SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

I got an "A minus" on a paper back in 2010 because I used "word -- word" for a hyphenation instead of the AETC-approved "word--word" format.

My A- was for writing a bottom line bullet that went something like this:

"#1 Polish captain I've ever pretend-rated at SOS in my 5 year career!"

They warned us about corny strats but it was worth it.

Someone in my flt at COT who had degrees from two Ivy League schools failed an OTS assignment. When asked about it the response was something along the lines of "I wrote a grad-school level paper but what they really wanted was a fill in the squares paper that a ten year old could write."

Sounds like one of the dumbasses at SOS that writes more than the allotted 2 pages because they "had more to say" (100% true story from when I went).

I agree with Gravedigger. If you can't do what is asked of you on one of those papers because the rubric is too complex for you, you're dumb.

And having a prestigious degree from an Ivy League school does not prevent one from being a a moron.

Wow...I'm getting really grouchy in my old age.

I'm pretty sure we need to hear more about this brawl about someone's wife...along with pics...of the wife of course.

Heard about it, but we had bailed from the o-club early. We've only been here for 5 days, so I'm sure there were some previously established tensions brewing.

I'll bet $3.50 that it's a dude was banging a dude's wife while he was deployed on last assignment.

Edited by Toasty

Heard about it, but we had bailed from the o-club early. We've only been here for 5 days, so I'm sure there were some previously established tensions brewing.

I'll bet $3.50 that it's a dude was banging a dude's wife while he was deployed on last assignment.

A day's wages? That's a steep wager!

• Like 1

Funny I had a guy in my class that taught English and was an ROTC instructor but had to redo a writing assignment. He wasn't an idiot so I think it was the twisted grading rubric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I attended SOS many years ago, I had been a classroom instructor and Emceed graduation ceremonies. I wasn't nervous speaking. However, I had to present a prepared briefing prepared by someone else. It was horribly written but we had to give it as is with no changes. So, it sucks no matter what you do. Our section leader critiques my performance and says I need to do better. My response to his comments was "FedEx couldn't deliver this speech." Idiot.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure selects have to fill out a 3849 and still 'request' school. That being the case, I imagine they can select that they do not wish to compete for any specific chool and accept the prejudice associated with it...this way they're not turning down an assignment per se.

We were told that it's not optional to fill out the 3849. If you are a select, you were required to submit one. This became a player because one of the selects is trying to dodge school for at least a year because they are mil-mil and the spouse is a year group behind them.

• 1 month later...

Wow the ACSC ILAs are F'n retarded. Protip: Take screenshots before all your submissions then request help from the helpdesk when you are stuck using the screen shots. I couldn't pass the joint forces module 5 ILA without help. It was just a damn guessing game.

• 1 month later...

Well, what else is there to do in Montgomery after the first week of SOS?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just FYI, I put in a ticket to student services to try to get a list of paper assignments for the balance of the program.

Response was to "[r]eview the student handbook to get an overview, but you cannot have access to the material until you are enrolled into the courses."

So not all that helpful, given that here I was trying to get a sense of workload down the road in order to plan my life.

Applied leadership, 2 week course

1x 3-6pg paper (done before start) that is revised during course, peer reviews and group discussion.

Applied National Security, 1 week course

1x 1500-2000 word paper due at end of week.  no discussion posts.

Applied Warfare, 2 week course

1x 900-1200 word paper, discussion posts

Applied Joint Warfare, 3 week course

1x 850-950 word paper, discussion posts, article submission, 1 page synopsis.

Each course is relatively easy.  You should be able to accomplish any of these courses in a few hours a week while distracted with real life.  That being said pay attention to the last course as there are lots of due dates and the assignments aren't laid out very well which causes some confusion after a few beers.  Just sign up for the classes and do them.  They are actually easier than the online masters courses.  The time consuming stuff are the ILAs in the CBTs.  Those are huge time sinks in the joint courses.  Read the forums first to get some direction before attempting.  Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just had a drop late notice IDE school slot pop for the National Intelligence Institute.  I am a pilot on the fence between this and the airlines and tomorrow is the deadline for an answer.   Anyone have gauge for this school that has been?   

• 2 weeks later...
I just had a drop late notice IDE school slot pop for the National Intelligence Institute.  I am a pilot on the fence between this and the airlines and tomorrow is the deadline for an answer.   Anyone have gauge for this school that has been?   

Sorry, no gouge on this school, but if you're on the fence between this and airlines, seems like a no brainier to me. This school is going to net you minimum 4 more years on AD, maybe more. You've got the year of school, followed by a three year school ADSC. Your post school assignment will most likely be staff. Assuming you still want an airline job, you'll probably want another post staff flying assignment to gain some recent currency. You'll be looking at another 2 years PCS ADSC, and possibly a requal ADSC. That will put you at, what, 17-19 years in following your next flying assignment? If anything, I'd think this "opportunity" would make the airlines the easy choice. YMMV

• Upvote 1

On May 10, 2016 at 3:39 AM, gswolfpack said:

I just had a drop late notice IDE school slot pop for the National Intelligence Institute.

Were you an IDE select on your O-4 promotion board?  

Seems that drop-down IDE "opportunities" are becoming a lot more common.  IDE-selects are bailing left and right. The AF isn't retaining near as many "HPOs" as it thinks it is...

• Upvote 1