Gun Talk

VL-16

HeloDude, what do you intend to do with the rifle? If it's just going to be a plinker then a S&W will be just fine. They make a good rifle, but there are better choices and at a similar or better price point. This LINK will give you a basic understanding on what to look for when buying a rifle. At the bottom they also have a comparison chart of many manufacturers. You can ignore it, as it doesn't include all manufacturers or all their rifles and options. Anyway, for less than the S&W you can buy a complete Spike's Tactical midlength. It's a much better offering than what S&W puts out. I'm not saying S&W puts out crap, far from it. They make quality products, but they are lacking in terms of following the milspec guidelines. Spike's has excellent QA/QC, puts out a great product, and they are highly regarded by those who know about the intricacies of AR-15s.

Cheapest option with an AR is to build it yourself. You will end up with better parts for less (or equivalent money).

But it's really easy to go way over budget...since there are so many awesome (and pricey) toys/options for any AR.

Just shop the deals/sales and you can build one cheap (especially if you don't get a gucci rail).

I'd suggest looking at: www.Bravocompanyusa.com

Stoleit, that used to be the case, but within the last year Spike's has come out with their complete rifles which are cheaper than if you were to build something similar with your own parts. Out of 3 ARs I've personally built (uppers were bought from Bravo Company), I wasn't close to what they have to offer.

ETA: I am recommending Spike's because it is the most economical option from a manufacturer that uses high quality parts. Building your own AR can be rewarding and you get exactly what you want, but you have to be judicious and careful with what you buy.

Edited by Timbonez

Got this week's AAFES/BX/Exchange flier and noticed an ad that said there was 10% off all Ruger "fire arms" (yep, two words) limited to stock on hand, no special orders and (this is the important bit), carried in the authorized Exchange locations: Barksdale, Davis-Monthan, Dyess, Eglin, Eielson, Ellsworth, Elmendorf, Hill, Holloman, Little Rock, Minot, Nellis, Offutt, Tinker and Whiteman AFBs.

It also stated that the following Army posts also carried firearms: Ft Belvoir, Ft Campbell, Ft Drum, Ft Hood, Ft Knox, Ft Leavenworth, Ft Polk, Ft Riley, Ft Rucker, Ft Stewart and Ft Wainwright

So, I can confirm that Ft Hood sells guns; but can we get a confirmation for every other location listed above, or add any that may not be included?

Cheers! M2

Got this week's AAFES/BX/Exchange flier and noticed an ad that said there was 10% off all Ruger "fire arms" (yep, two words) limited to stock on hand, no special orders and (this is the important bit), carried in the authorized Exchange locations: Barksdale, Davis-Monthan, Dyess, Eglin, Eielson, Ellsworth, Elmendorf, Hill, Holloman, Little Rock, Minot, Nellis, Offutt, Tinker and Whiteman AFBs.

It also stated that the following Army posts also carried firearms: Ft Belvoir, Ft Campbell, Ft Drum, Ft Hood, Ft Knox, Ft Leavenworth, Ft Polk, Ft Riley, Ft Rucker, Ft Stewart and Ft Wainwright

So, I can confirm that Ft Hood sells guns; but can we get a confirmation for every other location listed above, or add any that may not be included?

Cheers! M2

Dyess has 'em.

Some new accessories.

20101119181202746.th.jpg

New soft case (LA Police Gear Pistol Case) for my 1911.

20101119181217331.th.jpg

And inside, a new Galco Paddle Holster (it's a real ***** to find lefty holster's btw).

20101119181240775.th.jpg

20101119181249138.th.jpg

20101119181257561.th.jpg

20101119181335715.th.jpg

I was lacking a military oriented bag (ironic isn't it?) so got a LA Police 3 Day Backpack.

20101119181347110.th.jpg

And a spiffy new patch I plan on sporting my last week before PCSing...think I can pull it off?

M2,

Well, you weren't exaggerating about the XDs. I finally got around to going out to the farm and shooting a couple of hundred rounds with my "new" XD9 (mini/carry). I've had it for a few months but hadn't shot it yet so was glad to finally get out and enjoy it. My mitts are fairly large so without the extended magazine I didn't care for the feel but with the extra length of the extended magazine that is a great feeling gun. Sweet trigger pull and accurate right out of the box. I planned to use it for my primary carry and it is perfect for that.

So I'm looking for your guys' advice here.

I'm looking to getting into / back into shooting (only shot a few times casually back in the day) and I have a little bit of a problem. I'm cross-dominant (right hand, left eye). With handguns this isn't an issue as I can just hold it in my right and and slightly tilt my head, but rifles and shotguns are another issue. Holding guns in my right hand just feels super natural, and even just imagining I'm holding one feels easy/right, but doing the same with my left feels very unnatural. I also can only wink my right eye (ie, I can't close my left and keep my right eye open).

So, I figured I'd ask you guys. Should I

1) Just learn to shoot left handed and use my dominant eye even though holding a gun left handed feels very weird

2) Learn to close my left eye and shoot right handed (if that's even possible at my age; I'm 20)

3) Other??

Thanks

Edited by donkey

From a local gun auction site...

Rare Pistol

4707641.jpg

I picked this up in an estate sale. took it to a gun smith and he said it was only fired once.

Make an offer i have no use for revolvers.

And yes, it was a joke! But you'd be surprise how many people took it seriously! :bash:

Some of the better comments included...

"That was a friends gun (RIP) He said he was going out to try out his new gun, and never came back. To this day we don't know what happen to him."

"Gun is real! Designed at Texas A&M"

"Guessing a double tap would be tough..."

"Great gift idea for ex wives"

Cheers! M2

Cheers! M2

Whiteman is selling 'em too. BTW, a Ruger LCP after this 10% off all Ruger "fire arms" is $257 out the door. I'll pick mine up on Friday.

-9-

Donkey

Google 'cross-hand rifle shooting' and there are good suggestions on what to try...such as:

Cross Eye Dominance and AR/Rifle Shooting coping methods

The cross-dominant eyes: corrections are easy

Good luck, and let us know what works best for ya!

Cheers! M2

Thanks M2, ill take a look at those and let ya know how things turn out.

:beer:

Whiteman is selling 'em too. BTW, a Ruger LCP after this 10% off all Ruger "fire arms" is $257 out the door. I'll pick mine up on Friday.

-9-

That's a pretty good deal on an LCP, but be careful into thinking the BX prices are always going to be the best. There are places here in ABQ that will sell us Glocks, XD's, M&Ps, etc at the law enforcement price which is typically much better than the BX price.

M2-

Any review of that SAIGA you bought a while back? Forum search showed you acquired one and I happen to have one in my view... what's the word?

The SGL-20? It's fucking awesome! Light, solid, and accurate as well. If you are an AR fan but looking for an AK, this has to be the best build you can get without going to a customer job. I can't believe I got it so cheaply, and the same dealer has been out of these particular ones (mine's a -21, black with the Warsaw-length stock on it. I've also got the -74 style muzzle brake on it, versus the "nut"). All I've been able to find since has been the plum furniture with the NATO stock and muzzle nut (ugh!).

If you are looking for a Russian AK (and you should) and are considering one, grab a SGL-20 if you can find one! The SGL-21 is basically the same thing with an additional accessory lug, so if you find one of those than it's just as good!

Oh, and I put a Bulgarian sling on it; it's the same design as the Russian but in black nylon...

IMG_3584.jpg

On a different note, if I end up SBR'ing my Draco, I may go this route instead of an underfolder as this is a badass-looking rifle...

dsc00218ec9.jpg

Cheers! M2

Stoleit, that used to be the case, but within the last year Spike's has come out with their complete rifles which are cheaper than if you were to build something similar with your own parts. Out of 3 ARs I've personally built (uppers were bought from Bravo Company), I wasn't close to what they have to offer.

ETA: I am recommending Spike's because it is the most economical option from a manufacturer that uses high quality parts. Building your own AR can be rewarding and you get exactly what you want, but you have to be judicious and careful with what you buy.

Spike's is a great recommendation - I built an AR off of a Spike's lower, excellent quality and great people.

However, in general, AR parts and accessories are so inflated right now.

It's hard to say that building your own will be cheaper - it may, but chances are, you'll end up $2000+ in once you get the flips and any glass.

On a side note, I have a Sig 556 that is much smoother (not quite as smooth as the 510) than any DI/gas AR I've shot. It has the classic handguards...Sig was having a rebate for them and the price came out to be under $1000 back in Jan/Feb. Now it's time to find some glass: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4, or Meopta K-dot 1-4?

Edited by CJ-6A

Has anyone seen/shot an American Tactical C45? It's a Turkish import, from a company called Tisis Zigana. From what I can find online, some people are really happy with it, mainly due to the price, even though there were some issues with quality and workmanship. Having a bit of difficulty finding any extra magazines, holsters, parts, etc. though, which is what is currently preventing me from getting one.

The company has some youtube videos of their full-auto 9mm too, complete with 20-round capacity and sweet James Bond music.

TISG4194.jpg

Walther P22

walther_p22_left_1200px.jpg?w=450&h=370

Got this one yesterday after several trips to the dealer and trying to convince myself to buy it.

Finally did because the price seemed ok ($325), it felt very good in my hand for a small gun, and I want to get my wife and, eventually, my daughter comfortable with shooting and a .22LR is a better introduction than a .44 or .45. My wife, also retired USAF, hasn't shot in about 6 years and did the bare USAF minimums back in the day, so she is basically starting from scratch, in my opinion.

Anyway, to the gun:

It's a polymer frame, metal slide, 3.4" barrel, 10 + 1 .22 long rifle.

It looks very cool to me. The slide is triangular shaped when viewed from the muzzle, rounded at the top, sloped sides to a flat bottom. Looks reminescent of the King Tiger panzer of WWII fame. More on this comparison later.

I read a lot of on-line reviews on the P22, most good, a few not. The good included the ergonomically sweet grip - two choices for a backstrap for larger-ish/smaller hands. Reliability and accuracy.

The bad included some comments about the slide since it is a poured-mold full of zinc not all steel, i.e., "pot metal." There have been cases of fractured slides and the like. Clips that wouldn't feed without bending the hell out of the lips. Supposedly these faults have been corrected on later numbered guns. Hope so.

Gun comes with the two different sized backstraps, changeable front sights, adjustable for windage rear sights, one clip, key for an internal lock, a trigger lock, a wrench for changing out barrels (a 5" barrel and weight compensator for more serious target work is available)and a small dowel for which I did not know the purpose. My box did not contain a cleaning brush or rod, but I've got those so no worries.

I put 200 rounds through it this morning with one FTF. I believe that was the manufacture of the bullet and not the gun. I tried twice to use the clip to feed that particular round, as well as one manual attempt to feed and it would not physically fit into the chamber.

Other on-line comments were that lower-powered (pun intended) .22LR didn't always feed and that more zippy bullets didn't cause that problem. I used Remingtion and Winchester 40gr. and had no problems.

Out to 25 yards, the guns shot very accurately. All 9 or 10 ring. Tighter groups will come from a better marksman than me, I'm sure.

The magazines have a handly little slide button to aid in loading, push down a little on the button, drop the round in, lather, rinse, repeat until 10 are in.

The slide release is also different. Instead of a button on the grip or frame, the back 1/3 of the lower trigger guard pushes down to drop the magazine. Not difficult to manipulate while on-target, but different from other guns. I'm neutral on this feature.

I really enjoyed shooting this little gun. It's supposedly about 3/4 of the size of it's original big brother, the Walther P99, available in 9mm or .40. Prices look pretty steep on these however as they are manufactured by Walther in Germany. Smith & Wesson teamed up with Walther to both market in the U.S. those as well as a collaboration on a building a SW99 - again, 9mm, .40, and a .45 ACP. A further generation is the M&P, same calibers. The P99 carries the Walther logo, the SW99 and M&P are Smith & Wesson branded.

Field stripping and cleaning were a little different. Like the King Tiger, this gun is well made but over-engineered to me and took a specific tool to do the job. Take the slide off, remove the guide rod and spring, and the barrel stays attached to the frame. Difficult to clean the frame under the barrel and getting the spring and rod back in was baffling. Looking up an on-line video showed what the dowel was for. Put it into the spring, feed the dowel through the opening in the front of the slide while pushing the slide onto the barrel, then push the slide all the way back onto the rails until it catches. The dowel is pushed out and falls during this process. Ok, I guess, as long as you don't drop the dowel and lose it.

Simple enough once you get the hang of it, but having the barrel come off and the spring catch on the lip of the chamber like nearly every other semi-auto pistol would make more sense.

I am now on the look out for the full-size P99, maybe a SW99. I liked this feel of this gun's grip better than any I've ever shot. Although this P22 was little small for me, I'm anticipating a full up gun will be even better. Maybe than enough to make me bring a new caliber (the 9mm) into the arsenal, something I try to avoid in the interests of ammo logistics, but this one might make me eventually.

I like the gun a lot. I think it will serve the purpose in re-introducing my wife to shooting (as much as possible. She could care less, but I want her familiar enough to use one should the zombies come through the door) as well as not scaring my daughter once she's ready to shoot.

Taking it apart, not so much.