Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest zookrider

2 on the corporation or trust for class III's. Benefits are less paperwork (and hassle if your local sheriff isn't C3 friendly) after initial setup and you can name other people in the corp or trust who can then posess the weapons. With a standard Class III, only the registered owner can posess the items- meaning that if, for instance, your wife has a suppressor registered to her, you can't take it to the woods without her. Or the reverse, if you're deployed or PCS overseas, nobody can take care of your stuff without going through the whole class III process and paying the 200 to transfer it to them.

You can try to find an example online and get it through approval...or ask your class three dealer if they've got someone else's that you can try to use with your name in all the blanks...but it's federal firearms stuff, so biting the bullet and hiring a lawyer to draft the trust paperwork seems like a good investment.

Now would seem to be the time to make those SBR's , though. Who knows what they'll be worth in a few years?

2 on the corporation or trust for class III's. Benefits are less paperwork (and hassle if your local sheriff isn't C3 friendly) after initial setup and you can name other people in the corp or trust who can then posess the weapons. With a standard Class III, only the registered owner can posess the items- meaning that if, for instance, your wife has a suppressor registered to her, you can't take it to the woods without her. Or the reverse, if you're deployed or PCS overseas, nobody can take care of your stuff without going through the whole class III process and paying the 200 to transfer it to them.

You can try to find an example online and get it through approval...or ask your class three dealer if they've got someone else's that you can try to use with your name in all the blanks...but it's federal firearms stuff, so biting the bullet and hiring a lawyer to draft the trust paperwork seems like a good investment.

Now would seem to be the time to make those SBR's , though. Who knows what they'll be worth in a few years?

I also suggest the trust route. That along with a corporation seem to allow greater leeway in having multiple users of the NFA items. As already suggested, it is advisable to get a lawyer involved in this process as well - maybe base legal can help create a trust. An alternative is Quicken Willmaker that also has a section on creating trusts. If you do create a corporation to handle this matter, make sure you know what has to occur every year to keep the corporation in existence - I know these laws vary by state and some require an annual fee - forget to pay the fee now you have NFA toys without a viable corporation. With a trust or corporation you get to skip the hassle with getting a sheriff to sign off or have your fingerprints taken. If your local LEO is alright with NFA toys the best bet is to go through them.

Another thing to think about - PCSing... If you are active duty you can count on moving every so often, usually on short notice and with little say in where you go. What happens if you PCS to an NFA unfriendly area - say California? What are you going to do with the NFA items then? I know one example where a person had SBRs and suppressors. The PCS destination permits SBRs but not suppressors - now what do you do with the suppressors? In this case the person put them in a locked gun case and moved them to a third location to be stored by family in a legal location. Technically, the family members don't have access to them since they are locked and they don't have the key.

AR15.com has pretty good discussion on this process plus a detailed thread discussing the timeline of sending and then receiving paperwork back from the ATF.

BF

Unrelated --- but can anyone recommend a good gun shop around san antonio for browsing ... or a range with rentals? I'm TDY here and bored silly.

Hoss

Where are you, Brooks, Randolph or Lackland?

You just missed the big monthly gun show, but there are a few large shops out there. If you are near Brooks, check out Dury's (819 Hot Wells, 210-533-5431). Closer to Lackland, there is Nagel's (6201 San Pedro Ave, 210-342-5420), The Powerhorn (2412 SW Loop 410, 210-674-5220) or Texas Guns (7122 Bandera Rd, 210-509-4752).

But my favorite is Ho Gun's (7914 Culebra Rd, 210-521-2288). Wayne's selection is not as big as those previously mentioned shops, but he's a lot friendlier and get can you better deals.

By the way, do you have a Texas drivers license? I am not sure if you can buy a gun here unless you are a resident or on PCS orders...but you said browsing so if that's all you're doing, then obviously it's not an issue.

And, for ranges, I know the Bullethole does rent. They also have some full-auto rifles that you pay per magazine. But if you are going to be in town for a while, PM me as I need to get to the range in the next week or so and if you want to meet up, maybe we can work something out.

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2

Hoss

Where are you, Brooks, Randolph or Lackland?

You just missed the big monthly gun show, but there are a few large shops out there. If you are near Brooks, check out Dury's (819 Hot Wells, 210-533-5431). Closer to Lackland, there is Nagel's (6201 San Pedro Ave, 210-342-5420), The Powerhorn (2412 SW Loop 410, 210-674-5220) or Texas Guns (7122 Bandera Rd, 210-509-4752).

But my favorite is Ho Gun's (7914 Culebra Rd, 210-521-2288). Wayne's selection is not as big as those previously mentioned shops, but he's a lot friendlier and get can you better deals.

By the way, do you have a Texas drivers license? I am not sure if you can buy a gun here unless you are a resident or on PCS orders...but you said browsing so if that's all you're doing, then obviously it's not an issue.

And, for ranges, I know the Bullethole does rent. They have/had some full-auto rifles that you pay something like $30 per magazine. But if you are going to be in town for a while, PM me as I need to get to the range in the next week or so and if you want to meet up, maybe we can work something out.

Cheers! M2

Thanks! ... I'm at Randolph, but I have wheels, perdiem, and plenty of free-time. I'm not looking to buy, but I do have to find some way to kill all that time.

Hoss

I got your PM, and will get in touch.

Bracken is much closer to you than the Bullethole on the SW side of town, but it is like $7/gun to shoot whereas the Bullethole is only $7 no matter how many guns you shoot. I like that better, plus it is a more relaxed range. It is only a 45 minute drive from Randolph, just go to IH10 and point your nose west. Once you past 1604 on the western side of town, the next right turn is Grosenbacher. Follow it for a couple of miles and you'll see the Bullethole on your left.

In the mean time, here is a good thread on The High Road forum concerning San Antonio gun shops and ranges.

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2

Bracken is much closer to you than the Bullethole on the SW side of town, but it is like $7/gun to shoot whereas the Bullethole is only $7 no matter how many guns you shoot. I like that better, plus it is a more relaxed range.

Agreed. I usually frequent Bracken range since it's quite close to my house, though it's always busy and doesn't allow rapid firing. The few times I've been to the Bullethole I had a whole bay to myself and could do whatever I wanted (double taps, shooting on the move, etc). I just don't feel like driving that far every time I want to shoot.

Please PM if you go. I've been looking for an excuse to hit up the range.

Agreed. I usually frequent Bracken range since it's quite close to my house, though it's always busy and doesn't allow rapid firing. The few times I've been to the Bullethole I had a whole bay to myself and could do whatever I wanted (double taps, shooting on the move, etc). I just don't feel like driving that far every time I want to shoot.

Please PM if you go. I've been looking for an excuse to hit up the range.

Sounds like we're getting a gaggle together! ... I'll spring for ammo if anyone wants to tag along. Especially wives ....

(what do they consider "rapid fire" ?)

Hoss

I mainly shoot .45s (4 x 1911s and an XD-45), and the best place to pick up some ammo is Walmart. Winchester White Box is only $29.97 for 100 rounds, and you can't beat that price even at gun shows! Just bring enough for yourself, I'm good.

Early next week is probably best for me, as my Mom arrives on Wednesday for Christmas. I may be able to come out after that, but the chances are less likely. If you and schokie want to drive over and meet at the Bullethole, that works for me. I can usually be there by 3:30-4:00pm, as I have to drive all the way home and get my gear as I can't bring it on base (it is a 10-minute drive from where I work to the Bullethole, but a half hour away from where I live; so it takes me about an hour to get home then get to the range).

Oh, and "rapid fire" is usually considered more than one round fired every 1-3 seconds. The Bullethole has a 'no rapid fire' rule, but they don't strictly enforce it as long as you aren't being a jackass about it!

Cheers! M2

Piggybacking on the latest use for this thread.

TDY at Hurlburt through late next week and looking for a range that rents a good selection out.

Btw: I'm here at a joint course with varying jobs from all the services. There have been enough :bash: moments to almost start my own thread... but I'll save it up for the end on another thread somewhere.

Piggybacking on the latest use for this thread.

TDY at Hurlburt through late next week and looking for a range that rents a good selection out.

Btw: I'm here at a joint course with varying jobs from all the services. There have been enough :bash: moments to almost start my own thread... but I'll save it up for the end on another thread somewhere.

Jay's Guns up in Baker (N of Crestview): http://www.jaysgunsonline.com/baker.html

Early next week is probably best for me, as my Mom arrives on Wednesday for Christmas. I may be able to come out after that, but the chances are less likely. If you and schokie want to drive over and meet at the Bullethole, that works for me. I can usually be there by 3:30-4:00pm, as I have to drive all the way home and get my gear as I can't bring it on base (it is a 10-minute drive from where I work to the Bullethole, but a half hour away from where I live; so it takes me about an hour to get home then get to the range).

Cheers! M2

Monday? 4pm? Who's in?

Guest zookrider

Jay's also has an indoor range in Panama City. Both ranges have a lot of rentals as well as machine guns.

Oh, and there'll be a gun show in Panama City this weekend.

Monday? 4pm? Who's in?

Looks good for me, I ordered a gun rug for my new 1911 that hopefully will be here tomorrow. Nothing special, just couldn't find the same kind I have for my other ones from Bass Pro; so I ordered one. I want to make sure I can transport them safely.

But 4:00pm at the Bullethole on Monday, 15 December it is! Be there! Aloha!

Cheers! M2

Looks good for me, I ordered a gun rug for my new 1911 that hopefully will be here tomorrow. Nothing special, just couldn't find the same kind I have for my other ones from Bass Pro; so I ordered one. I want to make sure I can transport them safely.

Cheers! M2

I'll bring a few hundred rounds of WWB .45 and we'll see what happens!

Whoa... Slacker; new avatar? It has to be, there's no way I would have missed that before. Well done my friend.

And just to keep it a gun related post... I'd love to shoot; well you guys get it.

Cheers! M2

Hoss/Schokie

Are either of you guys still planning to drive over to shoot this afternoon? The weather's shit today, but I still plan to go out as I've got a couple of buds from work who may also go.

But I also broke a tooth on Friday so if no one is going, I can go get that fixed...

Let me know...

Cheers! M2

This question is for the resident XD expert M2, but I'm sure others have a thought.

I'm thinking of buying an XD from my uncle. I believe he said he's put roughly 500 rounds or so through it. He is including the case with two mags, a lock and a holster, and also throwing in two extended mags and a mag loader.

He is asking $400 which seems more than fair to me. Am I correct? (I am guessing on how many rounds he has shot based on past conversations. Anybody have opinions at what point you start knocking price off based on its "used-ness?") Thanks guys.

Cheers

Fogo

Which model? Sounds like a compact because of the extended magazines, but which caliber?

If it is one of the odd ones (.45 GAP or .357), then it is not a good deal and to be honest, you may want to steer clear of the deal.

If it is any of the others (.45 ACP, .40 or 9mm), then it is about average for a used XD.

Most of the stuff you listed (2 magazines, holster, mag holder, mag loader and lock) came with the gun; the only things he added were the two extra magazines (about $25-30 each).

Heck, offer him $350 and see what he says!

By the way, I don't like the compacts as the extended rounds (13 vs 10) tend to pinch during reloading. Also, with the compact magazines, I find the grip too short for my tastes.

But I do have a finger extender that will fit a .45 magazine if you buy the gun and want it. It was free because it was a prototype for me to test (but production version is exactly the same) and I have no use for it.

Cheers! M2

Guest AceTomatoCo
This question is for the resident XD expert M2, but I'm sure others have a thought.

I'm thinking of buying an XD from my uncle. I believe he said he's put roughly 500 rounds or so through it. He is including the case with two mags, a lock and a holster, and also throwing in two extended mags and a mag loader.

He is asking $400 which seems more than fair to me. Am I correct? (I am guessing on how many rounds he has shot based on past conversations. Anybody have opinions at what point you start knocking price off based on its "used-ness?") Thanks guys.

Cheers

Seems reasonable to me, I just bought two brand new XD's and they ran me $495 (XD 3") and $605 XDm. As long as it is a .4x caliber they usually hold value pretty closely with only a marginal drop for 9mm due to perceived desirablity of .4x calibers.

A gun that has been fired makes it used regardless if it was one round or a thousand, in either case I would not be concerned with the amount of ammo through it so long as it was not all +p or +p+ type stuff.

I'd buy it.

Guest soflguy

Cheers

Look into the mil discount and get a new one ~430 or so...