IFS (Initial Flight Screening) information

Guest ilikefood

What was your pcsm? AFRC reg states below 80 goes to IFS regardless. I spoke with a civilian guy who works with AFRC for filling these slots and he says the goal is to make everyone go. The folks in the office feel it will be a good transition for anyone moving to UPT. Having never been, I'll hold my opinions until afterward and go in well prepared. Do you have a class date?

My PCSM is 93... No class dates yet, im just planning ahead. I guess it really doesnt matter. If they are going to send me then I will pack my bags with a smile on my face. I would just rather skip it if I had the option.

• 2 months later...

The reg you are looking for is AETCI 36-2205 vol 3, para. 1.1: "Pilot, RPA pilot, and CSO candidates with a private pilot certificate are exempt from IFS." It's the last sentence in the paragraph. I went through IFS as an AD Nav and am now in the Reserves going through UPT. I have my PPL and did not go to IFS again. I'm not sure whether there is a reg attached to the "below 80 PCSM scores must go"--the only place where I saw that in writing was on the memo that went out to all the units when the UPT board results were announced.

Having said all of that, I was originally slotted for IFS after getting accepted into pilot training (my PCSM was in the 70's) despite my PPL. I called the registrar at Pueblo and asked whether I really needed to go...he said that by the reg I was exempt, and that a lot of units like to send their people to IFS regardless of having a PPL so that they can get used to the military way of flying as well as getting their flying skills current. I made the case that I had already been through IFS as a nav, was working on my IFR, and was needed in my squadron to fly. He agreed completely, made one phone call to AFRC and my orders were canceled within the hour. It was one of the greatest days of my life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So I just finished up an informational "webinar" with the folks at IFT for ROTC cadets to give us a few pointers.  I was more than a little surprised when they informed us that if we had a PPL, we were not only exempt from attending, but we would in fact not even be allowed to attend.

That's concerning for someone like me, who got their PPL in high school, but hasn't flown much at all in college.  I'd really like to have the chance to go to IFT and make sure I'm up to speed with everyone going to UPT, as far as what we'll be expected to know and be able to accomplish when we show up day 1.

The questions are: Is it still possible now to get a waiver and attend IFT with a PPL? I know it used to be, but the folks there made it seem like this had changed. I'll ask my cadre as well, but I was hoping someone here would have some knowledge.

And, if I am actually not allowed to go to IFT, where can I go or what can I do to prepare myself for UPT? What should I study? What is absolutely need-to-know?

Thanks, all!

Keys to graduating UPT:

1. Have a good work ethic.
2. Don't be a douche.

I wouldn't sweat trying to go to IFS or whatever it's called now. I knew guys in UPT who went and guys who didn't (including myself) and I don't think it makes any difference. It'd be a different story if you hadn't flown before at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

In my heart of hearts I believe that IFS's greatest benefit is that it:

1. Gives LTs a chance to see if they actually like flying,
2. Gives early indication of airsickness tendencies, and
3. Gives LTs a look into the next couple of years of their lives.

Seriously, it's a DOR/SIE prevention program, with a small dash of "flying training" thrown in.

Don't sweat it.

If you have your license, go get a couple hours with a CFI to assuage your fears.

Or don't. You'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

So I just finished up an informational "webinar" with the folks at IFT for ROTC cadets to give us a few pointers.  I was more than a little surprised when they informed us that if we had a PPL, we were not only exempt from attending, but we would in fact not even be allowed to attend.
That's concerning for someone like me, who got their PPL in high school, but hasn't flown much at all in college.  I'd really like to have the chance to go to IFT and make sure I'm up to speed with everyone going to UPT, as far as what we'll be expected to know and be able to accomplish when we show up day 1.
The questions are: Is it still possible now to get a waiver and attend IFT with a PPL? I know it used to be, but the folks there made it seem like this had changed. I'll ask my cadre as well, but I was hoping someone here would have some knowledge.
And, if I am actually not allowed to go to IFT, where can I go or what can I do to prepare myself for UPT? What should I study? What is absolutely need-to-know?
Thanks, all!

If it has been a while since you got your PPL and you're not current, you can probably get a waiver to attend IFS. We did this all the time for URT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't go to screening at Hondo back in the T41 days ... the AF bought me a PPL instead. That said, if I had a ticket to UPT today, and could avoid IFS, I would. Because you CAN be eliminated from IFS and lose your ticket to the show. Why risk it?

You are asking for pain. Unnecessary, over-scripted, high threat (dialed back in the past few years, but nonetheless) pain. Why?
Why are you getting into flying? Ego? Family pressure? Is Fun anywhere in the calculus? My recommendation: don't sweat UPT. Attitude is everything in that program. Every SIE or 89 elimination that I remember came down to attitude. My own ups and downs came down to attitude.
Want to knock some of your flying rust off as a form of anxiety therapy? Do some fun learning. Good ideas:
-get a Glider add on
-tail wheel endorsement
-upset training/acro lessons
-local checkout to take the girlfriend for a sunset flight

You're going to spend the next several years getting nut punched and occasionally asking if this is still fun. You are literally asking to practice your anxiety.
Don't: get an instrument ticket or commercial training (see above)

Coming from the guy that had all his ratings going in, and thankfully missed the IFT paintrain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 10/27/2016 at 4:42 PM, Walkonby said:

Thanks, all!

There are a lot of really experienced folks here commenting with more authority on the subject than I can give. With that said, I'm currently in Phase 3 so figured I'd share my take so take it for what it's worth. Like others have mentioned, I don't think you miss anything by going to IFT. In fact, there is a lot of downside to include:

1) exposing yourself to needless elimination. This happened to a buddy of mine who I thought would have had no problem getting through T6s, really sharp guy with a good attitude and apparently decent flying ability who just ran into some bad luck on a few consecutive rides in Pueblo. Poof - pilot slot gone in an instant flying a composite-airframe lawnmower. 

2) Having to endure what is effectively a giant fraternity haze (aka the "kick in the nuts" people talk about) for longer than you need to...you will get plenty of it in T6s (and T38s if you go that route). You would rather show up fresh to T6s ready to kick ass than risk getting all burnt out early. Like others have said attitude is so much of the game...

3) delaying your training by getting stuck in "waiting for orders" land. Some of these guys sit on casual waiting for months to go, when all you have to do is show up to UPT and start the grind with your PPL. Along those same lines, any sort of injury (for example having too much of a party with your pals in Pueblo and getting hurt) exposes you to even more delays in your training. It can happen in UPT as well, but why risk it with yet another opportunity in the pipeline to get set back.

Really the only thing you might get from the IFT experience based on what I heard from my classmates who went is the procedural stuff (learning to recite bold face or do stand up in front of a crowd, getting up at 5AM to do formal brief, reporting to fly, MATL, etc...) But you will learn all of that in your first week in T6s anyways! That's what happened to me and I didn't feel behind because of not going to IFT. Don't get me wrong, I could still flop on the rocks as I finish up UPT but my guess is if I wash out now it will have nothing to do with not getting to go to IFT. If you are really concerned about being uncurrent, why not go do a BFR to freshen up? Or better yet, hop in a pitts special with a crusty old flier down at your local grass strip and spool up that inner ear fluid in preparation for T6s! In all honesty, IFT or not, unless you have prior HP or turbine time you will likely have the same learning curve as your buddies coming in from IFT.

Anyway that's my completely unqualified 2 cts...feel free to PM if you have any questions about my experience. I'm a guard guy with a PPL, did no go to IFT, did not feel behind or unprivileged because of it.  YMMV

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What has been said above is gold. Get the cheep beer for the next couple weeks of college and go do a couple rides with a CFI if you are that worried. Or spend that cash and get the bud light. IFS will MAYBE help you on day 1 of stand up because you have seen it before. After that it's just about a level playing field for everyone. Attitude, study habits, motivation, god given talents and luck/timing will decide the rest. IFS is just another opportunity to get yourself kicked out before you even get there. 

• 3 months later...

I was curious if anyone on this thread had any advice for me, I was recently selected to be an RPA pilot.  I don't yet hold a PPL however I am only a cross country and a check ride away from getting it.  I know that if I finish it I am not allowed to go to IFT.  Is it worth finishing up now and skipping IFT and going straight into URT or should I wait to finish it 

I would finish it if I were you. I'm in the same boat essentially and am finishing my PPL so as to not have to deal with another unnecessary nut roll.

Background: Current CSO, future RPA pilot, did previous PPL flying 9 years ago. Still worth it to try to shake off the rust and finish the PPL.

For you, if you've been flying recently, total no-brainer just to press through the checkride and be done with it.

Edited by nsplayr

IFS is a miserable time. I guess its a little more low stress now but still unfavorable. Its another place that you can get kicked out of, might as well avoid it. In complete honesty, I would avoid it solely for not having to basically live in a building with no windows for 6 weeks, and the food was mediocre at best. Also, you will have a check ride to accomplish if you go because IFS does not give you a PPL for the training. 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I just recently got my PPL and got a pilot slot and I've been hearing a lot about civilian flight training vs military flight training and want to make sure I'll be up to speed come UPT. Is there anything I can do to adapt? I've heard the patterns, procedures, radio comms, and more are all very different. Does anyone have any insight on this or are the differences not as big as I've heard?

Don't sweat it man. There's no intent for you to show up to UPT "up to speed." Just don't be the guy that shows up and says "well during my PPL flying we did it this way"...that is where you'll get in trouble.

There are differences in military and civilian procedures, but aerodynamics don't change. Take the limited stick and rudder experience you have and build on it. The procedural differences will be easy to transition, especially because you've only got 50-60 hours of flying

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...