Military in Uniform at Airport

M2

I am sitting in Atlanta-Hartsfield during a six-hour layover, and I am amazed at all the Army bubbas running around here in their ACUs. There has to be at least a dozen of them in the food court where I am sitting.

I know the USAF policy was blues-only if flying commercially, with exceptions of course. But if I had to guess I would say the Army seems to be encouraging its troops to travel on commercial air in ACUs. Is this the result of yet another clever Army recruiting campaign? Or is the Army so anal that it doesn’t allow its troops one set of civilian clothes to wear while traveling on commercial flights? To be honest, it reeks of that beer commercial a while back, where everyone in the airport terminal starts clapping when some troops walk through it…

Well, back to my $4 cup of coffee!

Cheers! M2

We all know soldiers don't wear anything but their uniform (ie. all the people in the PX, at McDonalds, etc wearing PT gear on the weekend).

Seriously though... I've noticed this too. It may have to do with guys flying to/from a deployment. I know at BWI and CLT there are 2-3 rotators a week. But who knows... it is the Army.

I may have you beat.. I was watching the De La Hoya v Mayweather fight last night, at Winghouse (a sot of Hooters knock-off but better food) and I saw 3 guys in army ACU's, The place was a good 40 minute drive from Macdill and it was at around 10, so I wwouldn't venture to guess he had just gotten off work and drove straight there, of course its a possibility

Edited by Bishop

The're probably all business travelers who bought some DCU's on e-Bay. They've figured out that if you're wearing a uniform, most airlines will upgrade you to first class if they have open seats.

I've flown into/out of DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) where the rotators come into, and I've seen all branches in their ABUs/DCUs flying through the airport.

Since it is Sunday I would bet the trooper you saw was either guard or reserve.

Prior to 9-11 the Army policy was that no one travels in uniform. After 9-11 when there was a huge outcry for security personnel on aircraft, someone decided it made the public feel comfortable to get on a airplane and see the Joes in uniform. Now I think it is part public relations part recruiting.

It's not just people going to CENTCOM but troopers going to schools and CONUS TDYs. I travel weekly and I see them every time I fly.

I not sure what the Marines rules are but I see them in their BDUs also.

Dude, it's the ARMY. They wear their uniforms EVERYWHERE. :flipoff:

And no, I don't think they bring civvies. They're deploying for a year, and have to be able to carry most if not all of their crap on their backs...would you bring civvies, if you'd only get to wear them twice over a year to year and a half period?

Since it is Sunday I would bet the trooper you saw was either guard or reserve.

Prior to 9-11 the Army policy was that no one travels in uniform. After 9-11 when there was a huge outcry for security personnel on aircraft, someone decided it made the public feel comfortable to get on a airplane and see the Joes in uniform. Now I think it is part public relations part recruiting.

It's not just people going to CENTCOM but troopers going to schools and CONUS TDYs. I travel weekly and I see them every time I fly.

I not sure what the Marines rules are but I see them in their BDUs also.

I've been traveling alot lately an have seen lots of army guys in every airport in ACU's traveling. Never any other branch. I've also seen them in ACU's at civilian medical meetings where guys from other branches are at least in short sleeve blues or Khaki's for Navy, if not Class "A"'s and civilians are in coat and tie. Dunno what that's about.

I saw a marine in his dress choker black uniform (think they call them blues) at a bar/club last night in Texas. Obviously he thought it was a cool idea to go out to a bar in his dress uniform...b/c the chick he was with was just wearing jeans, so it's not like they came from something formal. And he obviously didn't just get off work or something. This was also at 130 am. WTFO on that one.

Guest Boom
I saw a marine in his dress choker black uniform (think they call them blues) at a bar/club last night in Texas. Obviously he thought it was a cool idea to go out to a bar in his dress uniform...b/c the chick he was with was just wearing jeans, so it's not like they came from something formal. And he obviously didn't just get off work or something. This was also at 130 am. WTFO on that one.

New guy out of boot camp trying to get some tail and impress people (and knowing that he's states away from the nearest Marine base so the odds of him being chewed out were slim).

He was a 2 stripe...whatever that is in the marines. So yeah younger, but he had enough ribbons and shit that I'm pretty sure he was further than just out of basic. He just didn't have that "new guy" look. Seemed like maybe he's been in 1.5 yrs, went and did 6 months in Iraq and now is billy badass. At least that's my guess. Either way, what a tool.

The're probably all business travelers who bought some DCU's on e-Bay. They've figured out that if you're wearing a uniform, most airlines will upgrade you to first class if they have open seats.

If you are in uniform, ethics rules forbid you to accept upgrades to first-class due to the public perception problem. They don't want the public to think that the military is paying for that ticket. You can see the 20/20 and 60 minutes shows that will come from that.

Anyway, the reason those dudes are walking around in ACUs is that they are traveling to/from the AOR. They aren't authorized any civilian clothes in the AOR. At least that's the collective wisdom of the Army dudes in my office.

...went and did 6 months in Iraq and now is billy badass. At least that's my guess. Either way, what a tool.

A marine who does 6 months in Iraq IS Billy Badass. Well deserved too, no pilot trainee holds a light up to him

Edited by Stiffler

The Marines and Navy have different rules, i.e. i know in some cases they are allowed to wear their dress uniforms out. I doubt sincerely that this guy fell under one of those catergories, but you never know. I usually just ask him why he is in uniform if its 130am...unless he's just minding his business.

I cant say I havent found a quiet bar after a flight and had a beer with a buddy with the flight suit still on. But I made damn sure it was a slow night.

Edited by Stiffler

Guest Rainman A-10
He just didn't have that "new guy" look. Seemed like maybe he's been in 1.5 yrs, went and did 6 months in Iraq and now is billy badass. At least that's my guess. Either way, what a tool.

So what, exactly, is your hard on with this guy?

He's wearing his uniform in a bar. He's in a different service. I don't know the rules for Marines wearing their Class A uniforms but I do know that I have seen them wear them often. I also know that if they are wearing them wrong or if they are acting like idiots they are likely to be corrected by another Marine, even if that Marine has been out of the service for 20 years. Marines have pride in their service that they wear proudly on their sleeve for life. Every single marine knows the history of their service, something very few Airmen can say. I think that is awesome.

As for your comment about "went and did six months in Iraq and now is billy badass" all I can say is it WTFO?

Why do you think it is appropriate for you to talk shit about anyone that has been on the ground in Iraq? I would think you would be prepared to give him his props instead of give him a bunch of shit on an internet message board. Maybe you should've walked up and told him you used to be a cop and now you're learning to be a pilot and that you think, but don't know, that he was considering himself billy badass because he had been on the ground in Iraq and you had a problem with that.

That ain't right.

I saw a marine in his dress choker black uniform (think they call them blues) at a bar/club last night in Texas. WTFO on that one.

Marines are allowed to wear their class A and B while out boozeing. However, they are not allowed to even stop at a bank while wearing BDUs or bags. Go figure.

HD

So what, exactly, is your hard on with this guy?

Alright, so what I said came off a little wrong. You and Stiffler are correct...he deserves a lot of respect for what he does/has done. I'm not arguing against that. I'm not saying I'm better than him...he's most likely done far more than I have (I only assumed he had been to Iraq b/c he had more ribbons and shit then I would expect a guy out of basic to have). I'm sure he's a good guy and obviously a great American. However, none of that makes me change my mind that putting on your "most dressed up" uniform solely to go out to a club at 130-300 is a "cool idea." I just think a bar/club in THIS situation is not the right place to be putting on your dress uniform.

Stopping for beer after work, no problem. Going to something formal and you want to wear your dress uniform instead of a suit/tux, that's totally fine. Throwing on your dress uniform to go to a college bar/club...gay. It doesn't change the fact that he's probably done a lot of good things for this country, but that doesn't mean he's superman and doesn't do something retarded on occasion. Everyone's entitled to low SA situations...the post was more of just wondering how much others have seen this type of thing.

I hear lots of folks saying "Well the Army/Marines are different. True. However, the AF is allowed to go out and booze up in blues whenever/wherever they want. Now, they are not allowed to "bring discredit to the AF"; and in BDUs, they are not allowed to go to a place that PRIMARILY serves alcohol. But TGI Friday's and a couple of beers...BDU away if you are into that kinda thing.

Now do most AF people ever really do that...nope, it is just not in our culture. The other services have that type of esprit de corps about their service.

I just wanted to note that the differences (in reference to bar wear) are more service specific folkways, not regs.

Back to M2's orginal post...Whats the problem with allowing troops to travel in their ACUs/BDUs? As long as they are "clean and serviceable", who fvcking cares? The troops get to travel in a comfortable uniform, the public gets a warm fuzzy from seeing them at the airport, everybody wins. It would seem that someone in the Army actually used some common sense, a leadership trait rarely seen in today's AF.

The boom formerly known as HUMPS

Guest Brewdog

Here AF leadership actually briefs their troops to wear their cammies all the way home and tell their stories about this place. Granted most folks still will probably change at their first opportunity and I can't say I blame them.

Guest Rainman A-10
I'm not saying I'm better than him...he's most likely done far more than I have (I only assumed he had been to Iraq b/c he had more ribbons and shit then I would expect a guy out of basic to have). I'm sure he's a good guy and obviously a great American.

Just curious, why didn't you talk to him?

You might be surprised how spending a few minutes talking to young enlisted troops who are on their way over or just recently returned can give you a great perspective on the war and our role as a service to support those guys.

This guy was proud enough of his service to wear his uniform. I think that is pretty cool.

You don't know if he was just back that day, glad to be alive, being treated to a night on the town by his friends and family or if he was, in your words, just "gay' or "a tool."

I had an airline flight cnx recently on a business trip and I strolled into the Armed Forces Service Center at the Minneapolis airport while I waited for my next flight. I had no idea the place existed. It was great. They had sodas and stuff to make sandwiches and bunks and a shower and a bunch of comfortable chairs for people to sit and watch a big screen TV. Very simple and very cool. The volunteers mentioned that the place was set up for Active Duty folks when I walked in but as a retiree I was OK to sit for a bit but would have to leave if the place got crowded. They were nice but firm, saying some retirees in the past had taken advantage of the place. I told them I understood and I wasn't looking to get anything for free.

There was no one in there and one of the volunteers struck up a conversation. He was a Marine Vietnam vet and we had a great conversation. Another volunteer came up and joined the conversation. This guy had flown B-17s in WWII. I was having a great time and the guys asked me if I would be interested in volunteering and I said yes.

In the blink of an eye five different young guys came into the place. They were looking at the patch collection and talking about where they were going. A couple were on leave prior to deploying and the others were on their mid-tour leave. Then a kid came in with his mother and several folks from the VA. He was in a wheelchair and was missing both legs. Everyone shut up while the kid, his mom and the VA folks talked about the plans for dinner and where they were going to stay and the logistics of getting back to the airport at 0500 for their connecting flight. The other young kids were looking reality right in the kisser and they looked terrified. After a bit, everyone started talking and the kid in the wheelchair shared his story. He was very upbeat at first but at one point his expression changed and he said "I wasn't supposed to get hurt." You had to be there but it was a very important perspective gaining moment for everyone present. I'm sure those other young troops will never forget it. I know I won't.

I was reminded that we are all on the same team in combat. I spent a career dedicated to helping others in need, either as a rescue pilot or as an Attack/CAS/CSAR pilot. There is no mission more important than helping a fellow airman on the ground in indian country or helping a scared shitless 18 year old American with an M-16. I learned that from people my senior who had BTDT as Jolly/Sandy/Hobo/Jug pilots in previous fights. I also recently learned that from a 19 year old kid returning from Iraq without his legs when I felt guilty for enjoying my retirement on my hobby farm and driving a Lexus to a cush 9-5 job everyday...with both my legs. I was not there when this kid needed me and that bothered me. It doesn't matter that there was nothing I could've done to prevent what happened to him. I still felt sad and guilty. The same sadness and guilt I feel when I watch the news or read the paper and hear about what the guys are going through in Afghanistan and Iraq everyday. I try to talk to every troop I meet and say thanks for doing what they do.

Anyway, next time you are annoyed by some guy wearing his uniform in a bar it might be worth it to buy him a drink and strike up a conversation before you tag him as "gay" or "a tool."

Or not.

Technique only.

True words Rainman...maybe I was just too tired when I wrote that, or just one of those nights where I wasn't thinking. Shit, he could've been a recruiter for all I know and that's why he was wearing his uniform. Either way, I stand corrected...next time I'll just ask the guy and have a drink.

He was a 2 stripe...whatever that is in the marines.
That's a Corporal in the Marines; the first of the NCO ranks; paygrade E-4.

I also know that if they are wearing them wrong or if they are acting like idiots they are likely to be corrected by another Marine, even if that Marine has been out of the service for 20 years. Marines have pride in their service that they wear proudly on their sleeve for life. Every single marine knows the history of their service, something very few Airmen can say. I think that is awesome.
Thanks, Rainman.

Marines are allowed to wear their class A and B while out boozeing. However, they are not allowed to even stop at a bank while wearing BDUs or bags. Go figure.
Minor point: Marines in Utilities (we/they dont have "BDUs") or flightsuits are permitted to make "brief, essential stops off-base". That's by Marine Corps Order (USMC's version of AFI's)... but local commands can always make the regs more strict.

[sarcasm]

And now, it's time for some Joint Service training! :bash:

[/sarcasm]

1. The Marine Corps does not have a "Class A" or "Class B" uniform.

2. The green coat and trousers, with khaki long-sleeve shirt & tie (Jack Nicholson's uniform in court during A Few Good Men) is called the "Service Alpha" uniform. Take the coat off, and it's the "Service Bravo". Green trousers and the short-sleeve khaki shirt is the "Service Charlie". All 3 are authorized for wear during leave/liberty.

3. The dark-blue high-necked coat with blue trousers is the famous "Dress Blue" uniform. "Dress Blue Alpha" is with fullsize medals, "Dress Blue Bravo" is with ribbons & badges. "Dress Blue Charlie" and "Delta" is what you normally see Marine recruiters wearing - Charlie is the long-sleeve khaki shirt & tie, Delta is the short-sleeve khaki shirt. Bravo, Charlie, and Delta are authorized for wear during leave/liberty; Alpha is not.