Jeep Wrangler

M2

Thinking about buying a used one...the current battlewagon (a 96 VW Passat) is showing its age and nickel-and-diming me to death lately. Have always wanted a Jeep and there is a two-year old Unlimited for sale here in town that may not be a bad deal.

Any current/previous Jeep Wrangler owners out there who have any advice, good or bad? It has a hard top with a bikini top thrown in, a manual transmission, and the 4.0L in-line six with 35K on it, ABS, A/C and a CD player. I prefer the extended rear bed and wheelbase of the Unlimited.

Cheers! M2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest elcidwill

Things to avoid when buying your Jeep from someone else:

Huge lift/spring over lift

Body rust

Mods to the engine that don't look quite "right"

Check under the carpet for any damage (rust/water)

Also check the seat brackets for rust

I am assuming this particular one is pretty stock, which would be good. If it does have a lift with big tires or whatever just make sure you take it on the highway before you buy to see if it drifts in the lane a lot.

This is a newer Jeep so it should be great. Good luck

Will

The Good : It drives like a Jeep

The Bad : It drives like a Jeep

I can't speak for the Unlimited, only CJ's and YJ's but I want one too - Probably next summer getting rid of the 4Runner and getting another Jeep.

Definately get the 6 cylinder, the 4 works but the extra gas for the 6 is worth every penny. 4WD is a must as well, even if you are only in the City, Jeep owners tend to flock to other Jeep owners who flock to trails a couple of times a year. Some every week. You'll make both those up in resale as well.

-j

Hard Tops are a waste. Unless you live in Alaska, you never need one. I've had my TJ for 5 years now and never once wished I has a hard top. Soft tops are noiser, and they probably will need to be replaced (~$700) after 8 or 9 years of normal use, but the convience of switching to topless in 45 seconds is a lot better than removing your hard top and finding a place to store it for the summer.

If you plan on taking this thing off road . . . well if you don't plan on off-roading then just don't buy one. So when you take it off road your going to want some protection. Does it have rocker guards or some other side protection? Take a look underneath and make sure the gas tank and steering box at a minimum have steel protection.

My Wrangler has almost 70K on it now and I've never had any engine or transmition problems, so a 35K ride that doesn't have any obvious signs of neglect or misuse (and you have to use that term loosly with a Jeep) should keep you happy for a long time.

I had an '87 Wrangler for a few years and I loved it. "2" to the thing about the hardtops...they are pretty much useless. But you can sell it and get a pretty nice soft top. There are plenty of accessory websites that you can use to upgrade/customize your rig. Thats the one nice thing about jeeps...you hardly see 2 that are the same.

I went 130,000 before I had to replace the engine...and the only reason i did is because I beat her up (sts) on the trails of Northern Michigan.

I laugh whenever I see "A/C" for a Jeep....always seemed useless to me (I never had it).

I've done a lot of work on my Jeep and I'm pretty familiar with them, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Guest wilco

I drove an I-6 '90 Wrangler and loved it. I treat it like a toy now. We only put it on insurance for 6 months out of the year, during the summer. If you plan on some trips or being on the interstate alot, think twice, it's not the best ride out there on that. That being said, there is nothing better than a jeep from April-September.

On a related note: nothing drives me crazy that an automatic tranny jeep. It is practically un-American. Jeeps are supposed to be manual, 4WD. You can even buy a 2WD today. That is crazy. Personally, i think they should be short wheelbase. There is nothing like the fear of rollover on a daily basis to remind you that you drive a jeep.

Edited by wilco

Thanks for the inputs. One of the only reasons I would prefer the hardtop is for the extra security. I have a tendency to go out to the gun range and would prefer that my weapons be a little more protected by something that cannot be cut open with a pen knife. I rarely leave a gun in the car, and of course I can never bring one to work as the "SF" guys hate to be outgunned by long-haired hippies like myself; but even at the range I usually only bring one long-gun in at a time, swapping them out while I am there. But being in San Antonio, I would probably use the bikini top 10 months out of the year.

I haven't heard back from the owner yet, and I obviously want to test drive it before I drop any cash on the table; but the comments here echo the ones I have heard from other Wrangler owners. And Wilco, I agree with you on everything (manual shift, 4WD) but not on the short wheelbase. I still like the thought of a little more stability from the longer Unlimited version (plus I can always brag that mine is "longer" and "unlimited!" lick.gif).

And, as the wife has a 05 Honda Odyssey, there is little chance that the Jeep will see any significant highway miles. That is just not their baliwick!

Cheers! M2

Before I bought my truck, I went through a Jeep phase where I was looking to get one. I agree with just about everything everyone else has said. In the last couple of years, the hardtops have come a long way. I test drove one on the interstate and could tell a difference in how loud it got. Obviously, make sure you carfax it (especially because of possible water damage). Good luck with it.

(BTW, I know a guy who just bought an 07 jeep, and it has power windows, and power locks, I couldn't believe it!)

I have a '99 Jeep Wrangler as a second vehicle and love it!!! Got home from Germany (where it was snowing and at every stop on the way home)on Sunday, landed, threw the top down, changed into shorts and cruised home with snow skis sticking out the back!!! Mine is a 4-cyl, 4wd, soft top that I wouldn't trade for the world. Didn't want the hard top because I live by myself and it would be a pain-in-the-ass to remove the top. I have always heard don't buy the square headlight Jeep!

Guest elcidwill

M2-

You can have your cake and eat it too regarding security with a soft top. Check out www.4wd.com, look at the lock boxes they sell to replace your glove box as well as a larger cargo type box you can bolt into the back.

Or you could find a buddy who is handy with welding and make a sweet one out of diamond plate.

Will

I've got an 05 I-6 manual and I love it. The only thing about a soft top is that it can get a bit loud on long trips but thats the only real downside.

As far as security i have trunk that you bolt to the floor behind the back seat that can only be accessed by unlocking the tailgate. Also I tend to leave mine unlocked, cause I'd rather have some one steal the crap thats in my car thats not that valuble by opening the door than stealing everything by cutting open my $800 roof...

One thing to remember with a Jeep- is they quit making them in 1986. Everything after is a Chrysler. AMC baby!

Not true sir...my '87 YJ is just as AMC as the rest of 'em... I think Chrysler started their destruction of wranglers in the mid-90s.

post-2450-1175216143_thumb.jpg

Toro

"Used to"???

Anyhow, thanks all. And 100LL, you had better get that flag off the front of your YJ before one of the fun police from MEO see it. You'll be sitting though 100 hours of sensitivity training (ala Clockwork Orange) and you will never be the same afterward.

Don't believe me, read this...

Air Force commander bans Rebel flag bumper stickers

By The Associated Press

BILOXI, Miss. — Confederate bumper stickers adorning the cars of about a dozen civilian workers at Keesler Air Force base must be removed or shielded from the public eye because they are distracting, a squadron commander says.

Employees at the base's civil engineering squadron have been ordered to park their vehicles so Rebel flag decals or tags aren't visible from the squadron building where about 300 people work.

In a meeting this week, Lt. Col. Al Trivette gave employees the choice of removing the flags, which many consider racist, or moving the cars.

Trivette did not return phone calls yesterday from the Associated Press.

The order was criticized by some workers who say they have a right to express themselves and park where they want.

"I'm not going to park where he tells me to park," said Robert L. Reed, who mounted a Rebel flag license plate on his vehicle about a year ago to oppose efforts to remove the flag from state banners in Mississippi and elsewhere in the South.

Base carpenter Mark Lerch said he and other workers who sport the flag on their vehicles must walk an extra 100 yards because of the order. Lerch said he mounted his Rebel flag license plate so he would be identified at Civil War battle re-enactments.

The commander has the authority to order the flags removed, said Belinda Bazinet, director of public affairs.

She said the base equal opportunity office did a climate assessment and found that the display of the Confederate battle flag was disrupting order and discipline in the squadron.

She said a large number of people had complained that they were bothered by the flag displays.

"Of course, there is the First Amendment, but (the commander) does have the authority to go beyond that," Bazinet.

Keesler's policy on the Rebel flag dates to 1987. It cannot be flown on base housing.

Reed and others plan to test the commander's authority.

"As far as I'm concerned, I can park anywhere in the country I want," Reed said.

Maj. David Evers, the executive officer, says employees who disobey the order will face disciplinary action. He says the base command is in touch with worker unions over the issue.

"They would not be initially fired," Evers said. "That's the harshest option."

Cheers! M2

So the First Amdendment can be nullified for civvies on-base? I thought that was for only people under the UCMJ...

The really ironic part this UCMJ/non-UCMJ problem is that people in uniform voluntarily give up some of their Constitutional rights - in order to defend the Constitution - for people who would like nothing better than to destroy it. I actually think I have more distaste for people who slowly, unconsciously let freedoms slide away underneath them as they give them up for "security". Patriot Act, anyone?

Uncle Ben said it best: "Those who would give up freedom for safety deserve neither."

Edited by The_Ginger

The guy mentioned in the article - Lt Col Trivette was a tool. He acosted a bunch of pilots from my squadron at Taco Bell for not wearing their hats during their 4 foot walk from the parking place directly in front of the door at Taco Bell. Probably one of the best lines from the exchange was Trivette-"Are you guys active duty or reservist?" Pilot from my squadron -"No, we're reservist, people like you made us quit active duty long ago." Classic.

On the Jeep note- The '87 Wrangler was an AMC product- the Chysler merger didn't happen until late 87. I guess I just associated the death of the CJ with Chysler.

Have you gone though your midlife crisis and bought a corvette yet? :thumbsup:

I guess so, but I bought a sportbike, a Honda CBR1000RR Resol edition, instead...

9Feb200613.jpg

2005_0827CBR0008_edited.jpg

Cheers! M2

Guest Tertle

That's a sweet ride! Although on of my buddies died on that exact same model. Looks like you're all geared up and safe though!

Found a nice 2005 Unlimited with only 21K on it at a decent price; but the only hook is that it is an automatic. Actually, I believe that was the standard, as 6-speeds were an option; and I may actually prefer the auto as there is a lot of stop-and-go traffic in San Antonio. Is it just a "purist's attitude" that Jeeps must have a manual transmission, or is there a real reason for it (such as the autos are junk)? Anyone have an auto?

Cheers! M2