RVSM Questions

LT4Life

KC-10 is RVSM-compliant.

Actually, let me rephrase - I'm 99.69% cretain the KC-10 is, because I've never head a pilot add "negative RVSM" to an altitude request above FL320. Maybe Techsan will see this and confirm... or deny, and make me look stupid.

You are correct, sir. KC-10 RVSM compliant.

When the whole RVSM thing came to the states (2005-ish), the C-21 was non-compliant. So, we had to mission plan everything at 270 & 280. It usually depended which center you were with 1st after departure to whether or not they let you up. Our success rate was usually 80%, and the higher you request in RVSM, the more likely you were to get approved. As far as the FAA RVSM denial form goes, we filled that sucker out everytime center denied us RVSM.

Also, if we were allowed into RVSM we had to say "Josa 69, FL390, negative RVSM, DOD aircraft". You need to include 'DOD' because there are other categories of negative-RVSM aircraft that can access the airpace without the equipment suffix.

Anyone here know if the remaining C-21s in the inventory are RVSM compliant? They were modding a few jets when I was there, but not sure if they did all of them.

Guest superD
If your airplane isn't RVSM certified you aren't getting cleared to 320 in the first place.

Not true. I went up to 330 in the T-1 twice while on cross country.

So far, I've tried twice, and been given RVSM twice (yes it was at night).

Not true. I went up to 330 in the T-1 twice while on cross country.

So far, I've tried twice, and been given RVSM twice (yes it was at night).

Got the Tone up above 400 once. Just once. Nothing special.

Ran a search, this was the closest thing I could find on the subject but does anyone know if the T-1 is RVSM certified? If a T-1 is at FL320, do they need to follow the FAA directive and append "non RVSM" to each checkin with center?

thanks

sessy

The couple times I've been above 280, I have. I guess the controllers need to know so they can still provide 2,000 feet separation for you since you're an outsider! Also, according to the FAR/AIM (2008) you should attach "non rvsm" to the items below. (page 152, table 4-6-1)

Pilot will report Non-RVSM status as follows:

a. On the initial call on any frequency in the RVSM airspace and....

b. In all requests for flight level changes pertaining to flight levels within the RVSM airspace and

c. In all read backs to flight level clearances pertaining to flight levels within the RVSM airspace and

d. In read back of flight level clearances involving climb and descent through RVSM airspace (FL 290-410)

... Who is RVSM certified besides the C-17 (?) and for those of you that aren't (T-1/T-38/F-16/F-15)? what altitude do you guys go places at nowdays?

I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the question mark after the C-17 implies you're not sure if the C-17 is RVSM certified. Yes, it is, it's just not GPS approach/departure certified. We can fly GPS departures on autopilot if we back it up with "raw" navaids though. It all has to do with the database (as previously mentioned in regards to the Herc) being able to be modified by the crew. The new software for the Block 17 aircraft can be certified, they just haven't yet.