Gun Talk

VL-16

Guest NotAPilot

I have a .22 cal pellet gun. Spring loaded mo-fo that's a pain to crank but it is quite effective for varmints within the city limits. Since it isn't a firearm, the cops really can't do anything. Poppin' off a .17 HMR or a .22 might get you a little trouble if that stray cat won't ever go away. The way things are going one little thing involving a firearm could get you banned for life. Doves really like to nest in my eves in the spring. Some have been discouraged from returning.

Guest AceTomatoCo
I know this is a "real gun" thread but does anyone have any experience with co2 guns? I'm not in a position to buy a real gun yet and was wondering if they are any fun or just a waste of money.

"you'll shoot your eye out Ralphy" :thumbsup:

Also, I highly reccommend the new NERF dart guns. I think I've fired more NERF darts at family members since Christmas than I've fired real ammo the rest of the year. They're a blast.

Nerf dart guns are fun, my yard is filled with lost darts. I usually come home to 8 or 10 kids in the yard playing nerf guns, getting in the house without taking fire is tough.

Another fun play gun- Lazer Tag. We got the kid this for Christmas and I think I have just as much fun playing as the kids. Me and my bro-in-law played for hours. It has pretty good range and is suprisingly accurate.

back on topic- CO2 guns- I have an old school CO2 BB pistol that I've had since 1984. It's a 17 shot semi-auto and is a blast in the yard. On a fresh CO2, it's powerful, the power fades after a few dozen shots.

EDIT- I didn't mention a 1911 in this post, so I figured I needed to edit and include it.

Edited by slacker

Well, finally got my M4 frankengun complete...I think it's pretty sweet and it shoots like a dream!

IMG_0807.jpg

Great choices all around. I love the SOPMOD stocks - too bad they're so expensive. You can't beat a Noveske upper. Good optic in the best mount available. The SF X300 is a great light and very, very versatile. One question - how are you going to activate it? Unless you naturally run your hand out that far it might be difficult to do. The last thing I'd pick up would be a good sling. Either a Vickers Tactical or a VTAC sling - great slings that are more than just carrying straps.

BF

Alright... XD-45 or 1911?

Well, I thought I was at the gunshop for a shotgun, but a barely-used 4" XD-45 made it's way into my hand. I like it! However... I haven't shot an XD. $435; 2 mags but no case or holster.

In the same display case was a barely-used Springfield Armory 1911 GI. Of course I like it! I have shot 1911s before, and liked it. $535.

I put $100 on the XD to hold it until I can get to the rental-range and shoot their XD-45 - the guy at the gunshop said the used XDs he gets go pretty quickly, whereas the 1911s are slower to move these days.

I'm a little concerned that the XD is gonna be a little too much for my wife's small hands; I don't think the 1911 would be a problem. Since she's 8 months pregnant, going to the range with me is out.

Help me decide, Mister Springfield a.k.a. M2!

****** EVENING UPDATE ********

Wife is telling me not to base my purchase decision on her ability or inability to get a grip on it. I'm thinking I might have to get something for her as well...

Edited by JarheadBoom

One question - how are you going to activate it?

It's very quick to move my hand forward on the handguard and rock the rocker switch inboard from the underside. Not a problem for me...although it may not be tacticool enough for others.

Well, I thought I was at the gunshop for a shotgun, but a barely-used 4" XD-45 made it's way into my hand. I like it! However... I haven't shot an XD. $435; 2 mags but no case or holster.

In the same display case was a barely-used Springfield Armory 1911 GI. Of course I like it! I have shot 1911s before, and liked it. $535.

I put $100 on the XD to hold it until I can get to the rental-range and shoot their XD-45 - the guy at the gunshop said the used XDs he gets go pretty quickly, whereas the 1911s are slower to move these days.

I'm a little concerned that the XD is gonna be a little too much for my wife's small hands; I don't think the 1911 would be a problem. Since she's 8 months pregnant, going to the range with me is out.

Help me decide, Mister Springfield a.k.a. M2!

Have both, but would get the XD. Hell, I bought the XD because of M2's advice. That being said, the XD45 might be a little big for small hands. Why not take your wife to the gun store and hold it.

FYI, $425 is a pretty good deal. Just saw used XDs today for $450 to $499.

Well, I thought I was at the gunshop for a shotgun, but a barely-used 4" XD-45 made it's way into my hand. I like it! However... I haven't shot an XD. $435; 2 mags but no case or holster...

$435 is a fair price, but it depends on how much you want the case and holster. I'm not a big fan of the holster, but I did get my XD45 brand new with case, 2 mags, holster, double mag pouch, and speedloader for $480 back in June at a local gunshow.

My wife has small hands as well and does not like my XD45. The double stack mag make for an odd grip for her. But then again, she doesn't seem to like anything with a grip safety. However, she loves my Sig 229. She even refers to it as *her* gun.

I think you're got a shot at being the first one to make M2 pause to recommend the XD. Deciding between it and a 1911 is tough.

Hell no, they're not a waste of money. I have (almost) as much fun shooting BB & pellet guns with my kids as I do filling our pond dam with 5.56s. If you can't get a 10/22 or something similar, it's better than nothing.

Also, I highly reccommend the new NERF dart guns. I think I've fired more NERF darts at family members since Christmas than I've fired real ammo the rest of the year. They're a blast.

Back on track - Buddy, I'm envious. That's the same bi-tone tactical I purchased a couple years ago, but I like the new XD styling better. Nice collection.

I have a .22 cal pellet gun. Spring loaded mo-fo that's a pain to crank but it is quite effective for varmints within the city limits. Since it isn't a firearm, the cops really can't do anything. Poppin' off a .17 HMR or a .22 might get you a little trouble if that stray cat won't ever go away. The way things are going one little thing involving a firearm could get you banned for life. Doves really like to nest in my eves in the spring. Some have been discouraged from returning.

Nerf dart guns are fun, my yard is filled with lost darts. I usually come home to 8 or 10 kids in the yard playing nerf guns, getting in the house without taking fire is tough.

Another fun play gun- Lazer Tag. We got the kid this for Christmas and I think I have just as much fun playing as the kids. Me and my bro-in-law played for hours. It has pretty good range and is suprisingly accurate.

back on topic- CO2 guns- I have an old school CO2 BB pistol that I've had since 1984. It's a 17 shot semi-auto and is a blast in the yard. On a fresh CO2, it's powerful, the power fades after a few dozen shots.

EDIT- I didn't mention a 1911 in this post, so I figured I needed to edit and include it.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at both Daisy and Crosman products and was looking into the Crosman C11.

OK, JHB, I will fess up here...if I had to own only one handgun, it would be...(drumroll here)....the XD-45!

Yes, I do love my 1911s, and I think every American male needs to own at least one. But the lighter, higher capacity and more reliable XD gets the nod. It is easier to carry and once you get the hang of the trigger (the safety throws people off, but it doesn't take long to get used to it), it is an extremely accurate handgun!

And that's a good price, if it is in good shape. You aren't missing anything not getting the case, mag holder or holster; as long as you are getting the gun and two magazines, you have what is important. And honestly, if you call Springfield they might even send you those items (their customer service is excellent, and the gun is guaranteed for life, no matter who the owner is). But there are loads of better holsters out there, and even the cheapo Uncle Mikes IWB neoprene one I used for conceal carry (size 15) works well with it.

That said, once you get it and buy some ammo (get Winchester White Box from WalMart, 100 rounds for ~$30, for the range; and whatever self-defense ammo you like for every other time); start saving your money for a 1911. You will have to buy one eventually, but get the XD first.

And post pics once you get it!

Cheers! M2

p.s. My wife likes shooting my 1911s better than my XD, but she is OK with it. Obviously, it is easier to grasp the single-stack 1911s than the double-stacked XD; but to be honest the XD is probably the thinnest double-stock grip I've ever held. Makes the crappy M9 feel like it's wrapped in 20 feet of duct tape! There are compact 1911s out there, but they are only 6-7 rounds capable and to be honest their reliability is questionable to me. I've shot a Para-Ordnance PDA a few weeks ago and it had several FTF/FTEs. Granted, it was nearly brand new; but my XD ate every round that it failed to shoot. I am sure that grated on my bud's nerves; but I told him to buy an XD. But being Canadian, he wanted a Para-Ordnance...

p.s.s. You do realize that a shortie shottie would be a better home defense weapon (18.5" is the minimum length by law); but even tougher to shoot. I have a Mossy, but I won't even let the wife shoot it at the range. I don't want her to be scared of it if she ever has to use it, and it is our primary HD weapon.

Guest zookrider

1911: Gold standard of combat handguns, used by LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, USMC SOF, Audie Murphy, George Patton, and Magnum PI.

XD: On the market for 15 years but no major law enforcement or military contracts except Croatia.

Edit: XD's a fine pistol. Just not a better choice than a good 1911. Not my preference among polymer guns either, but a fine pistol.

Edited by zookrider

Thanks for all the words, everyone; I appreciate it.

p.s.s. You do realize that a shortie shottie would be a better home defense weapon (18.5" is the minimum length by law); but even tougher to shoot. I have a Mossy, but I won't even let the wife shoot it at the range. I don't want her to be scared of it if she ever has to use it, and it is our primary HD weapon.

I do realize that a shotty is a better option for HD - in fact, that's what I originally went to the gunshop to look at.

BUT...

- Pistol is gonna be much easier to keep/conceal in our bedroom (it's a small room; barely enough room for our queen-size bed) than a shotgun.

- Pistol is far less intimidating to my wife than a shotgun would be.

- My wife is no-kidding interested in shooting a pistol. The long guns... not so much. I'm working on that, but all non-crisis shooting for her is on hold until after she has the baby.

- I have a feeling the new Administration will go after hi-cap semiauto pistols (and mags) before pump shotguns, so I figure now's the time to get one. I already waited too long for an AR at a reasonable price - I'm not gonna make that mistake again. Opinion only...

Well, after much thought and discussion with the spousal unit, and opinions from some other folks I trust from another forum... it will be an XD New Year, as long as I like it at the range tomorrow.

Edited by JarheadBoom

Check out Cabelas for the .22 air rifle.

Went to Sports Authority and bought a Crosman C11. It had some pretty good reviews online and it provides some level of fun to shoot but I don't think anything less than a real gun will do. I thought it'd be more powerful.

1911: Gold standard of combat handguns, used by LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, USMC SOF, Audie Murphy, George Patton, and Magnum PI.

XD: On the market for 15 years but no major law enforcement or military contracts except Croatia.

Edit: XD's a fine pistol. Just not a better choice than a good 1911. Not my preference among polymer guns either, but a fine pistol.

Sorry partner, there are a lot of law enforcement agencies in the US that use the XD!. Sure, it is not as common as the Glock .40; but they are being used.

And whereas I love the 1911, you can't argue that the XD is a much more reliable weapon. Plus, as I've stated before, it has a much greater capacity.

It is like comparing the P-51 to the F-15. Both are wonderful platforms, but which would you want in a modern battle?

Cheers! M2

The 1911 :flag_waving:

Good for you, and you can have the M-16 as well. I will take an XD and an AK, as I want something I can depend on which will withstand prolonged use in a combat environment...

Just had to let M2 and the rest of the XD crowd know that I have joined the community.

Visiting home for Christmas I picked up an XD 9mm Tactical model from my uncle. Wanted an XD and while I wasn't looking/not looking for the tactical model, he has recently bought a few other pistols and was willing to part with the gun, case, holster, 5 magazines and some ammo for $400. Just couldn't pass it up. Only had about 400 rounds put through it; can't wait to add to the total.