AFOQT details

Guest iloveflying333

Guest iloveflying333

Well, I took the new AFOQT today for the first time and I'm not too happy. I didn't really study for it, as this is the middle of my final exam week, but it was harder than I had thought. The only studying I did was 2 nights b4 the test. I looked over the math sections and got comfortable with the instrument comp. I also did a complete run-thru of the exam in the ARCO book and worked a little with the block counting and the tables section. I reviewed the hidden figures and rotated blocks a little, but just kinda figured I'd take my chances since there didnt seem much I could do to improve. I felt pretty confident on all the other sections.

Things went pretty similar to how I studied, which probably serves me right. I guessed a lot on the arithmetic, but i think i did OK on the general math knowledge, or at least better than the arithmetic section. I was very happy to see that the planes in the inst. comp were much easier to distinguish than those in the ARCO book, but I hope i didn't mess up since I was def. rushing to finish. The hidden figures were not nearly as "busy" as those in the ARCO book, and although I know i missed some, I felt I could see more on the test than I could when studying in the ARCO. Gen. science, Aviation info, and both english sections all went well and I found them to be easy. The aviation info. section is a joke if you have your PPL. A couple of the word definitions were in the ARCO book, so that was nice. I'm most upset about the rotated blocks, block counting and the tables and graphs sections. I had to guess on a decent amount of the rotated blocks and I was only able to finish about half of the block counting section (left the last page blank) and 3/4 of the tables section. Dont bother studying anything except the XY graphs.

As soon as I got home, I opened the ARCO and circled the math questions that had concepts in them that I thought had been covered on the test, so maybe I'll be able study better next time. There was a lot of percentage/ratio questions and some decent algebra. Anyway, is my score going to be as messed up as I think it is from not finishing those few sections and probably butchering the arithmetic? I'm glad I finally took it and have an idea of what to expect, i'm just annoyed about a few sections. The more I think about the test, the more I think I guessed wayy too much and just generally ######ed up. Anyone else feel this way after the test, but ended up doing ok? Anyone else not finish a few sections? At the end of the exam, I just christmas treed the answers i didn't get to by choosing random letters. Should I have just done one letter like "B" all the way down or just randomly filled in answers? I couldn't decide, but in retrospect, I wish I'd done one letter all the way down.

Oh yeah, what does the personality test section count for?

thanks for the replies!

• 9 months later...

Just a few tips that I thought might help someone in the future:

1. The test prep guide is worth it's weight in gold, IF:

a. It is properly edited. Read the reviews for guides, some of them are notorious for poor editing.

b. It contains examples of all the sections. My gripe with the current ARCO book is that it only contains 6 sections. I borrowed some older guides from friends in ROTC and although they were the old version of the test, they had all the sections.

2. As always, take the test when you are feeling well. It sucks if you have to wait another month because you are sick or got no sleep the night before, but since you can only take this test twice, seriously consider postponing it.

3. Eat some carbohydrates for dinner the night before and for breakfast. Your brain is fueled by glucose, and if you don't have any readily available in your bloodstream, you won't be at peak efficiency. That doesn't mean eat a cup of table sugar before the test, as you will probably burn out before it is over. Complex carbs, not simple ones! Additionally, lay off the 12 cups of coffee. A SINGLE, 8 oz. cup of coffee has been shown to increase test scores. Anything more than that is detrimental. Seeing as how it's difficult to get an 8 oz. cup these days, consider just waking up a little earlier, or taking a cold shower to wake you up.

4. I'm not particularly good at arithmetic. I've spent my college years doing calculus, leaving the little stuff for the calculator. I'm horrible with my multiplication tables when it comes to the 6,7,8 columns. When I sat down at my test desk, before anything began, I wrote out a quick table on one of my scratch sheets. It turns out I only referenced it to check my work after I was finished with a problem, but I had it as a parachute if I spaced out and started to panic. You may find a similar tactic works with other sections. Just make sure you don't bring anything into the test room that isn't in your brain.

5. Section 4 there is really the example for figuring out what you are not the best at, and concentrating on studying that. I practiced the arithmetic and math knowledge sections 4-5 times over. Even though I had done the problems before, seeing them again made me recognize the TYPE of problem, and how to attack it.

6. Manage your time. You will probably be going as fast as possible anyways, and most of the sections you will finish with time to spare. However, table reading and block counting are very time-limited. If you know you are getting close to the end time, but have 5 answers left, sacrifice accuracy for speed. Don't leave anything blank!

• 2 months later...

Just got my scores back today

Pilot: 98, Nav: 84, AA: 75, Ver: 66, Quant: 76

All i did was study and do the sample and practice tests in the ARCO a couple of weeks prior to get a feel for the test and my weak areas. I was already familiar with the aviation knowlegde (I'm a CFI student, so I've been studying that for a while) and instrument interp. My weal areas was verb and having to do math without a calculator again. The verbal is a little more difficult to correct, but the math wasn't, just got the pencil out and practiced my short hand. Note: learn frational and diecimal relationships, this help me out big on time, i just looked at a fraction and new what ball park the decimal number was, no long division needed.

Test day, I got 8 hrs of sleep, got up 2 hrs before the test to allow my body and mind to fully wake up. I dressed nice, e.i khaki slacks, button down, and nice shoes, to make myself feel more professional and get in that mindset. I ate a full breakfast and had a small coffee, and relaxed.

While taking the test, I actually found the areas either easier or the same difficulty and the practice tests in the ARCO book. Some of the words were even the same as the ARCO tests. Time managment is huge, I brought a stop watch to time myself, when about 20 seconds were left for a section, i just started to fill in bubbles since to do not get penalized for having the wrong answer. DO NOT LEAVE ANY BUBBLES EMPTY!!!

Thats my advice Good luck

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
How do you schedule an AFOQT test?

There are several ways to set up the test:

1. Talk to an Air Force recruiter if your interested in going the "Officer Training School" route.

2. Talk to a Reserve Officer Training Corp (ROTC) Unit Admissions Officer if your interested in the ROTC route.

3. Talk to a Guard unit Recruiter if your interested in going the "Academy of Military Science" (AMS) route.

4. Talk to a Reserve recruiter if you interested in joining the reserves.

5. If you are already Active duty, a dependent or have access to a Base Education Office, they can set you up to take the AFOQT .

6. Call up the local MEPS

• 3 months later...
Guest longhorns9819

I have been doing alot of reading on this site and have not found anyone talking about an AFOQT score waiver. So I am asking. I am in AFROTC and had an afoqt score waiver for verbal. I am doing great in the program, but the word is now that I can not even go up for a rated slot because of the waiver. Is their anything I can do or even anything that can be done? Is there a waiver for a waiver?

Thanks

Guest F16crewdwgg

Honestly, you have to take it again man. You can take it upto 3 times with a waiver.. see, the waiver was probably initially given to keep you in the program. Which was more of a benefit of the DET than yours.

Look at it this way, look at all the people going up for a pilot slot who have descent scores without a waiver. Honestly even if there was a waiver for a waiver I can't see it taking you to the aviation world.

You have to study your rear off and take that b^tch again. Don't worry man you will pull it off!

I have been doing alot of reading on this site and have not found anyone talking about an AFOQT score waiver. So I am asking. I am in AFROTC and had an afoqt score waiver for verbal. I am doing great in the program, but the word is now that I can not even go up for a rated slot because of the waiver. Is their anything I can do or even anything that can be done? Is there a waiver for a waiver?

Thanks

Actually, whoever told you you're no longer competitive because of a low verbal is full of crap. Don't buy it. If you CAN retake it, do so at your own risk. My friend recently retook the test to get a higher score and ended up doing worse.

Waivers are permitted under certain circumstances, BUT, If your cadre tells you, you don't stand a chance, I'd bail on the program if being a pilot is all you want to do. In the end you'll get screwed and not be able to do anything about it. Each DET is different and the cadre has their own ideas of what constitutes pilot material. Maybe your a great cadet/guy that gets good grades, applies yourself to the program, and has an impact on your peers. That may be good enough. It also doesn't hurt to make it known that you desire to become a pilot... In a non-tool'ish way of course.

Just my 2.

Edited by yerfer

• 4 months later...
100% Recommend the ARCO book. There are two of them, get em both, bite the bullet on the cost, this is your future right? spend a little money on preparing correctly.

cheers!

-summers

I used these:

Barron's

Acro Flight

Acro Officer

I found the Barron's tests to be the most useful, but all three just got me into the AFOQT thinking mindset. I saw it as an investment into my future. I've spent more on one book for college and got less out of it than I did with these three.

-Getzen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hey all, I am currently a Nav starting to build my AD UPT package for next year FY2011. I have noticed that the info for AFOQT third time testing has been removed from AFI 36-2605 Attach 2. Has anyone here gotten a waiver despite this? Any guidance on getting a waiver? I am worried that I will not be as competitive because I was an idiot in ROTC four years ago. I appreciate the help!

Edit: Thanks for moving this to the appropriate thread.

Edited by Shiner

Hey all, I am currently a Nav starting to build my AD UPT package for next year FY2011. I have noticed that the info for AFOQT third time testing has been removed from AFI 36-2605 Attach 2. Has anyone here gotten a waiver despite this? Any guidance on getting a waiver? I am worried that I will not be as competitive because I was an idiot in ROTC four years ago. I appreciate the help!

Edit: Thanks for moving this to the appropriate thread.

Check AFI 36-2006. I'm not sure if they use this on AD, but it definitely applies to ROTC/OTS. If you wanted a third try in ROTC you had to have sharp grades and a commander to go to bat for you. In rare cases you see people who speak a second language get a third try or waive the test altogether. I know two cadets that got away with this all while maintaining a low C in every class (including ROTC which should tell you something...). They simply threw together a spiffy memorandum and sent it off to AFROTC HQ with a stamp of approval from the WC.

I don't know who you can see on AD, but if that AFI applies AD, I'd assume your chances are there and hopefully you've behaved and earned a good reputation on AD so someone will recommend you.

If your a NAV on AD, do you really have to take the AFOQT again to apply for pilot? If that's true, boy the AF needs some real help.

• 4 weeks later...

1. How do you pronounce AFOQT? Do you say the letters individually or A-FOQT (or something else)?

2. Is there a fee to take the AFOQT? Having the option to go to a MEPS or an university, which is better?

3. Do I have to take the TBAS with the AFOQT?

1. Use the letters, not some made-up word.

2. Its free. You can take it where ever is best for you. Some people feel the ROTC units are a little less stressful, but frankly there isn't much difference. Distance may be a factor. You can usually schedule via the ROTC dets yourself, while MEPS arrangements are done via the recruiter in most cases.

3. I'm not sure about the TBAS...I think that's a recruiter-scheduled event.

• 2 weeks later...

3. I'm not sure about the TBAS...I think that's a recruiter-scheduled event.

You can schedule the TBAS yourself and it's also free. Find locations here.

You have to take it after your AFOQT, at least that's what the testing supervisor said.

• 5 months later...
Guest Garret

GreyBeard, I have a question, I see all the post on here about study material, but I am unsure on which one to get to study and have the best possible chance on doing well on the AFOQT. Is it the ARCO book, or is there another? Also is there good info on the net that I could be studying? Anything would help.

There are several commercial pubs: ARCO, Peterson's, Barron's, plus some related web sites for practice tests. They're all about the same, but it doesn't hurt to use them all. Go to a well known book store and buy them, or a used bookstore to get them cheaper (try to get the latest version). None of them are perfect, and none of them give you the exact test, but they will all describe and allow practice on the TYPE of questions asked. Also, for the Verbal sections, many people recommend a GRE or GMAT verbal analogies study guide, which are apparently similar to the type of thing you'll see on the AFOQT. The most important thing is to understand the way the test will be administered...several (a half dozen or so) strictly timed sub-sections. Practice taking the tests under strict time restraints as the books suggest. Time management is frequently as important as the material itself.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My first post! Hopefully, I don't make an *** out of myself but I am scheduled to take the AFOQT in 2 weeks. I understand that there is a 5 part scoring system with Pilot, Navigator, Academic Aptitude, Verbal, and Quantitative? My question is if I want to be a personnel and manpower officer do I have to have high scores pertaining to Pilot and Navigator areas? I'm going to do my best on all parts but there's only so much new information I can cram into my head in 2 weeks.

Also, is there a website out there that has all military abbreviations and jargon? I feel lost reading posts sometimes because I don't know all the abbreviations and whatnot. Are slots a pilot and navigator thing or does it mean all available officer positions?

I'd greatly appreciate any help! :)

Edited by cc2010

• 4 weeks later...

My first post! Hopefully, I don't make an *** out of myself but I am scheduled to take the AFOQT in 2 weeks. I understand that there is a 5 part scoring system with Pilot, Navigator, Academic Aptitude, Verbal, and Quantitative? My question is if I want to be a personnel and manpower officer do I have to have high scores pertaining to Pilot and Navigator areas? I'm going to do my best on all parts but there's only so much new information I can cram into my head in 2 weeks.

Also, is there a website out there that has all military abbreviations and jargon? I feel lost reading posts sometimes because I don't know all the abbreviations and whatnot. Are slots a pilot and navigator thing or does it mean all available officer positions?

I'd greatly appreciate any help! :)

I would guess you would not need to do exceptionally well in the Pilot and Nav sections. But I could be wrong. I've never looked at the AFOQT from a non-pilot perspective lol. Check out "Which AFOQT Sections Do You Care About Most?" to see what sections of the test you may want to focus on.

• 2 months later...

I cannot speak for all left-brained individuals, but I always found word analogies to be the hardest to prepare for. Because I might be a weirdo, I have a list of words that appear often on all standardized tests to help the language deficient people like me. I hope someone can benefit from the labor of love this list has been:

Abolish, abridge, abstemious, accent, accent(ed), accolade, acquiesce, affirmation, amass, ambivalence(ambivalent), ambulatory, ameliorate, amity, anchor, antediluvian, ascendancy, atrophy.

Bane(ful), bizarre, blunder, bungle, burgeon.

Capitulate(capitulation), capricious, clemency, coalesce(nce), cohere(nt), compress(ion), confide(ntial), confound, congeal, contaminate(contaminant), converge, convivial, copious, corroborate, corrugated, corrupt(ion), cursory.

Daunt, dauntless, debilitate, deplete, discrepancy, disentangle, dsputatious(dispute), distend(distention), drawback.

Efface, effervesce(nt), enhance, enigmatic, ephemeral, equilibrium, euphonious(euphony), evacuate, evanescent, expedite(expeditious), expendable(expenditures), exclude.

Facilitate, fallow, fertile, flourish(flower), fraudulent, fruitful(fruitless).

Garner, guile.

Hackneyed, hefty, hideous, hilarity, humane, hypocrisy(hypocritical).

Innocuous, irascible.

Jettison.

Kindle.

Leniency(lenient), levity(levitate), listless.

Maladroit, mitigate, mobile, munificent, munificence, myriad.

Nefarious.

Obscure(obscurity), opaque(opacity).

Parsimony, paucity, penury, peripheral(periphery), placate, precise(precision), premature, premeditated, prevalent, proclivity, prodigal(prodigious), profuse(profusion), pulverize(d).

Rant, recalcitrant, recant, replete, rescind, reverse, ruffle, rupture.

Saccharine, salubrious, somber, specify(specificity), spurn, squander, stymie, subtle, summary, summon, sumptuous, surreptitious(ly).

Tantamount, tenacious(tenacity), transience(transient), turbulence.

Venturesome, viable, vibrancy(vibrant), vilification, virulence(virulent).

Whet.

Zany.

When I have more time, I can create a list of the most important prefixes, roots, and suffixes. Becoming familiar with all of this helped me out a lot, so I am just throwing it out there for the rest of you.

Edited by GenericDisplayName
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Important word roots to know

Ag, act= do or act (agent, counteract)

Alt= high (altitude, altar)

Am= friend or love (amity, amorous)

Aper= open (aperture, aperient)

Apt= fit (adapt, aptitude)

Bas= low (debase, basement)

Bell= war (bellicose, antebellum)

Ben= good (benevolent, benefactor)

Brev= short (brevity, abbreviation)

Cad, cas, cid= fall (cadence, casualty, incident)

Cand= white, shining (candid, candidate)

Cap, capt, cept= take or hold (capable, captive, intercept)

Ced, cess= yield or go (cede, procession)

Celer= swift (celerity, accelerate)

Clin= lean or bend (inclination, recline)

Clud, clus= close or shut (conclude, recluse)

Curr, curs= run (current, cursory)

Dic, dict= speak or say (indicate, contradict)

Dign= worthy (dignity, indignant)

Duc, duct= lead (induce, ductile)

Equ= equal (equity, equanimity)

Fac, fact, fect, fic= make or do (facile, factory, infection, fiction)

Fer= bear or carry (fertile, confer)

Fid= faith or trust (confide, infidelity)

Fin= end (infinite, final)

Flect, flex= bend (reflect, flexible)

Fort= strong (fortitude, fortify)

Frag, fract= break (fragile, fracture)

Fug= flee (fugitive, refugee)

Gen= kind, race, birth (generate, generic, generation)

Grad, gress= step or go (graduate, digress)

Grat= pleasing (gratitude, congratulate)

Integr= entire or whole (integrate, integral)

Ject= throw (inject, projection)

Junct= join (conjunction, juncture)

Lat= carry (translation, dilate)

Leg, lig, lect= Choose or gather (legible, eligible, collect)

Liber= free (liberate, libertine)

Loc= place (dislocate, local)

Luc, lum= light (translucent, illuminate)

Magn= great (magnitude, magnificent)

Man= hand (manufacture, manual)

Micro= small (microscope, microfilm)

Migr= wander (migrate, immigration)

Mit, miss= send (admit, submission)

Mon= advise or remind (admonish, monument)

Mort= death (immortality, mortal)

Mult= many (multitude, multifarious)

Mut= change (mutation, transmute, immutable)

Nat= born (natal, innate)

Neg= deny (negate, renege)

Nov= new (novelty, novice, innovation)

Oper= work (cooperation, operate)

Pel, puls= drive (compel, expulsion)

Pet= seek (impetus, petition)

Plic= fold or bend (complicate, implicate)

Pon, pos= place or put (component, compose)

Port= carry or bring (porter, import)

Poten= powerful (potentate, impotent)

Prot= first (protagonist, prototype)

Quer, quir, quis, ques= ask or seek (query, inquiry, inquisition, quest)

Reg, rig, rect= rule or govern (regent, rigid, corrective)

Rupt= break (rupture, erupt, interruption)

Sci, scio= know (conscious, omniscient)

Scrib, script= write (describe, prescription)

Sec, sect= cut (bisect, secant)

Sent, sens= feel or think (sentiment, sensible)

Sequ, secut= follow (sequel, consecutive)

Solv, solu= loosen (dissolve, absolution)

Spec, spect, spic= look or appear (specimen, prospect, conspicuous)

Stat, stab= stand (status, stability)

Teg, tect= cover (tegument, detect)

Ten, tain= hold or reach (tenant, tension, retain)

Term= end (terminal, terminate)

Tract= draw (attract, extract)

Umbra= shade (umbrella, umbrage)

Urb= city (suburb, urban)

Vac= empty (vacate, evacuation)

Val, vail= be strong (valid, prevail)

Ven, vent= come (convene, prevention)

Ver= true (veracity, aver)

Vert, vers= turn (convert, reverse)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Important prefixes to know:

A, ab, abs= from or away (avert, abjure, absent)

Ad= to (adhere). By assimilation, ad takes the forms of a, ac, af, al, an, ap, as, and at (aspire, accord, affect, allude, annex, appeal, assume, and attract)

Ante, anti= before (antedate, anticipate)

Anti= against (antidote, antislavery)

Arch= first or chief (archangel, archenemy)

Bi= two (bilateral, bisect)

Circum= around (circumnavigate, circumvent)

Com, con, col, cor, co= together (commit, concord, collect, correct, co-worker)

Contra, contro, counter= against (contradict, controvert, counteract)

De= down or away from (descend, depart, describe)

Dis, di, dif= apart or not (dissension, division, diffident)

Equi= equal (equinox, equivalent)

Ex, e, ef= out of or from (extract, eject, efface)

Hyper= too much (hypercritical, hypersensitive)

Hypo= too little (hypochondriac, hypodermic)

In, il, im, ir= into, in, on (invade, illustrate, immerse, irritate)

In, il, im, ir= not (indistinct, illegal, impossible, irresponsible)

Inter, intro= between or among (interpose, introduce)

Mal, mis= bad (malevolent, mistreat)

Non= not (nonentity, nonconformist)

Ob, of, op= against (obviate, offend, oppose)

Omni= all (omniscient, omnipresent)

Ortho= straight (orthodox, orthopedic)

Pan= all (pantheism)

Peri= around (perimeter, periscope)

Poly= many (polygon, polygamy)

Post= after (postpone, postmortem)

Pre= before (predict, preliminary)

Pro= forward (proceed, provide)

Re= back or again (recur, recede)

Se= apart (seduce, sedition)

Sub= under (submarine, subversion)

Super= above or beyond (superpose, supernatural)

Syn, sym= with or at the same time (synonymous, sympathetic)

Trans= across (transcontinental, transmit)

Un= not (unaware, uninformed)

Uni= one (unanimous, uniform)

Vice= instead of (vice-chancellor, viceroy)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Important suffixes to know:

Able= able (pliable, returnable)

Al= belonging to (legal, regal)

Ance, ence= state of (abundance, indulgence)

Ate= one who (candidate, advocate)

Cy= State or position of (adequacy, presidency)

Ence= State of (presence, credence)

Escent= becoming (adolescent, putrescent)

Fy= make (beautify, sanctify)

Ic, id= of or like (bucolic, acrid)

Il, ile= capable of being (evil, servile)

Ion= act of (desperation, perspiration)

Ious= characterized by (spacious, illustrious)

Ish= like (boyish, foolish)

Ive= relating to (abusive, plaintive)

Ness= quality of (willingness, shrewdness)

Ous, ose= full of (ponderous, verbose)

Some= characteristic of (loathsome, fearsome)

Y= full of (unruly, showy)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1