Gun Talk

VL-16

Hey guys,

I tried looking through this expansive thread and did a couple of searches, but came up with squat. I am in the market for a .22 pistol. I like the Walther P22, but it is too small for my hand. I want something that resembles a tactical type handgun. I'm not a fan of the Ruger line of .22s. What do you all think?

Browning Buckmark. I got to shoot a target model with a very sweet stock trigger.

Edit...not so much on the tactical, though.

Edited by The_Ginger

Mosquito's are widely regarded as being prone to jams. Pretty much the only Sig product that's a dog.

+2 on the Buckmark. Buddy of mine has one with an EO-Tech reflex sight mounted on a top rail. Pretty tactical looking and accurate to a forehead at 25 yards. The Buckmarks are also notoriously reliable and easier to disassemble/clean than the Ruger's.

You might also want to consider the Kel Tec PLR-22. I've never fired one personally, but it's a pretty sweet looking tactical .22 pistol, has good online reviews, and a low pricetag.

Edited by HU&W

Browning Buckmark. I got to shoot a target model with a very sweet stock trigger.

Edit...not so much on the tactical, though.

This.

You're going to have much better luck with a pistol that was designed for the .22LR, and even then there are still some hiccups. The tactical ones are all based off of combat handguns using a more powerful, centerfire cartridge. That and combat handguns are designed to be recoil operated, while anything smaller than a 9mm is mostly some type of blowback operation. Designs like the SIG Mosquito, any other SIG .22 conversion, Walther P22, and .22 conversions for 1911s change the operation from recoil to blowback in order to function correctly with the .22LR; but there is something lost in the translation. If you're dead-set on getting a .22 pistol that looks like a "tacticool," combat handgun make sure you use high velocity, high quality ammo (like I said before). It's going to be a bit more expensive than buying a brick (ususally 550rds) at Walmart, but it will save you a lot of frustration. Plus it's still a lot cheaper than your regular fighting cartridges; buying a brick of Federal Premium .22LR is like $0.02-$0.04/rd and CCI Mini Mags are around $0.06-$0.07/rd. Try the CCI Mini Mags, as they usually do well in the tactical looking .22 pistols. If you don't want to spend $7 on 100rds of the CCI stuff the Federal Premium bricks could possibly work. They are billed as high velocity cartridges, but their reliability in those guns is hit or miss. Some have had good success with them, whereas others have not. YMMV

So in short, get a .22 pistol designed to shoot .22s: Browning Buckmark, Beretta NEOS, and Smith & Wesson M22 are all good choices. If it were me, I'd get a Smith & Wesson Model 17 or 18, but that's because I love revolvers so much.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Ruger makes a good .22 as well.

Edited by Timbonez

On the Mosquito.... 2nd the CCI minimag comment, others tend to cause issues, at least until you have 1000 rounds thru the gun. If you buy one used, ensure it is an "A06xxxx" serial or later, or any of the "F0XXXXXX", as "A05XXXX" and prior were manufactured before Sig made some significant improvements to prevent FTF and FTEs.

I have one, 300+ rounds of CCI minimag thru with 0 fouls, then on my first mag of Winchester HV, 40% malfunctions. Back to CCI, no issues. After another 700 rounds of CCI, the brick .22LR started to feed with less issues.

There is also a .22LR conversion for the Glock 19/23, tho I've never tried it.

2sBlind!!!!

Interesting, but it won't find a spot in my pistol safe...

kel_tec_pmr_30_2-tfb.jpg

Kel-Tech have developed a new pistol which chambers the .22 Magnum (WMR) rimfire cartridge. The small size of the .22 WMR has allowed Kel-Tec to squeeze 30 rounds into the double-stacked magazine (a new original design), yet maintain a comfortable grip size.

The PMR-30 has a unique hybrid blow back / locked breech recoil system. In order to accommodate a wide range of ammunition, the pistol automatically adjusts between locked breach and blowback based on internal pressure. I look forward to seeing how this system works.

pmr30_8297-tfb.jpg

pmr30_ammunition_8317-tfb.jpg

(Linky)

Most comments are complaining that it is not a .22LR!

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2
would-->won't

So I had a little run in this past weekend and one woman should thank her lucky stars that I decided not to carry that night. She wound up in jail rather than the hospital/morgue.

Took the wife out to dinner and a movie with plans of maybe hitting a bar afterwards (hence why I left the XD at home). I pulled into a parking space that had just come open in a pretty crowded lot. As I get out I see a white Chrysler speeding towards us and comes to a screeching halt turning to block me in. This woman rolls down her window and says to me "That was my space! I had my blinker on!" Now mind you I had seen this Chrysler at the far end of the lot (a good 75 yards away from the space I pulled into). Me being me and the attitude this woman had displayed I just shrugged and said "Sorry". The wife and I start to depart the area on foot and head towards the restaurant. This woman backs her car up about 30 feet, puts it in drive and floors it while swerving towards us. I push the wife in between two parked cars and jump out of the way. Her car missing me by no more than 3 or 4 inches (her car actually hitting my coat but not my person). At this point is where I most likely would have drawn my weapon, but since I left it at home I called the police instead. Lucky for me this was witnessed by an off duty officer who had also called it in.

The ended up catching her a few minutes later when she was spotted still driving erratically and reckless in another parking lot of the same entertainment complex. She got booked for DUI, reckless endangerment, and a host of other misdemeanors.

Just goes to show, there are times when you may need to defend yourself or others. It worked out for us this time. The wife, who had usually gave me a hard time when I carry, had a pretty good eye opening experience and now I think she sees the otehr side of the argument.

So I had a little run in this past weekend and one woman should thank her lucky stars that I decided not to carry that night. She wound up in jail rather than the hospital/morgue.

I'm glad they caught the woman and you and your wife are fine. If you were carrying, what would you have done? Popped a cap thru her windshield? It doesn't sound to me to be a good situation where the CC and drawing a weapon would have helped, in fact, it could have made your night more painful.

I'm glad they caught the woman and you and your wife are fine. If you were carrying, what would you have done? Popped a cap thru her windshield? It doesn't sound to me to be a good situation where the CC and drawing a weapon would have helped, in fact, it could have made your night more painful.

Maybe. I didn't put in that after she passed us she stopped and put it in reverse, but must've changed her mind and continued on forward. She had her drivers window down and when she stopped she was no more than a few feet past us. It would of been maybe 4 or 5 feet from me to her drivers door/window. I just know that I felt and still do feel that my life and the lives of others was being threatened and if drawing and firing could of stopped a potential death of an innocent I would of done it. I'm sure a huge headache would have ensued afterwards (bigger than I have now with having to go to court, etc) but in those split seconds you don't really think of that... you think of ending the threat.

Guest merlock

Maybe. I didn't put in that after she passed us she stopped and put it in reverse, but must've changed her mind and continued on forward. She had her drivers window down and when she stopped she was no more than a few feet past us. It would of been maybe 4 or 5 feet from me to her drivers door/window. I just know that I felt and still do feel that my life and the lives of others was being threatened and if drawing and firing could of stopped a potential death of an innocent I would of done it. I'm sure a huge headache would have ensued afterwards (bigger than I have now with having to go to court, etc) but in those split seconds you don't really think of that... you think of ending the threat.

Glad you and the wife came thru ok. Have you talked to the DA yet? Seems to me (IANAL) that this could be grounds for Aggravated Assault as well. Heck, here in GA, if someone is tailgating you and you tap your brakes, it is considered Agg. Assault.

Too bad Trijicon caved to pressure from the media, military and some former USAF officer and now sleazy lawyer named Mikey Weinstein and will no longer be putting the references on ACOGs. The Marines even threatened to cancel the contract because of it and Gen Petraeus called the practice of putting the references on the sights "disturbing"... Fucking stupid that something almost no one noticed for over 20 years. All it took was one sleaze bag lawyer bitching about it and it because a huge deal.

Trijicon caves...

Too bad Trijicon caved to pressure from the media, military and some former USAF officer and now sleazy lawyer named Mikey Weinstein and will no longer be putting the references on ACOGs. The Marines even threatened to cancel the contract because of it and Gen Petraeus called the practice of putting the references on the sights "disturbing"... ######ing stupid that something almost no one noticed for over 20 years. All it took was one sleaze bag lawyer bitching about it and it because a huge deal.

Trijicon caves...

Agreed. I'm so happy that we aren't waging a holy war against people who are waging a holy war on us. Hell, I've had an ACOG for 6+ years and I never knew it was there! Besides, all the verses quoted referred to light which is what Trijicon does better than anyone else. I read an interesting article about New Zealand getting mad over this as well. They want ALL 275 of their sights modified but can't live without them since they are the best sights of their kind!

BF

Just heard about this, it's not a bad deal! Sig-Sauer is offering a $300 off rebate on their 556 rifle (excludes pistols) for 45 days (Jan 23-Mar 8). Click on the link for the rebate form.

Cheers! M2

I'd love to get my hands on that 556 DMR... I don't think the wife will let me cancel our vacation to Australia for it though.

Lackland BX is now selling limited quantities of handgun and rifle ammo. Mostly self-defense pistol ammo, but also some shotgun shells. They also had some Golden Tiger 7.62x39, but not nearly as cheap as I have found elsewhere. Still, it's a positive sign!

I have fallen victim to a whoop-ass case of Springfield SOCOM 16 fever. In scoping out ‘the cure’, I’ve noticed that there are two versions offered: the classic model AA9626 and a “California compliant” model AA9626CA.

I don’t live in California and don’t want to inadvertently by a CA compliant model if it is somehow inferior or limited. Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it the gas system, mussel break, sights, magazine, magazine port, safety system, length or WTF?

I have fallen victim to a whoop-ass case of Springfield SOCOM 16 fever. In scoping out ‘the cure’, I’ve noticed that there are two versions offered: the classic model AA9626 and a “California compliant” model AA9626CA.

I don’t live in California and don’t want to inadvertently by a CA compliant model if it is somehow inferior or limited. Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it the gas system, mussel break, sights, magazine, magazine port, safety system, length or WTF?

I believe it is the muzzle brake. M14/M1A rifles usually have a flash hider on the barrel. CA and a few other states see this as an evil device so they require that you have a muzzle break on the weapon instead. Ironically, the muzzle brake works really well and helps you control the weapon better during rapid fire strings. I guess CA wants to see where you're shooting from but they don't care about how many people you gun down because you were so quick and accurate with that brake. Idiots... :banghead:

Everything else should be the same.

There are some AR-15 compensators/brakes that also have flash suppression qualities, but are legally defined as a brake. The PWS 556 is a good example that works really well (watch the night fire comparison video). I'm sure there are others like it for the M1A and 7.62 varieties.

Wouldn't matter to me, after reading some of the “Commie-fornia” laws concerning ARs/AKs, there is no fucking way I would buy any weapon that complies with them if even on principle...

No wonder that state is so fucked up! But the bigger problem is that a large number of the liberals from there are making their way to Texas, and are trying to fuck up this state the same way they did their old one. Go read about the recent debacle up in Austin, where the BATFE and Austin PD forced a gun show sponsor to sign a contract requiring all transactions at his show be done through a FFL.

Texas law allows private sales to other Texans without going through a FFL, but this decision was a clear and dangerous precedence to violate that right!

Needless to say, it will most likely result in the end of gun shows up in Austin; but I am happy to report that the shows down here in San Antonio have not been similar threatened, and it is business as usual in the Alamo city! :violent-smiley-017:

Cheers! M²