Gun Talk

VL-16

Just bought a Springfield XDs and decided I need a conceal holster and found that "Crossbreed Holsters" offers a military discount. Just enter code "MIL" for coupon code when you check out and you're good to go for a 10% discount. These holsters are made by a dude in Republic, MO. He offers a 2 week money back trial period and a lifetime warranty.

Edited by lloydbraun
  • Upvote 1

Not that I really needed a new AR, but saw that the Smith & Wesson MP15 'Optics Ready' was on sale at Bud's Police Supply for $679...that coupled with the SW $100 Rebate for us military types...and I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully I'll have by late next week. A mid level AR that I can abuse while keeping my nicer one in better shape.

http://www.budspolic...products_id=170

just hopped on this deal too. as an AR virgin, what do I need to know (sights, ammo, mx, etc)?

Just bought a Springfield XDs and decided I need a conceal holster and found that "Crossbreed Holsters" offers a military discount. Just enter code "MIL" for coupon code when you check out and you're good to go for a 10% discount. These holsters are made by a dude in Republic, MO. He offers a 2 week money back trial period and a lifetime warranty.

If the crossbreed holsters don't meet your ccw needs, you're doing something wrong IMHO. The quality of these things leaves most everything else in the dust.

just hopped on this deal too. as an AR virgin, what do I need to know (sights, ammo, mx, etc)?

I'll mostly defer to the AR experts on here (which I am not). But for ammo, I'm sure it will cycle almost anything, though I have a thing where I shoot cheap Russian ammo out of my AK's and cheaper brass out of my AR...there are some good deals out there if you shop around. As for sights, for starting out, I would get yourself a cheap red dot and/or some iron sights.

Good luck!

snapback.pngday man, on 03 November 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

MX: There's no need to clean it to surgical instrument cleanliness. Run the bolt and BCG fairly wet with a good lube; no lube needed in the barrel, chamber, or gas tube. I like Slip 2000 EWL. Opinions vary widely on lubes; there are even some who use a particular flavor of Mobil 1 motor oil (I think one of the motorcycle varieties). The lube battles on Arfcom and m4c are epic at times...

Ammo: IIRC, a 16" 1:9 barrel will shoot anything up to around 70gr pretty well. Much heavier than that and you could start seeing accuracy issues, depending on the loading. Some people swear by the cheap Russian stuff (Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, etc.), and some swear at it. Some people's rifles will function and shoot just fine with the cheap stuff, others have jamming, short-stroking, feeding issues, and other problems.

Sights: Personal preference, within your budget. I'm running fixed irons on my BCM and they work fine for me.

As far as cheap sights are concerned, there are a lot of people on arfcom that rant and rave about Primary Arm's micro dot. I've got one on my build and I love it. It's a great Aimpoint knock off for a fraction of the cost.

My Colt 6920 has an Eotech 512 which I also like; but like Jarhead said, it's a matter of personal preference and budget. You can spend as much or as little as you want on your rifle. Just do what fits your needs whether it's for home defense, plinking, hog hunting, SHTF, etc.

I have an XDs as well, whick holster did you get for it? Also, post up a review once you have it.

Was at the gun show this morning, trying hard to resist the temptation to buy a XDm 45 5.25 Comp Series...

Cheers! M2

I have an XDs as well, whick holster did you get for it?

I'm finding a Galco IWB STO 440 does the trick for me.

Also just received the Pearce Grips finger extension for the 5-round magazine. Haven't shot with it yet, but it feels much more controllable to me than without it. It's a simple remove and replace the magazine base plate; it does not increase the magazine capacity. Adds 5/8", just enough for all the fingers to fit on, and stay on, the grip. It still slips nicely into a front pocket with it as well.

I have an XDs as well, whick holster did you get for it? Also, post up a review once you have it.

Cheers! M2

M2,

I've got the SuperTuck Deluxe (Horsehide Leather) and think it's amazing. The comfort and design is the best I've come across. My only issue is that I'm using it to conceal a .45, which isn't all that concealable when it's shirt and short weather.

I recommend you focus on using iron sights before jumping on the RDS bandwagon. Daniel Defense and Troy both make great front and rear sights. Since your rifle has a railed gas block... Troy makes a front sight specific for mounting on gas blocks, since a gas block is not in the same plane as the rail on your upper receiver.

http://troyind.com/

https://danieldefense.com/

If you do go the red dot route, I recommend an Aimpoint over an EoTech. I have an Aimpoint Comp M4s and an EoTech 512. In the grand scheme of things, either company's product will serve you well, but the Aimpoint is superior in durability, battery life, and functionality. I do like the reticle better on the EoTech, however.

I don't have any advice to give on magnified optics since I don't run them on my AR-15s.

Your barrel is 1:9 twist, so it should run well with bullet weights up to and including 69gr. Anything above that, and the bullet might keyhole after it's left the barrel. This is due to stabilization. Both of my rifles are 1:7 twist, and I've had great success with 55gr FMJ ammo from Wolf and the ubiquitous XM193. There are some who don't like Wolf, but it's cheap, and it works. Both of those attributes keep me shooting. There are other bullet types to explore from varmint loads to bullet types designed for social encounters (soft point and open tip match). The following links are threads posted by Dr. Gary Roberts, a former Navy ballistician.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4344-5-56-mm-Duty-Loads

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4343-5-56-mm-55-gr-M193-Terminal-Performance-Thoughts

MX on AR-15s is no more difficult than on an AK type rifle. Many regard the AR -15 as unreliable, which is untrue. Keep you bolt and bolt carrier lubricated and you won't have trouble for thousands of rounds, assuming it is an AR-15 built by a quality manufacturer. You can clean the chamber, bore, bolt, bolt carrier, and the insides of the upper and lower every thousand rounds or so if you're anal about keeping the rifle clean. This should take 15 minutes at the most. Don't over clean your bore. I would run a brush once... maybe twice down the bore (chamber to muzzle) followed by a few patches to pick up the extra carbon.

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

ETA: On closer inspection of the picture of the S&W ORC, it does appear that the gas block is in the same plane as the upper receiver, which would negate the need for the special height front sight. I would confirm this with S&W though.

ETA2: Quoted wrong person.

Edited by Timbonez
  • Upvote 1

My favorite M1903 variant was one a guy built up for a CMP match -- it was an 03A3 with the peep sight setup, sitting in a Keystone C-stock, and with all the milled hardware from the 1903 (vs the stamped accessories from the 03A3). That's my dream setup.

I agree Hacker! After shooting this A4 clone more last week I am thinking about getting an 03A3 for the CMP Vintage category. Not sure if I'll build one or just get one from JRA.

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=208&category_id=43

Thanks for the XDs holster suggestions guys, I'll have to figure out which one I want.

Speaking of XD pistols, picked this up yesterday in .45 ACP...(canned photo)...

xdm_45_comp-tfb.jpgXDM52545_1-300x256.jpg

It's the 5.25" Competition Series model, almost exactly the same dimensions as my Springfield 1911s but a lot lighter.

Can't wait to get it to the range!

Cheers! M2

M2,

I've got the SuperTuck Deluxe (Horsehide Leather) and think it's amazing. The comfort and design is the best I've come across. My only issue is that I'm using it to conceal a .45, which isn't all that concealable when it's shirt and short weather.

I ordered the horsehide Mini-Tuck, I'm deployed right now, but when I get back I'll post up some pics with the XDs.

Ammo prices have already started to creep up. A few days ago a case of Wolf 7.62 was $220 shipped. Today it's $250. The panic buying has begun.

Yesterday, BCM posted this on their Facebook page:

"Here we go again! Ugh!!

Another post election industry surge. The entire industry will be overloaded. We are still shipping relatively quickly, but please allow an additional few days for order processing.

Thank you for your understanding.

Yesterday, BCM posted this on their Facebook page:

I just put in quite a large purchase from sgammo--you could literally see their inventory dwindling everytime you hit the refresh button. My guess is by tomorrow they'll be out of most Russian ammo--especially in 7.62 x 39 and what the little they had left of 5.45. They're a great business as I've ordered quite a bit from them in the past and their prices are typically on the lower end to begin with.

The Constitution says that it takes 2/3 of the Senate to pass a resolution to allow for a ratification of a treaty...now I'm fairly confident that this won't happen, not mention a good handful of Dem Senators are from very pro-gun states, but it never hurts to be that much more prepared.

Thoughts? M2??

Was at the gun show this morning, trying hard to resist the temptation to buy a XDm 45 5.25 Comp Series...

Cheers! M2

Just to throw it out there, but making your own Kydex holsters is pretty easy.

Good sources of how-to are:

http://www.ar15.com/...___.html&page=1

Just a public service announcement--

http://i.imgur.com/LpwJX.jpg]http://LpwJX.jpg

http://

O0Aqh.jpg

post-1048-0-01335500-1352482827_thumb.jp

Edited by FreudianSlip

Received and put on the Pearce pinkie grip to one of the XDs 5-round magazines.

Put 50 rounds through last night. MUCH better control with a full grip (sts).

It adds 5/8" to the height so it was well worth it to me. Still fits in a front pocket (holstered), adds better controllability and confidence.

Highly recommended. $9.95 for one - does not add magazine capacity like some of the other models do.

Are they still telling customers to expect a 6 week wait?

From what I remember, they are telling customers to expect a 4-6 week wait, I'll be home in about 3 more weeks so hopefully it's waiting for me when I get there. I'll post up a full review including wait time, pics of the XDs in the MiniTuck, etc.

I just put in quite a large purchase from sgammo--you could literally see their inventory dwindling everytime you hit the refresh button. My guess is by tomorrow they'll be out of most Russian ammo--especially in 7.62 x 39 and what the little they had left of 5.45. They're a great business as I've ordered quite a bit from them in the past and their prices are typically on the lower end to begin with.

The Constitution says that it takes 2/3 of the Senate to pass a resolution to allow for a ratification of a treaty...now I'm fairly confident that this won't happen, not mention a good handful of Dem Senators are from very pro-gun states, but it never hurts to be that much more prepared.

Thoughts? M2??

There has been some post-election gouging of prices, but I went by an Academy store yesterday after work and not only were the shelves filled as normal, but the firearms cases were as well. That said, Cheaper Than Dirt did increase their price on .223 by over a hundred dollars a case but I don't see such actions occurring much or lasting long.

As for the UN treaty, it's another thing I am not going to get worried about. At this past weekend's gun show, and even at the gun shop I stopped by on Thursday, people were talking like the Obama re-election is going to cause the Second Amendment to go away. As you said, it requires ratification by a two-thirds majority and I don't think even the Democrats are that stupid. It's just more mouthwash from Obama to look like he's keeping with the Democratic agenda. One-third of those Senate seats will be contested in two years, 20 of which are currently behind held by Democrats. That party has done a great job of walking a fine line of not pissing off the huge minority that doesn't support it, such an action as ratifying this UN treaty could be the catalyst to cause independents to join forces with the Republicans to replace those who supported it.

So far this hasn't been a repeat of 2008 in terms of overreaction to the election, thank God. I suspect as always some will try to take advantage of the paranoid, but for the most part I don't see any government action to suppress the rights of gun owners (the number and rights of which have been growing considerably over the past few years, Oklahoma just passed open carry effective 1 Nov of this year) as it would be very stupid to target that demographic. While some Democrats may preach gun control, I still think there is a large number of Conservatives in that party that realize what a stupid idea it is and will not join in on the effort.

Just my 2¢, your mileage may vary, etc...

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

The UN article is a red herring folks....this is the real deal. Complete ban of assault rifles, high caps & pistol grips - brought to you by the originator of the '94 AWB. Enjoy!

http://marketdailynews.com/2012/11/07/senator-dianne-feinstein-moves-to-ban-all-assault-rifles-high-capacity-magazines-and-pistol-grips/

By the way, I took all my guns to a bunch of private sellers i met on the forums and craigslist. I couldn't even tell you their names, but man did they buy everything I owned. All AR-15's, my shotguns, all my pistols, all my accessories and all my ammo. This was on Sat , nov 10, 2012 at my local walmart parking lot! Sure wish I could turn in my evil guns but I long-ago sold them now, come back later gestapo....