Jeep Wrangler

M2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Automatics aren't good for offraoding. Climbing, cresting, and descending 60 degree inclines requires finesse that you can't get with an automatic. I've never driven a Wrangler with an auto, but it seems like this would be the case. You'd also be apt to ride the brakes down a steep hill, depending on what the low gear in the auto is like.

Anyway, automatic transmisions are for girls.

Auto are okay of road. I had a 75 K5 Blazer that in low range and 1st gear, would climb a wall- same with the descents. Very controlled, if you got into some more technical trails, you had to drive with a foot on the gas and one on the brakes. Jeeps however should always be manual. Look in the glove compartment- I believe all automatic jeeps come with a skirt as standard issue.

Guest wilco

The Jeep has been around since WW II and they only had auto trannies starting in the late '90s. That is the reason. You also don't get those classic Jeep noises from the tranny when you are in reverse.

Get a speaker bar and detachable face CD player and take the doors off in the summer.

OK, went out and drove a couple of used Unlimiteds today. They were basically the same, both had between 21-22K on them, almost the same color (blue versus dark blue), and about the same price ~$18K. Here's my impressions...

First, call me old whatever but the auto drove a heckuva lot better than the manual. I don't know, but it seemed like I was constantly shifting the 6-speed. We took the auto off road a little and it was a lot easier to drive.

Second, the Unlimiteds drive better than I expected them to! The longer wheelbase makes a difference.

Thirdly, taking the windows off was pretty easy, as we folding back the top (the "suncatcher" option). We didn't fold the top all the way back but I took all the windows off and lowered the back window, and that took about 5-10 minutes for someone who never did that before.

Fourthly, if you want something that gets good gas mileage, don't get a Jeep! I wish these things came in turbo diesels like you can get in Europe, that would help somewhat.

Fifthly, yes, they are not cars, but they are still fun. About all I would need is a bikini top for it, and possibly those big lights for the top of the bumper. But I can see this might get expensive, as there is a lot you can do to customize a Jeep!

I am about 85% sure I am gonna pull the trigger on one. I probably won't get rid of my other car right away, I won't get much for it and I might as well get my money out of it.

Cheers! M2

I've been reading this for a while, and I guess I should chime in.

Back in October, we got a Rubicon SWB automatic. I went with the auto because I wanted a Rubicon, and all I could find was an auto when it was time to pull the trigger. I've driven both autos and manuals offroad, and the auto helps deal with the "3 foot" problem, contrantly trying to modulate the clutch, brakes, and throttle.

Personally, I find it easier to only work 2 pedals. Techinique only. Call me names of you must, I've seen an auto Rubicon (stock) go places that guys with locked lifted manual Jeeps have a very hard time going. Plus the wife doesn't complain.

B/L, get what you want and laugh at the dudes driving XTeras on the trails. I'd rather wheel with a dude in an auto Jeep than someone trying to not hurt a Nissan. :rock:

Mike

I'm with ya! I wish I could find a late model Rubicon Unlimited in an auto is tough. Nothing locally, and I really don't have time to drive one back from Cleveland. Plus they run about $3-4K more. There is one up south of Dallas, but it has almost double the mileage on it (35K vs 21K) and it is still $2K more. Plus it has the hard top, and I am not really interested in that. I am waiting to hear back from that seller, but I have already transferred the money into checking so I could buy the Unlimited I drove yesterday outright. I hate car payments, I'd rather save the money I would pay on interest.

Cheers! M2

Beaver

Too late, pulled the trigger early this afternoon...

Jeep4.jpg

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep9.jpg

Jeep15.jpg

Paid $19K and change out the door, with tax, title and all that bullshit. It's almost the same color as the old USAF staff cars, I wonder if there is some kind of Freudian connection there? Got some rubber floormats and a locking gas cap on the way home. Dropped a few basic necessities in it once I got to the house and now it is sitting out getting rained on. Weather in San Antonio sucks this weekend, upper 30s and rain. But next week will be nice, and I am sure we are in for another long, hot summer. It'll be more fun then...

Cheers! M2

Slacker

Thanks, I saw the 4WD Hardware catalog at the Jeep dealership when I was buying my TJ (technically, I think it is an LJ), and I subscribed to their forum last night. And I was already familiar with the "Jeep wave"...matter of fact, a fellow Wrangler did so as I was pulling out of the dealership on Saturday.

I am going to try and contain my spending on the Jeep, as I already have a long list of items I want to buy for my two motorcycles as well as several more guns that I would like to add to the collection. But I do have a few items I wouldn't mind getting...some auxillary lights for the front bumper and a bikini top (the VDP KoolBreeze Brief Top looks interesting). I have a bud with an Unlimited up in the Springs who has a bikini top that I might borrow, just to see how it works.

But all in all, I am digging the new Jeep! I hope we get some decent weather here soon so I can really enjoy it.

Cheers! M2

I doubt you are going to lift it...just from your previous posts, but if you do, go with the Rubicon Express ONLY. It is a little higher priced, but it is well worth it. I actually bought my jeep off of ebay, drove it for about 7 months and then sold it for more than I payed for it. Mine had a flat fender conversion on it. I really like the stuff from PoisonSpyder. There is just so much crap you can get for jeeps! I would have gone with the auto too after driving the manual(sts) all summer. It is a lot more relaxing not having to f*ck with the manual (sts). All in all...Have fun you are going to love it!

Guest Samsdog

Here's a website run by my medical supply guy that is pretty much on point with everything 4x4. It may not help you out with your decision to buy a used jeep, but some tech data may be in there.

www.4x4review.com

:beer:

Congrats...

I was going to recommend a Rubicon. What kind of axle is in the rear?

As previously mentioned jeepforum.com has a lot of info.

With a softtop you might as well leave your doors open or else you'll get your windows slashed. BTDT.

If you're planning a lift (LJ look kind of funny stock) I would recommend Full Traction, Rubicon Express, or Nth Degree. If you just want a mild lift (3-4) the most complete lift for the price is from Full Traction.

Here's my TJ with the Full Traction lift and Old Man Emu shocks. It also has a locker upfront and a limited slip in the rear.

LakeArrowhead25Mar07001.jpg

Edited by USMCAirWinger

USMCAirWinger

The Unlimited has the Dana 44 in the rear. I like your rig, I would've preferred a Rubicon but they are harder to find in the Unlimited and my desire for an auto transmission narrows the field even more. Still, I was mucking about with my Unlimited this afternoon in Culebra Creek and it did alright in stock form. I also filled the tank for the second time, so now I have good idea of my gas consumption, around 16-17 MPG with mostly highway commuting but some 4WD fun thrown in. I also rigged up some auxillary lights on the front bumper, and circumvented the fog light relay to allow them to be on with my high beams. Here are some pics of my Unlimited looking a little bit more like a Jeep (i.e. dirty)...

th_Post-CulebraCreekCrossing2.jpg th_Post-CulebraCreekCrossing1.jpg

(Click on thumbs for man-sized pic)

Cheers! M2

After my crack addiction, I moved on to free-basing Jeep. Here's mine:

Very nice CJ, skibum! I almost wouldn't want to take that beauty offroad, as she is in excellent shape!

And I am beginning to think I need a lift kit and some 33's soon to keep up with you guys!

Cheers! M2

It seems some of you are more familiar with the great of Texas then me, so I thought I would ask where the good off-roading places are around Sheppard. I bought a jeep 7 months ago and I just moved here from Little Rock, which has some awesome places for jeep adventuring. Any recommendations or links specifically for around north texas or Ok? I would be much abliged. Some of those pics make me envious...i have yet to empty the pockets for a lift or tires...I am only beginning to understand the joy of customizing my jeep. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jpilot

Just won the bid on this 2 weeks ago and am going up to test drive/buy it next weekend. Need some opinions/feedback on it-

1975 Jeep CJ5

Also, do you think the price is too much? It's really hard to tell from pictures if it's worth $2900...

Jp

Hard to say, I am no expert on the CJ5. But from the pics, it is a little banged up and I would think anything with 200K on it would go cheaper. Go check out this web site to find out if you got your money's worth.

Are you out at Randolph?

Cheers! M2