Gun Talk

VL-16

Can't remember if this has been posted; but give the dude credit, he maintains proper control of his weapon despite taking a hot round (from the guy on his left) down the back of his shirt!

34erj48.gif

:rock:

Cheers! M2

Video proof that not everyone should own a gun...

idiots_02.gif

G9bUW.gif

VPVyN.gif

erYCK.gif

One more...

animated-gifs-9-04.gif

Ah, yes...once was hiking an old beat up 12 Ga riot gun up to my shoulder when it went off.....The old finger on the trigger ploy combined with a worn out action. (I didn't own it) Knocked my glasses sideways and gave me a nice boo boo. Fortunately it was pointed in a safe direction. Never trusted one again and re-trained the trigger finger. And I agree...nice discipline with the rifle.

Also favor revolvers like that Bulldog....just a little extra decision time.

"any shootin iron used for real is likely to end up in perpetual evidence..so use something cheap"

Can't remember if this has been posted; but give the dude credit, he maintains proper control of his weapon despite taking a hot round (from the guy on his left) down the back of his shirt!

34erj48.gif

:rock:

Cheers! M2

Video proof that not everyone should own a gun...

idiots_02.gif

G9bUW.gif

VPVyN.gif

erYCK.gif

One more...

animated-gifs-9-04.gif

M2, cut the guy in the third video some slack. He's shooting a 4 bore, it's almost a 1.0 caliber and about a quarter pound of lead he's shooting.

Brick, you'll be hard pressed to find .44 special ammo. It's not a very common/popular caliber these days. Try looking online.

EDIT: Reloading is also an option.

Edited by Timbonez

Jeezuz Kerist, what happened to all the ammunition in this coutnry? I can't find a box of .44 special to save my life.

Can't speak for .44 special, but Wally World here in Vegas just lifted their daily ammo limit a couple of days ago. Walked out of there with 18 boxes of 9mm for $10/box. Granted, it's kind of a sad thing when one is happy to pay "only" $10/box for 9mm.

Brick

Post up a range report after you've had a chance to shoot it...

Cheers! M2

As requested:

Finally found some .44 special - 240grain Winchester cowboy action loads and CORBON 165grain JHP rounds.

Also found a nice range this morning, albeit with some mallcop type employees, but I digress.

Revolver: Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 special

weight: 22 oz

barrel: 2.5 inches

length: muzzle to aft-most part of grip, 7.3/4 inches

width: 1.5 inches

The last revolver I owned was a very nice Colt Anaconda .44 magnum. Cool gun, but really just a handcannon and impractical. I regret selling it however.

I found this Bulldog in a small gun shop, bought it on impulse for $425. My thought process was I wanted to have a revolver for my first floor gun instead of the Bersa .45ACP I'd been using. Also would use the .44 as my car carry gun instead of the Bersa. Nothing wrong with the Bersa, I really, really like it, but the minor concern of having a clip fail on my after leaving one compressed due to a full load and/or having to remember to rotate clips made me re-think my revolver choice.

As was noted above, any situation likely requiring the use of a self-protection gun is likely to wind up with that gun being gone for a long time if not permanently. While neither the Bersa or this Bulldog Pug are a concern in that matter, toting my family heirloom 1911 is (deceased father was USAF rifle/pistol team back in the day. It's a nice gun, trust me).

I'm a fairly big guy so I like larger pistols - just a better feeling of control than trying to delicately handle a .380 or the like.

Even thoough this Bulldog Pug is a "small" revolver, it's still actually pretty fair-sized if considering using it carrying concealed on your person. I'm sure there are those who can justify/like a type of holster/carry system for it, it is just too bulky width-wise as compared to a similiar .45 or 9mm auto. It also appears to be more liable to catching on clothing with the hammer, wider cylinder, etc. For an under the seat gun or in the nightstand, I'm liking it.

So on to shooting it:

The standard grooved rubber grip was long enough, but after a box of 50 rounds, I found myself wishing for a wider girth (sts). Pachmyer makes some, I believe.

This is a manly gun to fire. It's a big round being projected from not that big a frame. Certainly shootable, it is not something I'd want to fire all day.

The sights are a fixed front sight with the rear also being fixed and cast as part of the rear frame. It's never going to be an Olympic class gun, but for its purpose, it'll do fine.

At 7 1/2 yards, I was putting all five rounds into a 3" group, consistently in the 9 ring at about 7 o'clock. Adjusting the hold point moved them into the 10 ring.

At 15 yards, the dispersal was more, but all center mass within the 8 ring. Most likely, this was operator error, but with only 2 1/2 inches of barrel, there is that to consider. 25 yards was a waste of time for me, but then it really wasn't designed for that range either.

After shooting the .44, I put 50 rounds of .45 ACP through the Bersa and it was a much smoother ride. It's a lot less "bang" than the .44 and quicker to reacquire the sight picture. Less tiring as well.

PROS:

-Good value for money

-Reliability

CONS:

-Reloading. Although I believe if I'm ever in a situation requiring more than a total of 2-3 rounds being fired by everybody involved, I'm probably going to have a bad day, reloading an auto pistol is so much faster than a revolver, even with a speed loader. For me, anyway. I'm not slamming those who swear by a six gun, just my preference. I'll have an extra set of bullets ready at hand with the weapon, but it's going to take time.

-Wider, more 'catchy' on clothing, getting out of a jacket pocket, than an auto. Again for me. It's also really pretty big for a 'back-up' gun for those who carry two.

I like it, will use it for home/self-defense, and practice with it more. But won't be heartbroken if it's ever confiscated after use because the hole and energy imparted to the other guy will be worth losing it to "the man."

It's a solid gun.

Reading some other professional reviews, it seems that old Charter Arms guns were pretty good as are the new ones like mine. There was a period when it seems they weren't that good.

Edited by brickhistory

Brick

Great report, thanks! Based on my wheel gun experiences, I would say all your comments are on target (weak pun intended)...

Cheers! M2

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a nice SKS-M (the kind that takes AK mags) today for $375, which isn't bad considering they are going for $475-500 on GunBroker.com! :mosh:

Here are some quick pics from the ad, I just got home from a long day of driving and am trying to relax...

SKS-M2.jpg

SKS-M1.jpg

For those not familiar with the SKS-M, it is the same size as a paratrooper but does not have a bayonet (the SKS-D does). And yeah, that's a 5-round AK magazine; but it will take a 30-rounder easily.

Most SKS-Ms have thumbhole stocks like this, which I am not a big fan of...

0-6-27-06-023.jpg

...but this one has the Monte Carlo-style stock which makes it look more like the "normal" SKS.

It was my first firearm purchase in almost two months! :banghead:

Cheers! M2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I wish I had that much restraint. I tell myself to I need to cut back, but I don't listen very well.

It didn't last long, I snagged a Czech-built 91/38 Mosin carbine at the SA show a week later... :rock:

M2, applicable to the state of Texas, do you know anything about shipping a firearm to a licensed company for work? I have a Browning Hi Power that I want to send to Novak's for some upgrades. It was recommended by them to go through FedEx, so yesterday I went down to FedEx to ask about their policies on shipping a handgun. This was sort of a test as I had already looked up FedEx policies concerning the matter. The woman that was at a counter said I had to go through a FFL, which isn't correct unless Texas has a state law on the matter. I tried looking for something like that but was unable to find anything. Do you know anything about that? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go down to that FedEx again and slap the woman in the face with a printout of their own policies, and if they really don't want my business I'll take it elsewhere. Thanks.

T-bonez

Most of my encounters with FedEx haven't been positive; but I am sure you can ship a firearm to a licensed company without going through a FFL. A few years back, I sent a Yugo M70AB2 back to Century to get the front sight uncanted and had to go to a specific FedEx location to do so. The kid behind the counter was a bit surprised when I told him I needed to ship an AK; but he didn't have any problems with it.

I am almost absolutely certain Texas has no laws against it, as it is a very gun-friendly state; but I work with a guy who is an 01 FFL and also manufacturers ARs so I will confirm that with him on Monday. I am pretty sure you are just dealing with the the usual idiots at Fedex...you've already found this, but for anyone else who may run into this same problem here is FedEx's policy (scroll down to 'Firearms'):

A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.

C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

If I recall correctly, pistols have to go via air transport and rifles ground, but they'll know that.

I'd try another FedEx location... :bash:

Good luck! M2

p.s. Tim, just need to confirm there are no state or local laws where you are that would require going through an FFL, are there?

T-bonez

I emailed a buddy and he concurred that he knew of no laws in Texas that would prohibit your shipping a pistol here for work. Since Novak's is an FFL, it's legal to do so from out of state.

However, he did add a good point, that being that maybe an FFL would be cheaper depending on what they charge. He felt it might be less expensive because an FFL can ship via USPS for around $20. Thus, if they charge $20 for their services, that would only be a total of $40. He thought the FedEx air shipment would probably be more than that...

Just food for thought. I will see what my 01 FFL bud says and let you know on Monday.

Cheers! M2

M2, I thought there weren't any state laws regard shipping firearms, this being Texas and all. I'm in Abilene. I looked at a lot of shit on Texas' websites and whatnot. Anyway, I'm going to try a different FedEx location on Monday, and if that fails I'll just talk to the gun store I usually use here for transfers. I know FedEx requires that handguns be priority overnight w/insurance, and I calculated it to be almost $60. Thanks for the second pair of eyes.

ETA: I'm shipping from Texas to another state.

Edited by Timbonez

I forgot to mention that one of my Nighthawk 1911s arrived earlier this week. Here are some crappy photos. I'll try to get some daylight ones tomorrow. ETA: I took the old ones down and put up ones without a flash.

Ball cuts on the slide forward of the dust cover and front slide serrations.

The barrel is crowned and flush fit with the bushing...

The top of the slide is serrated...

The rear of the slide is also serrated... That's a hair on the right side of the frame just below the slide.

The Enforcer model has a plunger tube (they are normally a separate part that is staked on) and extended magwell that are physically a part of the frame. The mainspring housing also has an integrated lanyard loop.

Edited by Timbonez

@Timbonez - I've been thinking about getting a balls-out BHP from Novak's. What are you having done? Did you buy your HP new? How do you like it?

Beaver, I bought a brand new BHP Mk III earlier this year. The few times I've brought it to the range it has been 100% reliable. It has the smoothest/tightest action of any of my production semi-autos. I like the pistol very much, and out of the box it is an outstanding combat handgun. If you do buy a Mk III and don't end up modifying it, you'll have one fine pistol.

The newer Mk III pistols have cast frames as opposed to the forged frames of older models. Ironically, the cast frames are stronger than the older pistols. Mk II's and on will feed JHP ammo reliably without modification to the barrel or feed ramp. Older models have a hump on the ramp which feeds FMJ very well but JHP is hit or miss. Companies, like Novak's, that do work on BHPs can remove it easily if you have an older model with their original barrel.

I want to get the home defense package (but with black sights instead of the night sights), bead blast and blue, single side safety, new sear, and commander hammer. Novak's Packages and Individual Modifications.

If you don't already have a BHP you can have Novak's get one for you and do the modifications before you even get it. Had I known about that before, and if the price was right, I probably would have bought straight through them.

Stephen A. Camp is somewhat of an authority on BHPs and his website has a lot of useful information concerning the Hi Power. He's used one as a police officer, hunting, compares different ammo, compares it to similar handguns, and provides an overall better understanding of the pistol to the average person like me. Hi Powers and Handguns

What kind of "upgrades" did you have in mind for when you get one?

I asked a bit ago about red dot scopes, ended up going with the CompM4s. Found it online at www.botachtactical.com for $587 shipped since they're having a 15% off sale right now. Pretty good deal considering MSRP is $760!