AFOQT details

Guest iloveflying333

Analogies almost always follow a cookie cutter set of relationships:

Synonyms (plot:conspire)

Antonyms (hot:cold)

Homonyms (pail:pale)

Types of measurements (distance:mile)

Locations in, at, or near (Hartford:Connecticut)

Numerical (ten:dime)

Cause-Effect (burn:blister)

Whole-Part (tire:car)

Objects and their purpose (pen:write)

Objects and their users (lure:fisherman)

Creator-Creation (author:novel)

Raw material-final product (yarn:scarf)

Female-Male (cow:bull)

General-Specifics (flower:rose)

Large-Small (ocean:lake)

More-Less (hot:warm)

Early-Later stages (larva:pupa)

Singular-Plural Nouns(goose:geese)

Singular-Plural Pronouns (she:they)

Nominative-Objective Pronouns (he:him)

First Person-Third Person (we:they)

Tense of Verbs (fly:flown)

Comparative Adjectives (bad:worse)

Superlative Adjectives (little:least)

Noun-Adjectve (dog:canine)

Adjective-Adverb (good:well)

Also note that the order of words is very important. The two words in the second pair must be in the same sequence as the first. Mixing them up would negate the relationship.

• 1 month later...
Guest Shelbs

I'm coming up on my 6 mths to retake the AFOQT and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on outside sources to study for the math portion (I have ARCO & Barron's)? I think my fault for scoring so poorly the first time was due to studying the answers to the questions in those books, not so much the material. Maybe college algebra material? I've read through the threads concerning the AFOQT & just see the reference to ACRO, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shelbs

I'm coming up on my 6 mths to retake the AFOQT and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on outside sources to study for the math portion (I have ARCO & Barron's)? I think my fault for scoring so poorly the first time was due to studying the answers to the questions in those books, not so much the material. Maybe college algebra material? I've read through the threads concerning the AFOQT & just see the reference to ACRO, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shelbs

For outside sources you can look here for help or the Gruber's SAT Math Study Guide. College Algebra does not hurt to be familiar with, but most of the math on the AFOQT stops at Algebra 2. They may throw a logarithm at you, but it should only ask to identify the base. Everything on the AFOQT needs to be able to be solved in someone's head and quickly. Make sure you are familiar with word problems (specifically rate, time, and distance problems), ratios, exponents/radicals, factorials, and basic geometry (Pythagorean Theory, formulas, angle degree sums).

If you need any help, please feel free to PM me. Math is my forté and I will be more than happy to assist.

Edited by Masshole
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I am taking my AFOQT for the first time tomorrow morning. As I was going through one of my study guides I noticed that each practice test says that the score on this section is based out of the number of questions I answer correctly. This may be a stupid question but is it to my advantage to only answer the questions I am positive I am correct or should I answer all questions no matter what?

I am taking my AFOQT for the first time tomorrow morning. As I was going through one of my study guides I noticed that each practice test says that the score on this section is based out of the number of questions I answer correctly. This may be a stupid question but is it to my advantage to only answer the questions I am positive I am correct or should I answer all questions no matter what?

Yes, yes. Answer all of the questions. Do not spend time thinking about one. Answer all the ones you are positive of and then go back and look at the ones you skipped again. More often than not, you will get it looking at it a second time. If not, there are usually two obviously wrong answers and from there you can make an educated guess. If you are truly in a bind, figure out which letter option you have the least guesses on and go with that one. If you only have a few 'C' answers, guess 'C' for an unknown problem.

• 2 months later...
AOPA.org. The website provides a lot of information about aircraft and aerodynamics in the form of standard text articles, flash cards, and quizzes.

Another good one is if you go to the Sporty's website, they have a free PPL written test practice program where you can answer pretty much all the questions that can show up on the written test (there are like 600 questions I think). You can pick different categories or just have it ask questions from all of them. Also totally overkill for the AFOQT but it's pretty nice. I used it to study for my written exam and it was very helpful!

• 5 months later...

Just took the AFOQT today at Travis. The test turned out to be much simpler than the practice exams. I used both Barrons and Petersons study guides. I highly recommend both. Here are a couple pointers:

-Table Reading: Don't bother with anything else besides x y graphs, its all about speed and I doubt many people can complete the entire section. Practice large x y graphs and you will do fine.

- Math Knowledge is on par with the two study guides, so read up and practice a lot

-Arithmetic takes forever and was simpler than the study guides. I still recommend practicing under time, because even though it was simpler, the time was a big factor.

-Vocab was pretty basic and similar to the vocab listed in this forum

In general, the test was easier than I had expected. I had put in a good amount of time studying (2 hours a day for a month straight) and I don't regret it. If your serious about getting a decent score, the effort is worth it in the end. The guides are worth their weight in gold BUT only if you practice under time. Like everyone has said, its all about time management! I highly recommend bringing a watch with a timer so you can see how much time is left in each section.The proctor called the 1 min mark but it was still really helpful to see the running time. Good luck to everyone, hope this was helpful.

Edited by TravisHopeful

• 10 months later...

I'm going to retake the AFOQT soon, last time i took it was jan '12, so it was the old version. did the content of the test change? I don't see any new study guides yet or anything like that, so I'm not sure. I'd like to focus my studying,and I heard some sections matter more than others now. any insight would be awesome.

Guest Bird321
I'm going to retake the AFOQT soon, last time i took it was jan '12, so it was the old version. did the content of the test change? I don't see any new study guides yet or anything like that, so I'm not sure. I'd like to focus my studying,and I heard some sections matter more than others now. any insight would be awesome.

The test has not changed at all; at least it hasn't since I retook it over 3 months ago. I remember verbatim the same pilot and science questions when I took it 3 years ago. My scores dropped too but not by much and then rose significantly after retaking. I studied a ton but I would get the older study guides since then haven't changed it in awhile. Also, when I took it my test proctor made it clear for the block counting the corners count as a side, not just side to side or laying on top. Some test preps contradict this but count corners! Table reading straight forward, huge X and Y sheet, none of that finding distances between cities or time bus A leaves for stop 1. I personally feel like they changed the algorithm because so many people are trying to go after pilot slots since people's P and N scores are the ones that are being affected the most. I could be wrong though. Best of luck! Oh has anybody heard back from Minnesota?

Want to reiterate what a few others have said - the Barron's guide is a game changer. And, time your practice tests. The Barron's guide has a few - I took one not on the clock and one on the clock and it's no joke a quick exam.

Maybe it's been said before, but there's an online suite of tests here (hope the link works): http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/dod/DODHubPage.aspx?sponsor=12894&HubPage=10064

My recruiter said I was ok to register even though I was civilian at the time.

Lastly, I think the test specifically had us sign a non disclosure (this goes for TBAS as well). Maybe the format changes (does it?) because too many people discuss the specifics? My copy was many years old (tested in fall 2011) so I don't think it changes often. Everything you need to know is in the Barron's book.

For what it's worth, my scores were good enough to get a UPT slot and I only had two hours flight time when I tested. I could barely read an attitude indicator before, so obviously the Barron's book was a big help. Push your test date back, if possible, if you're not prepared...you only get two chances. Good luck. PM if I can help.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thought I would share a studying tip for the betterment of this site...This little technique is something I found to help me understand time management:
While taking each practice test, after finishing a section, I would write the amount of time I had remaining next to that section on the answer sheet. Then when reviewing my answers later on, I could easily see which sections I could spend more time with and which sections I needed to increase my pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share a studying tip for the betterment of this site...This little technique is something I found to help me understand time management:
While taking each practice test, after finishing a section, I would write the amount of time I had remaining next to that section on the answer sheet. Then when reviewing my answers later on, I could easily see which sections I could spend more time with and which sections I needed to increase my pace.

I agree wholeheartedly... that test was NOT about how smart you are; it's all about speed and time management. Take every practice test you can find, and take each one at least five or more times for speed. You'll be amazed at how much quicker you can get within a couple weeks. By the time I took the real test, I had way more time than I needed and my scores were solid to boot.

Competition for OTS and Guard/Reserve slots is getting tougher seemingly each year. Make it count.

Speed, speed, speed...

• 2 months later...

One thing that I found helped me dramatically on the extremely time pressured sections was not only studying the material but looking at how efficient I was during the section. This may be a bit over the top but I planned out every movement I was going to make during the table reading section. From the position of the booklet/answer sheet on the desk to where I put my pencil/finger, I made sure I was as efficient as possible. For example, I always kept my pencil glued on the current question, so I wouldn't lose my spot and waste precious seconds on finding it again. I ended up finishing just as the clock hit 0 so it was well worth the 30 minutes of planning/practicing.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone shed some light on the sections of the afoqt that make up the pilot composite score? I've read various threads online and websites where there is all sorts of different information on who thinks what goes into the score. If anyone has a definite answer please share. Thanks!

Do well on the whole thing, and you don't have to worry about it. No one knows for sure, but probably the Quantitative, Pilot, and Academic Aptitude are the most important.

Do well on the whole thing, and you don't have to worry about it.

This. But to specifically answer your question, the Pilot composite score is comprised of the following sub-sections:

• Arithmetic Reasoning
  • Math Knowledge
  • Instrument Comprehension
  • Table Reading
  • Aviation Information

Source

Good luck.

Edited by donkey

• 3 weeks later...

The math sections were what killed me on my first attempt. I highly recommend studying those areas and not winging it if you're a weak swimmer in math like I am. Its college level math ranging from Algebra 2 up to hints of Calculus. I wasn't prepared and I payed for it with a very low academic composite score (ironically i aced all the other pilot sections and if my math had been better my pilot could've been in the 90s), so for those planning to take it for the first time I recommend using both AFOQT specific study books and SAT prep material. I had an old SAT prep book from HS and I found it helpful especially for the english sections.

Oh, and this may have been mentioned before but DONT LEAVE ANY ANSWERS BLANK!! Get as far as you can then during the last 30 secs just guess on the remaining problems. You don't lose points for wrong answers so it would be a shame to lose a few extra points for leaving some blank.

• 3 weeks later...

What the last guy said. I retook it last year and got a 99 on the pilot section. I studied for all the sections, but I spent the majority of the time on the pilot sections. The hardest part for me was trying to remember how to do weird math problems that I had not seen since high school or freshman year in college. If you really want to do well, I suggest buying a book or two that focus on the afoqt and study those.

• 1 month later...

I used the search function but couldn't find my answer; On the Block Counting test, do touching edges count?

I've taken a few practice tests and on some they do, whereas others they don't. I've also searched other forums and it's even inconsistent among different sources there. So can anyone clarify whether it's just faces of the blocks that count, or edges as well? I don't even wanna ask if two touching corners of a block count!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the website http://afoqtguide.com/practice-exams? They have a couple of free practice tests and answers keys on there for the AFOQT. Does anyone know if those are any good or not (are the practice questions a similiar difficulty as the real test), or am I better off studying somewhere else? Thanks.

I used it just recently, found a couple errors but otherwise it seemed legit. I would say it helped.

Edited by xcraftllc

I have a question for all the guys who scored in the 80's and 90's in the categories.

I took the AFOQT last year and did not do well. P-86, N-67, AA-70, V-52, Q-79. I wanted to have scores in the 90's on all these sections so I planned to retake.

I studied pretty aggressively for about 6 weeks before retaking the exam. I took every single practice test I could get my hands on and did under timed conditions. Afterwards I reviewed the problems and answers so I could make sure I understood how to do them (the math ones). I must have memorized about 750 new vocab words too, and then read up on student pilot books to do good in the aviation section. I retook the exam today and am perplexed. I've read severeal sources say that the actual exam is easier than the practice exams but that is not what I thought at all. There were about 5 vocab words in each the Analogies and Synonym sections that I can't even recall ever memorizing and had to guess. Similarly, there were about 3-4 math questions in each math section that I couldn't wrap my head around and just had to make educated guesses. I know for a fact I missed 2 questions on Aviation section because I looked them up afterwards, but I think those may be the only 2 I missed in that section thankfully. The rest of the exam went very good (except damn block counting because I had three where corners were touching and didn't know what to do!) but obviously the most important sections gave me trouble. I definitely did better than the first time but I was expecting to basically coast through it given how much I practiced. I even followed the test taking tips (eating a light breakfast before the test, having 1 small 8oz coffee, and even dressing up formally on the day of the test). Perhaps my downfall was that I didn't quit get enough sleep (about 6 hours) and I was tired but I'm used to functioning off little sleep. Still, perhaps not operating at peak mental efficiency caused me to flutter.

So to the guys that scored in the 80's and 90's on each section, did you have a handful of questions in the academic sections where you had to guess? Or was the exam a breeze to you?

Edited by cdroz88

It's been years but mine looked something like 99:98:88:83:93. Based on what you wrote above, I felt the same way. I've always tested better than average, but I don't remember walking out thinking I killed it. Looking forward to seeing how you did... I do remember only running out of time on one section and having to guess at 5-6 questions.

ARI's tips for success:

1. Study/memorize the Gleim PPL written and you'll ace the pilot section (guaranteed 99).

2. Practice tests will help on Nav and block sections.

3. For math/vocab use your time wisely. Whatever your average time per question is don't exceed it. That way you spend the most time on the questions you should get right, and guess on the hardest ones. Hopefully that makes sense.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I was also hungover and on 2 hours of sleep/my third red bull or so when I took it. YMMV

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!