Gun Talk

VL-16

pro-tip: don't vote based on party...they're all assholes.

If they're all assholes (probably at least 95% true), does it really matter how you chose to vote?

New way to store your firearms?

http://www.theblaze....f-cushions-too/

It looks pretty similar to the bed gun safes some guy invented they showed on that doomsday show. The guy had motion activated pepper sprayers throughout his house that armed with his alarm and a gate that would stop a suburban doing 45. Interesting ideas, but kinda crazy to me. I bet he only forgot to deactivate his alarm once...

Christie is DOA at the national level because of his demonstrated lack of support for RKBA. These latest bills he vetoed does absolutely nothing to change his long track record, which will be a big problem for him in actual red states.

ChrisChristieOnGuns_zpse3a8a2dd.png

• Upvote 1

News Flash: AAFES now linked to Sportsman's Guide...

http://www.sportsman...t/military.aspx

This could be expensive...

Interesting find. I was pretty excited until I logged on via AAFES and started playing with around with different kinds of ammo purchases. I was able to determine that this deal (which is just a different coupon code that is automatically applied when logging in via AAFES) is only worth it when you are making an expensive enough purchase to get the shipping to be free...and usually they already have those coupon codes.

I've purchased a decent amount (ammo, ammo cans, etc) from SG over the last 1-2 years and the tricks are to watch for the deals they have, then to use your membership (it's $30/year but quickly pays for itself if you make a few purchases), and then finally make the purchase when there's a sweet coupon deal to be attached (ie $15 off when spending more than $125, free shipping over $50, etc). You literally have to play around with the different codes to make sure you're getting the best option. Once you have all 3 at the same time, that's when you can make a pretty nice score.

Here's a current deal on WPA (wolf) 7.62 x 39 ammo. If you are a club member it's only $55/240 rounds and you can order multiples (for some reason it's cheaper using the 240 rd option than the 500/1000 rd option?). If you use the code SG3923 then you can save $15 if you spend more than $125, and it also then comes with a $15 gift card. Overall a pretty sweet deal, especially if you had to renew your club membership because it was coming due, in which case they threw in even more discounts/gift cards. All in all, I basically was able to get this down to 19¢/round, and that was the final price shipped (not including the $35 in gift cards on top of that price). I miss the days when they had 5.45 1080rd round spam cans for $130 and then a coupon on top of it.

http://www.sportsman...tsmansGuide.com

Doesn't surprise me. I think I posted a while back how much I disliked the shield. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Sold it to a gunsmith and bought an XDS 15 min later. I've had it a year now, and hundreds of round later, still very pleased with it.

A family member has a shield, and I shot it a couple of times, don't really mind it but haven't handled it enough to make a good judgement on it.

Fortunately I'm pretty confident that this will never get put up for a vote in the House, at least not while the GOP is in control. Even though the establishment GOP is all about being 'Democratic-lite' these days, fortunately enough of them realize that it would be political suicide right now for them to allow more gun control bills to go forward. Though in some ways I wouldn't mind seeing who votes 'yay' and 'nay' on such a bill.

The bill would also increase the transfer tax on all weapons (except antique guns) covered under the National Firearms Act (which excludes most common guns) from $200 to $500 and index to inflation and increase the transfer tax for any other weapon from $5 to $100.

I did a quick search and am confused: Does the $5 this article mentions the current federal tax charged for doing any sort of FFL transfer/background check? And if so, I'm guessing then the article suggests that these Congressmen would want to raise that to $100...so instead of a $25 FFL transfer fee, my shop would have to charge me $125 for the same process? Yeah, I'm sure this will help their cause of passing 'universal background checks'.

What's sad is that I have no doubt that when the Dems get control of the entire government again that they'll have a heyday passing all these bills. I guess we're lucky they didn't touch gun control (via the legislature process) when the Dems had a super majority in 09-10.

• Upvote 1

The Gander Mountain in San Antonio opened its doors this morning, I stopped by this afternoon and was impressed by the wide selection of guns for sale but less so on their prices. They weren't bad but Academy is better. However, they did have a good amount of ammo on the shelves at decent prices, I picked up five boxes of Target 325-count target ammo for under a hundred bucks. I know I could probably find it cheaper online but just to have five boxes of the stuff in my hand was enough to convince me to snag it.

Of course I immediately drove down to Corpus Christi and tossed it all into the Gulf of Mexico!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

The Gander Mountain in San Antonio opened its doors this morning, I stopped by this afternoon and was impressed by the wide selection of guns for sale but less so on their prices. They weren't bad but Academy is better. However, they did have a good amount of ammo on the shelves at decent prices, I picked up five boxes of Target 325-count target ammo for under a hundred bucks. I know I could probably find it cheaper online but just to have five boxes of the stuff in my hand was enough to convince me to snag it. Of course I immediately drove down to Corpus Christi and tossed it all into the Gulf of Mexico! Cheers! M2

I agree that Gander Mountain's prices are high, but they will price match other places (if they have it in stock). I was able get them to price match Academy when I bought my XDs due to trading in an old handgun that helped make the price worth it. Sad to see all that good stuff being dumped into the Gulf.

Aw, hell...

XDS Safety Recall

Issued August 28, 2013

Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.

Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.

What should you do?

STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

To begin the upgrade process and for fastest response, click on the Get Started link at the top of the page. On that page enter your serial number and click Next. If your pistol is subject to this recall, you will need to provide your name, address, phone number, and email address. The serial number is located on the frame beneath the dust cover (accessory rail). If you prefer, you may initiate the upgrade process by calling 800-680-6866. If you no longer own the 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm or .45ACP pistol, please advise Springfield of the current owner.

XD-S Serial Number

What pistols are involved?

This Safety Recall applies only to:

Springfield 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm pistols - serial numbers between XS900000 and XS938700

Springfield 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ .45ACP pistols - serial numbers between XS500000 and XS686300.

This Safety Recall does not apply to any XD® or XD(M)® pistols.

What will Springfield do?

Springfield will send you a return authorization and mailing label, allowing you to return your 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm or .45ACP pistol to Springfield at no cost to you. Springfield will upgrade your 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm or .45ACP pistol with the new components, and return it to you. Springfield will provide tracking numbers so you can monitor the receipt and return of your upgrades.

Questions?

Visit Springfield Armory. com for further information about this safety recall. You can reach the Springfield Armory Call Center at 800-680-6866. Springfield apologizes for this inconvenience, but your safety is our paramount concern.

We greatly appreciate your loyalty to Springfield products.

Just to note the XDSpistol.com and Springfieldrecall.com websites don't seem to be working correctly. Call Springfield with your serial number to confirm whether your pistol is affected by this or not...

• Upvote 2

Not sure if that's means it's automatically a part of the recall, but things are a bit hectic at Springfield at the moment because of this so I would contact them or wait until the websites are working before making any plans to send it back.

I will be disappointed if I have to send mine back but I will as I know Springfield will take care of the problem.

But first I need to dig out my scuba gear so I can go retrieve it from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico!

Cheers! M2

I will be disappointed if I have to send mine back but I will as I know Springfield will take care of the problem.

Cheers! M2

I had to send my XD45 compact back because of some major rusting on the slide (a known issue). Called them up, was asked a few questions and they e-mailed me a postage form (prepaid postage). Dropped the slide in a box, attached the form to the outside and had it in the mail an hour later. They refinished the slide and sent it back, with two new mags for my inconvenience. Their customer service was great!

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to follow up with my original posts on the FNX-45 that can be found here: http://www.flyingsqu...post__p__353061 and here http://www.flyingsqu...post__p__353467

Total round count through the pistol is 650. I don't want to use the 2 box of FMJ that I have left in .45 ACP. I also have a few hundred rounds of Winchester Ranger 230gr HPs which I will hold off on using through this pistol as well. You may recall that I had 2 failures to return to battery with the Winchester Ranger HPs. I ran another 150 FMJs after these failures with no issues. I will need to run some more HPs through it in order to give the gun a clean bill of health, however. The pistol has since been cleaned.

I received the kydex OWB holster from KT Mech. The gun fits so tight when holstered that I am unable to draw it unless I use one hand to anchor the holster while drawing the pistol with the other hand... not good. I'm going to have to apply heat with the pistol in the holster and loosen it up a bit if I want to make it easier to draw. That being said, the holster and gun fit nicely on the belt and close to my body. I was able to conceal it with the clothing I typically wear, but extra care had to be taken when bending down because the butt of the gun would stick out. It is also somewhat uncomfortable to sit in the car as the butt of the gun digs into my back. I carry full size handguns just behind my right hip (about 4-5 o'clock). I think some of these issues could be mitigated if I used an IWB holster instead, but I have no plans on buying another holster for this gun. My other full size handguns carry much more comfortably OWB and IWB.

Overall, I am pleased with this gun... so much so that I went out and bought an FNS-9. I was trying to decide between the FNX-9 and FNS-9, but ultimately decided on the FNS-9 because I was looking for a striker fired gun. I'll give a small review of that gun in the near future. I've already shot it and carried it. Between the FNX-45 and FNS-9, I am very impressed with FNH USA's handguns. It may replace my current carry gun (1911) once I decide between it and the Walther PPQ in 9mm I picked up.

I just wanted to follow up with my original posts on the FNX-45 that can be found here: http://www.flyingsqu...post__p__353061 and here http://www.flyingsqu...post__p__353467

Total round count through the pistol is 650. I don't want to use the 2 box of FMJ that I have left in .45 ACP. I also have a few hundred rounds of Winchester Ranger 230gr HPs which I will hold off on using through this pistol as well. You may recall that I had 2 failures to return to battery with the Winchester Ranger HPs. I ran another 150 FMJs after these failures with no issues. I will need to run some more HPs through it in order to give the gun a clean bill of health, however. The pistol has since been cleaned.

I received the kydex OWB holster from KT Mech. The gun fits so tight when holstered that I am unable to draw it unless I use one hand to anchor the holster while drawing the pistol with the other hand... not good. I'm going to have to apply heat with the pistol in the holster and loosen it up a bit if I want to make it easier to draw. That being said, the holster and gun fit nicely on the belt and close to my body. I was able to conceal it with the clothing I typically wear, but extra care had to be taken when bending down because the butt of the gun would stick out. It is also somewhat uncomfortable to sit in the car as the butt of the gun digs into my back. I carry full size handguns just behind my right hip (about 4-5 o'clock). I think some of these issues could be mitigated if I used an IWB holster instead, but I have no plans on buying another holster for this gun. My other full size handguns carry much more comfortably OWB and IWB.

Overall, I am pleased with this gun... so much so that I went out and bought an FNS-9. I was trying to decide between the FNX-9 and FNS-9, but ultimately decided on the FNS-9 because I was looking for a striker fired gun. I'll give a small review of that gun in the near future. I've already shot it and carried it. Between the FNX-45 and FNS-9, I am very impressed with FNH USA's handguns. It may replace my current carry gun (1911) once I decide between it and the Walther PPQ in 9mm I picked up.

Most of the retention on a kydex holster is from the trigger guard.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Beaver, I'm aware of that, and that's where I will focus on "loosening" the fit a little. What's interesting is that the FNS-9 fits the holster and is retained fairly securely. It does rotate back and forth in the holster about the trigger guard where it "locks in," but it remains secure even after jumping around and shaking the holster upside down.

I guess I didn't really go into depth on the holster itself. It's a KT Mech Gunfighter for the FNX/FNP-45. I had never heard of them before, but they were recommended many times on FN Forum. Mine specifically is the .08" kydex with 15 degree cant. KT Mech does sell other attachment hardware to convert it to IWB. I'm annoyed by the fact that it's very tight, and makes it nigh impossible to draw. Overall construction is very good, and they have a quick build time. I probably won't be buying another one or recommend them simply because of the fit issue. I'm not sure if mine was a fluke or if that is standard for them. It can be fixed by the end user, but there are so many other holster makers out there that don't have that issue. I usually use Raven Concealment and JM Custom Kydex, and I will probably stick with those two companies when I look for future kydex holsters.

http://www.kt-mech.c...dels/FNP45.html