Gun Talk

VL-16

Mostly AK47's The entire country is an arsenal. Works better in the

desert than the M16 and the .308 Russian round kills reliably.

I don't know about the author...he doesn't come off as that knowledgeable to me and seems to rehash a lot of the urban legends I've heard before. Oh, and the AK doesn't fire the "russian .308" round...I assume he means the 7.62X54 as the russian equilivant to the NATO 7.62X51 (308). He could be dumbing it down, but anyone who's dealt with an AK knows the 7.62X39 is a VERY different round.

Edited by zrooster99

On a separate note, today I went to go buy some ammo to go target shooting in the local desert area with. Simple stuff (.38 special) for a Smith & Wesson model 15. Wal Mart, as well as both a gun store and a Sportsman's store were damn near slim pickings on any pistol ammo, and a good amount of rifle ammo. The assistants working the counter at the Sportsman's and the gun shop both stated that ammo stocks have been bought up quick post Obama being elected, as well as (at the gun shop) many of the AR-15s and variant he had in stock. Even said that the online ammo distributors have been running low as well.

That was a surprising event for me. Anyone have similar stories from their neck of the woods?

Yeah, pistol ammo has been mighty scarce around San Antonio as well. Went shooting with Hoss and Schokie last night and he said he couldn't find any .45 ACP anywhere. I've noticed the shelves have been pretty cleared out at WalMart, where I usually pick up three boxes of the the WWB 100 rounds whenever I get a chance. I've got about 1700 rounds stored atop of my gun safe. I still need more, much more...

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2

Yeah, pistol ammo has been mighty scarce around San Antonio as well. Went shooting with Hoss and Schokie last night and he said he couldn't find any .45 ACP anywhere. I've noticed the shelves have been pretty cleared out at WalMart, where I usually pick up three boxes of the the WWB 100 rounds whenever I get a chance. I've got about 1700 rounds stored atop of my gun safe. I still need more, much more...

Cheers! M2

Wow...that's interesting. Talking to the guys behind the counters at the stores, rumor is that any upcoming gun control measures or attacks against the 2nd Amendment will begin with pistols, hence the run on ammo purchases for those. Only remaining on the shelves were some .44 JHP, and some Cor bon of the same caliber. Most of the 9mm, .357 (SIG and magnum) .40 and .45 were long gone off the shelves; and they didn't know when they'd be getting replacement stock in.

Edited by MD

Yeah, my oldest son and I were up at Cabela's in Buda on Saturday and you couldn't even get near the gun counter! Literally, there were lines three deep of people looking at pistols (the hunting rifle side was almost as bad!). We finally made our way up to the counter, and they did have some decent sale prices still (an XD45 Service for $515); but not enough to warrant the mob.

We were at a gun show earlier in the day and it wasn’t as bad; but it was a small show and not that impressive. Still, I bought a .45ACP round key chain and the old gentleman selling them asked me what the date was on the bottom of the bullet. I told him there was no date, just the Federal marking; so he dug out a bag and rummaged through it for a minute and dug out another on that was a WWII-vintage Western Cartridge Company round! He asked me if I preferred that one and I was more than happy to swap for it! I know it is nothing rare or overly special, but given the choice I would rather carry a WWII .45ACP round on my key chain than a modern one.

I am on the hunt for another 300 rounds of .45ACP this weekend, I will let you guys know if I am able to track some down!

Cheers! M2

I picked up my Kimber Custom Stainless II last weekend after having much internal and verbal debate between that and a bi-tone Sig P220. I traded in my POS RIA for the Kimber and am not looking back. Now I just need to add night sights and a ambi-safety.

The Cabelas sale M2 mentioned runs through this Sunday. If you want an XD45 and don't want to go through the web, $515 isn't a bad price. That is what I paid out the door almost 2 years ago at Cabelas. They have a bunch of stuff on sale right now, XDs, M&Ps, M9s etc.

Wow...that's interesting. Talking to the guys behind the counters at the stores, rumor is that any upcoming gun control measures or attacks against the 2nd Amendment will begin with pistols, hence the run on ammo purchases for those. Only remaining on the shelves were some .44 JHP, and some Cor bon of the same caliber. Most of the 9mm, .357 (SIG and magnum) .40 and .45 were long gone off the shelves; and they didn't know when they'd be getting replacement stock in.

Well, had to run to WalMart for something, and found seven 100 round boxes of Winchester White Box on the shelf. Now there are two...

Oddly enough, it was about the only thing they had in stock. All the other calibers were either empty, or only had a box or two at most on the shelf.

That makes my cache up to two thousand rounds stashed and a couple of hundred rounds to shoot. That's .45 ACP; but I've got about the same amount of 7.62x39 hidden away, just in case.

Cheers! M2

Not sure if this is the best place for this video, but surely a taser counts as a gun. I just thought it was too funny to pass up.

Tased on a lawnmower, drinking whiskey.... interesting combination :beer:

Edited by guinthjb

That makes my cache up to two thousand rounds stashed and a couple of hundred rounds to shoot. That's .45 ACP; but I've got about the same amount of 7.62x39 hidden away, just in case.

Well I know where I'm going for Red Dawn part 2.

Guest NotAPilot

I don't even waste time with Wally Worlds in town. I drive to a small po-dunk town about 45 minutes out. That Wally World always has plenty of ammo in stock. If not what I want that day they have something else I can use and I usually stock up.

Shotgun shells are still easily found online in bulk. Pick up a case of OO Buck for storage. Cheap insurance.

Guest AceTomatoCo

Cheers! M2

Thats it???? 2000 rounds :nob: When the zombies or the government comes, head about 4 hours north and I will help replentish your stash. :M16::thumbsup:

Got tasked to go to WalMart again and the last two boxes of .45 ACP looked lonely so I grabbed 'em! The lady said it was a smart move, as they got a letter basically saying not to ask about ammo as it will show up when it shows up. No more ordering or even asking when they might be getting any; as it is going to be sporadic at best. However, she added that this particular WalMart has a pretty good track record of getting ammo in and to keep checking back. I've got nearly 2500 rounds, and I am going to cut back on the amount of shooting I do when it's just standing and putting holes in paper. I'm going to save it for IDPA or other events where it is a better training experience.

Cheers! M2

This thread is nearly 700 posts, so if any of this is a repeat, I’ll be screwed blue and tattooed.

If you live in or travel to the Pacific Northwest, Bi-Mart (one hellofa name, eh?) has specials on ammo that can't be beat (sts). Also, Cabelas in Post Falls, ID (not usually known for deals) has had American Eagle 5.56 NATO for $400/1000 round case; that price may be offered at other locations.

On an ancillary note, you may find this Comparison of Pocket Semi-Automatic Handguns useful, amusing or bemusing.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've basically have talked the wife into getting a pistol and have settled on the Springfield XD .45ACP; Cabella's and Bass Pro Shop near here both have the gun for $575. Had the wife handle it (sts) and she felt comfortable with the weight and liked the safety features (grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, etc).

My question is should I try to save a hundred bucks by buying used off of gunbroker.com or go with new?

OK guys, I got to handle one of these at the gun show this weekend and now I am absolutely sure I want to add one to the collection!

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

It is a Webley Revolver (also known as the Webley Break-Top Revolver or Webley Self-Extracting Revolver) and was, in various marks, the standard issue service pistol for the armed forces of the United Kingdom, the British Empire, and the Commonwealth from 1887 until 1963. You may also recognize it as the gun Indiana Jones carried in The Last Crusade.

The Webley is a top-break revolver with automatic extraction; breaking the revolver open for reloading also operates the extractor, removing the spent cartridges from the cylinder. The Webley Mk I service revolver was adopted in 1887, but it was a later version, the Mk IV, which rose to prominence during the Boer War of 1899–1902. The Mk VI, introduced in 1915 during World War I, is perhaps the best-known model.

Webley service revolvers are among the most powerful top-break revolvers ever produced, firing the .455 Webley cartridge. Although the .455 calibre Webley is no longer in military service, the .38/200 Webley Mk IV variant is still in use as a police sidearm in a number of countries

The one I saw was a Mk III, the above pic is a Mk VI; I am looking for a Mk IV or higher as they were made with higher quality steel and case hardened parts compared to the earlier models.

If anyone happens upon on of these in good shape that is a Mk IV or higher I would appreciate it. I would prefer a .455, many that were brought into the US were converted to .45 ACP by using moon clips and shaving the cylinder down 1/16th of an inch (shown in the pic below), but right now the non-converted model are more desirable.

DSC_1033.jpg

To tell if a cylinder has been shaved or not, you can open up the gun and see if see the trade stamps (little crowns and other British fluff) are still on the cylinder head. If they are present, then the gun is unmodified.

Cheers! M2

So I've basically have talked the wife into getting a pistol and have settled on the Springfield XD .45ACP; Cabella's and Bass Pro Shop near here both have the gun for $575. Had the wife handle it (sts) and she felt comfortable with the weight and liked the safety features (grip safety, loaded chamber indicator, etc).

My question is should I try to save a hundred bucks by buying used off of gunbroker.com or go with new?

I have had mixed results on Gunbroker. I would consider saving $100 if I could find a barely used one at a local, trusted store. I have bought many guns that way.

I just finished reading the FBI's handgun wounding paper. ( yes I know I should have read it a long time ago )

What I found interesting was that I drew a different conclusion about caliber selection than M2. He rightly found that a .45 is better than a 9mm or .40 in a single shot scenario. I got out of that report that all handgun rounds are so pathetic that the real answer is multiple hits. What I decided was that with my 9mm, I get more shots faster and more accurately.

OK guys, I got to handle one of these at the gun show this weekend and now I am absolutely sure I want to add one to the collection!

DSC_1031.jpg

DSC_1032.jpg

It is a Webley Revolver (also known as the Webley Break-Top Revolver or Webley Self-Extracting Revolver) and was, in various marks, the standard issue service pistol for the armed forces of the United Kingdom, the British Empire, and the Commonwealth from 1887 until 1963. You may also recognize it as the gun Indiana Jones carried in The Last Crusade.

The Webley is a top-break revolver with automatic extraction; breaking the revolver open for reloading also operates the extractor, removing the spent cartridges from the cylinder. The Webley Mk I service revolver was adopted in 1887, but it was a later version, the Mk IV, which rose to prominence during the Boer War of 1899–1902. The Mk VI, introduced in 1915 during World War I, is perhaps the best-known model.

Webley service revolvers are among the most powerful top-break revolvers ever produced, firing the .455 Webley cartridge. Although the .455 calibre Webley is no longer in military service, the .38/200 Webley Mk IV variant is still in use as a police sidearm in a number of countries

The one I saw was a Mk III, the above pic is a Mk VI; I am looking for a Mk IV or higher as they were made with higher quality steel and case hardened parts compared to the earlier models.

If anyone happens upon on of these in good shape that is a Mk IV or higher I would appreciate it. I would prefer a .455, many that were brought into the US were converted to .45 ACP by using moon clips and shaving the cylinder down 1/16th of an inch (shown in the pic below), but right now the non-converted model are more desirable.

DSC_1033.jpg

To tell if a cylinder has been shaved or not, you can open up the gun and see if see the trade stamps (little crowns and other British fluff) are still on the cylinder head. If they are present, then the gun is unmodified.

Cheers! M2

M2

I went in to the Bullet Hole here in Omaha to order my new XDm Custom Competition and they have a Webley in the case. I haven't checked it out yet but it definitley caught my eye. It's like $1100-1200 I think. I can check it out and see if it's what you're looking for. Let me know if you're interested.

Cooter

Cooter

Thanks, I just sent them an email about it; we'll have to see what they say about it, as that is the upper end of prices that I have seen for Webleys! If the info is good, I may have to find a TDY to STRATCOM so I can check it out!

I am also talking with a guy about an hour from here on a Mk VI, marked 1917 with the Australian Military "D" with broad arrow. The only problem is that it has been shaved down for .45 ACP moonclips. Where that makes it easier to find ammo for it, it decreases the value. He's asking just shy of $800 for it. I'm still thinking...

Cheers! M2

Cooter

Thanks, I just sent them an email about it; we'll have to see what they say about it, as that is the upper end of prices that I have seen for Webleys! If the info is good, I may have to find a TDY to STRATCOM so I can check it out!

I am also talking with a guy about an hour from here on a Mk VI, marked 1917 with the Australian Military "D" with broad arrow. The only problem is that it has been shaved down for .45 ACP moonclips. Where that makes it easier to find ammo for it, it decreases the value. He's asking just shy of $800 for it. I'm still thinking...

Cheers! M2

Glad to help. They do tend to be on the high side with their prices sometimes but it varies. I walked out the door the other day with a Bushmaster Optics Ready Carbine for $975 the other day, and suggested retail is $1100. Not sure how apt they are to wheeling and dealing either. Good Luck.

Coot

I just finished reading the FBI's handgun wounding paper. ( yes I know I should have read it a long time ago )

What I found interesting was that I drew a different conclusion about caliber selection than M2. He rightly found that a .45 is better than a 9mm or .40 in a single shot scenario. I got out of that report that all handgun rounds are so pathetic that the real answer is multiple hits. What I decided was that with my 9mm, I get more shots faster and more accurately.

That's what I've decided as well. It is interesting to look at this age old question in the "international" light. The .45 ACP is uniquely an American round. Sure, it was invented here and used abroad but we're to only ones to use it in mass quantities - 1911s, Thompsons, Grease Guns... The rest of the world has been killing people for many, many years using the 9mm. Another way to think about pistols is their primary use is to allow you to fight your way to a rifle!

BF

Freddie, another interesting read is "Shooting to Live" by Fairbairn and Sykes. They advocated the 1911 over larger calibers (like the .455 Webley) due to being a semi-auto. They felt that volume of fire was important, basically saying you should be shooting in bursts so that your handgun approximates a machine pistol. (paraphrased, but close to their words)