Gun Talk

VL-16

Ya buddy...wasn't fast enough! I really didn't NEED them so no loss. I just hope we'll be able to buy ammo soon. Heck, I'll settle for just being able to find the gun I want, in stock (at a reasonable price)! Prior to Newtown, I had a list of 4 guns I was preparing to buy, but was holding off until I funded accessories for the guns I already had. So far, I have only found one of them in stock! I'm hoping by the end of the year, things will be back to somewhat normal levels.

HeloDude - I agree that you should put it somewhere out sight, but you make it sound like your average hooligan breaking into your house while you're gone is going to be able to break into or carry away your gun safe. If you drop more than $500, it should defeat the average thief and I doubt pros capable of defeating it are targeting my house. My gun safe was only $800 (bought it as an Lt and it was all I needed), but it is rated to an hour and weighs over 400#s empty. It is considerable work to move it empty with a dolly and someone helping me. With my guns and ammo inside, there is just no way someone is hauling it away without a hydraulic lift on a truck and some serious moving equipment. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I bet it is close to 1K full.

On a related note, anyone built or seen a safe room in their house? Not a crazy auto closing panic room, but basically a super storm cellar enclosed in concrete with a gun/fire safe door to get into it? I figure it'd be nice to be able to double the room up as a storm cellar and gun safe where I can hang the guns on the wall rather than have to dig through my safe to get the one I want.

HeloDude - I agree that you should put it somewhere out sight, but you make it sound like your average hooligan breaking into your house while you're gone is going to be able to break into or carry away your gun safe. If you drop more than $500, it should defeat the average thief and I doubt pros capable of defeating it are targeting my house. My gun safe was only $800 (bought it as an Lt and it was all I needed), but it is rated to an hour and weighs over 400#s empty. It is considerable work to move it empty with a dolly and someone helping me. With my guns and ammo inside, there is just no way someone is hauling it away without a hydraulic lift on a truck and some serious moving equipment. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I bet it is close to 1K full.

Somewhat sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that your safe is adequate (I jest a little). Here's the thing man--if you feel comfortable about your security situation, then that's cool, no problem. If some people feel they need something more secure, then that's cool too.

But to say that someone can't break into your safe rather quickly is not true in most cases. Typical gun safes are broken into with large pry bars (several youtube videos on it). Depending on where you put it in the house, and if you bolt it to the floor, determines how much more difficult it is to pry open due to decreased leverage. If it's not bolted to the floor, then a couple guys can knock it over and have a lot more leverage to open it. Outside of bolting it to the floor, the reduced ability to pry open a safe comes from the increased amount of steel used in the construction of the safe. There's a reason there are different ratings on safes, from TL-30, TL-15, and RSC.

Again, not saying you have a bad setup per se, I just want people to know the pros and cons of going with a less expensive 'safe'. It's similar to insurance...how much protection is enough? Well, it all comes down to what the user can and wants to afford in order to feel comfortable with the potential risk.

Break Break...

PSA has PMags again for $13--better be quick!

http://palmettostate...d-magazine.html

Edit: Beaver beat me to the Pmags

Edited by HeloDude

Hat's off to Cabela's, at least in Omaha, for not gouging on ammo prices.

When they have it - and you have to line up before the store opens in hopes of scoring their limit of 5 boxes of whatever came in - their prices are same as before the ammo drought.

Have scored 1,000 rounds of .45 in the last month by getting up early on a Saturday. Have also been skunked a few times when either nothing came in or it's not what I shoot, i.e .5.56, 7.62x39, etc.

Start watching around 2:30

Take a look at Sturdy Gun Safes and see how much steel that they use (at least on their high end models, with upgrades)...it's the amount of steel that makes the difference. On a low to medium quality Liberty safe, they use 12 gauge, maybe 10 gauge steel thickness, which isn't a lot.

Like I said man, don't take my word for it, take the UL's (Underwriters Laboratory) word for it. Most of your typical 'safes' achieve a RSC rating. There's a reason why Graffunder Safes get a UL TL-15 rating...they have a ton of steel and are heavy as hell.

I'm not saying a decent quality Liberty won't offer protection (how much it offers depends a lot on how you perceive the potential risk), especially if bolted to the floor, I'm just saying that they don't give as much protection as a lot of people think, that's all. I have seen a couple Graffunder Safes, and wow, you can definitely tell the difference...and when you see the price tag, you'll know why there is a difference. Most 'safe' companies list the 'total thickness' of the door...like the hollow part inside the door along with the fire protection offers much protection against theft?

Why do you think certain safes cost more than others?

Take a look at Sturdy Gun Safes and see how much steel that they use (at least on their high end models, with upgrades)...it's the amount of steel that makes the difference. On a low to medium quality Liberty safe, they use 12 gauge, maybe 10 gauge steel thickness, which isn't a lot.

Exactly why I've been shopping the Sturdy website for the last few weeks. Your comment about the pry bar immediately reminded me of the marketing video from sturdy where they show it not getting broken in to. That video (along with the crazy forklift one) are a few of the factors that have moved sturdy to the top of my list with Amsec BF as a close second. I'd love a Graffunder, but I'd rather spend the extra $5000 vs the Sturdy on guns to fill it with.

Edited by HU&W

Exactly why I've been shopping the Sturdy website for the last few weeks. Your comment about the pry bar immediately reminded me of the marketing video from sturdy where they show it not getting broken in to. That video (along with the crazy forklift one) are a few of the factors that have moved sturdy to the top of my list with Amsec BF as a close second. I'd love a Graffunder, but I'd rather spend the extra $5000 vs the Sturdy on guns to fill it with.

What kind/specs are you planning on getting?

As for the AMSEC BF series...again, not saying it's bad, but all it gets is an RSC rating. If you get a Sturdy Safe with a lot of steel, I think you made the better choice.

What kind/specs are you planning on getting?

As for the AMSEC BF series...again, not saying it's bad, but all it gets is an RSC rating. If you get a Sturdy Safe with a lot of steel, I think you made the better choice.

I've been thinking of the 32x24x60, fire lined with the 10ga steel liner and the stainless torch plate, manual lock, side shelves, and the safe-in-a-safe.

• Upvote 1

Also, Smokin, I think this is what you're looking for at the entrance to your saferoom.

thumvaultdooropen.jpg

Coincidence that the first words under this picture on the website are "Method of mounting..."? That is exactly the type of door I was thinking about. I think that if I designed it into the original building of the house with one foot reinforced concrete walls and roof, it would survive pretty much any storm and a door like that should keep out any thief.

Good points. I'd never seen videos of gun safes being broken into like that; pretty crazy. I stand corrected and will be bolting my safe to the floor in my next house. Reminds me of the videos on youtube of guys busting through most deadlocked front doors with one good kick.

Reminds me of the videos on youtube of guys busting through most deadlocked front doors with one good kick.

This is why i bought a cheap FOSCAM that can motion detect and send me emails direct to my iphone. Also using the iPhone app I can to talk through the camera and let anybody in the house know, "Hey %^&*, I've called the cops, get the $%^&*( out!"

Safe + security camera better than just safe. (IMHO)

When in doubt...ban .50 cal Barrett's in semi-auto. I mean with all those crimes being committed with a .50 cal, it's the only sensible thing to do, plus it's the cheapest and most readily available ammo you can find. I'm glad Governor Christie is looking out for the citizens of New Jersey. This will definitely solve all their gun problems.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHRISTIE_GUN_VIOLENCE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-04-19-17-53-46

I wonder if there will be a run on Barrett rifles by NJ LE depts before a ban on his rifles passes.

http://barrett.net/news/11

Considering Barrett stopped selling to California PDs or servicing their rifles after they banned them, I doubt the NJ LEOs will be able to get their hands on any if this law passes.