Gun Talk

VL-16

2 hours ago, hispeed7721 said:

If you have a piston AR (pistol or rifle), you don't need a buffer/spring. The piston is doing the work of the buffer. That's what allows you to have a folding stock or no stock, in the case of his AR pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Explain to me how the piston returns the BCG to battery...?

Something else to consider in this mess is why the "spring guide" in an AR-15 is called a "buffer."  

The BCG will tend to bounce or rebound out of battery slightly after chambering a round.  It's not a huge deal in semi-auto unless the the action spring can't push it back closed, in full auto or other shenanigans that replicates that rate of fire it could cause a round to fire out of battery.

The weights in the buffer give the ass end of the carrier a slap as it starts to bounce to keep the bolt closed.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HeloDude said:

AK platforms...

Yes, they also have a recoil spring, built into the system and enclosed in the receiver.  The AR design places that spring in the receiver extension/buffer tube.  Leave the buffer tube off and the BCG is going to fly out the back.

I'm guessing you know that, and we are just seeing the poor results of internet conversations.

Edited by raimius
  • Upvote 1

This is what I'm talking about.  It does require a buffer spring.  I currently have it mounted on a pistol lower and I'm changing the buffer tube out for a carbine length tube.  What I didn't realize is the LWRC uses a proprietary buffer spring and buffer, made smaller than other pistol buffer tubes which typically use a carbine spring and are carbine length.

since I'm switching the proprietary buffer tube out for a carbine length tube, I'll need a new buffer and spring because the old spring and buffer were designed for a shorter tube.  

I should have been more specific in my initial question.  Its just that once I started researching the question, I realized I knew less than I thought.  

22 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

This is what I'm talking about.  It does require a buffer spring.  I currently have it mounted on a pistol lower and I'm changing the buffer tube out for a carbine length tube.  What I didn't realize is the LWRC uses a proprietary buffer spring and buffer, made smaller than other pistol buffer tubes which typically use a carbine spring and are carbine length.

since I'm switching the proprietary buffer tube out for a carbine length tube, I'll need a new buffer and spring because the old spring and buffer were designed for a shorter tube.  

I should have been more specific in my initial question.  Its just that once I started researching the question, I realized I knew less than I thought.  

This is how I'd probably go about it: Find a kitchen scale  and weigh the LWRC buffer.  Buy the carbine buffer that weighs the same as a starting point. Assuming the LRWC buffer has a roll pin holding it together like a normal buffer, you could take it apart and see what type of weights are in it and compare those to what's inside a normal buffer.  Or call LRWC.

Standard carbine buffer is ~3 oz, H1 is ~3.8, H2 is ~4.6, H3 is ~5.5

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2016 at 9:01 AM, busdriver said:

.....  Or call LWRC.

So that's what I did.  The answer is carbine buffer spring with H2 buffer will cycle fine with this system using a carbine length buffer tube, but other buffer weights won't.  Glad I asked.  Now I guess I should buy a new tool to get the castle nut off.... these pistol buffers are wider than carbine buffers, although it's the same castle nut I can't get my tool over the buffer tube!  So I'll need an open ended wrench.

• 1 month later...

I've heard negative reviews from two guys I know who bought that holster - said the draw was clumsy, they fought between damn near unable to draw and pants so loose (to enable an "ok" draw) it was annoying. But, no firsthand experience, so take that with a grain of salt.  Personally I have never had issues with good IWB or pocket holsters for conceal carry; this things looks and sounds like a gimmick more than a legitimate holster.

It's another iteration of the old "Pager Pal."  I would not buy into it, there are too many factors involved that could wrong when drawing a weapon.  And how would you draw when seated (like driving)?  I also would not want to have to use both hands to draw if possible. 

Get a good IWB holster.  This ain't one.

There's a short video/animated GIF somewhere out there that shows a pistol flying through the air when being drawn from one of these holsters.  I'll see if I can find it...

Won't change a thing.  Base commanders/managers are going to see allowing concealed carry on base as a high-risk/no reward scenario that will jeopardize their careers.  When previous Chief of Staff was asked about concealed carry at a base visit following the sea port shootings in CA, he spouted off the standard BS answer of 'how will law enforcement know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy when they arrive?'  Easy sir, the bad guy will be the dead dude laying on the pavement and the good guy will be the guy standing over him with a holstered firearm asking the cops what took them so long to get there.  Instead, we'll just have more of the same training about hiding under your desk and only confronting the bad guy when the barrel is on your temple.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, busdriver said:

ATIS, are you looking for something in particular or just trying some shit out?

Daydreaming CCW.  Inside the waist is they way I will go, just looking around at options. 

Glock 30 is probably what I would throw in the holster. 

ATIS

Daydreaming CCW.  Inside the waist is they way I will go, just looking around at options. 
Glock 30 is probably what I would throw in the holster. 
ATIS

Stay away from the gimmicky crap. If you've never carried before, I recommend a good leather IWB plus a good belt. Unless you tuck in your shirt frequently stay away from j hooks.

8 hours ago, Flare said:

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/521056_dodd_2016.pdf

Saw this was approved on Friday....how long until, or will it, change anything?

Nope, this is the lead the bozos in Washington need to follow...

Texas Authorizes Carry of Personally Owned Firearms on All Texas Military Department Installations