Headset questions

Guest Jetjock19

If you guys go to Incirlik try Pops Leather down in the alley for a headset comfort kit or order them online.

http://www.popsleath...f16-13724013674

I just got my set and they are OK for the price. The ear pieces are comfy but don't block out sound that well which is important on a real aircraft. The top piece can only fit certain sizes and it didn't fit my DC H10-76XL. The top piece isn't very thick either.

The oregonaero kit is much more expensive but worth the money I think.

http://www.oregonaero.com/headset-upgrades/headset-upgrade-kits

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: for the H10-76XL... it's suppose to be an ENC model, but everything in the manual shows an additional 9V attachment with an on/off switch to activate the ENC. The only thing my headset came with was the duel plug adapter to plug into the plane. Does that also power the ENC? I haven't used them yet.. so just wondering until I finally get to fly again

Question: for the H10-76XL... it's suppose to be an ENC model, but everything in the manual shows an additional 9V attachment with an on/off switch to activate the ENC. The only thing my headset came with was the duel plug adapter to plug into the plane. Does that also power the ENC? I haven't used them yet.. so just wondering until I finally get to fly again

Sounds like you have the H10-XP, which is the same model as the XL, but plane powered. I'm assuming you're a Herk driver because of your screen name, so that headset won't work for you if that is the case. I have a pair of the XLs, and they're not that great...

• 1 month later...

How many hours can you get out of the David Clark 13.4s? I am looking at a few used pairs that range from "10-20 uses" to "300 hours." I will use them for about 20 hours on the civilian side and possibly IFS (want to avoid other people's sweaty headsets).

How many hours can you get out of the David Clark 13.4s? I am looking at a few used pairs that range from "10-20 uses" to "300 hours." I will use them for about 20 hours on the civilian side and possibly IFS (want to avoid other people's sweaty headsets).

They will last a long, long time with proper care. You will probably have to replace the gel ear cups after about 300hrs (that's how long mine lasted- $30), maybe replace the mic wind fuzzy thing ($10), and if anything else is wrong, I understand they have a 5 year warranty. I ended up selling mine for a higher end headset before I got to test the warranty though.

They will last a long, long time with proper care. You will probably have to replace the gel ear cups after about 300hrs (that's how long mine lasted- $30), maybe replace the mic wind fuzzy thing ($10), and if anything else is wrong, I understand they have a 5 year warranty. I ended up selling mine for a higher end headset before I got to test the warranty though.

Do I order the replacements and change them out myself or do I send them to the manufacturer?

Good plan.

I assume I can clean them well if they belong to me, no?

I have a set of DC that is 20 years old and still working great. I sent them to the passenger status and got 13.4's and they were a nice set but I finaly broke down and bought a set of LS Zulu's for the ability to bluetooth and I the overall comfort. I have not regretted the $$ spent at all. I wish I has just bought them in the first place veresus the 13.4's.

• 11 months later...

Any C-130 folks using the A-20s? My DC's are about to kick the bucket and thinking about making a change.

Yep, love them. Squadron issued them a year or so ago. Much more durable than the other Bose ones (Aviation X?)

• 3 months later...

Thread Revival

The squadron I am in issues Peltors. After a year or so, my volume knob became very finicky. This started to really annoy me so I switched back to my trusty DCs.

What are other squadrons issuing these days? Still Bose and DCs for the most part? Anyone have Lightspeed or other brand Mil headsets that they would recommend?

Anyone have Lightspeed or other brand Mil headsets that they would recommend?

Clarity Aloft, or as a cheaper alternative, Halo. Both are in-the-ear style and allow you to wear sunglasses & ballcaps without any interference. Not equpped with a single mil plug, but you can buy an adapter on the cheap. Absolutely love 'em.

I've been considering the CA but was worried that the tanker cockpit may be a bit too noisy for it. Do you think it would seal out enough noise or should I look at LS Zulu's?

I've flown with the CA in some pretty noisy GA planes. It actually blocks out the noise really well. I like the ANR my Bose a little better, but the nice thing about the CA is that it's light and very easy to wear for a long time. Until I got the Oregon Aero comfort kit for the Bose it started to hurt after a few hours. Still don't like it much after 8-9 hours, but it is much better now.

• 1 year later...

Started flying with the Dave Clark Pro X last month in the 737. Same front end as the 727 so lots of air rush noise over jet at speeds above 290-ish or .78-ish. Very lightweight, excellent noise reduction. Just replaced my first set of batteries after 50 or so hours of flying. Switches in the battery pack for Stereo/Mono and Auto Off (turns headset off after 5 minutes of no use and unplugged. Headset also has Bluetooth so great for pairing to phone or iPad for books/music/calls.

Started flying with the Dave Clark Pro X last month in the 737. Same front end as the 727 so lots of air rush noise over jet at speeds above 290-ish or .78-ish. Very lightweight, excellent noise reduction. Just replaced my first set of batteries after 50 or so hours of flying. Switches in the battery pack for Stereo/Mono and Auto Off (turns headset off after 5 minutes of no use and unplugged. Headset also has Bluetooth so great for pairing to phone or iPad for books/music/calls.

I feel like I don't even know you anymore.
  • Upvote 1