Gun Talk

VL-16

StoleIt,

I'm trying to decide if I want to get an AR or a SCAR next. It looks like you own both. Can I have your thoughts on which way you would go and why?

Those aren't all my guns in the rack, but if you'd like my opinion since I have fired both:

It depends. The SCAR-H is a good gun, but you can get an piston AR for less.

Buds has SCAR's in 223/556 for about $2,499. I'd say you could easily get a piston AR w/optic for that same price.

But, there will be a million AR-15's at the range that look exactly the same. I don't think I have seen a SCAR at the range...ever.

So really you can pay for the exclusivity and the pimp factor of being the only one out there with that gun...or you can save yourself some money and go with a piston AR.

I've been hearing a lot about this 'new' from Smith & Wesson that will be revealed later this week...seems that someone has leaded a picture...

MP-9-Shield-courtesy-reddit.com_1.jpg

What do you guys think? I personally love Smith & Wesson firearms...carry a MP40c on occasion, but would definitely go for an even slimmer gun as the MP40c is a bit on the heavy/large side. I'm assuming this will be a single stack, much like a Kahr, Kel Tec, etc. As much as I am a fan of the .40, I'll probably get this in a 9mm if that's all they come out with, though I'd be willing to wager that they'll also come out with a .40 version. Not a fan of what looks like to be an external safety, but what can you do.

StoleIt, I'm trying to decide if I want to get an AR or a SCAR next. It looks like you own both. Can I have your thoughts on which way you would go and why?

I've got multiple ARs and both sizes of the SCAR. My bottom line is if you want a .308 battle rifle get the SCAR17. If you want a 5.56 evil black rifle get an AR.

Don't get me wrong, the SCAR 16 is a great gun but it isn't so much better than an AR to be worth the $2300-$2500 you'll pay for it. To me, the big benefits are the fact it is lightweight, uses AR mags (for the most part), runs any ammo I've tried (55 gr Wolf to 5.56 pressure XM193), and has a folding stock. Negatives - SCAR specific accessories are a bit spendy, the trigger isn't great (back to expensive accessories), the bolt handle is just waiting for your thumb/hand to get in the way and parts availability is defnitely less than the AR series. I really like my SCAR but haven't beat it up enough yet to really determine how reliable it is but it is showing above average accuracy.

To me... If you don't have an AR, get an AR but spend some money to get a quality one (Colt, BCM, DD, KAC, Noveske). If you've got the AR bases covered buy a SCAR. If you are going to jump into the .308/7.62 battle rifle world, it should be a SCAR 17. I've owned almost every major 7.62 battle rifle over the years (no 7.62 Galil) and it is the most ergonomic and lightest recoiling 7.62 I've found. The new breed of 7.62s like the KAC ECs and HK MR762 are great but start around $4000 while the SCAR 17 can be found for around $2700-$3000 most days (the mags are a different beast).

Bf

To me... If you don't have an AR, get an AR but spend some money to get a quality one (Colt, BCM, DD, KAC, Noveske).

Quoted for truth... and skip the piston ARs. The AR-15 platform wasn't designed to handle them, and it has no appreciable benefit over a DI AR. DI guns are more than capable performers even when they're dirty but lubricated... http://www.slip2000.com/art-swat2.html and http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/.

Is a piston actually detrimental to performance though? I haven't researched it in-depth yet, but whenever I do end up buying an AR of my own I'm planning on getting a piston model. The extra cash is easily worth less time spent cleaning the bolt and chamber, to me at least. If pistons are less reliable for some reason, I may reconsider.

The extra cash is easily worth less time spent cleaning the bolt and chamber, to me at least.

Google "Filthy 14", do some open-minded reading, then reconsider your stance.

I learned how to clean an M-16 in the peacetime Marine Corps. I now know better (and to a somewhat lesser extent, so does the Corps...).

Is a piston actually detrimental to performance though? I haven't researched it in-depth yet, but whenever I do end up buying an AR of my own I'm planning on getting a piston model. The extra cash is easily worth less time spent cleaning the bolt and chamber, to me at least. If pistons are less reliable for some reason, I may reconsider.

Every company has a different piston standard. If you break it you'll need that company to be around to support it. Some of the bigger companies will be around for a long time but some of the smaller ones won't. Unless you are running something with a short barrel, in the sub-14.5 inch arena or using a suppressor a lot, I don't see the benefits of a piston system.

I have heard of issues with carrier tilt and weird wear on the receiver extension/buffer tube. I have heard arguments, but no proof that piston guns are less accurate than DI versions. No one can argue that pistons are much cleaner and cooler running...

I have a quality AR I shot for around 1600 to 1800 rounds without cleaning, just lubing with Slip 2000. I had no issues with it at all. The thing was filthy but ran because I lubed it, used quality magazines and ammo. Unless you are in the two specific scenarios I mentioned earlier, I think the piston isn't worth it.

One of the two links I provided is the article on Filthy 14. There is this continuous misperception about the AR-15 and the "fact" that it needs to be spotless to function correctly. If you're spending more than 15-20 minutes cleaning your standard DI AR... you're doing it wrong. If you run a suppressor a lot on a SBR there might be some advantage to a piston AR, but why not get a firearm that was designed around the piston design to begin with? That being said, a piston AR is still going to get filthy in the BCG and chamber with a suppressor. If you want to buy a piston AR, then go for it. You are gaining nothing but a lighter wallet.

Often overlooked fact: DI AR-15s use a piston system

Taken from another site: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99050

Edited by Timbonez

Most of my paranoia about cleaning AR's comes from firing hundreds of blanks and spending subsequent hours at the armory with my pinky in the chamber. (I'm an ex-jarhead too). I know they'll fire through all kinds of carbon if you dump enough lubricant on, but I'll never shoot a personal rifle with that kind of volume so that's not the issue. The problem is I'm still extremely uptight about storing my guns in near-spotless condition, and that bit of brainwashing may take a while to wear off.

Good points about the inherent design though. Something like the SR-556 looks like a better idea than a conversion kit, but 2 grand is a lot for just the rifle. Enough to give me plenty of time to think about it.

Flatley, if you don't already own an AR-15, I suggest that you purchase from a reputable manufacturer. BigFreddie listed several and there are also a few more. To start, look at the Colt 6920 carbine. They are the standard by which all other AR-15s are judged, and they are competitively priced. Up until the last couple of months you were able to find them for under $1000. Lately, however, prices have started to increase on firearms.

Edited by Timbonez

Ok, everyone needs to update their Christmas wish list.

You're 11 months behind the power curve man. On the positive side, it is pretty cool that you took enough interest in the video to post it.

So I was looking online at more places that sell Saiga's (I think I'm slightly obsessed), and came across one of these:

I'm sure guys like M2 have seen this, but this is first I've heard of such a 'bump fire' stock--pretty impressive if you ask me.

M2 (and anyone else)--any info on the Slide Fire Solutions Stock? I have a fairly new Rock River AR that I haven't done too much too, but it seems that this SSAR-15 might be better used with a cheaper AR since it might cause damage to the gun if you are always using it for 'rapid fire'.

I also read on a few other forums that they're developing one for the AK...we shall see!

You're 11 months behind the power curve man. On the positive side, it is pretty cool that you took enough interest in the video to post it.

Yeah I wasn't about to go through 140 pages of posts to see if it had already been posted. My bad.

Well, here are pics of my new (to me) SLR-95...

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Secondly, a "concept" pic of the Bulgarian Army surplus furniture I got from Northridge yesterday. The stock will require some work to fit, and I need to add the lower tang that I got from CNC Warrior and I need a shorter bolt for the pistol grip; but this gives a general idea of what it would look like with everything installed...

IMG_1108.jpg

I'm still not sure which route I'm going to take on this AK...

Cheers! M2

Well, here are pics of my new (to me) SLR-95...

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Secondly, a "concept" pic of the Bulgarian Army surplus furniture I got from Northridge yesterday. The stock will require some work to fit, and I need to add the lower tang that I got from CNC Warrior and I need a shorter bolt for the pistol grip; but this gives a general idea of what it would look like with everything installed...

IMG_1108.jpg

I'm still not sure which route I'm going to take on this AK...

Cheers! M2

I would probably go with new synthetic furniture. The old school, used wood look would be great but the 90 degree gas block would look out of place...

Do you plan on taking the comp off? I can't remember if these barrels are threaded underneath them or not...

Most of the responses I've gotten have favored the wooden furniture, but most of the AK enthusiasts I know are "purists" who prefer more traditional looks over the modern tactical (although these rifles only were imported from 1994-98).

I know the gas block is more akin to the AK-74/AK-100 series rifles, my Saiga SGL-20 has one just like it; but I am leaning towards refurnishing the Bulgarian set and installing it. I just like the more classic look on my AKs, plus the aforementioned Saiga has the US-made polymer stuff on it. Honestly, the thumbhole stock reminds me too much of a MAK-90, not one of my favorite AKs when it comes to looks. I have a SKS-M with a thumbhole stock and it doesn't look too bad, but on an AK I am just not a fan.

Oh, and the barrel's not threaded, and that muzzle brake is pinned on; so most likely it'll stay as there are limited options for replacing it. Plus, I understand it is pretty effective in reducing recoil.

And I have to announce I am seriously curtailing any future acquisitions after this one, a milled AK was on top of my target list for quite some time and now that I have one, I have to throttle back on the amount of money I am spending on firearms. As you might guess, it is a considerable amount and having just written a sizable check to Uncle Sam for this year's taxes; it's one place I need to exhibit a little more spending discipline.

I actually summed up the amount of money I've spent on guns over the past six years and it is a bit shocking; sure I've got a nice collection because of it but I need to start funneling money to more productive investments.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm gonna pass up any good deals that may pass my way, I'm just going to ease up on the impulse buying I've been so apt to succumb to over the past few years.

At least that's the plan...we'll see how it goes!

Cheers! M2

Here's a quick range report. Still learning and improving. Left side was 168gr and right 175gr. Which one is better? No definitive answer

FNH SPR A1a (.44 MOA shot in factory) with:

"HARRIS series S Model LM Bipod"

"Nightforce 30MM Ultralite ring set / medium"

"Leopold Mk4 8.5-25x55" scope."

Cheap sling and cheek pad

post-4264-0-47509600-1334540379_thumb.jp

post-4264-0-29752800-1334540389_thumb.jp

Other AR guru's...I am in the process of building the lightest non-SBR AR I possibly can.

I am looking for opinions on barrels. I want to get a 14.5 inch with a pinned flash suppressor.

I was also throwing around the idea of fluted or dimpled barrels. Lightest barrel I have found so far is 1lb 7oz (standard lightweight, not fluted or dimpled).

Other AR guru's...I am in the process of building the lightest non-SBR AR I possibly can.

I am looking for opinions on barrels. I want to get a 14.5 inch with a pinned flash suppressor.

I was also throwing around the idea of fluted or dimpled barrels. Lightest barrel I have found so far is 1lb 7oz (standard lightweight, not fluted or dimpled).

Just curious....why would you go through the ass pain of getting a Class 3 for 1.5 inches of reduced barrel length? Don't get me wrong, 1.5'' can be a substantial difference in life...I just don't think it applies in this situation though.

Just curious....why would you go through the ass pain of getting a Class 3 for 1.5 inches of reduced barrel length? Don't get me wrong, 1.5'' can be a substantial difference in life...I just don't think it applies in this situation though.

It's not NFA/Class III if the flash hider is pinned to make the overall length 16".