Gun Talk

VL-16

Answering the "how often do you drink?" question as any more than about 1-2/month can also result in unwanted follow up appointments from Public Health, as well.

You hit the press-to-test on that?

Silly human.

Sent my paper work in today for a CMP H&R M-1 Garand.... Have been meaning to order one for years $595 for a service grade. Anxious to see what a service grade looks like.

Pretty good for a 50+ year-old battle rifle, if my Service Grade SA is any indication.

M2, I'm assuming you're purchasing from private individuals. What are you using to find these guns? Classifieds? Forums?

GP

I am constantly on the hunt for good deals, many are private sales but I also know several firearms dealers who have found some particular items for me. I also have several forums and online sites I frequent that have been somewhat lucrative. They're not the well-known national ones, I've had better luck on the regional boards and not just those for this area. The Tula M44 I got last weekend was off a small board up in Michigan, I just used my outstanding Google-fu skills to find it!

Some days I think it's more fun to track down something I are looking for than actually finding it... :rock:

On a different note, my Mom just sent me this pic of my Dad in Korea, he's got a M1 carbine in his hand...

korea55.jpg

He was the First Sergeant for a combat engineering unit. He later received a battlefield commission, and here's a pic of him with the 1911 he carried as an officer...

korea110.jpg

I think I need to add a M1 to the collection, just because Dad carried one!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Well, I picked up the WASR-10, which turned out to be a WASR-10/63 (there are arguments as to whether there is any difference between the two, but some feel the latter is better). It was in pretty good shape but the furniture was mismatched. No problem there, I've got spares! :mosh:

So I get it home after the 140-mile round trip to Nixon, TX to meet the guy selling it, and transform it into this...

WASR10-636.jpg

WASR10-637.jpg

I added some extra Romy handguards I got a few months back, and a Romy grip I took off my Draco. I had an old leather sling that I believe is Romanian as well. I had hoped to put on some Polish swelled handguards I picked up this past weekend at a gun show, but they require some work before they'd fit, so I stuck with the Romy set I had.

The rifle had two steel mags, a cleaning kit and a bayonet with it; and it was Henderson Defense Industries "certified" meaning they inspected it to ensure it didn't suffer from any of the old problems that plagued the WASRs (mostly canted sights).

The bayonet was a bit intriguing, as I have several Romanian bayonets and it looked nothing like any I had ever seen...

EastGermanyAK-47Bayonet3.jpg

So I did some research and found out that it is actually an East German AKM Type I "Transitional" bayonet, the knife is the usual AKM type I but the scabbard is resin (not metal) of various colors depending on the country of origin and does not need a rubber insulator. Only East Germany and Russian had variations of this type. Not overly rare, but still sweet!

To add gravy to it all, a buddy of mine here in SA has an accessory kit (bayonet, oil can, and a sling) that he got with a WASR he sold a while back. He said I could have it and hopefully he'll bring it to the gun show tomorrow.

Cheers! M2

M2, I knew/know nothing about them there Commie typewriters, but have learned a lot here at baseops' non-PC gun thread. (Funny how every gun is fantastic in the gun magazines (no pun intended)).

But, does it change the value of the weapon to hang different furniture?

Also thanks to baseops' thread, I've got a Saiga semi-auto shotgun on my wish list now.

Just think of the charities I could be donating to instead...

An argument can be made that spending on items like these grows the economy much better than charity donation...making more people prosperous, and fewer dependent on charity...therefore it is morally equivalent to purchase a Saiga as it is to donate to some charity. At least, that's how I explain it to the spouse.

M2, I knew/know nothing about them there Commie typewriters, but have learned a lot here at baseops' non-PC gun thread. (Funny how every gun is fantastic in the gun magazines (no pun intended)).

But, does it change the value of the weapon to hang different furniture?

Also thanks to baseops' thread, I've got a Saiga semi-auto shotgun on my wish list now.

Brick

I could, but with an entry-level AK like the WASR, it really won't make any difference. Actually, it might increase the value to have nicer furniture on it.

AKs have nowhere near the accessories that the AR does, but you can swap out the stocks and handguards. I stick within the confines of what is considered "original" in that I am not a big fan of these modern rails and stuff. This is just not to my liking...

ak47_tactical_Ak_47_vs_AR_15_Whos_the_best-s450x317-132345-580.jpg

The only AK I have that breaks that norm is the Draco, which I've put an aftermarket handguard set on as well as a rear sling plate. Still, I could easily put it back to stock or something close (I've been thinking about putting the Polish swelled handguards on it).

I guess my infatuation with Commie weapons derives from the years of studying them during the Cold War. I've had a few close-up encounters with them so when the time was I no longer got to shoot the USAF's or NATO's weapons and ammo; my interests turned towards the weaponry of our enemies.

Cheers! M2

M2, Your picture is more or less exactly what I'd want to do with my new rifle. Question for you though as the resident expert... what's your take on optics for the AK-47 platform? Worth it or no? I've done some reading that suggests that getting them to hold a zero is difficult, or just not worth the effort.

Brick

I could, but with an entry-level AK like the WASR, it really won't make any difference. Actually, it might increase the value to have nicer furniture on it.

AKs have nowhere near the accessories that the AR does, but you can swap out the stocks and handguards. I stick within the confines of what is considered "original" in that I am not a big fan of these modern rails and stuff. This is just not to my liking...

ak47_tactical_Ak_47_vs_AR_15_Whos_the_best-s450x317-132345-580.jpg

The only AK I have that breaks that norm is the Draco, which I've put an aftermarket handguard set on as well as a rear sling plate. Still, I could easily put it back to stock or something close (I've been thinking about putting the Polish swelled handguards on it).

I guess my infatuation with Commie weapons derives from the years of studying them during the Cold War. I've had a few close-up encounters with them so when the time was I no longer got to shoot the USAF's or NATO's weapons and ammo; my interests turned towards the weaponry of our enemies.

Cheers! M2

keepthatcrapoff.jpg

See, this is much better!

arshortze0.jpg

I simply prefer the AK the way MTK envisioned it!

ak47_3a.jpg

I honestly don't expect to have to deal with SHTF or Zombies with my AK, and if so my Saiga would be more than capable for any situation I go up against. The AK has a well-defined operational range and is very capable within it, and a man's gotta know his limitations!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Why doesn't Vickers credit Krebs for his safety? Also, I would never sacrifice reliability for a more common round (which, by the way, 7.62x39 is pretty easy to find on this side of the ocean). Lastly, "as long as you don't shoot a lot of full auto, heat won't be a problem?!?" WTF is that? There's a chance that crap can't take the heat? Then why in the hell would anyone put it on their rifle? :bash:

Sorry, I don't agree with much of what he said in that video. Sure, he could probably outshoot me, but I know a lot of AK experts who would disagree with him as well...

The red dot and optics you find on an AK are normally made for a different platform, mainly the the AR style rifle. Putting anything that close to the gas tube on any weapon is going to require more care regardless of weapon or optic. It is not the fault of the optic, but actually a design limitation of the AK. Since the weapon design is over 64 years old, and red dots and glass weren't even considered for the AK at the time, this is understandable. If Square wants to run an optic on his AK, I'm sure he won't have a problem. As to the availability of 7.62x39, yes there is quite a bit of it here, but it is mostly surplus and Wolf. That ammo has shitty terminal ballistics against two-legged creatures. The few 7.62x39 offerings that do offer good terminal effects are not as abundant and are more expensive. His statement about 5.56/.223 availability is spot on. You make it sound like his comment on taking "a little bit of a reliability hit" sound like the the AK will no longer function like it should. The rifle isn't going to turn into a jam-o-matic. Regardless, I didn't post the video about the caliber. It was meant to give Square an idea about his options for adding shit to his AK.

Stockton

Russian Rifle Caliber Wounding Effects (The post is by a Doctor Gary K. Roberts)

M2, Larry Vickers is a highly respected firearms instructor with a lot more experience and training than most people on the planet. He is an AK expert and offers carbine classes exclusive to the AK. He is partly responsible for the design of the HK45. Additionally, he is a highly regarded 1911 pistolsmith (no longer building), and has also created several replacement parts for several firearm designs.

Vickers Tactical

HK45 Interview with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers

I understand you may not agree with him, but his knowledge and suggestions are backed by experience so it is worth a look. It's also not the be-all and end-all, as there are several different ways to crack an egg.

Edited by Timbonez

T-bonez

I know who Vickers is, but also keep in mind that this is just his opinion and there are others who may not agree. I for one would never consider an AK in 5.56, if buying something in that caliber I would choose a rifle that was designed for it. Also, I have one of those Krebs enhanced safeties on my Khyber Pass, it is an excellent design but for some reason I wasn't able to get it to work on my Arsenal. Since Marc Krebs designed and built it, you'd think Vickers would mention his name and give him credit.

But the most ridiculous comment was concerning the melting of the accessories on the barrel. Seriously? I wouldn't put anything on a rifle that has any chance of failing due to the heat.

Inasmuch as I respect his credentials, he is still only one man's opinion and call me a crusty old Commie bastard, but I don't think AKs were meant to have all kinds of stuff hung on them. Get an AR if you want to Barbie up a rifle! :nob:

Cheers! M2

T-bonez

I know who Vickers is, but also keep in mind that this is just his opinion and there are others who may not agree. I for one would never consider an AK in 5.56, if buying something in that caliber I would choose a rifle that was designed for it. Also, I have one of those Krebs enhanced safeties on my Khyber Pass, it is an excellent design but for some reason I wasn't able to get it to work on my Arsenal. Since Marc Krebs designed and built it, you'd think Vickers would mention his name and give him credit.

But the most ridiculous comment was concerning the melting of the accessories on the barrel. Seriously? I wouldn't put anything on a rifle that has any chance of failing due to the heat.

Inasmuch as I respect his credentials, he is still only one man's opinion and call me a crusty old Commie bastard, but I don't think AKs were meant to have all kinds of stuff hung on them. Get an AR if you want to Barbie up a rifle! :nob:

Cheers! M2

He never says your optic or light will melt, but the high heat could damage them. The optic he has on that AK is an Aimpoint Micro T1, probably one of the best red dots you can buy today. Under extreme conditions it will operate like it's supposed to, but several hundred degrees of heat is likely to damage anything. I agree with you that if you want to add shit to a rifle it should be done to a modular system, like the AR-15. But it's also the 21st century, so it's not unreasonable to expect people to put that same shit on an AK. Those damn kids and their rock-n-roll, you know?

Unrelated to AKs and ARs, I just won this auction on GunBroker about an hour ago. It's a S&W Model 28, Highway Patrolman. It has a 4" barrel that is pinned and has a recessed cylinder. I plan on refinishing it in something a little more durable and corrosion resistant than the matte bluing it currently wears. I'll also buy a set of S&W wood grips, but I'll keep the rubber ones as well.

post-5322-0-95113800-1301887462_thumb.jp

Edited by Timbonez

T-bonez

Really nice! I love old revolvers, I may have mentioned I have a 1954 Colt .357 Magnum (pre-Python) that I inherited from my father when he passed away. He loved that pistol, and although I've shot it (as has my son), I've put it away for safe keeping. That's why I grabbed a Ruger GP100, so I'd have something that I can shoot .357 Magnums through...

Cheers! M2

M2, this one will definitely be more of a shooter after I get it refinished in something more durable and corrosion resistant. I also have a ~1962 S&W Model 10 w/5" bbl, a Model 27 w/6" or 6.5" (don't remember exactly) bbl from the 80s, a Model 19 w/2.5" bbl, a Model 36, and a current production Model of 1917 with that stupid lock on it. I removed the lock parts and added a circular gap filler that one of the members on S&W forum makes and sells. It works quite nicely. All of them are pinned and recessed except for the Model 27 and the current production 1917. I love S&W revolvers almost as much as I love Hi Powers and 1911s.

Edited by Timbonez