Military in Uniform at Airport

M2

In the Navy when we pulling into port somewhere in CONUS (Fleet Week, etc) we usually have to wear uniforms. In the summer, that means whites....

When you go out drinking in whites, you can just figure on writing them off from future use.

However, in some cities, especially Boston and New York, you go out into town in a Navy uniform and you pretty much can't buy a beer!!

I have one question, if the Air Force started requiring you to wear you unis on commercial air, would you have to wear the reflective belt as well???

I have one question, if the Air Force started requiring you to wear you unis on commercial air, would you have to wear the reflective belt as well???

Depends. Does someone need an OPR bullet? If so, then see it in an AFI coming to you soon...

Depends. Does someone need an OPR bullet? If so, then see it in an AFI coming to you soon...

Only if that flight occurs during the hours of darkness or during periods of reduced visibility.

Only if that flight occurs during the hours of darkness or during periods of reduced visibility.

Oh crud, I'm gonna have to start checking the NOTAMs before commercial flights. At what RVR do RBs become mandatory? Departure or landing airfield?

Oh crud, I'm gonna have to start checking the NOTAMs before commercial flights. At what RVR do RBs become mandatory? Departure or landing airfield?

Guessing that RVR whould be set in accordance with the airframe that you fly. Check your 11-2-XXX for your regs.

Then you are going to have to consider letting all AF personnel on the plane know ("Captain, I'm sorry, we can't leave. There's a General in the back that refuses to wear a reflective belt...").

"Dress to egress" comes to mind as well, which dictates everyone wearing a flightsuit on airlines...

This is a bad idea that can only lead to worse ideas...

I saw an enlisted satellite operator from Schriever wearing his flightsuit in the Colorado Springs airport when I was heading home for Thanksgiving. In addition he was carrying his leather jacket in hand (at least he wasn't wearing that too, I guess). I wanted to go and have a talk with him but he was boarding his plane when I noticed it.

I'm already embarrassed enough that they issue us flightsuits and leather jackets...ugh.

Edited by Gravedigger

I saw an enlisted satellite operator from Schriever wearing his flightsuit in the Colorado Springs airport when I was heading home for Thanksgiving. In addition he was carrying his leather jacket in hand (at least he wasn't wearing that too, I guess). I wanted to go and have a talk with him but he was boarding his plane when I noticed it.

I'm already embarrassed enough that they issue us flightsuits and leather jackets...ugh.

I'm not embarrassed that they issue us flightsuits and leather jackets, certainly easier to jump in and out of in the morning than ABUs. But I did mention at the last all hands call that if space is issued flightsuits, why not issue them to finance? What if the computer/printer catches on fire?

As a Marine, we couldn't go out in town in cammies (BDUs) at all. You could stop for gas or pick up chow to go, but running errands out in town in BDUs was a no no. And we certainly wouldn't travel in them either.

Recently, I was at Denver International and a large contingent of military folks in uniform were going through screening. As I watched them wrestle their boots off to put them through the x-ray machine, I got really pissed off. I started to bitch out the TSA screeners. It escalated enough that eventually the TSA supervisor got involved.

A couple of things here; first, I know that the screeners were just following policy set by folks way above their pay grade. With that being said, my goal was to get at the supervisor and make him have a bad day, with the larger goal of hoping that he would run it up the flag pole at a weekly staff meeting. Hopefully, if they see a nationwide trend, maybe we could see a policy change (naive, I know).

As I understand it, flight crew (I'm talking civ airline here) in uniform do not have to remove shoes and can take liquids through the check points. While I have a great respect for the skill it takes to fly and also respect the responsibility shouldered by airline pilots, I have a lot more respect for our guys ducking bullets for our freedom. If we can let airline flight crew go through, we damn sure can let military guys/girls in uniform exercise the same deal.

Hope you all are having a great holiday. :beer:

Not saying I completely disagree without you just playing a little devil's advocate. Now I hope to think that everyone in uniform can be trusted but as we just saw at Ft Hood that's not always the case. When I'm a passenger on an airline I don't want anyone to be exempted from full screening just because of who they are/appear to be. Now before you cite the pilots going through more "lax" security, I can assure you a pilot doesn't need fancy gadgets to do the unthinkable. Ok back to my eggnog and brandy...Merry Xmas!

Not saying I completely disagree without you just playing a little devil's advocate. Now I hope to think that everyone in uniform can be trusted but as we just saw at Ft Hood that's not always the case. When I'm a passenger on an airline I don't want anyone to be exempted from full screening just because of who they are/appear to be. Now before you cite the pilots going through more "lax" security, I can assure you a pilot doesn't need fancy gadgets to do the unthinkable. Ok back to my eggnog and brandy...Merry Xmas!

I thought about that too. But, that radical from Texas could have easily been an airline pilot from anytown USA. And citing your logic, the pilots should go through full screening as well (not throwing spears, I'm just sayin'). Additionally, the tower controllers at DIA go through full screening everyday too (stupid). That's another group that wouldn't need fancy gadgets either.

Rewind back to the days/months after 9/11 when lots of airports had Guardsmen activated for airport security, would we make these guys take off their boots? I know that's a sarcastic statement, but it has some merit. My reaction to TSA was more overall frustration at a lack of common sense. Unfortunately, that seems like TSA company policy.

My bottom line on this thread; Military in Uniform at Airport = No reason they shouldn't be afforded same, if not better rights than airline flight crew.

My bottom line on this thread; Military in Uniform at Airport = No reason they shouldn't be afforded same, if not better rights than airline flight crew.

Actually, we are: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1880.shtm

Military personnel in uniform, with a valid military ID are not required to remove their footwear unless it alarms the walk through metal detector

Now, I've no doubt you saw what you saw at Denver Int'l--but that's a case of the local TSA inspectors not knowing/following their own guidance.

My own take on the sheer silliness of a "universal" policy got expanded several notches on the way to my current deployment. The pax terminal at Ramstein takes the pax screening stuff pretty seriously (which, I guess, would make sense for an aircraft bound for a civilian airport and debarking behind the security line, e.g. BWI)--we went through the full "empty your pockets" routine & got wanded anyway because of the 427 zippers on a flight suit. (Mil in uniform got to keep their boots on.) No sooner were we through security than those hand-carrying weapons into theater were handed back their weapons and ammo. Good thing they took my shampoo away!! :banghead:

Anybody can easily get a military uniform. I could easily go to a milsurp store and bam, I'm SPC Snuffy. So, I have no problem with TSA doing the same process for those in uniform. Not to mention even I could probably counterfeit a mil ID well enough to pass the "don't have to take off your boots" thing.

Anybody can easily get a military uniform. I could easily go to a milsurp store and bam, I'm SPC Snuffy. So, I have no problem with TSA doing the same process for those in uniform. Not to mention even I could probably counterfeit a mil ID well enough to pass the "don't have to take off your boots" thing.

Same same w/ a pilot uniform and ID but TSA assumes that risk. I just think it should be the same. Apparently the TSA adopted the "you don't have to remove your boots" policy. That's nice to know.

Obviously we'll never have a system in place that can mitigate all security risks. The situation that set me off was seeing a screener tell a service member that he needs to take off his boots (in kind of a smug way), when that same service memeber is the very person that is protecting this loser's freedom which allows him to run home after a "really hard" shift at DIA and duck fake bullets playing "battle field 2" on F#$%ing playstation. I couldn't help it, it pissed me off.

Edited by Intact

I was at the mall on XMas Eve and saw a dude walking around in ACUs doing his Xmas shopping.

I was really tempted to stop him and ask him WTF he thought he was doing.

I was at the mall on XMas Eve and saw a dude walking around in ACUs doing his Xmas shopping.

He was shopping for attention and compliments. Duh :P

Edited by Infamous

I was rocking the flight suit in local shopping stores on Christmas Eve and I would have told your to take a flying leap if you asked me WTF I thought I was doing. Some of us worked a half-day on Christmas Eve and then finished up last minute shopping. Don't assume you know his situation.

I was rocking the flight suit in local shopping stores on Christmas Eve and I would have told your to take a flying leap if you asked me WTF I thought I was doing. Some of us worked a half-day on Christmas Eve and then finished up last minute shopping. Don't assume you know his situation.

2. I've rolled into Wal-Mart wearing the DFDU on the way home after a 24 hour duty day/10 day trip and would have been real pleased if someone came up to me and asked WTF.

2. I've rolled into Wal-Mart wearing the DFDU on the way home after a 24 hour duty day/10 day trip and would have been real pleased if someone came up to me and asked WTF.

Had to drop by the local 'Practiker' here in Germania on my way home the other day. German's stare enough as it is...ten times worse when you are in a bag.

Agreed, I worked a full day Christmas Eve and then had to pick my folks up at the airport and they wanted to stop at stores on the way home; had you stopped me and said some shit I may have soiled the holiday spirit. My experience is 0-1s and E-1s may go places dressed in their uniform to look cool, but anyone with any TIS wears it in public when changing after work is too inconvienent. You know what they say about assumptions.

Guest WildBill

I didn't feel the need to read the last 4 pages, but I did read the first one. You all do realize that the reason you see Soldiers in uniform at ATL all the time is because they are returning to, or coming from, OIF or OEF. ATL and DFW are entry points for troops coming from OIF or OEF on R&R because their deployments are substantially longer than the 120 days my buddies in the guard complain about. They aren't wearing their uniform because they are cool, they are wearing it because probably 24 hours prior to you seeing them, they were boots on the ground in a combat zone.

Guest Scooby

Feel free to bring a change of clothes to work if you know that you're going to be doing extended periods of shopping after work.

I think the reg is pretty clear on this one.

edit: I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board has been in similar situations before. Doesn't mean we can just do w/e the hell we feel like.

Edited by Scooby
  • Downvote 2

Guest Alarm Red

Feel free to bring a change of clothes to work if you know that you're going to be doing extended periods of shopping after work.

edit: I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board has been in similar situations before. Doesn't mean we can just do w/e the hell we feel like.

I see a Tops In Blue tryout in your future. Maybe wing exec at al Udeid to follow.

• Upvote 1

You're an idiot...especially if you were thinking about challenging someone as to why they were shopping in uniform!

I gotta wonder what reg your reading.

According to the AFI 36-29-Eat-a-d!ck,"3.2.1.3. The FDU may be worn off base under the same guidelines as the Battle Dress Uniform

(BDU)." Ok, so what ar the BDU or ABU off base guideline? Lets look that up, shall we?

post-4501-126248235171_thumb.jpg

I underlined the appropriate statement that clearly allows for the wear of BDU'd and hence a flight suit to a mall. Local guidance my be different but don't confuse us with the Navy.