C-5 Galaxy (Fred) info

I have some pics of this test launch that I haven't been able to find anywhere on the www. Unfortunately they are on my home computer and I won't be home for another month!

I've heard it hypothesized by a very unofficial source that the intent was to make each C-5 a "nuclear capable platform."

Numbers game...

Nevertheless, it makes Fred the most heavily armed airborne platform in the history of the AF! Booya!

I have some pics of this test launch that I haven't been able to find anywhere on the www. Unfortunately they are on my home computer and I won't be home for another month!

I've heard it hypothesized by a very unofficial source that the intent was to make each C-5 a "nuclear capable platform."

Numbers game...

Nevertheless, it makes Fred the most heavily armed airborne platform in the history of the AF! Booya!

The multiple basing concept was during the 70-early 80s. IIRC, there was concern about Russian counterforce targeting getting more accurate. During the Carter(?) administration, they researched a bunch of mobile concepts to include moving them around on railcars as well.

At any rate, pretty cool that Fred had the space to pull it off.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys missed my point, which is most likely my fault for being unclear. Trust but verify was meant to refer to the LM. And by mentoring I meant to TEACH. I went with the assumption that the MSgt Load Planner was correct and the LM was a young guy still learning his craft. In that case said MSgt should be teaching the new guy, and therefore receptive to questions as an opportunity to teach.

You're still not getting it, that's not how it works. LM has responsibility for the cargo the moment it comes off the k-loader or ramp and into the aircraft, so you better believe they're going over it, ESPECIALLY if they're getting a checkride. The onload has to be inspected before it enters the aircraft. And it wouldn't be the first time ATOC has tried to push some bullshit off on a young load out of laziness or outright deception.

ATOC has no reason to be doing any teaching to a LM...from a load-planning perspective they're actually equally qualified, load planning is a substantial part of the syllabus at the schoolhouse in Altus, and also with the quarterly CBTs and sims LMs have to do. That doesn't mean they can't help each other out, but specifically this isn't a time for 'teaching the new guy', that's the job of the other senior LM and said MSgt should be keeping his teaching to HIS guys; for example, bringing 10,000lb+ pallets out to the aircraft spun for the ADS format is completely stupid if the load plan that they came up with dictates they'll be spun 90 degrees to fit in the logistics rails. Especially if the effort they send to 'help' get the cargo on the plane is one 100lb female airman...this is something specific that I dealt with multiple times.

(This 'logistics format' is a C-17 thing, if you want two rows of pallets they have to be spun 90 degrees to fit in narrower rails, 88" wide. The omni rollers on the ramp give a lot of rolling resistance so the heavier the pallet is, it's much harder to make it move. ATOC will do this out of laziness because if they pre-format the pallets that way they can't fit as many on the k-loader and also have to manually chain them down for movement instead of being able to use the lock blocks built into the sides of the k-loader. For C-5s I think this is a moot point since I think they can fit two rows wide of pallets the 108" format.)

This isn't a pissing contest, and when a LM rejects something they better have good grounds for doing so because ATOC will be burning up the phone lines to the LM's supervision. LMs are allowed to modify the load plan as well for several reasons like ease of on/offload, etc.

It's on the LMs to not suck at their job.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on C-5M life/utilization/break rate?

I was in Rota for 4 days at the end of last month (Sandy mission delay). The M that was on jacks when we got there, was still on jacks when we left.

Disclaimer: I've heard some of the horror stories about The Insurgency, so that may not be the jet's fault...

I was in Rota for 4 days at the end of last month (Sandy mission delay). The M that was on jacks when we got there, was still on jacks when we left.

Disclaimer: I've heard some of the horror stories about The Insurgency, so that may not be the jet's fault...

see above

• 1 year later...

C-5 lost pressure over Atlantic. Diverted safely.

BEDFORD — An Air Force Lockheed C-5 Galaxy transport jet flying to Delaware from Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany lost pressurization over the Atlantic this morning, forcing the massive plane to divert to the Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee.

Lieutenant Colonel James G. Bishop, the base’s chief of public affairs, said it was unclear what caused the plane to lose pressure. The 10 crew members and 15 passengers on board were able to breathe using oxygen masks while the jet descended to a lower altitude, Bishop said.

The plane landed safely at Westover at 2:29 p.m., Bishop said. A young girl was taken to a nearby hospital with minor injuries, a spokesman said later today, but the other passengers and crew members reported no injuries.

“This is not quite routine, but this is something that happens and that we prepare for,” Bishop said in an interview. “Significantly, no in-flight emergency was declared.”

The loss of pressure happened around 11 a.m. as the jet was flying at 34,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean, on its way to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, Bishop said. Crucially, the incident did not affect the ability of pilots to control the plane’s flight.

When the incident was first reported, crews at Hanscom Air Force Base in Bedford and the Pease Air National Guard Base in Portsmouth, N.H. were told to prepare to possibly receive the jet. Ambulances and other emergency vehicles swarmed the runway at Hanscom, where Air Force flight surgeons were also standing by.

At Hanscom, 29 ambulances and two EMS vans that had gathered at the base in case the plane landed there drove away calmly shortly before 2:45 p.m. A reporter was not allowed onto the base.

The jet ultimately landed at Westover, which was the closest runway to its position. Westover also sports one of the longest runways on the East Coast, making it easier to land the C-5, which Bishop called one of the largest aircraft in the world.

Emergency rooms at Emerson Hospital in Concord, the Lahey Clinic Hospital in Burlington, and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston were notified of the incident.

• 2 years later...

I'm looking at a C-5 PCS IQ or ACIQ in the next couple months. 

Where is the active duty FTU? Are they all M's now?  What's the TDY rate average these days? Does the San Antonio reserve unit have any active pilot slots (total force)?

The bro consensus is: never deploy, gone a lot, wife dries her tears with Benjamin's...

Anything more I should know?

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:45 PM, HEFOE P said:

I'm looking at a C-5 PCS IQ or ACIQ in the next couple months. 

Where is the active duty FTU? Are they all M's now?  What's the TDY rate average these days? Does the San Antonio reserve unit have any active pilot slots (total force)?

The bro consensus is: never deploy, gone a lot, wife dries her tears with Benjamin's...

Anything more I should know?

school house is in Dover for now but will be moving to Kelly from what I'm told. Dover is all M's. I believe Travis is as well. Kelly has started to get a few. No clue about AD slots there. I loved it AD, still doing it Reserves. I wouldn't quite say gone a lot. Way less than all the other AMC airframes (minus the C-21)

On 9/25/2016 at 7:39 AM, HEFOE P said:

Oh ok thanks for the input, tunes. Sounds like a great gig. 

Does your reserve unit have active pilots flying with you?

We can't all be C-21's :aviator: Somebody's gotta do real work. 

AD owns the airplanes but we fly them also. We do intermix crews. Two separate squadrons at Dover though.

• Upvote 1

Are Fred destinations usually the same locations?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes as long as the airfield meets the following requirements:
Runway length (unless waived)
Runway width (unless waived)
Runway weight capacity (unless waived)
And finally with a 5 star hotel within 7 miles (unless waived)

Feed the troll, feed the troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk