Gun Talk

VL-16

$2700?! Jesus...what drives a price like that over other ARs?

I've been to Grey's and they definitely have nice stuff...and it's all at a very 'nice' <caugh caugh> price. Lets just say that I know someone who personally knows these guys and I was told that they market to wealthy people in Destin. I'm assuming that goes for their online sales as well.

As for spending $1K on an AK--do you want a 47 or a 74? I'm personally a bigger fan of the 74. Like M2 said, it's hard to go wrong with an Arsenal...their other company (called the FIME Group) are built on the Russian Saiga stamped receivers which are quality. If you want to shell out a few hundred more, look into a Krebs as they make some of the best.

I think the best value AK are the Waffen Werks AK-74's. You can get one as cheap as $600 on classicfirearms.com and then buy some nicer furniture to your liking. Or just pay a little more and get one of their nicer ones.

• Upvote 1

Thanks M2!!!

Thanks helodude. I'm thinking 47 but I will definitely look into the 74s. I'll check into the Krebs as well. Now I just got to go launder some money from the wife!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anybody heard/read about this new 'Tac-Con 3MR Trigger' (drop-in trigger) for the AR? It's peaked my interest and it seems like it's making a lot of noise (no pun intended) at the beginning of Shot Show. It doesn't look overly impressive in the video below, but some of the gun guys I follow are saying how awesome it is from shooting it today at Show Show. Thoughts?

https://tacfirecon.com/tacfireconshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

• Upvote 1

$2700?! Jesus...what drives a price like that over other ARs?

<br /><br />The fact that the entire rifle is a milled piece of aluminum. Saves weight and keeps strength but that's a lot of waste your paying for left on the floor of the Machine shop.

I want it.

What do you guys think about this? Is this heading in the right direction?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/714007832/redirect

If this is what you're looking for, aimsurplus has it with newer furniture and a cheaper price.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CAKPAP&name=Zastava+N PAP+M70+7.62x39+AK+Rifle&groupid=11

I think it all comes down to why you want an AK and why you think this one would be a good choice (not saying it's a bad choice). If you just want to get your first AK, want it to be in 7.62, and want the 'traditional' look (wood furniture, etc), then this rifle will be fine I'm sure. Don't get me wrong...there's something very cool about the traditional look of an AK, especially for your first one, and they're fun to shoot. Aim also has one with the folding stock for $499 here.

But if you're interested in an AK that is dare I say, more 'functional'?, then I think there are better options out there. The wood furniture looks cool, but the ones with polymer furniture is better for running an AK. So it really all comes down to what you want, what you want it for, and what you want to spend.

Oh and here's another century arms side folder for $430 from jgsales.com and it's on a milled receiver.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/vz2008-sporter-7-62x39-w-side-folding-stock-milled-receiver,-by-cai-backordered-/products_id/3281?osCsid=c23ad1d02e40cb5ea974e94b7bfef4d6

• Upvote 1

Great advice. I like the look and nostalgia of the wood furniture, but ultimately I want function, so I think polymer is what I should look for. I would like a fixed stock though. Definitely looking for a 7.62. Thanks again guys!

Duck, the first rifle you posted is an O-PAP, which has the original (beefier) RPK receiver on it. Not really necessary with out the grenade launching capability the original M70B1 has, but still a desired trait. The one HeloDude posted is a N-PAP, which doesn't have the RPK bulged receiver on it.

So what's the attraction for the grenade launcher?!?

Well, first and foremost, let me clarify that this is NOT ME! I'm not that thin or good looking, nor do I speak so elegantly! :thefinger:

But this video shows how a Yugo M70 can launch a dummy grenade...

And yes, I do own a practice grenade! You can also buy devices that allow you to do the same with a tennis ball.

I have a couple of M70s and prefer them over the PAPs because of its closer lineage to the original rifle the JNA carried, as no PAPs have the gas block or grenade sites on on them. But the price and availability of these is tough to resist!

Just to clarify, these are new production rifles whereas the original M70s were built off demilled kits (minus receivers). They are all built on 1.5mm thick receivers whereas most AKs are 1.0mm, so they're heavier rifles but I feel of a better quality than most stamped AKs.

Note that these rifles have a tendency to beat the hell out of your face because of their high cheek weld. It's a common characteristic on Yugos. Side folders are even worse because of their design and it's tough trying to get any check weld out of most of them (the Vz2002) HD also posted needs more of a "chin weld." Speaking of which, those are great rifles but they are not AKs. The only component they share is the ammo. No other parts, even the magazines, are interchangeable. They even function differently, but that said, they are outstanding rifles and many say they are what the AK should have been in the first place!

Lastly, I'll agree that my polymer, stamped AKs (basically my Saiga) is an easier and more comfortable rifle to shoot and carry; but there's something about the traditional wood furniture on an AK that makes it so appealing. You can even pick up BFPU furniture from APEX for some rifles, which really increase the cool factor of them!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Since moving to the fascist city of NYC I haven't had much need to buy ammo anymore but just out of curiosity are supplies still as tight as 10-12 months ago? I know people were stockpiling like crazy for a while, has it slowed down?

Not even close. Only common round that is still somewhat hard to come by (at a decent price anyway) is .22LR, and I've been able to keep my eye out online and buy the 500rd packs at decent prices here and there. Brass .223 is abundant and is down to $.35/rd at its lowest and bulk steel 7.62 x 39 is nearly as cheap as it was a couple years ago. .308 is still a little higher. As for pistols, brass 9mm is going for around $.27-29/rd and brass .40 is going for $.34ish/rd, so both are about 3-5 cents higher per round than before the shooting.

Getting paroled out of NYC anytime soon?

<br /><br />The fact that the entire rifle is a milled piece of aluminum. Saves weight and keeps strength but that's a lot of waste your paying for left on the floor of the Machine shop.

Typically billet aluminum receivers are heavier than your standard AR uppers and lowers. They purposely leave extra material for "strength." Since the receivers on an AR are already more than strong enough, it's pretty useless. Their selling point that they use 7075 aluminum in their receivers is dubious too. The cheaper (quality) AR "manufacturers" use 6061, but the well respected manufacturers use 7075 as that's what the mil-spec calls for.

I have no personal experience with Grey Tactical, but I recommend to anyone looking for a quality AR-15 to stick with Colt, BCM, KAC, Noveske, Larue, or Daniel Defense.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a dumb question but here goes...

First time buying from Bud's LE shop and I need to register my credentials to receive mil/LE discounts. They ask to send a front and back copy of your ID. Thought there was a law against making copies of your mil ID, could be wrong. What have you guys sent in to fulfill this type of requirement?

Thanks in advance :beer:

First time buying from Bud's LE shop and I need to register my credentials to receive mil/LE discounts. They ask to send a front and back copy of your ID. Thought there was a law against making copies of your mil ID, could be wrong. What have you guys sent in to fulfill this type of requirement?

Just call/email them. They'll take a copy of your LES and/or PCS orders. Just blackout your SSN and whatever else they don't need.

• Upvote 1

Bought a Colt LE6940 from them… great deal if they have them in stock. I just sent them a mid-month LES which worked and it stayed on file for other purchases under my account. The only "bad" thing about Buds LE is that to get the full discount you need to use their electronic check program. Great deal, it just takes about 10 days from when you order the gun until they process it and then whatever time it takes to get to where you ship it. If you are like me you are counting the seconds until your new toy gets there for you to play with, but the wait is worth the price from my experience.

Edited by Rusty Pipes

Not even close. Only common round that is still somewhat hard to come by (at a decent price anyway) is .22LR, and I've been able to keep my eye out online and buy the 500rd packs at decent prices here and there. Brass .223 is abundant and is down to $.35/rd at its lowest and bulk steel 7.62 x 39 is nearly as cheap as it was a couple years ago. .308 is still a little higher. As for pistols, brass 9mm is going for around $.27-29/rd and brass .40 is going for $.34ish/rd, so both are about 3-5 cents higher per round than before the shooting.

Thanks. Sadly no, just got to NYC last August and will be here at least another 16-18 months. The irony is of all the places I've lived now is where I probably need the gun the most (living in Harlem) and yet am the most restricted in my ability to own one.

Thanks. Sadly no, just got to NYC last August and will be here at least another 16-18 months. The irony is of all the places I've lived now is where I probably need the gun the most (living in Harlem) and yet am the most restricted in my ability to own one.

Yeah, that sucks man. And I'm sure all others in NYC who isn't 'permitted' to have a firearm also doesn't have one <sarcasm>. Well, folks on the left tell women to pee all over themselves if they're getting raped (rather than carry a firearm), so my suggestion is to always be drinking either a lot of coffee or a lot of beer.

All joking aside, stay safe out there man, and GTFO at your first opportunity!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sure it has been posted a bunch on these 232 pages, but Gunbot.net is pretty sweet for finding ammo. If you dig a little you can find good deals on bulk .223 with free shipping. If you are looking for good target ammo I've had great luck with Freedom Munitions. I've probably put a few thousand rounds of 9mm and .223 (both new and once fired) through my guns and have yet to have a single misfire. As good as any target ammo out there… pretty clean and accurate for target stuff, plus there is a military discount.

I'm sure it has been posted a bunch on these 232 pages, but Gunbot.net is pretty sweet for finding ammo. If you dig a little you can find good deals on bulk .223 with free shipping. If you are looking for good target ammo I've had great luck with Freedom Munitions. I've probably put a few thousand rounds of 9mm and .223 (both new and once fired) through my guns and have yet to have a single misfire. As good as any target ammo out there… pretty clean and accurate for target stuff, plus there is a military discount.

Yea, I go to sites like that one, along with wikiarms.com...but the best, IMO, is slickguns.com. If you are finding brass ammo (original) .223 at cheaper than $.35/rd then you better share the info with the rest of us because this is the cheapest I have found.

The good news is that even when .223 brass was hanging out at $.43-.45/rd, I was wondering if that was near the new 'bottom floor', and was happy to see it continue to go down even more. The cheapest bulk brass .223 I saw the summer/fall before the election/shooting was around $.29/rd...so if we can get back to that, then I think is all is well (with the exception of .22LR). That is until the next mass shooting and then we may have to go through the whole damn thing again. Buy up while you can!

Yea, I go to sites like that one, along with wikiarms.com...but the best, IMO, is slickguns.com. If you are finding brass ammo (original) .223 at cheaper than $.35/rd then you better share the info with the rest of us because this is the cheapest I have found.

The good news is that even when .223 brass was hanging out at $.43-.45/rd, I was wondering if that was near the new 'bottom floor', and was happy to see it continue to go down even more. The cheapest bulk brass .223 I saw the summer/fall before the election/shooting was around $.29/rd...so if we can get back to that, then I think is all is well (with the exception of .22LR). That is until the next mass shooting and then we may have to go through the whole damn thing again. Buy up while you can!

I bought 1000 rounds of new .223 brass from Freedom Munitions for .36/rd, plus 5% military discount which almost pays for the shipping. They don't always have it available, but good deal if they do for great target ammo. I always check in with them on "patriotic" holidays because they have good deals for military and vets… on Vets day they had free shipping so I ended up getting .223 for about .34/rd with the 5% military discount. They have definitely become my go to company for all my target ammo unless a see a great deal on some Federal or another US brand. They sell their .223 in boxes of 50 cased just like handgun ammo. I stay away from the foreign stuff for the most part if I can.

Funny, we were just talking about ammo from Freedom Munitions at work this afternoon (yeah, I'm sure you're all surprised by the fact that I work with a bunch of gun people!).

Normally I advise people to shun away from reloaded ammo, but I've heard nothing but good things about their stuff and given that many calibers are still tough to find, it's definitely an option.

I still wouldn't buy anything from that weird guy at the gun show selling bags of ammo he reloaded; but I think Freedom is about as good as the stuff most "new" ammo manufacturers offer...

How many people buy "specialty" ammo? For target practice I usually bought the cheap stuff because it didn't really matter but I would imagine for personal/home defense some of the pricier ammo might be worth a little more. I have to admit I was browsing the Winchester Ammo website and was blown away by the number of options and "new" types of ammo they are producing.

How many people buy "specialty" ammo? For target practice I usually bought the cheap stuff because it didn't really matter but I would imagine for personal/home defense some of the pricier ammo might be worth a little more. I have to admit I was browsing the Winchester Ammo website and was blown away by the number of options and "new" types of ammo they are producing.

Right now I just use the more expensive stuff (Hornady, Speer, etc) for my carry/home defense options. Guys that are into competition shooting for accuracy will use the the expensive stuff, or if you're just wanting to see how accurate you/your rifle can shoot. I hunt with decent ammo, but some folks will use the really expensive stuff, that is if they don't load their own. For plinking and training, the basic stuff will work just fine IMO.

Even after several years, the more I continue shoot, the more I have learned that it's about quality shot placement that counts the most.