Cell Phone Contracts?

Wolf424

A friend asked me a good question today that I didn't know the answer to. If you PCS to another part of the country and your cell phone doesn't have service there, do cell phone companies let you out of your contract? I figured this has had to happen to someone before. I would think they wouldn't, but I thought I would ask.

Guest tapeworm

My experience has been yes (with both Verizon and Cingular). Verizon didn't ask any questions. Cingular gave me trouble but eventually gave in. Their reasoning was that they offered service in my new area. Cingular worked almost everywhere, but not in the new house - so I was persistent and they let me out of the contract.

Identical experience here with Verizon and Cingular. Cingular's just a little more hardass about it. Usually the words "military", "forced to move" and "no service" get things moving, but you can also say "Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act" which should really get their attention.

I had an outstanding experience with T-Mobile. After they determined that I couldn't reach any T-Mobile towers from my house, they were nice enough to give me the unlock code to my phone so I could get Cingular GSM service without having to get a phone and a contract (therefore allowing me to jump back to T-Mobile after my TDY).

Verizon was actually a huge PITA for me...they fought tooth and nail for about 6-9 calls before finally giving in. And even then still sent me a 300 bucks cancellation statement in the mail, leading to another 2 calls to get it fixed. But yes, cellphone companies HAVE TO let you out of your service contract if you can't get service in your new area...and that's a general law, applicable to everyone, not just military. It's also a law that they have to release your phone number...i.e. if you switch services and want to keep your verizon number but on a Tmobile account. It's called "porting," so bring that up if/when this situation comes up.

I started to type a long-winded reply about how bad Sprint sucked at life when I tried to cancel my service during my PCS move to Yokota, but I started getting too pissed so I just deleted it all.

Moral of the story: Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your account is cancelled. After receiving TWO more monthly bills after my account had supposedly been cancelled (after 4 separate phone calls), I finally had to say it in this way to the "customer service" rep that was fortunate enough to get me on the phone for my fifth attempt.

"NO. I do not want to keep my account on "hold", or keep one of the lines open. I want it closed. Cancelled. Just like I did eight weeks ago when one of your associates told me that it was closed. If my account had a plug, I would want it pulled. If it was dying, I would want the ventilator to be removed with no CPR administered. Do you understand? Can I be any more clear about this?"

As far as assuring that your account is actually closed.... I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a signed-in-blood, notarized letter from the provider saying in no uncertain terms that your account is closed with a zero balance. Because a customer service rep saying/typing that your account is closed apparantly does not mean that it is so.

Take that for what it's worth.

Edit: FWIW, the aforementioned provider was Sprint. I switched from Verizon in 04 and had absolutely no problems, though.

I had the same problem with Sprint. When I deployed a few years ago, I called them and told them I wanted my account put on hold or whatever the term was back then. All was "good" until about halfway through the deployment I found out I had a $200 bill (btw, you couldn't get in contact with Sprint from outside the US back then). When I got back to the states, I placed a call to them explaining what the deal was...45 minutes later (they did not want to let this go), my account is closed and I'm paying them 20 bucks.

Moral of the story, I would get something in writing if possible and try not to talk to the CSRs if at all possible!!

I had the same problem with Sprint. When I deployed a few years ago, I called them and told them I wanted my account put on hold or whatever the term was back then. All was "good" until about halfway through the deployment I found out I had a $200 bill (btw, you couldn't get in contact with Sprint from outside the US back then). When I got back to the states, I placed a call to them explaining what the deal was...45 minutes later (they did not want to let this go), my account is closed and I'm paying them 20 bucks.

Moral of the story, I would get something in writing if possible and try not to talk to the CSRs if at all possible!!

Thanks for the help, it would figure that I have sprint though...

• 1 year later...

Anyone here have any recent experience with cancelling a Cingular account that is still under contract because you're PCSing overseas? I'm looking to pick up an iPhone back in the States because they cost 500Euro (about $730 given the current crappy exchange rate) over here. I'll be back in the states for a little over a month (we've already PCSed) and I'd pick up the phone then, use it for the month or two that we're back in the States (about $730 given the current crappy exchange rate) and then cancel the contract when we go back to Europe. Any idea if this is possible, or does anyone else have a better idea?

Anyone here have any recent experience with cancelling a Cingular account that is still under contract because you're PCSing overseas? I'm looking to pick up an iPhone back in the States because they cost 500Euro (about $730 given the current crappy exchange rate) over here. I'll be back in the states for a little over a month (we've already PCSed) and I'd pick up the phone then, use it for the month or two that we're back in the States (about $730 given the current crappy exchange rate) and then cancel the contract when we go back to Europe. Any idea if this is possible, or does anyone else have a better idea?

When I read your post I thought you were playing repeat from Super Troopers.....

Anyways,

I used to work for Cingular (back before and immediately after they purchased ATT Wireless), and although it would probably work, it is kind of a jacked up way to do things. I would say you are better off jumping on ebay and buying a "jailbroken" ( :rainbow: terms from apple homos) phone. Then of course, while I'm making suggestions, I would suggest not even buying an iphone anyway (just personal opinion, I think they are gay).

Edited for too many rainbows, made my post look bad.

Edited by DFRESH

I figured I would get some smack talk for hating on the iphone. It's just too simple for me. I know that sounds bass ackwards, but I've used windows mobile since early 06, and I just prefer the flexibility. The big deal with Windows Mobile is that you have to be smarter than your phone. For that reason, a ton of people choose iphones. I'm not saying they're dumb. A lot of people just don't have the time to dig into the windows mobile software to really use it to its full potential.

Is there anyway/anywhere to purchase them besides off of eBay then? I called an AT&T store before we left the States and they wouldn't sell me a phone without a contract...otherwise, I'd just go that route. I don't mind paying for the phone, but I'm not going to pay for it over here unless mother blue starts paying me in Euros.

well, there's all kinds of options, but they are all going to be expensive because they're not "on-contract" pricing. The reason stores can sell the phones for so cheap is because the phone company knows they get to :bohica: the money back out of you for the next two years, so the phone company sends a kickback to the store (I used to get some pretty nice kickback checks). Some of the options include:

Newegg

Amazon

Wirefly

but again, you're paying full price basically.

Beyond that, you're gonna want something unlocked anyways, so that you can use it over there without getting sand for lube when they're boning the money out of you.

• 4 years later...

Anyone have experience with cell phone plan commitments? I have AT&T, and don't want to fork over more $ then I have to while I am gone for 6 months. However, my crazy wife feels like she would still like to use her phone (family plan)... Website says they will do it (call it a military suspend), but was curious if the juice has been worth the squeeze for folks. The 1 downside is that I would be eligible for a new phone when I return had I not suspended it... I doubt that is worth the extra $ each month, but maybe. I also plan on taking my phone with me to use the wifi for web and apps, any downside? Thanks!

Anyone have experience with cell phone plan commitments? I have AT&T, and don't want to fork over more $ then I have to while I am gone for 6 months. However, my crazy wife feels like she would still like to use her phone (family plan)... Website says they will do it (call it a military suspend), but was curious if the juice has been worth the squeeze for folks. The 1 downside is that I would be eligible for a new phone when I return had I not suspended it... I doubt that is worth the extra $ each month, but maybe. I also plan on taking my phone with me to use the wifi for web and apps, any downside? Thanks!

I've done this once or twice. It's not hard - you just need to fax in your orders. You can either suspend your account or terminate it completely. If you have an iPhone tell them you need it unlocked so you can "use it" in theater. Then when you get back you can sell your factory unlocked phone on eBay or use it with another carrier etc... if you so choose. There is absolutely no reason to keep service on your line for six months as this entire process takes maybe 30 minutes. I am not sure, but I don't think deployments affect your upgrade eligibility. I.e. two years is two years.

Hope that helps.

They don't even ask for your orders anymore. You just have to tell them why you need to cancel your service. You need to say something like "I am going to Korea for a year" or "I will be in Afghanistan for a deployment". You have to go somewhere that doesn't have AT&T. They try to push the suspended account option on you but you just have to tell them you want to cancel your service. The only downside with this, you can't keep your number.

They don't even ask for your orders anymore. You just have to tell them why you need to cancel your service. You need to say something like "I am going to Korea for a year" or "I will be in Afghanistan for a deployment". You have to go somewhere that doesn't have AT&T. They try to push the suspended account option on you but you just have to tell them you want to cancel your service. The only downside with this, you can't keep your number.

I just did this recently and all you do is suspend your account, you have 39 months to reactivate and keep your number. After 39 months you can still reactivate but you just lose your number. Even if there's no phone service your wifi will work perfectly (it's basically an iPod touch now) they don't have to do anything special to it. Super easy, there's no reason to pay a phone bill while you're gone

• Upvote 1

I suspended service with Verizon during my last deployment. Called a week before I left, told them the date I wanted it suspended, and then told them the day I wanted it reactivated (I gave them a date a few days prior to my return) and it worked with no problems.

I've suspended service with AT&T several times (deployments, OCONUS PCS) with no issues. And yes, definitely request them to unlock your phone before you deploy, then you can pop local SIM cards in from downrange, and that can become your international phone for travel.

The downside is that in a year when you reactivate your number you will have an old phone and your upgrade date is still however many months away it was when you suspended the account. If you cancel your account you can get a new phone with your new account but you have to get a new number.