Standard Interview Questions

Guest G_Man81

Just got my UPT position August 2008!! I couldnt have done it without this site. So I just registered to contribute...this is my 1st post.

Questions that I was asked....(not in specific order)

-where do you see yourself in 5 years? in 10 years?

-what are your strengths? your weaknesses?

-on a scale of 1-10, how qualified do you think for this job? (SAY 10!!!!!!!! please. You want to pause, and say it like you mean it with confidence!!) this is your position isnt it? you better sound like it is!!!

-tell us a conflict that you have encountered, and how did you deal with it?

-why this unit? why this aircraft?

-what do you do for fun? (this was toward the end of the interview...i said golf, guitar, fishing)

-whats your golf handicap?

-what kind of guitars do you own? (the purpose of these questions? do we want to fly with the damn guy? or is he lame.) in my opinion.

-why should we send you to upt?

-what qualifications or technical training do you have for this job?

-what qualities of a leader do you posess? or what kind of qualities do you look for in a leader?

-what will you do if you don't get this job? (i said continue flying, as I am a pilot...is flying really your passion? it better be)

-would you like some water? say yes sir, thank you

That's pretty much it. It was stated, for me to answer the question completely as there are sometimes 2-3 questions in one. NOTES: Body language counts more than words, like it or not. Remember posture, fire in your eyes, smile, speak articulate, and CONFIDENT! Practice your responses to all the questions you find on the forum...but when its interview time, make it sound natural. Pause before each answer. Remember, this is your position...make sure and act like it...but not too cocky. Also, they are thinking the whole time, do we want to fly with this guy?

I hope this helps. Good luck!

- Give us two of your best qualities and two of your worst/most need to improve qualities.

If I were to answer this question truthfully, which I try to do, I'd have to say that one of my worst qualities is how well, in my case, poorly, I take criticism, like in a debrief with my CFI. If you raised your eyebrows at my last sentence, I'd have to imagine that the pilots on the selection board would as well, seeing as how an ability to take (constructive) criticism is a key part of UPT.

My question is, do I really tell what I need to improve most? Can it be done without shooting yourself in the foot? Sounds like a no-win situation.

Edited for: stupidity

Edited by Port Dog

If I were to answer this question truthfully, which I try to do, I'd have to say that one of my worst qualities is how well, in my case, poorly, I take criticism, like in a debrief with my CFI. If you raised your eyebrows at my last sentence, I'd have to imagine that the pilots on the selection board would as well, seeing as how an ability to take (constructive) criticism is a key part of UPT.

My question is, do I really tell what I need to improve most? Can it be done without shooting yourself in the foot? Sounds like a no-win situation.

Edited for: stupidity

There are ways you can turn this question around. For example:

"l like to get things done, be the best and win. I'm a Type A personality. Some times I can be very demanding with people who do not work as hard as me."

There, you just said you were a hard worker (emphasis) who sometimes gets impatient with people who aren't.

Guest G_Man81

PS I jsut thought of more more question...Tell us what you know about UPT training and the different phases? (Know all aircraft you will be flying there. ex T-6 Texan then T-1 Jayhawk, Survival School land and water, then 4 months on the KC-135)

• 4 months later...
Guest srvmcm

Be sure to let it be known how you feel about the unit. Are you applying around? Are you set on one unit? I chose the latter approach and it worked the first time. Timing, perhaps? Luck? Maybe it was just a good decision...

• 2 months later...

Air Guard F-16 alert unit

• "Tell us about yourself?"
  • "How do you feel about maybe having to kill people?"
  • "How do you feel about the possibility of having to shoot down a civilian airliner?"
  • "Which is more important, being an officer or a pilot?"
  • "Make me believe your not going to quit or washout"
  • "Why you over the other candidates?"
  • "If your dog was drowning and a complete stranger was drowning, who would you save if you could only save one?"
  • "My biggest failure"
  • "Why the F-16?"
  • "What do you know about our mission both stateside and overseas?"
  • "How are you a leader?"

There were a couple more of the "standard" questions and maybe some others that I'm forgetting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A-10 unit...

Most of what has been posted was asked...but there was a good one asked on the board..

"tell us what you think the attributes of an A-10 pilot are, and how and why you exhibit these"

-summers

....and flopping your balls on the table may not be the best idea to answer this question...

Air Guard F-16 alert unit

• "If your dog was drowning and a complete stranger was drowning, who would you save if you could only save one?"

Wow, this is a tough one. Not enough information to really answer it honestly. Male? Female? Hot? Not?

One of my Labs can't swim, but he is blind.

• 1 month later...

Just interviewed for a nav position in a C-130 unit.

What was your favorite class in college and why?

What was your least favorite class and why?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? (I failed this question because I was so focused on trying to show the unit that I have a plan in life that will not keep me as a bum and I forgot to mention where the ANG and squadron fit into my plan which was pointed out by the members of the board. :banghead: )

Why the C-130? What is our mission?

What will happen if we do not select you?

Do you have a PPL, certifications or flight experience?

What is reenacting? (Yeah I am one of those guys who dresses up for history's sake.)

Are you sure you don't want to join the Army?

How would you describe yourself using only one word?

These questions really got me:

Why are you not looking at the C-130 units in Louisville, St. Joseph, Nashville and Minneapolis?

How do you feel about dying when, not if, the enemy gets that lucky shot?

Why didn't you take more math classes in college? (I only took three which were all basic algebra type classes.)

The question was followed by the Chief Nav giving me a pencil and paper and quizzing me with about six or seven word problems and basic addition, subtraction stuff. (I kinda freaked out a bit when that happened which probably didn't help me at all.)

What did you learn in your Islamic studies classes?

Why didn't you try and serve in the military earlier if it is something you want to do? (I am only 24 too!)

All I can say is be relaxed, the officers told me to be casual so no suit or anything like that, and be 100% honest, even if the board may not like hearing your answers. They are experts at spotting bs and it helps them realize who you are when you answer honestly. Oh and do not make the mistake of putting loadmasters higher than pilots when talking of cool aircrew jobs or else you will get a good ribbing. :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gio1084

Interview questions from my future home at an AFRC C-17 unit

In no particular order.

1. Tell us about yourself.

2. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

3. Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

4. Have you ever had a conflict with a supervisor? How did you handle it?

5. What kind of leadership roles have you taken?

6. Have you ever been asked to do something that was not in line with regulations at work?

7. Do you have an issue with the Anthrax vaccine?

8. Who else have you applied to?

9. What if you get hired here and a fighter unit calls and says they want to interview you?

10. What if after UPT your back here in seasoning and you receive a call from SW saying that want to hire you and training starts next week?

11. Would you move here?

12. What do you plan to do with your current job?

13. It gets cold up here, how do you feel about that?

14. Would you consider being an ART (Air Reserve Technician)?

15. Why not AD?

16. How old are you?

17. Have you ever had and infractions with the law? Arrest or Convictions?

18. Where is your family from?

19. What if you move here and your wife hates it?

The best advise I can give is be relaxed, be YOURSELF and be HONEST. My interview was a peer interview with about 9 people consisting of the Commander, pilots and load masters. The best part was the full motion sim ride!! Everyone was extremely welcoming and made me feel very comfortable. I can't wait to start!!

Good Luck to everyone!!

• 4 months later...

I went to a few interviews back in the day with F-16 units.

The biggest things all those guys hit on have already been posted here, but I cannot stress how much of an impression being a local buy and going to the unit to get to know the folks there is. I went to some heritage nights, ect, and it bode very well in the interview. Sometimes you just can't beat out a guy from the squadron that's applying though. "We've known him 5 years, and only just met you a few months ago" is to be expected in the interview.

On that note, in my interview they asked me "Would you enlist in this unit in order to have a guaranteed interview 2-3 years from now after you finish boot camp, tech school, and deploy with us?"

That was a tough one.

If you aren't a local guy, make damn sure you know something about the area, what you would do outside of the ANG, ect. There's a lot more research to do than just on the a/c that they fly.

In other interviews I was asked:

1. About my involvement in sports and how that applied to flying fighters

2. Why am I single?

3. Do I snowboard or ski?

4. Ever been in a fight? Did I win or loose?

5. Am I applying for active duty?

6. Why aren't you currently in the military?

7. Do you like whiskey?

8. Can you name these planes? And they went through about 20 very random military a/c pictures.

One board was 10 guys and somewhat in-your-face hostile at times, very much a questioning under fire. One was just two captains and the DO, and was really laid back.

Overall it was a very interesting experience. I met a lot of other applicants, some really stand up dudes, and also a large proportion of douch-nozzles. How some of the latter got interviews (and in a few cases: hired) I have no idea.

Edited by contraildash

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lockjaw25

A few of the units I interviewed at (A-10, C-130, KC-135) were already mentioned...

HH-60

-Tell us about yourself

-Why us?

-What will you do to support yourself as a Traditional in the area?

-What if the unit changed aircraft?

-Tell us how you handled a stressful situation.

Among others I can't recall, but very similar to previous ones listed...

• 3 months later...
Guest jon110334

I went to the same college as one of the interviewees, so I got:

"What's your favorite restaurant in Auburn?"

My resume's pretty sweet, so I got this one:

"Why are you here? Why aren't you applying to be an astronaut?"

"Do you like hunting or fishing? What's the largest animal you ever killed?"

"What if you see civilians on the ground, and are given the order to drop a bomb... what would you do?"

"Now is when we normally as the candidate if he'd be willing to move to Alabama, but since you're from Dothan, AL and went to school in Auburn, AL... I'm pretty sure that would be a stupid question!"

"Have you thought about the other flying opportunities in Alabama?"

"Why aren't you flying on active duty?"

The next question was tricky, he sorta started asking "How do I know I wouldn't get tired with this work?" but ended up asking "after your position transfers from active guard to traditional guard, what is it you plan on doing?"

Some of the ones that caught me off guard!

"What do you think it takes to be a fighter pilot?"

"What is it you think we do?"

One member of the board went through a brief list of "Have you ever ________"

Gotten a speeding ticket, been arrested, had an FAA violation, etc.

They're just looking for trends. Just sack up and say you were speeding. It won't kill your pilot slot.

If you failed a check ride, be prepared to explain why you failed, what you did wrong, and how the re-check went. Most importantly, tell them what you learned.

At another interview, with a unit that 95% of the time doesn't fly into combat areas, one member of the board asked me how I'd feel about "stepping out of the plane, taking a rifle and blowing some motherf*****s away." I'm pretty sure he was just messing with me, since the rest of the board stopped him and asked what he was talking about.

"If both units you're interviewing with offer you a slot, where will you go?"

"Where did you get your sense of patriotism?"

"You're 28. Why didn't you do this sooner?"

"How did you prepare for the AFOQT?" (I was surprised at this one, but I think he wanted to know how I'd study at UPT).

"What does your wife think of you being gone for two months at a time?"

"Does your wife know it gets cold here?"

"What does your wife do? How old is your son? Do you want more kids?"

"How did you pay for the ratings you have?"

"What will you do if you don't get this slot?"

"Tell us about yourself." - Be brief and to the point. Don't drone on with The History of My Life, Volume I.

Two things that aren't interview questions, but they're good to keep in mind:

• Hang out with the guys if you're invited, but don't get wasted. Watched one guy drink half of the bottle he brought as a gift to the squadron. Like a train wreck in slow motion. No dice for him.
  • Don't insult anyone, even if it's obvious that you're joking. As an off-the-street applicant you are the part of the totem pole that sticks in the ground. Especially at guard units, people are family. Saying something negative about a recruiter, E-2, or whoever, will not impress the board or anyone, even if that person can't stand recruiter so-and-so.

Edited by JBueno

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

My interview consisted of five questions. The board said that they were asking the same five questions of all applicants. It was very formal. They gave me a pencil and paper, and they told me that I could come back to a question at any time. I thought I was getting ready to take a math test. It was intimidating!

All five questions were suspiciously similar to the KSA's I had to fill out to apply for the job. Also, it became readily apparent that I was getting points based on how many examples I could give for each interview question. I got the hint after answering each question with one well-prepared, well-articulated example, and then one of the Lt Col's on the board said to me, "Okay....is that it?" That happened for two of the questions. It was awkward and uncomfortable. Finally, I gave up the cool act and said, "I'm not sure I understand how this works. Is more...better?" The Lt Col gave me the wink-nod and said, "We are not allowed to tell you if MORE. IS. BETTER."

It really threw a monkey wrench into my interview strategy. I spent weeks preparing answers to possible questions--thank you, BaseOps.net!--and I had at least one solid answer to each potential question. I never thought I'd be racking up points for providing as many examples as I could think of. Also, the questions were not at all what I expected. I had already answered the KSA's in my application package, so it didn't occur to me that they'd ask those same ones again. I was expecting personality-driven questions that would give the unit a hint about whether I was professional, a good dude, and a bro. There was none of that. I recovered at the end of the questions and went back to re-answer as many as I could with more relevant information. I was sweating it, though. I had no idea how I had fared after it was over. I can honestly say that it was unlike any Guard interview that I had ever heard about, or read about. I had other guys in my unit interview with the same squadron. Their interviews had been more like the ones described in this forum. Mine was an oddity.

I ended up getting the job--thank God. The best thing I ever did to prepare for that interview was to read about the history of the weapons system that morning before I interviewed. The first question from the board was, "Tell us what you know about the _______ Aircraft." Instead of just having the cursory knowledge I learned from being an Active Duty flyer in a different MWS, I was able to take them through the entire history of the aircraft, along with the current variants, and some of its more noteworthy missions. That scored HUGE with the board. They could tell that I had done my homework and was serious about this job. Best advice I ever got on this forum--do your research.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ChongLi

Finally got picked up. Thanks to all who posted. Majority of the questions I was asked were the typical questions, the ones that caught me off were these...

What is the toughest decision you've ever made?

What civilian training do you have that will help you at UPT?

Of the applicants you were hanging out with, which one would/wouldn't you select and why? (all the apps. hung out in a lounge prior to the interviews)

What was the scariest moment you've had while flying? How did you handle it?

For me, visiting the units beforehand was key just to get a vibe for what the squadron was like and to see what they were looking for in an applicant. If I could have gone back, I would have saved some coin and declined a few interviews that were far away from where I live simply because I was pretty certain they already had their minds made up on who they were gonna pick before I had my interview. I went to a couple of interviews that made me feel like I was rushing a fraternity again, and one that was extremely formal and structured. Be prepared, but try to be loose and relaxed.

Edited by ChongLi

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interview last month and here are the questions I remember although most of it's a blur:

- Tell us about yourself.

- How did you get started in aviation?

- Why the Air Force? Why the Guard? Why this unit in particular?

- You realize that you will be deployed. How do you feel about this?

- What is your biggest strength/turn your biggest weakness into a strength.

- What is your leadership style?

- Tell us the 3 most important characteristics of a leader.

- What is the biggest obstacle you have overcome?

- Tell us about a time you had a disagreement with a supervisor.

- You're about to fly a mission and you smell alcohol on the other pilot's breath. What do you do?

- Again, why this unit?

- Do you have any questions?

- Why should we hire you? Make your case. Go.

It was intimidating to have 6+ people in flight suits staring at you and analyzing your every word, especially if you've never interviewed this way before, but be confident. Most importantly be yourself (you've heard this a million times because it's TRUE!) Hey, they decided I was worthy of being picked up so I must have done something right. You can only prepare so much. I may not have had the best answers but I made it absolutely clear that I wanted it more than anyone else and that I have a passion for flying (dur). Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stamfordblue7

So I literally just finished my interview day about four hours ago at the 123rd in Louisville, KY, and figured I would post my experience here for everyone else.

Question time:

The first several (two or three) questions all had the same theme: "You have a very solid package, very good numbers, and good background... but so does everyone else. (At this point the Colonel said he's glad he's not applying for a pilot slot anywhere today, because he wouldn't get it... for whatever that's worth.) Why you, and why do you want to be here?"

After a couple minutes of giving my background and desire to serve/fly (family lineage, grades, school/work history), the other questions seemed to push toward the commitment and difficulty of UPT. On these I gave life examples of stressful, academically-laden times in school/work and the corresponding positive grades/scores/outcomes to show I knew I could handle it.

As soon as I finished the last of those, the younger guy asked me a question something to the effect of: (In a slightly bad-cop, confrontational tone) "That's all great, but I could reach down here (pointing to a box, presumably containing the packages of the other eight interviewees), pick out any of these guys, and send them to UPT, and they'd come back with wings on their chest. They're all good. What I want to know is, if we're in (some future, made-up conflict beyond the enemy line in...) North Korea, putting boots on the ground... how do I know you can handle the pressure as an officer and leader?

I sat there, remembered something my dad had said about officer-ship, and told them that being a pilot is what you do... being an officer is what you are.

I then outlined the ways that I felt/knew I was a natural-born leader (oldest of four kids, leader in school clubs, band, athletics, and past two jobs), and how the service was more important than the capacity of the position. The questioner leaned back and then told me that I'd ruined his question for the next go-'round, because he was going to ask about being an officer first, said he was out of questions.

I promptly told him that I could feed him a couple questions I'd like to answer. Laughs and high-fives all around, and I was hired... Then I woke up and the questions continued.

Got a couple questions about, why this mission? I told them that it had more to do with the wing than the mission. Living in Bowling Green, I obviously looked at the wings closest to me, all within a three hour radius or so. After visiting the Louisville wing, I knew it was for me, and I sincerely meant that. They are decorated (one of the best and most awarded in the nation), have great facilities, support one of the only two (I think) ANG Special Tactics Teams in the nation, and I guessed that I wouldn't have to worry about funding drying-up or the wing relocating as there is only one wing in Kentucky as opposed to two, three, or more in other states. The younger guy asked me if I thought of that myself or asked someone else (concerning the funds/relocation). I hesitantly said I had thought that would be true, "Is that way off?" He said no, it was very true, and a good way to make a decision... he had scared me a little at that point. I didn't want to make an incorrect assumption and look like an idiot.

The next question was: "It's clear that you have succeeded in pretty much everything you've done, but what's something/some time you've struggled? What are you not good at? What's your weakness?...

I responded, "Apparently I'm not the greatest at changing a tire..." About an hour before the interview I got a flat on the highway, five miles from the exit and was freaking out thinking I wouldn't make it in time. I had never changed a tire before, but in between curses and slaps to the forward I pushed on through and came in with a little dirt on my knees and some grime on my shirt sleeves (luckily covered by the jacket)... everybody thought that was pretty funny.

After that I seriously responded about the period of time when, in a two week span, I found out my wife was pregnant, was laid-off the next day (from my first real job after college, a great, well-paying one), found out my wife had had a miscarriage two days after that, and then had our apartment broken into a week later. At this point I explained that I've had a good life, a comfortable life, and this was a kick to the face of all that. But at the same time I said that, not to sound too Zen-like, you have to embrace it. You have to realize that everything (good and bad) is transient, and that things will get better. I told them that that was the worst time of my life, but I got a new job, my wife and I are going to try to get pregnant again, and the stuff that was stolen was covered under insurance. Everything could have been worse, but it wasn't. We're okay.

I think all of that seemed to go over well, because they could tell I was being 100% genuine.

I got a couple more cursory questions about what I wanted to do as my full-time job, my age, and things of that nature, but it was all downhill after the "difficult time of your life" question.

In all honesty, I am normally a good interviewee and am normally very confident going into an interview. I was more nervous than I have ever been this morning, especially considering the flat tire situation. I suppose that's because this is the first interview I've just absolutely and unequivocally KNOWN I've wanted to ace because of the end result. It's what I want.

But these board members were great; they were friendly, they were empathetic to the nerves, and they didn't try to intimidate in any way. That made everything much easier. I had read on here that the Guard interviews are normally more laid-back, more of a conversation because of the nature of the selection. They are looking to see if they can get along with you, and if you are going to cause them problems on a "6- month deployment or hop across the pond". If you get selected, they're looking at your face for a couple decades. I feel like they would have seen through me if I tried to be duplicitous about achievements, ratings, or natural leadership abilities.

This was my first (hopefully only) interview with a wing, but my advice would be to prepare with some of the questions in the Interview section on this thread, think of real-life situations that show the real you (good and bad... well, moderately bad), and, lastly, have fun and joke around.

Above all, don't be overly nervous, because, as the recruiting liaison told me right before the interview, "It's only your future"...

Thanks for all the help on here, guys... Integral to my preparation for a better-than-expected interview...

• 6 months later...

Dudes,

Just got picked up. This site was a huge element of my success. Review the questions on here, and be a "good dude" in the interview. Respect the crew, and remember that everybody else has done everything they can to give them the best resume possible, so don't be "second" to anyone. Let that show in the interview, be confident, honest, and be the best person they can possibly select.

So I literally just finished my interview day about four hours ago at the 123rd in Louisville, KY, and figured I would post my experience here for everyone else.

Question time:

The first several (two or three) questions all had the same theme: "You have a very solid package, very good numbers, and good background... but so does everyone else. (At this point the Colonel said he's glad he's not applying for a pilot slot anywhere today, because he wouldn't get it... for whatever that's worth.) Why you, and why do you want to be here?"

After a couple minutes of giving my background and desire to serve/fly (family lineage, grades, school/work history), the other questions seemed to push toward the commitment and difficulty of UPT. On these I gave life examples of stressful, academically-laden times in school/work and the corresponding positive grades/scores/outcomes to show I knew I could handle it.

As soon as I finished the last of those, the younger guy asked me a question something to the effect of: (In a slightly bad-cop, confrontational tone) "That's all great, but I could reach down here (pointing to a box, presumably containing the packages of the other eight interviewees), pick out any of these guys, and send them to UPT, and they'd come back with wings on their chest. They're all good. What I want to know is, if we're in (some future, made-up conflict beyond the enemy line in...) North Korea, putting boots on the ground... how do I know you can handle the pressure as an officer and leader?

I sat there, remembered something my dad had said about officer-ship, and told them that being a pilot is what you do... being an officer is what you are.

I then outlined the ways that I felt/knew I was a natural-born leader (oldest of four kids, leader in school clubs, band, athletics, and past two jobs), and how the service was more important than the capacity of the position. The questioner leaned back and then told me that I'd ruined his question for the next go-'round, because he was going to ask about being an officer first, said he was out of questions.

I promptly told him that I could feed him a couple questions I'd like to answer. Laughs and high-fives all around, and I was hired... Then I woke up and the questions continued.

Got a couple questions about, why this mission? I told them that it had more to do with the wing than the mission. Living in Bowling Green, I obviously looked at the wings closest to me, all within a three hour radius or so. After visiting the Louisville wing, I knew it was for me, and I sincerely meant that. They are decorated (one of the best and most awarded in the nation), have great facilities, support one of the only two (I think) ANG Special Tactics Teams in the nation, and I guessed that I wouldn't have to worry about funding drying-up or the wing relocating as there is only one wing in Kentucky as opposed to two, three, or more in other states. The younger guy asked me if I thought of that myself or asked someone else (concerning the funds/relocation). I hesitantly said I had thought that would be true, "Is that way off?" He said no, it was very true, and a good way to make a decision... he had scared me a little at that point. I didn't want to make an incorrect assumption and look like an idiot.

The next question was: "It's clear that you have succeeded in pretty much everything you've done, but what's something/some time you've struggled? What are you not good at? What's your weakness?...

I responded, "Apparently I'm not the greatest at changing a tire..." About an hour before the interview I got a flat on the highway, five miles from the exit and was freaking out thinking I wouldn't make it in time. I had never changed a tire before, but in between curses and slaps to the forward I pushed on through and came in with a little dirt on my knees and some grime on my shirt sleeves (luckily covered by the jacket)... everybody thought that was pretty funny.

After that I seriously responded about the period of time when, in a two week span, I found out my wife was pregnant, was laid-off the next day (from my first real job after college, a great, well-paying one), found out my wife had had a miscarriage two days after that, and then had our apartment broken into a week later. At this point I explained that I've had a good life, a comfortable life, and this was a kick to the face of all that. But at the same time I said that, not to sound too Zen-like, you have to embrace it. You have to realize that everything (good and bad) is transient, and that things will get better. I told them that that was the worst time of my life, but I got a new job, my wife and I are going to try to get pregnant again, and the stuff that was stolen was covered under insurance. Everything could have been worse, but it wasn't. We're okay.

I think all of that seemed to go over well, because they could tell I was being 100% genuine.

I got a couple more cursory questions about what I wanted to do as my full-time job, my age, and things of that nature, but it was all downhill after the "difficult time of your life" question.

In all honesty, I am normally a good interviewee and am normally very confident going into an interview. I was more nervous than I have ever been this morning, especially considering the flat tire situation. I suppose that's because this is the first interview I've just absolutely and unequivocally KNOWN I've wanted to ace because of the end result. It's what I want.

But these board members were great; they were friendly, they were empathetic to the nerves, and they didn't try to intimidate in any way. That made everything much easier. I had read on here that the Guard interviews are normally more laid-back, more of a conversation because of the nature of the selection. They are looking to see if they can get along with you, and if you are going to cause them problems on a "6- month deployment or hop across the pond". If you get selected, they're looking at your face for a couple decades. I feel like they would have seen through me if I tried to be duplicitous about achievements, ratings, or natural leadership abilities.

This was my first (hopefully only) interview with a wing, but my advice would be to prepare with some of the questions in the Interview section on this thread, think of real-life situations that show the real you (good and bad... well, moderately bad), and, lastly, have fun and joke around.

Above all, don't be overly nervous, because, as the recruiting liaison told me right before the interview, "It's only your future"...

Thanks for all the help on here, guys... Integral to my preparation for a better-than-expected interview...

What was the end result? Did the 123rd hire you?