Gun Talk

VL-16

Saw this the other day on SlickGuns.com, and downloaded it to my Android phone once I got home...

SlickGuns.com Bar Code Scanner Application

phone-scan.jpg

Took it to the gun show yesterday and it was a lot of fun, it's nice to know what a firearm or ammo are selling for on that website before shelling out considerably more for the same item at the show. And, for vendors that will negotiate, it's helpful in find a price that both the buyer and seller find acceptable.

Now, just to note I understand businesses have to make money and I don't have any problems with that. Actually, I prefer to spend my money at a local gun shop than I do online companies as it is mutually beneficial to do so. However, there is still a lot of price gouging going on especially at gun shows here and I prefer to be armed with as much information that I can get. When .22 ammo is still being sold at 2-3x the price I can get it at elsewhere, I have no problem with going with the cheaper source. However, shops that are not too much more expensive than the online price will get my business every time as well as my recommendation to others as it is mutually beneficial for all involved.

Cheers! M2

M2 did you see that the Randolph BX just started selling firearms and ammo? Checked it out today, the shelves were still fairly well stocked and prices seemed reasonable.

Sweet, gonna have to go check that out!

Anyone hunt big game here? Thinking about doing a build. Most common use would be deer, but want something that I can use for bull elk and possibly big horn as well. Not sure if 308 would do well enough over 300 yards. Ugh, decisions.

I'm not really a big game hunter, but a .308 should "suffice," but wouldn't be my first choice. A .308 will still have ~1,000 ft/lbs of energy out to 500m, but that will drop off to significantly at 1,000m. I would look the 7MM series or a .300 Win Mag.

Not sure if you've seen this guy, but he's got a 74 part series on long range shooting. This guy can put you into coma getting into the weeds, but he conveys a metric fuckton of info.

Anyone hunt big game here? Thinking about doing a build. Most common use would be deer, but want something that I can use for bull elk and possibly big horn as well. Not sure if 308 would do well enough over 300 yards. Ugh, decisions.

As SocialD mentioned...both the 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag would fill the high end of your requirements. Could also look at the 7WSM or .300WSM for a short action gun. All these rounds are found in most any store selling ammo, which is good. Probably a little overkill for deer, but not overly. Covers all your bases with one gun.

For deer just about any cartridge will work. All the short action -08s are good choices, like the .243.Win, .260 Rem, 7-08 Rem, and .308 Win.

I use a .30-06 and it worked well on a WY elk this year at about 200 yds with 165 Accubonds. Can use the cheaper 150 CoreLokts for deer. Working on a 180gr Partition load for elk next year. Very versatile cartridge. Been thinking about getting a 25-06 and 35 Whelen to round out my -06 collection.

Honestly, most any cartridge and gun these days will work for your needs. More important to find a rifle you shoot well and can afford to practice simulating field conditions.

Edited by Shaft34

Grendel would be ok for deer, but marginal for the other game you mentioned. A 123gr bullet at 2400 fps doesn't come close to touching a .308 with a 150 or 165gr bullet. The other 6.5s (.260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, or 6.5x55 Swede) do have better down range potential though. You would need an AR-10 size for those.

Go 7 mag if you end up with a bolt gun. Could use the reduced recoil ammo for the shorter range deer shots to keep the velocity more reasonable.

Why waste the opportunity to get two guns. One deer gun and one elk/big game gun. Compromises usually don't pay off; you get something that can do everything, but no one thing well. Even better throw a new .22 practice rifle in the mix as a companion trainer.

Why waste the opportunity to get two guns. One deer gun and one elk/big game gun. Compromises usually don't pay off; you get something that can do everything, but no one thing well. Even better throw a new .22 practice rifle in the mix as a companion trainer.

That's what I'm thinkin. Start with 223, get an upper for 6.5 few months ahead of when I think I'll need it, then built a bolt later on once I actually win an elk tag.

• Upvote 1

Randolph BX gun prices are nothing special. Glocks are way more than Glock LE pricing that you can get at Dury's. Ammo is more than online but no shipping might even it out. 1 box limit for 100+, 2 boxes if <100.

No shit, they have "tactical" rifles but aren't allowed to have them on display.

• Upvote 1

AAFES is getting really squirrely on the gun counters. They are money makers but they seem ashamed that they are even in the store. The guys at Peterson aren't allowed to do special orders since the scare, I think the manager wants the counter to go unprofitable so they might have a reason to close it. The Academy gun counter opened up at the end of last month and they will take special orders, guess where my dollars will go?

Edited by morenoj135

I was in the local WallyWorld yesterday for motor oil, and decided to swing by the ammo case for shits & grins.

There was actually a decent amount of ammo in it, which was shocking to me - even before Newtown, it's basically been nothing but 20ga and .410 shot shells, with a random scattering of 1-2 boxes of low-demand calibers (.17HMR, .32ACP, etc.). After about a nanosecond's contemplation, I grabbed three 20rd boxes of Federal XM193 (LC13 headstamps) at $10.something each. Not a great price, but better than empty magazines...

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone knows of an Arsenal SLR-107UR like the one pictured below for sale please let me know...

Posted Image

Even if it has the solid folding stock, I'm interested.

Cheers! M2

I've got one I plan on eventually getting cut down. I haven't seen one for sale in a long time. If you're really patient I'd wait for Arsenal to maybe release some more. Get on their weekly update list for product news.

What is the best way to clean a 100-year-old rifle? It's a Remington rolling block rifle that was used in WW1 by the Royal Navy.

Planning to fire it or for decoration? If you're planning to use it, have inspected by a gunsmith first. They'll know what to look for.

In terms of cleaning, you'll need to provide more details. Is it rusty? Dirty bore? Are you trying to do a restoration? Do you want to preserve patina for collector value?

Planning to fire it or for decoration? If you're planning to use it, have inspected by a gunsmith first. They'll know what to look for.

In terms of cleaning, you'll need to provide more details. Is it rusty? Dirty bore? Are you trying to do a restoration? Do you want to preserve patina for collector value?

No rust, but the bore probably needs to be cleaned. I do not think my grandfather ever cleaned it and he kept it as an indoor showpiece for awhile before it went to the attic. I do not think I or anyone I know has the skill set to do a restoration, so I think we will probably just preserve the original patina.

No rust, but the bore probably needs to be cleaned. I do not think my grandfather ever cleaned it and he kept it as an indoor showpiece for awhile before it went to the attic. I do not think I or anyone I know has the skill set to do a restoration, so I think we will probably just preserve the original patina.

Good choice. A little bit of CLP/hoppes should work well. Pay attention to how things come apart so you can get them back together. I'm personally a fan of bore snakes. Again, run it by a gunsmith for a safety check before shooting it.

Edited by HU&W

Buds LE has SW MP-10 (.308) in stock for $979...damn, that is $100 cheaper than when some people bought theirs earlier this year. If I owned guns and already had one of these, then I'd be pretty tempted to buy one another one.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/15142

311308_01_lg.jpg

SW MP-15 OR is on sale at 'Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore' for $700 (fee shipping) for military. Then of course you get your $100 SW rebate on top of this. I know AR's right now aren't hard at all to get, but this price is super hard to beat at $600.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/72176

OK, not a firearm but made by a firearm company. I've been in the market for an inexpensive "tactical tomahawk," and after some reserach, I went with the S&W Extraction & Evasion Tomahawk...

SW671a.jpg

The reviews on Amazon for it were convincing, a few think it is a bit heavy but I actually like that; plus it has a full tang which I prefer. It's about ten bucks cheaper on Amazon than Academy, but once i had it in hand I decided I didn't want to wait. I also had something else to buy and a gift card so it was an easy decision and a good one, I think.

Cheers! M2