?s on medical records/history

drumkitwes

When DODMERB requests all medical records from birth to present, what happens if records are unavailable? For example, I recieved my physicals through my High School and they discard them after the student leaves. So from 14-18 there are no medical records except for one physical which I happen to have. Would a signed statement from the athletic director saying just that be ok? Is it not a big deal? Is my Air Force career over?

Secondly, do I have to get my dermatologist records from when I was 14 and got treated for acne? I would assume yes, it is just taking a long time and really how important is it?

Finally, how long does it take to process the medical records once DODMERB has it? And do they ever call physicians and ask for records on their own?

Thanks

When DODMERB requests all medical records from birth to present, what happens if records are unavailable? For example, I recieved my physicals through my High School and they discard them after the student leaves. So from 14-18 there are no medical records except for one physical which I happen to have. Would a signed statement from the athletic director saying just that be ok? Is it not a big deal? Is my Air Force career over?

Secondly, do I have to get my dermatologist records from when I was 14 and got treated for acne? I would assume yes, it is just taking a long time and really how important is it?

Finally, how long does it take to process the medical records once DODMERB has it? And do they ever call physicians and ask for records on their own?

Thanks

I was kinda in the same situation as you... only I was missing records from the 4-12 yr range. It's not a big deal, you just have to send them a memo stating what you do not have and why. I think you have to give them contact info so that they can verify that you do, infact not have records available for the given time period. As far as the dermatologist goes, you will most likely have to include that as it is a medical record.

Don't know how long DODMERB takes, probably dependent on how much stuff you have for them to sort through.

Hope this helps.

When DODMERB requests all medical records from birth to present, what happens if records are unavailable?

First, you give them what you can get your hands on. If the physicals from HS no longer exist then there are no medical records. Think about the kids who never played sports in HS, but never got sick either. They wouldn't necessarily have any medical records for that period of time either. Don't over-analyze the situation. However, if you had major surgery during that time, I wouldn't try to cover up anything either.

Second, right in line with the first answer, yes. If you got treated by a dermatologist then you need to try to get the records or at least provide a name and address/phone number they can call to request them.

Bottom line, if you have put down some injury of illness that you have/had, DODMERB is going to want to know as much about the diagnosis and treatment as they can.

First, you give them what you can get your hands on. If the physicals from HS no longer exist then there are no medical records. Think about the kids who never played sports in HS, but never got sick either. They wouldn't necessarily have any medical records for that period of time either. Don't over-analyze the situation. However, if you had major surgery during that time, I wouldn't try to cover up anything either.

Second, right in line with the first answer, yes. If you got treated by a dermatologist then you need to try to get the records or at least provide a name and address/phone number they can call to request them.

Bottom line, if you have put down some injury of illness that you have/had, DODMERB is going to want to know as much about the diagnosis and treatment as they can.

I'll go with a signed statement just to be safe. And there was no major surgery during that time.

Thanks

I grew up on military bases that have since closed down, and all my medical records prior to 14 were destroyed when the bases (and their hospitals) were closed. I just wrote on the form they sent me what happened, and they were cool with it.

Guest Rage_:P

Agree w/ give em what you got.

As for military folks...even though you don't give them a record, there is an electronic record of every visit, prescription, lab, xray! In the future we'll just have an electronic medical record (nothing on paper).

With the exception of any post-birth checkups that I don't remember (and those records were long gone) I didn't have anything. The only times in my life I ever saw a doctor was for a yearly box checking "assembly line" sports physical (I never kept a record of that shit, a dead man could have passed). I may have written a statement explaining why I didn't have records but I don't even remember doing that, and it didn't cause any problems for me while being put through the AF system.

Guest Rainman A-10
...there is an electronic record of every visit, prescription, lab, xray! In the future we'll just have an electronic medical record (nothing on paper).

Do they now also have a secret file documenting every time you got your "bell rung" (but, of course never, ever lost consciousness) and the team Doc had to come out on the field/ice with the smelling salts?

Guest Rage_:P
Do they now also have a secret file documenting every time you got your "bell rung" (but, of course never, ever lost consciousness) and the team Doc had to come out on the field/ice with the smelling salts?

omniscience (look it up!)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rtstolwo

I am a dependent of an Army officer so all of my medical records went to archives in St. Louis after sitting idle for X amount of time. I now need these records in order to get my MEPS physical done, only problem is that nobody seems to be able to get them for me.

Time is critical obviously because the application correction date for this OTS board is June 20. The archives place says it will take up to a MONTH to process my request (which I have submitted three times now). Any advice on how to expedite this. I have told them my situation but that doesn't matter because there is no procedure for expedition so long as it is not a true medical emergency. Anybody out there ever had this problem?

Guest P27:17
I am a dependent of an Army officer so all of my medical records went to archives in St. Louis after sitting idle for X amount of time. I now need these records in order to get my MEPS physical done, only problem is that nobody seems to be able to get them for me.

Time is critical obviously because the application correction date for this OTS board is June 20. The archives place says it will take up to a MONTH to process my request (which I have submitted three times now). Any advice on how to expedite this. I have told them my situation but that doesn't matter because there is no procedure for expedition so long as it is not a true medical emergency. Anybody out there ever had this problem?

Why do you HAVE to have your medical records? The FC I doesn't require them...there nice to have if they are available but not manditory! Your recruiter needs some hair on his/her testicles!

• 1 year later...
Guest AZDiamondbacks

I haven't seen a doctor for several years but the doc I used to see no longer practices and I can't get the records. I'm wondering if it will be a problem since I had tonsils removed and they'd need to see the records for the IFC1. Am I supposed to bring all my records? How does the AF go about obtaining records or is it all just based on history provided by the person getting examined?

Guest P27:17
I haven't seen a doctor for several years but the doc I used to see no longer practices and I can't get the records. I'm wondering if it will be a problem since I had tonsils removed and they'd need to see the records for the IFC1. Am I supposed to bring all my records? How does the AF go about obtaining records or is it all just based on history provided by the person getting examined?

You shouldn't need your records for your tonsils...if a condition warrants records you'll have to apply to the hospital/clinic under the FOIA...no big deal...