IFS (Initial Flight Screening) information

Guest ilikefood

Guest wildblue
Not true. This is supposed to be a zero hour program, but its not. You will be behind the power curve if you have 0 hours. Will you pass the program with no prior time, sure, many have done it. Would 10 hours boost your confidence and help you learn more while your there, you bet. Do yourself a favor get at least 10 hours or, at minimum, land a plane. Don't take my word for it. Read the other IFS threads and Riddller's Blog (the gold standard in IFS gouge, thanks man!).

2... that's what I meant by "a few hours". But I've heard guys say not to worry about cramming in 30+ hours prior to IFS.

(Remember, don't listen to me as I haven't been to Pueblo yet.)

I've been flying a DA-20 in my free time. So far 5 hours. I leave in 3 weeks for Pueblo. After 1 flight in the area and 3 pattern flights, I can say that I feel leaps and bounds ahead of where I would have been without it. Even if for no other reason than to go to Pueblo knowing where the throttle, fuel shutoff valve and cabin heat lever are located. Landing the diamond is a little strange too just because the thing floats so damn much (11:1 glide ratio) so it's nice to get 10-15 landings in just so you have that much of a leg up at pueblo. 700 bucks well spent.

This might be a stupid question but i haven't seen it addressed anywhere else..

Do you get flight pay while at IFS and UPT or not until you make it through UPT?

Nope you do not get flight pay at IFS, but you do start receiving it as soon as you hit the flight line in phase 2.

Also, are most people showing up with flight gear in hand or do most get their gear in Pueblo? My local IEU told me to go # sand...

Also, are most people showing up with flight gear in hand or do most get their gear in Pueblo? My local IEU told me to go # sand...

Yeah, I think we're supposed to show up with flight suits gloves and boots. Are you on casual? Your squadron should cover those expenses, although you might be in a different situation.

Print off your required items list and take them to your supervisor, see if they can help.

Don't worry about bags, gloves, etc. If your casual base will give them to you then great, if not don't worry about it. IFS will provide you with 2 flightsuits, one pair of gloves, one flight jacket, and all of the patches/nametags that you need. Just show up with blues and your boots and you should be good to go.

My casual base was a UPT base and they refused to issue us any gear and told us to get our gear when we got out there.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you that drove to Pueblo. Did you get there the day before your inprocess date or did you just drive there ON your inprocess date. I know the website says report no EARLIER than 1000. So I guess as long as you weren't too far away, you could make that drive same day.

For those of you that drove to Pueblo. Did you get there the day before your inprocess date or did you just drive there ON your inprocess date. I know the website says report no EARLIER than 1000. So I guess as long as you weren't too far away, you could make that drive same day.

Just remember, you have to show up in blues...you can't show up in civvies then ask to change. Me and my buddy are driving there and just staying the night in C Springs the night before we have to be there.

So far everybody I've talked too who's come back from IFS has been so cynical about the whole experience. What makes it so bad? Other than not flying..I'm not flying now.

It's not bad. I'm here now and you have the normal people that no matter the situation will find something to bitch about. You will fly basically everyday unless weather is bad. It is set up a lot like UPT. From the morning brief, to the stand-up, EPQs, formal release, ect... Suck it up, and like it. The DA-20 is a fun plane to fly and it is way better then hanging out on casual. They are talking about flying again this Saturday and the whining and gripping has already began. I swear some of these guys could be dying of thirst and you would give them a glass of water and they would bitch that it was warm.

Guest illinisteve
just a quick question that hopefully doesnt throw anymoer fuel on the fire. does anyone know the amount of flying time the guys washing out have had. i understand its a 0 hour program, but im sure everyone would like to know if having 40 hours before you get there helps, 5-6 grand in lessons seems a small price to pay for helping to achieve a goal of going to upt.

Most people who washed out of my class did so because they were not able to land "safely." While I can't be 100% sure exactly what each person had a problem with, that basically means they landed too hard, too far off centerline, angled, too far down the runway, or any combination of those things. As you may know, most people do make it through, and most do not have many, or any, hours. For example, I had none and didn't have a problem (except for one, uh, "little" incident :thumbsup: ) along with a lot of people in my class. However, those that did fail out also had few or no hours--if they did, they may have figured out the landings a little easier. So, to each his own.

• 1 month later...

Would it be beneficial to bring our logbooks? Mine is at my mom's house for some reason and I'll need her to send it if I'll need it. I don't mind keeping track of my hours on a piece of paper or something, but I didn't know if the IPs gave any endorsements or anything.

Would it be beneficial to bring our logbooks? Mine is at my mom's house for some reason and I'll need her to send it if I'll need it. I don't mind keeping track of my hours on a piece of paper or something, but I didn't know if the IPs gave any endorsements or anything.

They told us it doesn't matter either way, but there are a lot of us that did bring them and log the hours.

• 2 weeks later...

BADFNZ is right...this is supposed to be a zero hour course, and esentially it is, the issue is that they pretty much just present you the material not "teach" it. Before you get here if you can go through ground school and possibly get a few hours (especially in a DA-20) that would help for sure. They give you the standard AETC time management/prioritization puzzle here. If it were just general aviation this course would be a piece of cake. The military has stepped in and imposed just enough rules and lingo to make it difficult for most. If you want it bad enough anyone can get through here, hands down, attitude is everything.

Oh yeah, class 08-12 65 total students 47 total navs/wsos. There had been only 38 total navs/wsos to date.

• 2 months later...

Yeah... Doss went super security. No more public internet checklists or manuals. They are issuing computers now that are nothing more than over powered e-books. No more hard copies of ANYTHING. All manuals are on their intranet which can only be accessed from the Doss CPUs. You can't email attachments out of them to protect IP. You can't put thumb drives in them... oh yeah and no more student drive. No more sharing gouge electronically.

Overall thought this seems like a pretty good program. But almost EVERYTHING has changed from 08 to 09-01.

• 4 weeks later...

So from what I have read in this thread is that if a Pilot candidate washes out of IFS he/she is often or sometimes given the opportunity to go CSO.

What happens to the CSO trainee that washes out? Are they just pushed along to UNT as well ?

Are instructors easier on CSO trainees at IFS? If not, it doesn't seem right that a Pilot trainee washes out and gets pushed through to CSO but a CSO washes out and gets retrained in a non-rated AFSC.

Can someone that knows the process explain it?

Thanks

Edited by budderbar

• 2 months later...

I recently finished said class (that started in October) and the bottom line from the NGB is that if you're a Guard dude - you're going, PPL or not.

This is a FY 09 kind of thing, so from 1 Oct 08 on, those dudes who are going to fly for the Guard are going to go.

I have my PPL and finished early. There were some dudes who are airline pilots and no kidding finished in 3.5 weeks.

That said, there is some credence to what you wrote. There is a guy who I went through AMS with from Aug - Sept, who got his dates for UPT shortly after Patriot Challenge. He started earlier this month and because of his UPT start date, didn't have time to go to IFS and thus didn't go. You're seeing cases like that because for whatever reason, the officer was scheduled for UPT with not a lot of time between commissioning and UPT.

Regarding IFS - in my view, going and doing it is a good thing. Big Blue wanted a standard way to screen and expose pilot candidates to what we've got coming for us and they've certainly done it. What you'll see there is as close to a mini-UPT as they can create. There are very demanding hours and instructors, formal release, academics, PT, etc, just like you'd read in a UPT blog. You get used to Air Force procedures and terms also, from flying a military pattern to referencing an In Flight Guide and a mission data card, to staying on altitude and on airspeed. I've learned what flying "precisely" means and I know I've only scratched the surface. The IP's and the curriculum at IFS will definitely make you better and will certainly prep you well to go to UPT. You'll learn the importance of trim...and TECHNIQUE...and will be a better pilot candidate for it.

• 2 months later...

What are people's thoughts on driving to Pueblo instead of flying? Is there any benefit to having a vehicle while you are there? It looks like I will start IFS at the end of May.

Edited by ATC

What are people's thoughts on driving to Pueblo instead of flying? Is there any benefit to having a vehicle while you are there? It looks like I will start IFS at the end of May.

Definitely drive if you can. It's really nice to have a car out there though usually quite a few people have cars out there also that you can hitch rides with. Just nice to have the freedom to go when and where you want.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this should go in the TDY pay thread, but since it is specific to IFS I thought it should go here...

Has anyone driven out to the new 4 week program? I am being told at my base that we will only get 1 official travel day, and the rest of the travel time will be given as permissive leave. However, I have not gotten a straight answer on how this will affect getting paid on the travel voucher. I have been told that we will be reimbursed up to the cost of the plane ticket it would've costed.

However, I am also being told that we will not be reimbursed for mileage on the permissive days. i.e. I would only get paid mileage for the one official travel day. I have also been told to keep receipts from lodging and gas so that I will be reimbursed for that. I am curious as to how the travel voucher will be processed, and if gas/lodging from the permissive days will be reimbursed as well. Also, I'm guessing that the official travel day will be the day before my IFS class starts. If that is so, it could influence where I am making my stops, so to make that day of driving further to get more mileage paid.

Any help/clarification on this would be greatly appreciated! Thx

What base are you coming from? They are doing a "cost comparison" and probably determined that it's more advantageous to the Man for you to fly. You can still drive and you shouldn't be charged leave, but you will not be reimbursed for more than the comparable flight itinerary, which should include one day of travel, plus airline mileage, plus ticket cost. This is usually itemized when your voucher is processed.

You'll probably still come out on top if you drive, but lodging/gas/etc. for those permissive days is not going to be reimbursed.

From CAFB they are saying we get 1 day official travel and 3 days permissive. Staying with buds along the way/way back is gonna help, instead of paying lodging costs out of pocket, but how exactly they are paying the mileage to us isn't quite clarified. As in, if I'm going to Albuquerque in the 3 permissive days, and then driving up from Albuquerque to Pueblo on the day before IFS begins, will they end up paying mileage only for that leg of the trip, or will mileage be from CAFB to Pueblo.

It makes a difference in how I'll end up spacing the trip out, and whether or not I will even have claims up to the cost of the plane ticket. If they are paying the full mileage, that alone is enough to bring the cost equal to the plane ticket, but if not, I might be holding on to alot of other receipts to try to get reimbursed.