B-2 Spirit info

Gravedigger

The bunk is still not available, we sleep in the seat or behind the seats.

Whiteman life isn't too bad. Still have to do the long duration sim and occasional long duration sortie. Anytime you can takeoff, drop a full load (sts) on someone and return home that same day and mow your lawn, sleep in your bed and play with the kids is a good thing. I'll take the long sorties over deploying for 6-10 months at a time. AEF rotation for us is in effect, so if you think coming to Whiteman will get you out of deploying, think again. Shook hands with Gunny when they filmed, nice enough guy.

BJD

• 1 year later...

Hardly ever. 99% of those guys are from another MWS who then transfered into the B-2. I think there's been 1 B-2 dropped in the last few years. It's kinda like the U-2...they don't drop them, you gotta get into the gig through application/whatever else.

The AFPC UPT drop list for fiscal year 2007 had like 4 (might have been 2) B-2 positions, one went to a guy in 07-01 at Laughlin. They are dropped more often than Brabus indicates.

Guest AKROTC

Generally, 1 B-2 is dropped to a UPT stud every year. All dudes selected right out of UPT go to T-38 PIT and are a T-38 IP for about 2 years at Whiteman before attending the B-2 RTU. The majority of the rest of folks picked up for B-2's are FAIPs and MWS guys. Nearly all MWS folks now days are prior bomber or fighter pilots.

Any interested UPT studs should let their flight commanders know early that they are interested because there is some type of application package involved. You have to go through the T-38 track to be selected.

I'm at Whiteman now. Just met a 2Lt who's checking in here to fly the B-2. He's checking into the T-38 squadron, so I don't know how long it will be until he flies the B-2. Just filling in my $.02 from the other side of UPT (not me, the other guy).

It seems it would be a crappy assignment though. Hardly any flight time (T-38 or B-2), and once your qual'd on the B-2, where are you going to go? Knob Noster is a nice little town and all, but I wouldn't want to be stuck here for my entire career!! From what I've seen, once you get into a B-2 specific job, this is where you stay.

Any comments?

Guest AKROTC

IT ALLLL depends on the lifestlye that you're interested in after UPT. To some of us, however rare, having a long-term, stable assignment in the heartland of America with relatively low deployment rates that only go to tropical islands, all the while flying the most advanced and incredible aircraft in history (IMHO)...is allll good.

Yes the B-2 is given out to UPT about twice a year and they become a T-38A IP here at Whiteman for at least a year to maybe 1 1/2 before starting IQT which generally is about 6-9 months. That could all change once they start training the STL guard guys so maybe less people will be selected for a few years. We have 2 squadrons of about 20 pilots each and an OSS. If you fly your ass off in the T-38 then you can get over 80 hrs/year but much more as an IP but not as many as an AETC IP. The B-2 you fly twice/month but sometimes more and you can get maybe around 125-150 hrs/year depending on long durations. The lifestyle isn't all that bad and Kansas City is close by. As a young guy you'll move around to all the squadron jobs and upgrade normally but understand you'll have many MWS guys coming in after you but upgrading to AC and IP much faster. Obviously they'll hold the Flt/CC jobs sooner too. You would probably be in the BS until becoming an IP then either moving to the OSS or applying to WPS if that's your wish.

Sorry, I should have used WIC, the 325th WPS is here at Whiteman so I just said WPS. I'm not sure how other airframes work but like I mentioned the upgrades are fairly normal up through SEFE. We have small shops so you do move through pretty much all of them. I understand the hours thing, I was just trying to add it all together. People only hear about the 2 B-2 sorties each month but don't fully understand the durations and other training such as simulators that we get. The T-38 is available if people want to fly and cross countries are open to wherever.

My recommendation for new guys out of UPT is that this may not be what they're looking for. Don't get me wrong, the B-2 is unique and quite remarkable but for new guys no one is sure yet what do to with them after 3-4 years if they don't want to attend WPS. They could be here for 3 years or 10, who knows. Maybe that's what they want. We've given out 1 white jet total and around 2 ALO's/year. Whiteman is becoming younger which hopefully will change some but we still have a majority coming from other MWS.

Edited by Bluto

Bluto

You mentioned about getting the MOGAR guys through their training, but I wondered how many are actually set to TX to the B-2?

When I was with them last summer, I couldn't find a single one who thought they'd actually go across - most were set on retiring, and the younger guys were talking about trying to get hired at Jacksonville or Klamouth Falls.

Of course, this was all said in the bar over the course of several evenings and the odd shot of weed, but it's be interesting to know how many are actually going to retire or move, and how many will actually go accross to the B-2.

Cheers

Yeah I have no clue how many are making the TX. I do believe the 1st, which is their CC is starting this summer but not 100% sure. I do know one thing, many AD would like to make the TX to the Guard if allowed. No Nuke role would be awesome!

Edited by Bluto

• 1 year later...

Hey I'm a T6 FAIP and I'm interested in applying for the B2. Still haven't brought it up to my commander nor am I even close to putting in a package, but I heard you should start on these things very early on and try to set yourself up for it. The only problem is I came through T-1's. I have talked to a couple people that have said, though it may be difficult, it's still possible and the T-1 is not neccessarily a disqualifying factor. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was at Whiteman for a year on casual, and there's a guy there doing great things who came from RC-135's, so anything is possible. I will say that ALL the rest of the guys I met there came from something that required a T-38 at UPT. It's very close-nit up there, but they are not obnoxious about letting new people into their circle, it was actually a really cool community and I had a blast, even though everyone there knew I wanted C-17s.

I really can't say for sure, but if I were you, I'd try to talk to some people up there. Call, e-mail, whatever. The club usually has quite a few people there on Friday nights, see if you can make it up there and have a few beers. Hang out, talk to people, and say, "Yeah, I really want this for next assignment, so I figured I'd come up and check it out." vs. "Hey, are you somebody who can get me a spot here?". Not that you would, just throwing that out there.

• 1 month later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...nd-barrier.html

b2_spiritBomber_1401883c.jpg

Its unmistakable teardrop profile is shrouded in the blur of a condensation cloud as it reaches high subsonic speed.

The striking image of the B-2, officially known as the Spirit Bomber, was taken as the aircraft soared over Palmdale, near Los Angeles.

It was released to coincide with the announcement of upgraded military software for the United States Air Force's fleet of 20 B-2s.

The bomber is central to America's air warfare capabilities and is the flagship of the nation's long-range strike arsenal, with the ability to unleash conventional and nuclear weapons.

Its stealth comes from a combination of reduced acoustic, infrared, visual and radar signatures, making it difficult for opposition defences to detect, track and engage the aircraft.

They have seen action in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The B-2 can travel as high as 50,000ft and weighs 153,700lbs without its payload of bombs.

The cloud effect is caused by a vapour cone also known as the "Prandtl-Glauert singularity".

It appears when there is a sudden drop in air pressure around aircraft travelling just above or below the speed of sound.

These condensation clouds, also known as "shock collars", are frequently seen during space shuttle launches but their precise nature is still under debate.

US defence contractor Northrop Grumman Corporation disclosed on Tuesday that it is installing upgraded software in the B-2 bombers' flight management system.

A statement from technology group Semantic Designs, which designed the software, said the project "will enhance and extend the lifetime of the B-2".

The company said: "Although the B-2 is the Air Force's newest bomber, its computers and processors require upgrade to keep up with integration efforts.

"Expanded and more reliable systems are necessary to maintain the B-2's leading edge combat capabilities."

• 1 year later...

I wonder if anyone from AFSOC has ever made it out of AFSOC. I doubt it.

We have some in the U-2: AC-130 & MH-53 backgrounds. Had a few MC-130 pilots released a few years back, but didn't end up coming out.

B-2 pilots: are they having problems getting B-2 volunteers?

Edited by Huggyu2

Is this something they're thinking about doing permanently, or is it more of a one-time deal? As a T-1 stud, I know it's a long shot, but it'd be nice to know the B-2's a possibility down the road.

I know a guy that went from heavies to a B-2

The last board last spring was also opened to heavies. T-1 studs are still not able to get it out of UPT but later down the road can be picked up. Unsure how much longer this will last but it went on for several years then was closed for a few.

Just left Whiteman as a T-38 ACE IP. Anybody interested in the B-2 and wanting info needs to contact the 394th Combat Training Squadron for information. All the applications goes to that squadron for review before going to the board. PM me if you want the phone number.

• 1 year later...

You fückers are funny!

I left SZL summer '09 so my dope is a little dated. But for a data point I spent 6 years at Whiteman, ~1250 total hours between T-38 and B-2 flying (6 yrs flying T-38s, ~600 hours / 4.5 yrs flying the B-2 ~650 hrs). Nothing to write home about but not 80 hours a year.

Manning was like the rest of the CAF - always 6.9 dudes below authorized strength. I don't think that has changed.

I have no SA on current hiring practices. If you would like a good number or contact let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Like every assignment there are good and bad aspects of the job. The B-2 community is small with only the one main base at Whiteman. Means you don't move around much - that can be good and bad. It also means there can be bullshit politics. I've always said the more good bros we hire and the younger and more normalized we get -- the better. Seriously, we hire are own guys - its our own fault if we hire jackasses.

Make up of the community is by my WAG about 50% bomber, 25% fighter, 10% FAIP and 15% other (MAF, UPT, etc). Background has little to do with success. If you were raised right in your previous community, a good bro, can fly and employ the weapon system while not being an ass it doesn't matter if you previously flew AWACS, Eagles, BUFFs, KC-10s, C-21s, F-16s, etc. And anyone that really does care what you previously flew beyond busting balls at the bar is a self-identified ass.

And yes, straight from UPT dudes can excel. I understand in the last couple years the younger dudes, even some straight from UPT bubbas waiting on a B-2 training date flying as pseudo FAIPs have been able to deploy downrange gaining experience in the MC-12. Good on em.

Be advised if you are thinking the B-2 is something you are interested in - once you have nuclear stink on your record it will stick with you. That probably closes more doors than it opens.

I got to do a lot of cool stuff while at Whiteman. My timing in the jet sucked as far as direct kinetic feedback on effecting the current fight. But there is plenty of good other work to keep life interesting. The program began in the black world after all.

I can't speak to the current morale of the Wing. I enjoyed my time there but certainly bitched about plenty (i.e. standard).

I've never heard of an AFSOC dude making the transition - but that doesn't mean it has never happened - especially as I have been out of the loop for a couple years.

There are a couple others on this board who can add some more recent dope on what is happening in the community and/or raise the BS flag on what I've written. Except that Bluto kid - don't listen to a word he says!

e

• 10 months later...