AK Bayonet

M2

OK, this forum has generated some miracles in the past, so I'll give it a try…

I am looking for a Yugo or East German bayonet for an AK-47 (specifically, an M70AB2). If anyone has any sources or knows of one at a good price, drop me a PM or post here. Not looking for a standard AK bayonet, need one in black (hence the Yugo or East German specification) and in new or near new shape. I'd prefer a Yugo, but I am not choosy if the price is decent.

Cheers! M2

Guest LtLoad
OK, this forum has generated some miracles in the past, so I'll give it a try…

I am looking for a Yugo or East German bayonet for an AK-47 (specifically, an M70AB2). If anyone has any sources or knows of one at a good price, drop me a PM or post here. Not looking for a standard AK bayonet, need one in black (hence the Yugo or East German specification) and in new or near new shape. I'd prefer a Yugo, but I am not choosy if the price is decent.

Cheers! M2

Good luck! Best bet might be a gun show. I know I've seen a fair share of AK Bayonets (black to boot) at shows around here. (TX) Is it a specific model/type or do you just want a black one?

Preferably a black one, as that is the color of the furniture on my Yugo underfold.

SAXET has a show coming up 2-3 June here in San Antonio, I guess that will be my best bet. The monthly shows they had here went TU due to the loss of the venue (Airport Convention Center).

Most on-line sources are ~$50 for Yugos or E. Germans, used to be you could find them for $10-12. Much like 7.62x39 ammo, the price of everything AK-related seems to be going up rapidly...

Cheers! M2

Guest Rainman A-10

They had bayonets for sale everywhere when we first opened Bagram. Do you know anyone deployed over there (Kabul/Bagram) right now that you could ask? Bagram has tightened up but Kabul would surely have places that sell that stuff. I don't think bayonets are against the rules to send back in the mail, but I may be wrong.

But first, get a haircut!

Actually, I have a bud who is a contractor in Kabul at the moment who says he can get them; but he is still hesitant to send one back. I asked both him about finding me a sling and both came back stating anything weapons-related—to include something as simple as a sling—is against regulations. I have a bud in Fallujah who told me the same thing…I think they have been read the riot act about anything weapons-related, and I don't blame my bud in Kabul as he has a good gig and I wouldn't want him to jeopardize anything for something as trivial as a bayonet for an AK.

I am in no rush, I just thought I would ask and I might try MeowMix (thanks HD!).

As for the look, there is a reason for it but discussing it here would violate the rules of the squadron bar…plus it’s not that interesting.

Cheers! M2

Guest Rainman A-10

Roger.

We used to laugh at all the bozos that would come into Bagram, spend less than one hour on the ground, buy a bayonet and a T-shirt (no shit) and leave. I had to meet the GOs that would come in (mostly on C-17s as "augmented crewmembers") and more than one of them said to me "hey,uh, I'm just here to fill the Afghanistan square...where can I get one of those bayonets?" In the early days 90% of the airlift came in at night. The generals would be pissed when I would tell them the kids who sell the bayonets weren't normally around at 0200 but if they could catch a hop during the day next time they might have better luck. A couple of them even tried to give me money to buy one and send it to them.

That "BTDT got the T-shirt (and bayonet)" crap was standard, I shit you not.

A buddy of mine in Iraq was the brigade Provost Marshal. He ran the brigade detention facility where they locked up bad guys before they got sent to on to bigger and better prisons (or let go). He took me to check out the confiscated weapons. Pretty sweet selection of AKs, russian pistols, a german Sig, RPGs, mortar tubes and sights, etc. Probably could have picked up what you were looking for there. Slightly illegal, though. Ok, highly illegal.

Roger.

We used to laugh at all the bozos that would come into Bagram, spend less than one hour on the ground, buy a bayonet and a T-shirt (no shit) and leave. I had to meet the GOs that would come in (mostly on C-17s as "augmented crewmembers") and more than one of them said to me "hey,uh, I'm just here to fill the Afghanistan square...where can I get one of those bayonets?" In the early days 90% of the airlift came in at night. The generals would be pissed when I would tell them the kids who sell the bayonets weren't normally around at 0200 but if they could catch a hop during the day next time they might have better luck. A couple of them even tried to give me money to buy one and send it to them.

That "BTDT got the T-shirt (and bayonet)" crap was standard, I shit you not.

That is so funny and true. Excpet in my former life, the BTDT t-shirt was to send as many people on a Tailswap into the Tax free zone. Makes a TDY that should only have 12 people on it interesting when it all the sudden becomes a 35 person TDY with triple coverage every crew position.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got one (a Bulgarian AK-74 bayonet for my Yugo M70AB2), and it works great!

th_BulgarianbayonetonYugoM70AB27.jpg th_BulgarianbayonetonYugoM70AB210.jpg

(Clicky on pics for man-sized version!)

Now to take care of that pesky squirrel problem!

Cheers! M2

So, is the furniture normal wood stained/painted black, or is it composites/plastics instead of wood?

Synthetic polymer...

Cheers! M2

Just a fancy term for plastic, and it really doesn't do much weight-wise as the Yugos are built with the heavier and thicker receivers therefore any savings in the furniture would be negated. But compared to the Chinese Norinco AKM I am "gunsitting" for a bud in Iraq, it weighs about the same.

Yugos are starting to run in short supply with the threat of HR 1022 IH, another Clinton-esque assault rifle ban, people are scrambling to snatch them up. I paid about $600 with taxes a few months back. I am going to the local gun show this weekend, I will see if what the current prices are for them, if anyone even has them.

I noticed the Romanian WASR-10s--probably the cheapest and most common AKs in the States--have also jumped up in price from about $300-350 to $400-450 locally, and 7.62x39 ammo has most definitely gone up thanks to Iraq and Hugo Chavez (:flipoff:); so if you are interested I would grab one quickly as even if the 2007 ban doesn't come about, they are still going to only increase in value.

Cheers! M2

Guest Jimmy

Polish-M44.jpg

I prefer a little more old school style. 7.62x54R is a lot of fun to shoot, but with a tiny carbine like this, it tends to leave you with a blue and black shoulder after a couple dozen rounds, especially with 180 gr machine gun rounds. But the enormous fireballs coming out of the muzzle alone are amazing.

I was thinking about getting an AK though, so I better get on that before they cost more than they're worth...