Gun Talk

VL-16

Fogo

Which model? Sounds like a compact because of the extended magazines, but which caliber?

If it is one of the odd ones (.45 GAP or .357), then it is not a good deal and to be honest, you may want to steer clear of the deal.

If it is any of the others (.45 ACP, .40 or 9mm), then it is about average for a used XD.

Most of the stuff you listed (2 magazines, holster, mag holder, mag loader and lock) came with the gun; the only things he added were the two extra magazines (about $25-30 each).

Heck, offer him $350 and see what he says!

By the way, I don't like the compacts as the extended rounds (13 vs 10) tend to pinch during reloading. Also, with the compact magazines, I find the grip too short for my tastes.

But I do have a finger extender that will fit a .45 magazine if you buy the gun and want it. It was free because it was a prototype for me to test (but production version is exactly the same) and I have no use for it.

Cheers! M2

Noticed I forgot to add the caliber right after I posted.

It's actually the standard size 9mm. Maybe I'm using the wrong term with extended mags. Its the 32 round ones.

How was working with Bud's? I am looking at buying my M1A Scout Squad from them if I can't find one cheaper or close to the same price with shipping locally.

Bud's was great. I bought my XD from them with no issues. Gun was used, but exactly as described and no problem shipping to my local FFL.

Bud's = :thumbsup:

Guest JollyFlight21
How was working with Bud's? I am looking at buying my M1A Scout Squad from them if I can't find one cheaper or close to the same price with shipping locally.

I just bought a S&W MP15 from them. Well, back in October, but it was very easy. Good customer service, and great prices.

Does Springfield have an official military discount, similar to the Glock one?

Some Springfield dealers offer military/LE discounts, but I know of no formal program from the factory...

And, while "working" today, I came across this. It's a good read...

Why the M1911 Pistol?

sa_350.jpg

Cheers! M2

Ace

Call me a purist or a dinosaur, but I firmly believe that the 1911 should only come in the caliber in which JMB designed it for...the .45 auto!

But the .38 Super is an interesting round. I've only shot it once or twice (if I recall correctly), but I've read a few things and from what I recall, with the right ammo (Cor-Bon 125-grain JHPs) it can be close to a .357 Magnum in terms of take-down velocity and therefore a good self-defense round. But if I am not mistaken, most .38 Super is no faster than 9mm.

But I still prefer the .45, and the extra money for a .38 Super M1911 isn't worth it to me. My 1911s are not self-defense guns, I have my XD for that!

Which one are you looking at?

Edited by M2
Ammo clarification

Guest soflguy
Does Springfield have an official military discount, similar to the Glock one?

Like M2 said, I don't know if Springfield does from the factory... I would call and ask about that. I do know that the guy at the gun store tried to sell me one for about 430 when I was buying my Glocks. It was also the first time I realized they were Croatian made :bash: . That should have been obvious with wikipedia. Anyways, I would call Springfield and ask them, and then also call your local Springfield LE dealer and ask them about it.

Guest AceTomatoCo
Ace

Call me a purist or a dinosaur, but I firmly believe that the 1911 should only come in the caliber in which JMB designed it for...the .45 auto!

But the .38 Super is an interesting round. I've only shot it once or twice (if I recall correctly), but I've read a few things and from what I recall, with the right ammo (Cor-Bon 125-grain JHPs) it can be close to a .357 Magnum in terms of take-down velocity and therefore a good self-defense round. But if I am not mistaken, most .38 Super is no faster than 9mm.

But I still prefer the .45, and the extra money for a .38 Super M1911 isn't worth it to me. My 1911s are not self-defense guns, I have my XD for that!

Which one are you looking at?

Colt MK IV series 80 38 Super. Not a carry gun just a novelty, I just think the round is kinda neat and wanted a true 1911 believers opinion.

post-4065-1229643510_thumb.jpg

On a side note anyone got advise for how to get the firing pin retaining pin out of a SKS receiver, I have nearly bent a punch trying to push mine out.

Guest zookrider

.38 Super is a cool cartridge with a lot of history. The 1911 wasn't designed for Super, but Super was designed for the 1911. If you handload it right, you can get performance roughly on par with .357 SIG or a weak .357 Magnum, but loading a lot more of those skinny cartridges into the same mag tube than with .45 ACP's. IPSC shooters have mainly kept it alive for the past 30 years for that reason. Also the high gas pressure runs a compensator well, allowing fast shooting with near zero recoil or muzzle flip. Even without the comp, a super is generally lighter recoiling- but they can make some badass muzzle blast fireballs.

It was really popular back in the mobster era on both sides. Their idea was to use it to pierce body armor and car doors. In Mexico it became popular because of the ban on civilian posession of military caliber weapons. Now it's hard to get factory loads, but because of IPSC shooters, there's more loading components out there than you could ever try, probably.

The coolest .38 Super I've ever seen is the one put out by USFA.

USFA SUPER 38

Calling M2...or any other 1911 lover.

Found a Springfield 1911 Loaded Black Stainless (PX9154LP) for $749.99. This will be my first 1911, good buy? I already have an XD45 and Wather P22.....just need a 1911. :thumbsup:

New? If so, and you don't buy it, I will!

That's a Loaded Combat, which is one down from the Loaded Target (PX9152LP) I have...mine has fully adjustable Tritium 3-dot night sights front and back and an ambidextrous safety; but otherwise I don't think there is much difference. I paid $875 + tax before the election, and prices have gone up about $100 or more since then. I just bought a stainless Loaded Combat, basically the same gun with a different finish and grips, for $825 and that was still a decent deal. I saw one for around $785 but it has some nasty scratches on the frame despite being new.

If it's used, that's still and OK deal; but for new I would grab it!

Cheers! M2

p.s. MSRP is $979.00, according to Springfield.

p.s.s. Here's the link for the MSRP.

p.s.s.s. I just checked the MSRP on my black stainless Loaded Target that I paid $875 for in November, and it is now $1,219.00!

Edited by M2
Typo on model number

Ona lighter note......

A friend in Vancouver, WA sent me thispic of a snowmann he and hi swife built in their frontyard. I like it.

*** EDIT ***

Hmmmph... This drunk post isn't as bad as my other one. And I got the attachment to work. AND it's the correct pic.

post-1564-1230441835_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarheadBoom

New? If so, and you don't buy it, I will!

That's a Loaded Combat, which is one down from the Loaded Target (PX9152LP) I have...mine has fully adjustable Tritium 3-dot night sights front and back and an ambidextrous safety; but otherwise I don't think there is much difference. I paid $875 + tax before the election, and prices have gone up about $100 or more since then. I just bought a stainless Loaded Combat, basically the same gun with a different finish and grips, for $825 and that was still a decent deal. I saw one for around $785 but it has some nasty scratches on the frame despite being new.

If it's used, that's still and OK deal; but for new I would grab it!

Cheers! M2

p.s. MSRP is $979.00, according to Springfield.

p.s.s. Here's the link for the MSRP.

p.s.s.s. I just checked the MSRP on my black stainless Loaded Target that I paid $875 for in November, and it is now $1,219.00!

Thanks M2! Yup, it's new. I am going back over tomorrow, if it's still there I'm going to grab it. I read around on some 1911 forums and it seems like a decent deal. Sure hope it's still there.

Edited by SocialD

Guest AceTomatoCo
Well, finally got my M4 frankengun complete...I think it's pretty sweet and it shoots like a dream!

IMG_0807.jpg

bottle of Jack in the back is a nice touch. Are those "cans" on the right?

I put the rifle together myself. It's quite simple...

The upper is a Noveske N4 Basic Carbine Upper. I ordered it right after the election and waited about 7 weeks for it. It is absolutely sweet.

The lower is a Smith and Wesson M&P15 I found at the local gun shop. Then I added a Surefire X300 weapon light to the front sight and the Aimpoint M3 and there she blows. Uppers are particularly hard to come by these days, so if you are looking at building, get those orders in...