What Do You Drive?

Guest levei363

Guest levei363

Just thought it might be fun to see what kind of automotive toys you bought (whether you're regretting it now or not) when you first pinned on your butter-bar.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest marklyerly

My newest car would have to be my 2005 Scion XB but for my LT mobile I sent my 94 Del Sol to the shop and she will be wild when she comes out new paint, bodykit, lambo doors and diffrent engine

gallery_10201_46_1100217638.jpg

Originally posted by wannaairlift:

Excuse my ignorance, I've seen this topic before...but why do Lt's go out and get a nice car following commissioning?

Well, after four years of living below the poverty level, and most likely having the first real paying job in your life, a lot of people like to reward themselves with a nice car. Nothing wrong with that!

Just a word of advice, if you think you have a chance of going overseas early in your career, you might want to hold off on buying something exotic. You can get some sweet deals on nice rides (BMWs, etc) over here...

Cheers! M2

Guest Dirt Beater

Maj, how does the shipping process work if you're taking your ride back to the states? I've heard, like you said, that there are great deals, but some say all the costs associated with shipping the car back would end up being about what you'd pay for the same car in the US...what's up?

Guest TheBobGoat
Originally posted by Dirt Beater:

Maj, how does the shipping process work if you're taking your ride back to the states? I've heard, like you said, that there are great deals, but some say all the costs associated with shipping the car back would end up being about what you'd pay for the same car in the US...what's up?

and how about emissions and safety -- do you have to do anything special there?

Here's mine....got it 3 months after my Nav wings. Spent the next 4 years restoring it to its current glory. It's worth double what I have in it, so it's been a good investment and a helluva lotta fun.

sweet6967qz.jpg

[ 23. January 2005, 23:32: Message edited by: Bergman ]

Guys

It all depends one the deal you make on the car. You can have it delivered to the States, or pick it up here and ship it yourself (the USAF pays to ship one one car, any more come out of your pocket. I shipped our second Passat from Texas, cost around $800 one-way). As for emissions, it isn't an issue as you are buying a US-spec car. Now, trying to buy and ship a Euro-spec car back to the States is a completely different matter altogether.

Wax, I can get you a price on that M3, and how much it costs in the States. I will post it later, in the mean time check out Pentagon Car Sales, the main tax-free program over here.

By the way, I am not endorsing or promoting any of the above, I have actually never bought a car while overseas. I just know it is a good program that many people take advantage of. There are some downsides, such as "tax free" only means you don't pay taxes on it over here. Some states do require you to pay taxes on the full blue book value on the car when you register it. This happened to my father-in-law in Maryland, and it wasn't what he paid for the car, it was the full blue book value, which was thousands more than what he paid for it.

Cheers! M2

I ride in a fully loaded 1992 Oldsmobile 88 Royale, boy does it suck.

But I also know a guy who pays thru the teeth for his ride.

My wife and I are following the Dave Ramsay (spelling) method. The only time we will buy a new car is when we have the money for it outright.

And... if my pos breaks down, then I'm going out to buy another POS with the money I saved in my emergency fund.

In two-three years we will have enough for a moderately priced pre-owned (in on a lease) SUV.

I can't fathom the idea of going out and buying a 30,000 dollar car, driving it off the lot, having its value go down by whatever percentage then paying the bank interest for the privlige of owning something that looks cool but nevertheless is a poor investment. If the days of 0% interest loans return, I'd take one out.

Who in the hell ever said cars were an investment? Unless you by a Benz or some other classic (like Bergman's sweet ride), cars are not something to drop money on and expect a return. They are a means of transport and in some cases entertainment. If you are looking for a return, then invest in real estate or the market. Cars/trucks/motorcycles are for fun, dudes and dudettes!

Sorry, I checked the R&R TV Guide, I thought it had BMW prices in it but I guess it is just the plain R&R Guide. I'll grab one of those this weekend and post the prices for the BMWs.

Cheers! M2

Guest bmmcgraw

I got my brand new 2004 Z71 Tahoe, which listed at 46k for 34k...I looked around and I couldn't even find a used 2003 for that little so I had to jump on the deal. I had thought about waiting a couple years to bank some more $$, but this deal was too good to pass up. No regrets whatsoever...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I think it's worth mentioning...It's been a few years but USAA has a great deal for new Lt's where they give you a really sweet interest rate on a car loan. I honestly don't remember what the deal was exactly and I'm too lazy to go dig thru my files. Anyone done this recently?

• 3 years later...
Wax, I can get you a price on that M3, and how much it costs in the States. I will post it later, in the mean time check out Pentagon Car Sales, the main tax-free program over here.

Has anybody here worked with these guys before while TDY? How much $ did you actually save once everything was said and done after having the thing send back to the US and paying any applicable taxes?