It is finished!

Guest Bushmaster

Guest Bushmaster

Before I start with pics, I thank all of you for their extraordinary support and prayers. It felt like this was a never ending journey, sometimes struggle, sometimes even mental torture, but it is all over now. We can all celebrate now.... I am tired, exhausted but I am a US citizen now.

The banner is proper...

uscitizenbannertt2.jpg

Now, first a bit history of the whole ordeal... I applied for citizenship in September 2005. I was stationed in Korea, and my application was based on my military qualifications. It was supposed to be a very straight forward process, however it turned out to be the quite opposite. After I had my interview and civics test in June 2006 in the US, I waited and waited and waited. Nothing, no response, no progress. I dreamt to become a US citizen when I was as little as 13 and I definitely decided when I was 18, however, it was indeed very depressing to the extreme knowing I was about to be deployed, and I was not naturalized yet. I volunteered to bleed but could not vote.

April 13, 2007 we filed the lawsuit to challenge the government to answer to us, I didn't want to bring myself to that level, but had no other option. Another aspect of our country though, you have ways of getting a response, any response when you knock on the judge's door.

Court hearing was set for April 19th, at 1400 hours, I was there 30 mins prior. I found the courtroom at the 17th floor of the federal building, however the place seemed deserted. Noone around. They kept my phone downstairs as it was camera phone, so I could not call my lawyer. Well, being nervous, I paced and paced, relentlessly saying the Jesus prayer. 10 minutes to the hearing, still noone around, I kept pacing., Finally, just before the time was up, my lawyer showed and he was followed by the Assistant US Attorney, and we proceeded into the courtroom. We sat and the clerk called the judge to come in. In the meanwhile, the AUSA asked my lawyer if we got the "approval", he was like "What? No we didn't get anything" ...

Honorable Timothy Batten Sr, walked in, all rose, and we went ahead with the proceedings, the first thing to come out of the judge's mouth, "I read about the case, it is pretty clear to me, what does the government have to say?" She (AUSA) stands up, "Your honor, we got good news, we assumed we still have jurisdiction and we went ahead approved the case", Judge "Jurisdiction granted" Turned to me and said "Good luck to you over there, be careful" That was it, I got a copy of approval notice and was asked what kind of ceremony I was willing to attend, I wanted to make my middle name "John" officially, therefore I asked for a judicial ceremony. While we were waiting for the photocopying of the approval notice, my lawyer kindly suggested not to wait on these people anymore, just get it done and over with the following day. Well, the judicial ceremony was not until another 10 days. I was convinced I was not going to wait on that. I could always do a name change later...

So the next day, April 20th, 2007, was the end of a 7 year, 8 month, 9 day hope, including the 19 month wait for the application...

Like I said, most of you walked this struggle with me, knowing what steps I was at... Online or offline it doesn't matter, I value all of you my friends. You all are a part of my life, a part of this journey... Thanks again for everything you have said, done and thought.

Here are the pictures...

waitingroomje8.jpg

Here we are waiting for the hour to come... We are the earliest ones in the waiting room.

beforeceremonyyv1.jpg

We are moved to the ceremony room now... We are presented with our "welcome" packets...

whendoesitstartba3.jpg

-Dude, when does this thing start? It's been 20 minutes already!!!

More pics coming...

weappreciateyousoldiersum6.jpg

-We appreciate you the soldiers most... Would one of you make a speech? This is how it is going to happen...

letsgetonwithittp2.jpg

-Ok now, let's get on with this ceremony!!!!

abouttobeginya1.jpg

- We are about to begin, ALL RISE and repeat after me!

herewegorq9.jpg

-Here we go... "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;..."

theoath2ld4.jpg

-"that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;..."

theoathzf1.jpg

-"that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Guest Bushmaster

howdysf7.jpg

-Thank you, thank you, thank you, "gracias actually"

americancitizenswy5.jpg

-Do I show it? Naaaah....

secondsaftergt1.jpg

We are citizens of the US of A now, for just a few seconds... Sit down!!!

supervisorspeechpl8.jpg

-We are now going to watch a video message from the President of the US and a motivational video along with the song "God Bless the USA"... You all are so special, don't ever forget this day, never forget where you come from, never abandon your character, your customs or traditions, but you have ONLY one country you belong to from this day on....

volunteeredvu1.jpg

-Well, I volunteered... Why in the world... Ok, focus... what is this in front of me? It is the oath ... NOT MY SPEECH!

whydidiwanttobecomeacitdd5.jpg

-I always wanted to become a US citizen because....

blablablalf0.jpg

-Blah blah blah blah...

thankyouck9.jpg

-Thank you all for listening my rant...

Guest Bushmaster

itisdocumentedgf4.jpg

-It is documented NOW... Here it is... Look I am showing it...

letgoofmycertificatenm9.jpg

-Let go of it man, you are pulling it too tight... Anyway, Welcome to the US of A...

brandnewamericancitizenbo3.jpg

-Brand new American citizens...

legacyinsqx0.jpg

-Can I keep the flag?

ins2gq0.jpg

Here goes the REAL certificate... Certificate of patience, endurance, support and love...

Edited by Bushmaster

Congrats, you have earned it! You've done more for this country than approximately 90% of its citizens (Nearly 26 million Americans living today have served in the military--24 million of these veterans are men, and nearly half are over age 60. There are 301 million people in the US [Source]). I did some quick research on noncitizens serving in the military, and found some interesting facts...

Since Sept. 11, 2001, the number of immigrants in uniform who have become US citizens has increased from 750 in 2001 to almost 4,600 last year, according to military statistics. There are currently about 30,000 noncitizens serving in the US armed forces, making up about 2 percent of the active-duty force. About 100 have died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The US has relied before on sizable numbers of noncitizens to serve in the military--in the Revolutionary War, for example, German and French soldiers served alongside the colonists, and locals were recruited into US ranks to fight insurgents in the Philippines. During the Civil War, at least 20 percent of Union soldiers were immigrants, and many of them had just stepped off the boat before donning a blue uniform. There were even entire units, like the 15th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry [the Scandinavian Regiment] and General Louis Blenker's German Division, where English was hardly spoken.

Just 15 years ago, during the Gulf War, the Army had a total of about 730,000 active-duty soldiers, amounting to about one American in 350 who were serving in the active-duty Army. Today, with 300 million Americans and about 500,000 active-duty soldiers, only about one American in 600 is an active-duty soldier.

Be proud, this is a major milestone in your life. Good on ya! :salut:

Cheers! M2

Guest Bushmaster
My sincerest congrats! What's next for you?

Well, USAF was my childhood dream and motivation to immigrate. I am too old for that now, I fly my viper on the computer :) ... I am going to try Warrant Officer Flight Training, next step would be getting that interim secret clearance a.s.a.p and move on with the flight school application. Thanks all...

Guest Bushmaster
I think by those pictures at the Potium, Congress might be the next step;-)

Thanks and why not, now that I have the right to express my opinion in regards to running of our country, it would be my goal to make our country better.

Guest Bushmaster
Congratulations man, I dont hear form you as much anymore, if you recall you sent me the SCM like 5 years ago on here, glad t finally came through for you

I remember you Mark... Good to see you are still around.... How have you been?

My sincerest congratulations!

It has been a long journey - it seems it was so long ago when we were discussing the many paths to citizenship. We are all very proud to have you as a fellow service member and fellow American Citizen!

Guest Bushmaster
My sincerest congratulations!

It has been a long journey - it seems it was so long ago when we were discussing the many paths to citizenship. We are all very proud to have you as a fellow service member and fellow American Citizen!

That is right, one of the reasons, I will always be proud of my member number, I am within the first 100 members... :) Yep yep our chats on citizenship... it was back in 2002! I remember it like yesterday :)

Guest C5Heavy

Bushmaster my sincere congratulations. Your hard work has paid. I remember talking to you way back. It's been 7 tough years butthe reward is for you now.

Glad to have you as a citizen soldier.

That's for you :bellydancer: