Gun Talk

VL-16

Any good recommendations for a 1911? I've already got a Glock 21 so plenty of .45ACP. Now I need a 1911 to share it with.

I am partial to Springfields, I have a parkerized GI...

PW9609L.jpg

Which pretty much is their entry-level 1911, but I am looking to find a Loaded Target in black stainless...

PX9152L.jpg

A good source of info is the XD Talk M1911 forum. There are many quality 1911s out there, a bud of mine just picked up a 4" Rock Island which, for being made in the Philippines, is quite nice.

But a word of caution, 1911s are very addicting! :rock:

Cheers! M2

Any good recommendations for a 1911? I've already got a Glock 21 so plenty of .45ACP. Now I need a 1911 to share it with.

The Springfield is a great weapon like M2 said, I would also recommend a Kimber 1911. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/

I am not as good at posting pictures or links so bear with my lack of computer skills. I don't yet own a Kimber, but plan on that being my gift to myself once I get through UPT. I have shot many, though, and they are pretty amazing!

SavingPrivateRyan.jpg

And the good thing is that you can now buy a 1911 and justify it as you will already have .45 ACP ammo!

On the other hand, I would think the more important question to contemplate is why anyone would want/need anything other than a 1911.

WWJMBD?

Remember, a 1911 is a type of pistol, so price and quality vary widely between manufacturer and model.

If you are looking for an entry level 1911 with a basic GI configuration, I recommend the Rock Island Armory fullsize and the Springfield GI (both around $400-$500, and about $100 cheaper used).

Many people find the GI sights too small to use, so the next step up is the Springfield Mil-Spec, for about $650.

Once you get North of those base models, then the field is wide open.

A lot of people like Kimber, but IMHO they are more show than go. The original Series 1 Kimbers are actually very high quality pistols if you can find them on the used market. What they are selling new today isn't even close to being worth the price they are charging.

My personal preference if you wanted something higher quality than the Springfield (or wanted to Buy American) is to get a Colt.

I feel like a traitor, I've been wanting a 1911 for a while but I'm starting to lean towards getting a P220 instead... We'll see, my goal is to buy it as a track select present for myself

sig_220_combat.jpg

Edited by Gary

I went to the range with a couple of buds yesterday and got a chance to shoot a HK USP45 and a Glock 21 (I’ve shoot the Glock before but it’s been a while). I liked the HK but for the price I would rather have a nice 1911. The Glock was also nice but compared to my XD45 the grip was much larger. The cant differences in the grip wasn’t as noticeable as I thought (the XD is more 1911-like); buy the diameter difference was very noticeable!

My buds shot both my XD and SA GI 1911 and were very impressed. I tout the XD every chance I get as I think it is the best handgun to carry. I love 1911s but the single-stack limits the capacity (but greatly improves the grip, nice and narrow and easy to control) and I prefer polymer weapons for carrying. But as shooters they are excellent guns, and I hope to own several during my lifetime.

But you can’t beat the ergonomics, capacity and performance of the XD45! Springfield (well, the Croatians actually) got this one right!

Cheers! M2

But you can’t beat the ergonomics, capacity and performance of the XD45! Springfield (well, the Croatians actually) got this one right!

I agree that, if you're into Tupperware, that's a sweet pistol.

Anyone have a Kahr PM-9? I've been interested in one of those for several years as a carry pistol. I have had the opportunity to shoot a P-9 once, and it was very awkward for me since I am used to the single-action trigger of the 1911. I think if I practice with it, though, I can get used to the DAO trigger pull.

By the way, if anyone comes across one of these at a decent price, let me know...

PX9152L.jpg

It's a Springfield Armory Loaded Target in black stainless (model PX9152L), and I can't find one for under a grand at local shops...

There is a gun show this coming weekend in San Antonio, but I went to one two weeks ago and didn't find one. Maybe my luck will be better during this show...

Cheers! M2

Guest regularjoe
By the way, if anyone comes across one of these at a decent price, let me know...

PX9152L.jpg

It's a Springfield Armory Loaded Target in black stainless (model PX9152L), and I can't find one for under a grand at local shops...

There is a gun show this coming weekend in San Antonio, but I went to one two weeks ago and didn't find one. Maybe my luck will be better during this show...

Cheers! M2

What do you consider a "decent" price, there were two of them in my local gunshop today as I perused the shelves.

$850 used and $925 new.

What do you consider a "decent" price, there were two of them in my local gunshop today as I perused the shelves.

$850 used and $925 new.

That beats the local shops that wanted over a grand for a new one that already has a few small fine scratches in it; but are you sure they are the Target version with the adjustable sights? There is a Combat model (PX9154LP) that has fixed sights that is a little cheaper...

And what kind of shape is the used one in? Any idea of how many rounds have been through it? Any wear marks on it?

These usually are not carry guns, mostly range or display guns, so there shouldn't be any holster marks on them...

Cheers! M2

Guest regularjoe
That beats the local shops that wanted over a grand for a new one that already has a few small fine scratches in it; but are you sure they are the Target version with the adjustable sights? There is a Combat model (PX9154LP) that has fixed sights that is a little cheaper...

And what kind of shape is the used one in? Any idea of how many rounds have been through it? Any wear marks on it?

These usually are not carry guns, mostly range or display guns, so there shouldn't be any holster marks on them...

Cheers! M2

I can go back and look again to make sure ( :thumbsup: ahhh finally an excuse to go to the gunshop) but I remember them catching my eye because of the way the mag looked on the bottom, other than that they completely resemble your attached photo.

The used one looked just like the new one imho, there was some rub marks on the ramp and the barrel had the usual rub marks from the slide but other than that looked clean. I would have to ask but usually my gunstore guy while very knowledgable on guns does not know a whole lot of history on the trade-ins. Given the shooting I have done I would say probably less then 300 rounds if that, there wasn't that much wear to them and the spring (while could have been replaced) was still very stiff, hammer had no visible wear to it and the ejection port was fairly unmarked.

I will go back and take a picture and post when able.

I know it's super-entry-level, but what are thoughts on the Taurus 1911? I'm thinking I'd like to get my first 1911, and I like the ergonomics for my hand - can't always say that about all other 1911s, they usually feel gigantic (I'm an M9 lover, the Beretta fits like it was molded for my hand). The price point is good too. Only thing I don't like is that the lower doesn't have a rail option...I'd really like to attach a light and make it a bedside home defence weapon.

I know it's super-entry-level, but what are thoughts on the Taurus 1911? I'm thinking I'd like to get my first 1911, and I like the ergonomics for my hand - can't always say that about all other 1911s, they usually feel gigantic (I'm an M9 lover, the Beretta fits like it was molded for my hand). The price point is good too. Only thing I don't like is that the lower doesn't have a rail option...I'd really like to attach a light and make it a bedside home defence weapon.

I haven't shot one, but the PT1911 seems popular. Try M1911.org or XD Talk M1911 Forum for some good info.

I am surprised that you find a 1911 "gigantic" but the M9 comfortable, for most it is the opposite. For a 9mm, the Beretta is huge. I love the ergos of the 1911, but still prefer the XD due to its lighter weight and increased capacity. I could never stand the M9...

Cheers! M2

Guest regularjoe

Cheers! M2

M2,

Sorry but it would appear that the one that was used has sold the owner confirmed it was indeed what you were looking for.

The one that was new is actually a Kimber.

RJ

• 2 weeks later...
M2,

Sorry but it would appear that the one that was used has sold the owner confirmed it was indeed what you were looking for.

The one that was new is actually a Kimber.

RJ

RJ

Sorry, just saw your post. Thanks for checking for me, I am not surprised that it went quickly, as that is a good price on a hard-to-find handgun!

Cheers! M2

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting comment on that YouTube video...

As far as I know, that statement is correct. Just be careful with toys/gadgets such as these...

Cheers! M2

Not only is the stock a no-no, putting a fore grip on a pistol is equally illegal

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.
Edited by Gary

I believe the intent of the device was for law enforcement only...

Plus, why go for something like that when I've got AK-47s and tactical shotguns in the house?

Cheers! M2

Guest regularjoe
I believe the intent of the device was for law enforcement only...

To me that makes even less sense, every time I see the PD with a chance they wanna tote around their AR-15's and look badass.

I'm not saying cops are tools but the ones where I live seem to fashion themselves as 21st century John Wayne's.

Most local LE will have either an 870 or something semi that runs .223

Federal guys will have either AR, MP5's and I've even seen FN's and big boy H&K's

I am participating in my first IDPA match this Sunday; I will let you guys know if I do well, or lie like hell about it if I don't! :sniper:

Cheers! M2

I have mixed opinions on the IDPA/USPSA/IPSC type shooting.

On one hand its great to change things up instead of standing still punching paper...

I disagree with the minor vs. major power factors in USPSA. 9mm shooters are basically put at a deficit against folks shooting .40 and .45.

Also, USPSA is a little too PC.........listen to how they speak hostages are "No shoot targets"

I have mixed opinions on the IDPA/USPSA/IPSC type shooting.

On one hand its great to change things up instead of standing still punching paper...

I disagree with the minor vs. major power factors in USPSA. 9mm shooters are basically put at a deficit against folks shooting .40 and .45.

Also, USPSA is a little too PC.........listen to how they speak hostages are "No shoot targets"

You struck it right on the nail, I am bored with standing at the table and punching holes in none-moving targets. I miss the challenge of more active type of training I used to get when I was in, and hope to rekindle some of that through IDPA matches. But as I said, this is my first one so we'll see how it goes.

I have a Jeep bud who is also USAF retired who has competed in the past, he's going out to show me the ropes. He's got some competition guns; but I am going out with my usual carry weapon, my XD45.

Cheers! M2

but I am going out with my usual carry weapon, my XD45.

Cheers! M2

Good pick, the first generation had some issues with the finish and rust but I had a LRS/CC who was a shooting buddy. He let me do some target work with his tactical model, very accurate and smooth trigger. What else could you want?

As for me, I still shoot my FN Hi-Power in .40 but I am thinking of a S&W M&P. But I just spent nearly $800 on a car payment and taking my shop out to lunch.

I might update this thread later, i am working on getting a short barreled AR-15 with a sound surpressor. If all goes smoothly, I will do a write up on how to do it.