Gun Talk

VL-16

I was back home recently and saw a lot of people out supporting the recall petition, it was awesome to see folks standing up against Morse and Giron. My home state has Colorado liberals have gone full retard and it's not just the gun stuff.

So back to the topic of guns, anyone here have any of the newer Remington 957s? I've shot the standard 22lr, but am curious about the heavy barrel versions. Just looking for a fun semi-auto 22 to help with the prairie dog population.

I was back home recently and saw a lot of people out supporting the recall petition, it was awesome to see folks standing up against Morse and Giron. My home state has Colorado liberals have gone full retard and it's not just the gun stuff.

So back to the topic of guns, anyone here have any of the newer Remington 957s? I've shot the standard 22lr, but am curious about the heavy barrel versions. Just looking for a fun semi-auto 22 to help with the prairie dog population.

Shot it (standard, not heavy barrel), but don't have one. Not a bad rifle, but didn't feel like it matches the 10/22 in build quality.

Going to shoot my 597 this afternoon, zero it in and see how it shoots. Already have a list of mods (hammer and extractor first) to make it a fun little tack driver.

How is the ammo situation for you guys? It seems to be getting better here in ABQ if you stay away from the BBSGS and even they aren't typically selling out of stuff same day. I've been taking my wife with me so I can get 4 boxes of .22 LR (CCI & American Eagle) at a time, will have bought 1200 rounds in three days come tomorrow.

Ammo seems to be slim pickings in many calibers here near Moody. But you can find it, prices are still a bit high though.

I have yet to see ammo on any bases being a deal, you're better off trying online or at gun shows...

Kirtland was supposed to have the grand opening of their gun counter this weekend. I was told they had $400,000 worth of inventory to debut and that included a lot of ammo.

...and it lasted all of 30 or so minutes. The BX was a zoo. The gun counter was a zoo on methanphetamines. The mariachi band was a nice touch though.

• Upvote 1

For some reason I'm still a little skeptical until I actually see CCW licenses in hand to anybody who qualifies for it (ie 'shall' vs 'may' issue). That's being said, I think it's great if and when if finally happens. Will they recognize any out of Sate permits?

Also, if an Appeals Court's ruling forced this to happen then why doesn't this force other States who essentially deny permits to law abiding citizens? It's pretty much impossible to get a permit in Hawaii.

For some reason I'm still a little skeptical until I actually see CCW licenses in hand to anybody who qualifies for it (ie 'shall' vs 'may' issue). That's being said, I think it's great if and when if finally happens. Will they recognize any out of Sate permits?

Also, if an Appeals Court's ruling forced this to happen then why doesn't this force other States who essentially deny permits to law abiding citizens? It's pretty much impossible to get a permit in Hawaii.

It's a "shall" issue law. As for reciprocity I doubt there will be any reciprocity, but one step at a time.

Add another one destined for the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico...

A Savage 64 BTV with a nice BSA 3-9-40 scope with Leupold rings. The bipod didn't come with it, but those are easy to find...

hv4q_zpscd650ab4.jpg

e1c9_zpsf4a7a2e3.jpg

Bought it from the same buddy who sold me the stainless Marlin 60 that is resting peacefully with the fishes!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

PSA has a sale going on for Vortex Red-Dot's: $120 after applying the coupon code and they will apply the discount to multiple orders. Pretty awesome deal for those looking for a more inexpensive red-dot at a solid value.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/fathers-day-sale/vortex-strikefire-red-green-dot.html?utm_source=Huge+4th+of+July+Sale+Starts+NOW+-+AR-15+Upper%2C+Magazines+%26+MORE&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

ETA: They also have $400 PSA complete uppers. Here's the link with all their deals:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/fathers-day-sale.html?utm_source=Huge+4th+of+July+Sale+Starts+NOW+-+AR-15+Upper%2C+Magazines+%26+MORE&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Edited by HeloDude

Squadron Buy. Actually, trying to organize a buy for a whole community, about 400 folks. Top choices are a good 1911 model, like Springfield, etc, but I've also tried just going back to Sig because I love them, and they have a good selection. If anyone has a contact or is a vendor that can offer a discount (we'd be looking at ~100 weapons minimum), please PM me.

Looking for pistols and rifles, with the option to tag a unit symbol on the weapon.

Just saw an email today for the buy; I think it will be popular and at those prices I might be getting 3! Well done.

PSA has a sale going on for Vortex Red-Dot's: $120 after applying the coupon code and they will apply the discount to multiple orders. Pretty awesome deal for those looking for a more inexpensive red-dot at a solid value.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/fathers-day-sale/vortex-strikefire-red-green-dot.html?utm_source=Huge+4th+of+July+Sale+Starts+NOW+-+AR-15+Upper%2C+Magazines+%26+MORE&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

ETA: They also have $400 PSA complete uppers. Here's the link with all their deals:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/fathers-day-sale.html?utm_source=Huge+4th+of+July+Sale+Starts+NOW+-+AR-15+Upper%2C+Magazines+%26+MORE&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

PSA has a decent sale going on today. I picked up an XDS for $529. I'm sure there have been better deals on the XDS, but I haven't seen one.

Edited by itsokimapilot

I bought an FN FNX-45 a few days ago and I was able to go shooting with it on the 4th... 'Merica! Anyway, here are my initial impressions:

image-4.jpg

The FNX series of pistols are an upgrade to FN's FNP series. The FNX-45, specifically, arrived to the party a little less than a year ago and differs from the FNP-45 with respect to barrel feed geometry and case support in the chamber. The magazines are also slightly different as the FNP-45 mags had feeding problems with certain types of ammo. Other than that, the FNP-45 and FNX-45 are functionally and externally the same. The FNX and FNS series of pistols are made in the USA.

The handgun is a DA/SA semi-automatic with a magazine capacity of 14/15+1. It weighs 33.2oz unloaded. The pistol has ambidextrous magazine releases, slidelock levers, and manual safeties. The pistol is very large, and is comparable in size to my USP9, M9, and SIG 220/226. I'll provide some comparison pics later. I thought the grip would be too large and uncomfortable to manage with my medium-ish size hands, but that turned out to be untrue. The grip is checkered on the sides, has horizontal serrations on the frontstrap. The backstrap is replaceable and comes with flat and arched checkered pieces. I found the arched piece to be more comfortable to use. FN apparently makes 2 more backstraps for the FNX-45 that are the same profile as the flat and arched checkered pieces, but are horizontally serrated like the front strap. My pistol only came with the checkered pieces. Overall, the grip is comfortable and the trigger is easily reach even in DA mode.

The pistol's ambidextrous controls are effective and symmetrical on both sides. The manual safety, in particular, has three positions. The up position puts the pistol on SAFE, the middle position is FIRE, and the down position is the spring loaded decocker. The FNX-45 can safely be carried condition 1 with the hammer cocked and safety on, like a 1911. It can also can be carried with the hammer down and safety off for a DA first trigger press, or it can be carried with the hammer down and safety on. I do have a gripe with the manual safety in that the right side safety interferes with my index finger when I decock the pistol. This forces me to remove my right index finger from the gun to decock the pistol easily.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

The DA trigger press stacks like any handgun with a coiled mainspring, but it is smooth and comparatively light to other modern DA/SA semi-autos. The reset to SA is very positive both audibly and tactilely. The SA press is very light with a minor amount of takeup and relatively crisp break.

In general, I like the stock sights on the pistol. They are of the white 3-dot variety, which I normally dislike. What makes them different from your average 3-dot sights are that the front sight white dot is much larger than the rear sight dots drawing your eyes to focus on the front sight. When not using night sights, I typically like all black sights, a white dot front sight and black rear sight, or gold/brass bead front with black rear sight. The stock sights, however, work ok and I will probably leave them alone.

The pistol is easily field stripped much like any other modern pistol, and the recoil spring is captive. The internal parts are easily accessible for cleaning, and look well made. The slide is also easily detailed stripped, allowing you to clean the firing pin channel and extractor. The frame, however, is difficult to detail strip since it pretty much requires you to break the manual safety to get to the internals. I normally like to be able to detail strip my handguns so I can perform any "armorer" level maintenance that may be required on the pistol. The design feature on the FNX pretty much makes the end user unable to detail strip the frame. Given the fact that the FNX-45 looks well made and the internals are strong, this will likely be a non-issue at least for a long time. That being said, it would have been nice to be able to completely take apart the frame.

image-2.jpg

image-3.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, the magazine capacity is 14+1 with flush fit magazines and 15+1 with the club foot looking magazines shown in my pictures. My pistol came with 3 - 15 round magazines. I've read that the FNP-45's magazines are able to be used in the FNX-45 but not the other way around. Unfortunately, magazines are expensive at $50 a pop as listed on the FNH USA website.

I put 200 rounds of Blazer aluminum cased 230gr FMJ and 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger-T 230gr hollowpoints (RA45T) yesterday without any issues. While this isn't statistically significant, it is a good starting point. The FNX-45 is the softest shooting .45 ACP handgun that I own (5" 1911s, SIG P220, S&W 1917 reproduction, and S&W 325 Thunder Ranch). From what I've read the barrel and slide travel together almost twice as far before unlocking compared to other modern pistols. This feature is what is supposed to reduce the felt recoil.

Overall, the pistol seems solidly built, and it's very shootable despite its caliber and size. I don't own any holsters for it yet, so I can't speak to how it carries OWB or IWB. I will provide an update once I shoot it more and have had the opportunity to carry it. The FNX-45 currently has little aftermarket support. There are holsters and sights available for the FNP-45, which should be compatible with the FNX-45. Other than that, there isn't much else. While sights and holsters are what I really care about, the lack of other aftermarket products will probably turn off prospective purchasers. I hope this changes, because I really like this gun and would like to see it succeed in the market.

Sights

DA/SA trigger

Magazine capacity

Comes with 3 magazines

Shootability

Dislikes:

Unable to detail strip frame

Lack of aftermarket support

Magazine prices

image-5.jpg

Edited by Timbonez
  • Upvote 5

I put another 250 rounds through the FNX-45 for a total of 400 Blazer Aluminum 230gr FMJ and 100 Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP. I did have two stoppages with the Ranger ammo out of a single mag. The nature of both of the stoppages was an incomplete return to battery. Both cartridges fed about halfway into the chamber and then stopped. A light tap or simple push with my index finger on the rear of slide chambered the round. There was some weird recoil characteristics with that box of ammo compared to the previous box I fired a few days ago. I didn't spend too much time evaluating the stoppages, so I don't know the underlying cause. I had no issues with the Blazer. I didn't clean the pistol as I'm looking to fire some more ammo through it soon... and 500 rounds doesn't warrant a cleaning.

I also managed to snap some comparison pics, which I will post tomorrow. I just ordered a kydex holster from KT Mech. It's OWB, but it can be converted to IWB with a change of belt loops. I have no experience with this company, but the price was right ($55 after shipping), 2 week delivery, and they came recommended from FN Forum. I would normally buy a Raven Concealment or JM Custom Kydex, but Raven's lead times are ridiculous and JM doesn't offer an FNP/FNX holster. Expect a brief review on the holster after I've carried it for a while. I may take a look at a Bravo Concealment holster as well.

I am still pleased with the pistol, but I will need to keep an eye on the reliability.

ETA: Brick, yeah that's a lot of .45 ACP but you pay the price with the size of the pistol.

Edited by Timbonez

Looks like Buds LE has the S&W MP-15 OR back in stock...and back down to the pre-scare price of $759. I wonder how many new AR's/AK's were sold since the shooting?...especially when compared to the same time-frame last year?