C-5 Galaxy (Fred) info

Judging by our inbound list, that seems to still be true. We've been getting about a half dozen new guys from UPT in the squadron every year for the past few years. 2 active duty squadrons, 12-18 C-5s a year makes one every few classes.

Looks like I'm headed to Dover. Don't start FTU until early FY13 (Nov 2012 at the very earliest) so I don't expect to be at Dover until Spring/Summer of 2013. Looking forward to flying the M.

Tunes, sending a PM your way.

-Ego

replied

• 4 months later...

Are the M models only at Dover?

Yes Dover is all M models but there is a B out in the system that has the Dover tail flash on it, it was the last B to leave Dover.

it went really well on our end. The M model is really changing the game in terms of C5 movement. Only problems we really had were with TACC...but thats pretty typical.

Nothing sadder to see a M empty flying somewhere just for crew rest. Why are Loadmasters getting check rides in the AOR, taking 6 hours which only should take a hour Mogging out a ramp putting others in a holding pattern, I'm getting to the point I hate the sight of that damn plane.

Prosuper- from a former Prosuper...

If you don't have an aircrew stage and cargo ready to either head one way or another- jets fly full of sailboat fuel to the hotel. Checkrides in the AOR often don't come up as a reason for a delay. The old issue was evaluators not rolling up their sleeves and helping with the downloads and uploads. I think that was put to bed about 5 years ago. Of course, unless, like all bad ideas, it has resurrected.

Either way would be a management or leadership issue.

Every ride is a checkride, if anything goes amiss... Just like every repair action can be a DSV or a thinning out of your 623s.

It's great they hung decent 1980s motors on a jet w/ 1970s reliability, finally.

Why are Loadmasters getting check rides in the AOR, taking 6 hours which only should take a hour Mogging out a ramp...

If the majority of FRED's work is to/from/in the AOR, where would you suggest the loads get their checkrides done? Even in my jet, 2 pallets of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong does not a checkride make, and we carry a far-smaller variety of stuff than what FRED is capable of.

IIRC, 3+15 is the AMC-standard turn time for FRED. If they can do it in an hour, great. If not, they've got up to 3+15 to get it done (unless of course it's scheduled otherwise in GDSS). If an EL is taking 6hrs to eval an offload/onload, something is wrong. I know in my SQ, an EB will not allow a cargo check to MOG out a ramp; if the BO getting checked is dicking the dog that badly, the checkride is over and he/she will end up a pallet pusher. Makes for an uncomfortable debrief...

edit: wurds r hardd 2 spel

Edited by JarheadBoom

Prosuper- from a former Prosuper...

If you don't have an aircrew stage and cargo ready to either head one way or another- jets fly full of sailboat fuel to the hotel. Checkrides in the AOR often don't come up as a reason for a delay. The old issue was evaluators not rolling up their sleeves and helping with the downloads and uploads. I think that was put to bed about 5 years ago. Of course, unless, like all bad ideas, it has resurrected.

Either way would be a management or leadership issue.

Every ride is a checkride, if anything goes amiss... Just like every repair action can be a DSV or a thinning out of your 623s.

It's great they hung decent 1980s motors on a jet w/ 1970s reliability, finally.

Got a Sierra hotel ATOC here that have everything ready to go before any grey tail shows up, of course everything goes to crap when a SRA load questions everything the MSgt loadplanner hands him. It is getting preferable just to tender stuff out and let Ivan the crazy IL-76 pilot have it with no questions asked and a whole lot cheaper.

Edited by Prosuper

If the majority of FRED's work is to/from/in the AOR, where would you suggest the loads get their checkrides done? Even in my jet, 2 pallets of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong does not a checkride make, and we carry a far-smaller variety of stuff than what FRED is capable of.

IIRC, 3+15 is the AMC-standard turn time for FRED. If they can do it in an hour, great. If not, they've got up to 3+15 to get it done (unless of course it's scheduled otherwise in GDSS). If an EL is taking 6hrs to eval an offload/onload, something is wrong. I know in my SQ, an EB will not allow a cargo check to MOG out a ramp; if the BO getting checked is dicking the dog that badly, the checkride is over and he/she will end up a pallet pusher. Makes for an uncomfortable debrief...

edit: wurds r hardd 2 spel

Just trying to be logical but would you want your load or any crew position to be up to snuff before he got to the AOR than find out you have a problem down range? Lately been getting a deer in the headlights response when we tell them we have a upload of Blackhawks.

You've got a good source on many things FRED, then, but I think he got out of the game before SuperFRED came online. The M is great and has been a vast improvement, but there are several problems: Lockheed has been in no hurry to turn out jets, so we're way over timeline, because we have so few jets, TACC hasn't figured out how to properly utilize us, and at the end of the day there is still a C-5 before the M.

Now since you mention Blackhawks and less than stellar crews, I have a feeling you were recently dealing with a certain corner of our community who already doesn't have a good reputation with many. Hopefully it wasn't our guys, because as the new jets are delivered there's a huge push to break the bad C-5 stereotype that has taken 45 years build. It's a real uphill battle.

Got a Sierra hotel ATOC here that have everything ready to go before any grey tail shows up, of course everything goes to crap when a SRA load questions everything the MSgt loadplanner hands him. It is getting preferable just to tender stuff out and let Ivan the crazy IL-76 pilot have it with no questions asked and a whole lot cheaper.

Because when that load plan is wrong, and that SrA Load or Boom take the cargo and aircraft in that condition, it's their Q-3 and asschewing, not the ATOC team. So deal with the questions, because it's their right to question the load plan.

• Upvote 4

So deal with the questions, because it's their right to question the load plan.

Trust but verify. On the other hand if that Load Planner is experienced and a SNCO he should be mentoring and teaching said young loadmaster, everyone starts at square one. An us vs them mindset is not helpful in any way.

Got a Sierra hotel ATOC here that have everything ready to go before any grey tail shows up, of course everything goes to crap when a SRA load questions everything the MSgt loadplanner hands him.

C'mon, you've been around long enough to know that rank does not always equal intelligence or competence.

If the ATOC MSgt hands the SrA LM a pile of shit for a load plan, the SrA is not only expected but OBLIGATED to question it, and if it's bad enough, reject it.

Just trying to be logical but would you want your load or any crew position to be up to snuff before he got to the AOR than find out you have a problem down range?

In my SQ, it's an unwritten rule to ask for opportune cargo wherever we stop (as long as it's compatible with whatever the primary mission is), for both training and currency. I've stopped counting the number of times I've passed through non-AOR bases and asked about opportune cargo, only to be told that what they had went on the 747 that taxied out as we taxied in.

If there's not enough non-AOR cargo to support mission-ready training, then AOR runs have to be used for that training. End of story.

/threadjack

Trust but verify. On the other hand if that Load Planner is experienced and a SNCO he should be mentoring and teaching said young loadmaster, everyone starts at square one. An us vs them mindset is not helpful in any way.

It doesn't matter if the load planner is an O-6...the possibly A1C Load is ultimately responsible for the back. If he's MR, he should know his shit well enough to call said O-6 out with no doubt in his mind.

Edited by day man

When you were a young AC were you "mentored" by a Pro Super over a write up in the forms that you were suspect about? Did you just take the aircraft anyway?

Edited by Azimuth

When you were a young AC were you "mentored" by a Pro Super over a write up in the forms that you were suspect about? Did you just take the aircraft anyway?

You guys missed my point, which is most likely my fault for being unclear. Trust but verify was meant to refer to the LM. And by mentoring I meant to TEACH. I went with the assumption that the MSgt Load Planner was correct and the LM was a young guy still learning his craft. In that case said MSgt should be teaching the new guy, and therefore receptive to questions as an opportunity to teach.

I've been suspect of write ups before (who hasn't) I asked the question and then on occasion, yes the crew chief/Pro Sup mentored me by showing me his TOs and explained what was actually happening and why the write up was the way it was. Sometimes I was right, sometimes I was not. In either case I learned and so did my maintainers, and as long as I approached it in the correct manner that dialoge actually improved our relationship.

Edited by busdriver

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching "Great Planes",the non-Max Moga version, and the episode was about the B-1. Anyway, they had a quick clip in there of a minute-man being loaded into the back of a C-5. Apparently there was a plan to launch that sucker out of the back of the Galaxy. While it never came to be, that is still pretty bad ass. :rock: Any old C-5 dudes have any experience/stories behind this?

Edited by b52gator

So I was watching "Great Planes",the non-Max Moga version, and the episode was about the B-1. Anyway, they had a quick clip in there of a minute-man being loaded into the back of a C-5. Apparently there was a plan to launch that sucker out of the back of the Galaxy. While it never came to be, that is still pretty bad ass. :rock: Any old C-5 dudes have any experience/stories behind this?

Actually, it did come to pass. Check this youtube out about 30 seconds in...

Cheers.