Ever bust a checkride?

Techsan

yeah dude,

i have to agree with cam on that one. at moody (which doesnt matter anymore because the fires are out now) even thinking about going out of the area was cause for hookage....

signs you hooked your ride in upt:

-your faip instructor is joking with other faip instructors about "a kill"

-you hear any variation of "my hands are tied"

-your instructor takes shots of tequila in the debrief... (witnessed that feat twice)

-you are having a good day/week and are feeling great about that particular ride

-it is your birthday

-you hear any refernce to mexican food/taco's/hot sauce

-your instructor asks, "do you even know where you are right now?" (even if you do... you will not win this argument.

at least not in a t6, in the 44 you can look the ip in the eye and say yes, right here).

-your instructor has "something going on afterwards"

-you cracked a joke/walked down the hall smiling/seemed to be enjoying yourself

-you see your IP at waffle house at 0230, drunkenly offer to buy his breakfast, he refuses, then you throw a 20 spot at him, say i wipe my A$$ with fifties!, and end up flying with him 30 hrs later...(my old roomie, not me)

peace,

RW

Add to that

-your EP says something about ok, let's get this over with

-your EP "has to go see the flight commander" (had that one)

-your EP "needs to go check the books on a couple of things"

• 1 year later...

And don't forget to add this long-endured item to the list -- the EP is an asshole. Its always that kind of EP that dishes out the most hooks. Recall back in the UPT days the chats you had with your buds.

Stud1: "Who did you get?"

Stud2: "Capt Stan Evil Jerk"

Stud1: "Sucks to be you, that guy is an asshole"

Stud2: "Yep, I'm screwed"

Out

Guest AKANGselectee

I checked with a guy for the T-1 Nav check when it was his first check. He had to go see the 217V1 regarding holding. Told me if I had been 1 more degree off I would have used the wrong holding entry method. That is letter of the law!

Guest HH-60H

I hooked my midphase contact checkride. For some reason, I couldn't get myself to descend after coming off the perch. I can't recall the specifics, but I was like only half the way to where I was supposed to be (altitude wise) at the 90, but would make it down to the runway in a reasonably "safe" fashion. The IP (EP? I don't recall that term) made me go around so he could see it again, and I did the EXACT same thing. Plus, on the go around AND the full stop I didn't put out the speed brake. Since that was a "technique" he didn't hold it against me.

The thing that really got me was the IP was so dramatic both times. He kept checking over his right shoulder because he was afraid we were level with traffic coming in from the initial. Which, IMHO as a stud at the time, was absurd...... I wasn't THAT high (or so I thought).

I don't know what the policy is these days, but when I went through UPT, flying out of the area was pretty much an automatic bust. If you flew out twice for sure, and had one that was questionable, it sounds to me like a clean kill... no offense intended. That's UPT for ya.

Cheers,

Cam

Very true on your argument. Apparently how the grading system worked was that everybody started off as an Excellent on every single graded item on a checkride, I $hit you not, plus this is the quote from the IP from my debrief. Yes I know it's sick how I remember this, "So we fly out once, strike one, downgraded to good. We fly out twice, strike two, downgraded to Fair. Fly out three times (which I still stand-by it being questionable), strike three, I'm out." Again, this is how I remember it.

Guest chaffman

Well, you guys headed to C-130s will be happy to know evaluators at the Rock are much kinder. When I gave checkrides in the FTU, you knew it was not going to be a fun debrief if I was quiet on the walk back in :M16: . Normally I would joke around. If an evaluator ever asks if you want to repeat a specific maneuver, DO IT :thumbsup: , they are trying to help you untie thier hands, really just trying to see if it was a fluke. The landing check is real quick with only 3 landings, so guys get a little nervous. I never hooked anyone :beer: . Would have if I needed too, but most EPs have a way big picture at the rock.

Edited by chaffman

I taco'd a couple flights in the FTU, but not my checkrides (knocking on wood while typing is hard!). The last one was coutesy of the chief instructor; I missed ONE WORD of the verbiage for the cabin doors one night. The devil is in the details...

Guest Boom
I taco'd a couple flights in the FTU, but not my checkrides (knocking on wood while typing is hard!). The last one was coutesy of the chief instructor; I missed ONE WORD of the verbiage for the cabin doors one night. The devil is in the details...

According to a guy in my Sq (who was a prior -10 Boom at KSUU) most -10 Booms have a Q-3 in their FEF over cargo cause of all the rules you guys have for it.

According to a guy in my Sq (who was a prior -10 Boom at KSUU) most -10 Booms have a Q-3 in their FEF over cargo cause of all the rules you guys have for it.

There's a lot of rules, but it ain't that bad - we get a cargo refresher every quarter, and each "cargo load" manages to hit nearly all the various restrictions.

The last cargo Q-3 in my shop was the boom who wouldn't/couldn't put the chain in the device correctly. The EB said "You want to try that again?" THREE times; still couldn't get it right. Worst part - it was a mission, not a checkride.

• 5 months later...
So checkrides aside, how many daily rides did you guys hook (if any)? I tasted my first taco (sts) today for the almighty ground ops. Good times.

One in tweets on the low-level check. Hooked for recovery and pattern entry. Gay

Two in -38s. One was for ground ops on my zoom and boom. The other was a solo flight where the gear didn't retract. I didn't notice until I had oversped the $hit out of it. Declare the emergency, chase ship, straight-in, gear pinned, the whole stand-up type deal. Get back to the flight room and the flight commander says, good job on the EP. You hook for overspeeding the gear. Can't really complain about that one.

One in IFF. Fragged myself several times on a solo ride to the range. Maybe I shouldn't go solo. Can't complain about that one either.

And my most embarassing unsat thus far... an instrument sim. Yep. My last sim in IFF. I had to drink for that one at the roll call, and rightfully so.

I know it sucks but don't sweat it dude. You'll get it cleaned up tomorrow and the weekend is time for drinking everything ok.

Guest C-21 Pilot

In the -21, I hooked a few guys for being unsafe. The best thing you can do, as I would tell those guys (and gals), is to keep a positive attitude and learn from your mistakes.

Always, Always follow AFI, Local, and TO guidance....know the difference between Technique and Procedure.

A Q-3 in your file isn't the end of the world...it actuallys happens more than you'd know. In fact, in the C-17, they're handed out like candy.

In fact, in the C-17, they're handed out like candy.

Great, you had to bring that up. Some of those where handed out by worthless Commanders that knew nothing about flying and were only concerned with covering their own ass (and their ass wasn't even on the line, they were just making sure).

Most notably, the fire bottle incidents!

• Upvote 1

Guest Hueypilot812
Well, you guys headed to C-130s will be happy to know evaluators at the Rock are much kinder. When I gave checkrides in the FTU, you knew it was not going to be a fun debrief if I was quiet on the walk back in :M16: . Normally I would joke around. If an evaluator ever asks if you want to repeat a specific maneuver, DO IT :thumbsup: , they are trying to help you untie thier hands, really just trying to see if it was a fluke. The landing check is real quick with only 3 landings, so guys get a little nervous. I never hooked anyone :beer: . Would have if I needed too, but most EPs have a way big picture at the rock.

Anyone going to the C-130E FTU shouldn't worry because we do have a pretty big-picture attitude on evaluations. There are people that Q-3, but it's for really stupid mistakes. There are a couple EPs that shall go unnamed that have a tendency to not have a big-picture, but we generally would not use them for checkrides, and if we were forced to, we'd put the strong students with them. Generally, fly safely, use good judgement, and like chaffman said, if we say "do it again", it's because we feel you probably could do better and we want you to prove us right.

As for my checkride history, Final Contact got me in Tweets. At Laughlin they had a procedure that required the Tweets to turn off a few degrees and fly a heading before re-intercepting the outbound radial. That was considered a "VFR" maneuver. The day I had my checkride, it was overcast, and as I was climbing out on the VFR portion of the departure, I realized I had climbed inside the 500 foot limit for VFR cloud clearances...I immediately dumped the nose to avoid going IMC, and descended to 500 feet below until the radial outbound. The rest of the checkride was great...I did everything just fine, and I was really expecting perhaps a downgrade for the gaffe on departure, but the EP gave me the "my hands are tied" talk. I got a 4U on that checkride...it would have probably been a 1 or 2E otherwise. I redeemed myself and pulled off a 0E on my instrument checkride.

I got a Q-2 once, and to many that was questionable...the new 202V3 had come out and I changed out the old with the new, but since I was in my car at the time, I just put the old in the front cover pocket of my pubs binder, and forgot it was there (even after the page count I didn't notice it). I was Q-2'd because the evaluator said I could get "confused" on which pub to reference. Again, it kept me from a really good checkride...it was my instructor pilot checkride and I probably would have gotten at least a Q-1 with excellent in the remarks. I had brought my A-game to that checkride and I thought I did a really good job...so did the evaluator, who told me my performance kept him from Q-3ing me. Whatever. Queepy stuff!!!

So checkrides aside, how many daily rides did you guys hook (if any)? I tasted my first taco (sts) today for the almighty ground ops. Good times.

I didn't hook a check, but I did hook 2 rides in 38s...both for Over-Gs. Don't worry about your hook...it's really not a big deal unless you really start racking them up. Learn from your mistake and move on.

I didn't hook a check, but I did hook 2 rides in 38s...both for Over-Gs. Don't worry about your hook...it's really not a big deal unless you really start racking them up. Learn from your mistake and move on.

I hooked one ride, ever. Tweets in 1998. Not a checkride.

Edited by HossHarris

I hooked one ride, ever. Tweets in 1998. Not a checkride.

Wow, what an articulate and informative post, Hoss! I'm so glad you were here to help everyone with your finely honed skills. :M16: I'm sure the STUD's here in this forum learned a lot!

Perhaps you could expand on this post a bit, or would you prefer to keep preforming fellatio on yourself for everyone?

Personally, I hooked Final Contact for GK and table top EP's. There are so many ways to go wrong, it's not even funny!! It always feels like a swift kick to the balls, but then again, UPT is nothing but one prolonged kick to the junk. Hang in there and remember, just keep hitting the alligator that is closest to the boat and don't look back at the dead ones, you'll be fine.

Edited by discus

Guest C-21 Pilot
Great, you had to bring that up. Some of those where handed out by worthless Commanders that knew nothing about flying and were only concerned with covering their own ass (and their ass wasn't even on the line, they were just making sure).

Most notably, the fire bottle incidents!

Fully agree...I know that the pilot (she = SB) of said Q-3, and she still talks about it (and is rightfully bitter) to this day!!

Wow, what an articulate and informative post, Hoss! I'm so glad you were here to help everyone with your finely honed skills. :M16: I'm sure the STUD's here in this forum learned a lot!

Perhaps you could expand on this post a bit, or would you prefer to keep preforming fellatio on yourself for everyone?

Personally, I hooked Final Contact for GK and table top EP's. There are so many ways to go wrong, it's not even funny!! It always feels like a swift kick to the balls, but then again, UPT is nothing but one prolonged kick to the junk. Hang in there and remember, just keep hitting the alligator that is closest to the boat and don't look back at the dead ones, you'll be fine.

Hey ... they opened up the thread to non-checkrides .... just adding a data point.

I hooked for pulling through on a 70degree nose-low recovery in tweets .... (rather than rolling wings level, then pulling).

Hey ... they opened up the thread to non-checkrides .... just adding a data point.

I hooked for pulling through on a 70degree nose-low recovery in tweets .... (rather than rolling wings level, then pulling).

There ya go! Now someone may have learned something! If I recall, learning in this game we play with our Uncle's toys, is a good thing! Have one on me, Hoss. :beer:

In fact, in the C-17, they're handed out like candy.

Same in the KC-135 world. I know, I hooked a check ride (which went great I thought) because I sat in the jump seat and my oxygen was at the Nav table (around five feet away) and thus was not readily available above 10,000ft.

Same in the KC-135 world. I know, I hooked a check ride (which went great I thought) because I sat in the jump seat and my oxygen was at the Nav table (around five feet away) and thus was not readily available above 10,000ft.

That evaluator didn't like you. That is about the most chickenshit bust I've heard of in a while (provided your O2 was in 5 feet). I think your evaluator was abused as a child.

Side note to piss off discus-

I never hooked a ride, ever. (yet, there is still time)

I just tried really hard not to suck and it worked. Although I thought I had hooked my final contact check on my first maneuver in the area. I was near the top of my block and started a cloverleaf. I punched thru the top of my area by 100 feet on the first leaf. I knew it while I was inverted, pulled power and descended for the next leaf. I just pressed and kept flying like it didn’t happen. Everything else for the entire ride went well. Walking in from the flight line I was sure the Unsat was coming, clean kill. Went in for the debrief and the EP. EP went well, but I figured I still hooked. The evaluator started filling out the grade sheet from his notes and said something like “great ride, I told you in the prebrief, I’d give you a freebie. You used it as soon as you started with the cloverleaf, however, you showed great SA by moving lower in the block on the second leaf. You got a 2 E.” So I went from a hook to a 2 E just like that. Goes to show don’t beat yourself up, keep flying the profile. You might water the evaluator’s eyes later in the ride to make up for some early buffoonery.

That evaluator didn't like you. That is about the most chickenshit bust I've heard of in a while (provided your O2 was in 5 feet). I think your evaluator was abused as a child.

Side note to piss off discus-

I never hooked a ride, ever. (yet, there is still time)

I just tried really hard not to suck and it worked. Although I thought I had hooked my final contact check on my first maneuver in the area. I was near the top of my block and started a cloverleaf. I punched thru the top of my area by 100 feet on the first leaf. I knew it while I was inverted, pulled power and descended for the next leaf. I just pressed and kept flying like it didn’t happen. Everything else for the entire ride went well. Walking in from the flight line I was sure the Unsat was coming, clean kill. Went in for the debrief and the EP. EP went well, but I figured I still hooked. The evaluator started filling out the grade sheet from his notes and said something like “great ride, I told you in the prebrief, I’d give you a freebie. You used it as soon as you started with the cloverleaf, however, you showed great SA by moving lower in the block on the second leaf. You got a 2 E.” So I went from a hook to a 2 E just like that. Goes to show don’t beat yourself up, keep flying the profile. You might water the evaluator’s eyes later in the ride to make up for some early buffoonery.

Nah, that's a good story! If you never hooked a ride, good on 'ya! As long as you include a story along with it to explain how you did it! :salut:

Anyway, as a side note, one of my buddies in my class (Sure as hell wasn't me) missed THREE questions on the exams during UPT. My jaw about hit the floor when I heard that at graduation. I knew he was good (Never hooked a ride, etc) but I never knew he was THAT good. He never said a word about it, just pushed his way through and was always willing to help other folks out. He is flying C-21's out of Germany now.