Gun Talk

VL-16

Well, no pics yet but yesterday I had quite the day! First, I drove out to Boerne (a small town about a half hour outside of SA in the Hill Country) in the Jeep to check out Barkleys Home and Ranch, which carries a lot of guns. Unfortunately, they had handguns and hunting rifles, but no mil-surp rifles like I am looking for. Still, the guy at the counter showed me some sweet rifles, including an especially tasty Springfield SOCOM II! :rock:

I had a second stop in Boerne, a gun and pawn shop that I knew about but have never visited. They had a small selection that included one SKS, which turned out to be a nice Factory 306 Norinco. It had the original sling and cleaning kit, but was missing the spike bayonet, which is no problem because my "parts guy" at the gun show sells 'em for $10. So I snagged it. I wanted a full-size Norinco to go with the paratrooper that I have inbound, so I was happy as it was a good deal.

Then I got back to SA and was running some more errands when I found myself at Texas Guns. Now this place has a nice selection but isn't known to have good prices, but I decided to stop by anyway. Well, they had two Mosin-Nagant M44s on the walls, the first had a laminated stock and was pretty beat up, but the second had a natural stock and was in nice condition. It was a bit higher in price than I have seen, but since I haven't seen one this nice in a long while I decided to snag it as well!

Yeah, I got "the look" from the Frau when I got back home for the second time with a new rifle in hand; but she's cool about it (mainly because she wants to buy a grandfather clock, and this gives her more fodder to do so!). I am seriously happy scoring these two rifles, and think I'll need to take a break from gun buying for a while...

Cheers! M2

Thanks T-bonez, I will be much happier when my paratrooper arrives...

pop_wm_1579207.jpg

It has a spike bayonet and is in excellent shape. It is just taking forever to get here.

I'll get some pics of the weekend acquisitions up soon!

Cheers! M2

For all you M1 Garand owners out there, does anyone use commercial 30.06 ammo? CMP is out and I'd like to find an alternative. I heard Federal is now making an M1 specific round.

Thanks

CMP is out of HXP?? SHIT! I waited too long to buy more....

Yes, you can fire commercial 30.06 through a Garand. BUT... you MUST use an adjustable gas plug to do so safely.

I've heard of (but never seen) the Garand-specific Federal load. Biggest thing I heard is that it's pretty $pendy...

CMP is out of HXP?? SHIT! I waited too long to buy more....

Yes, you can fire commercial 30.06 through a Garand. BUT... you MUST use an adjustable gas plug to do so safely.

I've heard of (but never seen) the Garand-specific Federal load. Biggest thing I heard is that it's pretty $pendy...

You can still find it but it is more expensive at gun shows and on Gunbroker. I have only seen the Federal "special" ammo for the M1A and not the Garand yet. I do bet it will be fairly expensive and much more than the Greek stuff. I wonder about the rumored South Korean import of Garands and Carbines - I hope there would be some ammo involved as well. The Korean .30 Cal ammo was pretty decent.

And for those in California - did you see the law Arnold signed about ammo - it just got a lot harder for a law abiding citizen to buy handgun ammo.

BF

You have a disease when it comes to the milsurp rifles now.

'Tis true! I found a paratrooper locally and may just snag it instead or in addition to the one I have inbound...

8214882.jpg

Excellent condition unmodified Norinco SKS Paratrooper. This is the version with the 16-1/2 inch barrel, short spike bayonet, sling, buttstock cleaning kit. In original configuration with chinese wood stock, chinese sling. Price is $325 Firm.

But I swear after this I am going to slow down...at least until I find a Mosin-Nagant M38 in ripe condition! :rock:

Cheers! M2

For those of you who have a conceal carry permit in your respective state, what do you carry? I usually choose between three different handguns. It's dependent upon what I'm wearing and what I feel like carrying. The first is my SIG P220 Carry, .45 ACP 8+1 in the weapon and I carry an extra magazine. My second is my SIG P239 in .40 S&W. 7+1 in the weapon and I also carry an extra magazine for it. The third is my Smith & Wesson Model 36, a .38spcl. 5 in the cylinder, and surprise surprise I carry a speedloader with another 5. The S&W is the easiest to carry since it's the smallest and lightest. I've spent a lot of time practicing on all three, especially the P220 lately as that is my newest handgun. I carry the extra mag/speedloader in my left pocket to facilitate a faster reload (I'm left handed but shoot right handed). Here's a picture: from top to bottom P220, P239, S&W M36. There is a quarter for scale.

EDIT: For spelling and phonics...

Edited by Timbonez

For those of you who have a conceal carry permit in your respective state, what do you carry?

Normally I carry my Glock 21 with a 13rnder in the weapon (figure that's all I should need). Lately (when I'm not deployed) I've been carying my S&W 629 with a 4" barrel and a speed loader. I don't really need a .44 Mag as a carry weapon, but it's actually less bulky than the Glock and easier to conceal. Unfortunately neither weapon is very concealable when wearing warm weather cloths so I've been in the market for a good compact. I've been looking at some .40s (Walther PPS is in the lead right now) and .380s, but I've been thinking seriously about a Kimber lately.

Guest merlock

For those of you who have a conceal carry permit in your respective state, what do you carry?

I mostly open carry--Sig P226 (.40), 12+1, in a Bianchi holster.

XD-45 Service. I have on a few rare occasions carried either my Taurus PT111 or the PT709; but 99% of the time it is the Springfield...and one of the others as a BUG if possible...

I carry a Bersa .380 CC. It's 7+1 and it even has concealed carry in the name. I can carry it in shorts and a t-shirt and it was cheap. $250 means I don't care too much if it rattles around in the bottom of the boat or jeep floor board.

thun380_CC_lg.jpg

I inherited my grandfather's old "lemon squeezer" from my Dad, a S&W .38 New Departure Safety Hammerless, circa 1920. On the rare occasion I do carry, I usually take it. It's nothing special, but I just really like that gun, and the fact that it's simple, reliable, old, and part of the family. And I'm too cheap to buy anything better. If camping or hiking, I'll take my XD Tactical, but it's too bulky otherwise. I should've gone with the service model like M2

I'm in the same boat... have the XD tactical and love it, but too bulky to carry on me (leave it in the glvoebox sometimes.)

Usually carry my Taurus .38 snub in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Just looks like I have a cell phone or something in there and draws pretty well.

I'm very interested in that Taurus 709 though, and keep hearing good things.

Granted, I've never carried a Tactical; but I wouldn't have thought that the extra inch on the barrel would've made that much of a difference! I've conceal-carried M1911s on a few occasions and it was more of an issue of weight over length.

Anyhow, I do have a "problem" with buying rifles lately; I picked up a Norinco paratrooper SKS last night despite having one inbound from Ohio. The one from last night may may have been originally destined for Bangladesh (the serial number is proceeded by the letters 'DB,' believed to be an indication of that). Bangladesh fought for "independence" from India with the support and help of the Peoples' Republic of China and Pakistan (of course). The PRC flooded the area w/Type 56 Carbines which proved invaluable in the national liberation struggle. I have indication if this rifle was ever used or even exported to Bangladesh before it was modified to its current paratrooper configuration (the paratrooper is a carbine-length SKS never used by the PRC). Doesn't matter either way to me, they are known for being sweet shooters!

I think the second one I have inbound is the more "traditional" paratrooper, with serial numbers on the bolt cover and stock (the DB one doesn't have them). I'm still not sure I will keep both, but odds are that I will! :rock:

Cheers! M2

Naw, the Frau and I have an agreement...I get to work but also buy guns when I want, and she gets to spend almost as much money on things she wants. Sure, it isn't the most sound financial situation; but sometimes you get to a point in your life where there are a few things more important than dying rich!

Speaking of which, here is a "family photo" of the mil-surps I have at the moment...

Mil-SurpCollection.jpg

As I said, I have another paratrooper SKS inbound, which will probably top off that portion of my collection. From here on out I am gonna focus on Mosin-Nagants, particularly M44s and M38s if I can find them, or any rare 91/30s that I stumble across. I will throttle back, lately I have been a little angst'd up concerning the comprehensive exam I am taking next week to complete my second masters degree. Once that is done with, I will relax and won't need to buy as many guns as I have been in an attempt to keep myself distracted from the big test.

Cheers! M2

Guest merlock

From here on out I am gonna focus on Mosin-Nagants

M2, have you ever looked into getting a C&R license? Could make your hobby a little less expensive, and the acquisitions a little easier.

M2, have you ever looked into getting a C&R license? Could make your hobby a little less expensive, and the acquisitions a little easier.

Yeah, one of these days I will get off my fat ass and get one; but I work with a guy who is a FFL and who does my transfers for free, so it hasn't made it a pressing issue...

Plus, the majority of my acquisitions are FTF events; I prefer to actually check out a firearm before buying it (although I have made a few purchases simply from pictures). The problem is, once I get one in my grubby little hands, I have a tough time not handing over the cash to keep it...

Cheers! M2

Yeah, one of these days I will get off my fat ass and get one; but I work with a guy who is a FFL and who does my transfers for free, so it hasn't made it a pressing issue...

Plus, the majority of my acquisitions are FTF events; I prefer to actually check out a firearm before buying it (although I have made a few purchases simply from pictures). The problem is, once I get one in my grubby little hands, I have a tough time not handing over the cash to keep it...

Cheers! M2

I have that same problem. I have since calmed down recently. I can only hope that I won't be buying any new guns for a while. I've sent myself to the poor house.

I have that same problem. I have since calmed down recently. I can only hope that I won't be buying any new guns for a while. I've sent myself to the poor house.

Yeah, I gotta ease up as I picked up my other paratrooper last night. My FFL has got a great shop and a range at the edge of his property, so we put a few rounds through it and the other two Norincos I've snagged over the past week (yeah, I've acquired four rifles in the past seven days! :rock:).

He's an AR guy and even has his own business--Dreadnaught Industries. He was showing me a couple of the projects he has going and I was seriously tempted to let him build me something nice; I want a short carbine but am not sure if I want to go through all the hassle. Still, after seeing some of the stuff he's got, it is tempting...

Cheers! M2

Yeah, I gotta ease up as I picked up my other paratrooper last night. My FFL has got a great shop and a range at the edge of his property, so we put a few rounds through it and the other two Norincos

M2 or anybody who might know.

Have you shot or played with any EAA guns?? My most recent copy of American Rifleman had an ad in there from/for them. I like the idea of a 9mm that can be converted to a 22 for plinking around. I built a 50 foot indoor range onto the back of my house and want to limit indoor shooting to 22 cal for noise and safety concerns.

Any thoughts on that type gun (convertible between 9mm and 22 cal)?? And any experience with the EAA line of guns?? I searched the forum for EAA guns with no hits, but seem to remember there might have been previous discussions on conversion kits.

Thanks in advance.