SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

Are there multiple papers required in ACSC DL 7.0 (non-masters degree option)?

The wording in the catalog only mentions a national security paper, but someone above posted asking for paper topics for a leadership course. 

Trying to avoid paper writing, as I’m already masters complete. 

This was the topic for a paper from 2017. Not sure if it’s still this terrible. Just reading the topic made me want to drop the class. I think this paper was 1800-2000 words if I remember close to right.

In Lesson 6 of the Warfare Studies course, Roger Spiller outlined six propositions in his essay, "War Termination: Theory and American Practice."
"First: Wars are defined not by their extremes but by their limitations. Concepts of total war or complete victory are abstractions whose function is to depict an ideal case against which real war can be understood and conducted.

Second: War's original aims and methods are constantly revised by the stresses and actions of war. The only way in which a war ends, therefore, depends on the strategic and operational context that the war itself has created during its course.

Third: The public face of war is ever more cosmopolitan and so, therefore, is the conduct of war itself, which can no longer be quarantined from the influence of the world beyond, if it ever could.

Fourth: In ever war, the aims of all sides, no matter how opposed at the beginning, gradually converge toward an agreement to stop fighting.

Fifth: This convergence of aims is not produced on the battlefield alone. It derives not only from military actions but also from influences well beyond the battlefield, only some of which may be within the reach of control by policymakers, strategists, and operational commanders.

Last: Within the confines of war itself, a war's terminal campaign exercises the greatest influence over the manner in which it ends and, therefore, is not always a war's last campaign. This means that the concept of a decisive campaign or victory is of less utility than orthodox military thought has traditionally assumed."

Select two of the propositions, identify which you have chosen, and describe how airpower (broadly defined, along with cyber- and spacepower) can most effectively contribute to ensuring that war termination coincides with national interests, within the construct the propositions outline.

-Happy Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Bode said:

This was the topic for a paper from 2017. Not sure if it’s still this terrible. Just reading the topic made me want to drop the class. I think this paper was 1800-2000 words if I remember close to right.

In Lesson 6 of the Warfare Studies course, Roger Spiller outlined six propositions in his essay, "War Termination: Theory and American Practice."
"First: Wars are defined not by their extremes but by their limitations. Concepts of total war or complete victory are abstractions whose function is to depict an ideal case against which real war can be understood and conducted.

Second: War's original aims and methods are constantly revised by the stresses and actions of war. The only way in which a war ends, therefore, depends on the strategic and operational context that the war itself has created during its course.

Third: The public face of war is ever more cosmopolitan and so, therefore, is the conduct of war itself, which can no longer be quarantined from the influence of the world beyond, if it ever could.

Fourth: In ever war, the aims of all sides, no matter how opposed at the beginning, gradually converge toward an agreement to stop fighting.

Fifth: This convergence of aims is not produced on the battlefield alone. It derives not only from military actions but also from influences well beyond the battlefield, only some of which may be within the reach of control by policymakers, strategists, and operational commanders.

Last: Within the confines of war itself, a war's terminal campaign exercises the greatest influence over the manner in which it ends and, therefore, is not always a war's last campaign. This means that the concept of a decisive campaign or victory is of less utility than orthodox military thought has traditionally assumed."

Select two of the propositions, identify which you have chosen, and describe how airpower (broadly defined, along with cyber- and spacepower) can most effectively contribute to ensuring that war termination coincides with national interests, within the construct the propositions outline.

-Happy Day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuck..... Sounds like trying to make a square peg fit a round hole. 

8 hours ago, jazzdude said:

I believe there's a paper for each instructor led course (draft is turned in during the self paced class just prior to instructor led)

That’s the way it was when I finished last year...1 paper for each “applied” section along with several mini-essays/discussion posts. 

11 hours ago, FLEA said:

Yuck..... Sounds like trying to make a square peg fit a round hole. 

Yeah.... it’s the AF. I mean, how could you possibly make it past Major without discussing topics like that? 

Edited by IDALPHA

14 hours ago, brabus said:

ACSC taught me that a growler is a strike asset with bombs. Those bastards have been holding their cards close this whole time! Thanks for the learning AU!

What if the Growler MEZ pen'd? Are what if's open? On that note, I have noticed the younger Growler crowd is more willing to try "new shit" out and be the backpack. I'm glad they seem to be growing a pair.

The best part about the ASCS simulations is the disclaimer saying that AU realizes the scenario may not be a realistic representation of actual aircraft capabilities. Apparently a Viper can CAP for 6-9 hours without needing gas but a B-1 can’t fly 69 miles away from a tanker track before it bingos out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Right Seat Driver said:

The best part about the ASCS simulations is the disclaimer saying that AU realizes the scenario may not be a realistic representation of actual aircraft capabilities. Apparently a Viper can CAP for 6-9 hours without needing gas but a B-1 can’t fly 69 miles away from a tanker track before it bingos out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Wow was that written by a 13B?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
4 hours ago, MechGov said:

For those who were on the IDE alternate list, when did you find out if you were/were not getting picked up? I’ve heard that a fallout slot could go to an alternate right until the week prior to the AY starting.

From 1 day after checkin to 3 months out from my direct observation. 1 day after scenario was person PCA'd from SOS instructor to ACSC. 

6 hours ago, MechGov said:

For those who were on the IDE alternate list, when did you find out if you were/were not getting picked up? I’ve heard that a fallout slot could go to an alternate right until the week prior to the AY starting.

I found out about a week prior to the start date. 

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, tunes said:

resurrecting an old thread....anyone go through the JPEX recently? I'm beating my head against a wall

If you’re talking ACSC DL, check the end of the instructions for the answer key. If I remember right, they said something like, “Since you read all the instructions, here’s the answers.”

11 hours ago, JBueno said:

If you’re talking ACSC DL, check the end of the instructions for the answer key. If I remember right, they said something like, “Since you read all the instructions, here’s the answers.”

thanks, i ended up brute forcing my way through it.

• 9 months later...

However, I don't want to completely blow it off, since you go down to SOS only once, and I'd like to get something good out of it. Just like in the jet, I'd rather be an asset, and not a liability to my peers. I'm not going down there to try and get a DG (I don't even know if they still have it). It's never been my style. I remember how insufferable the DG hunters were in ROTC and UPT, and it never worked out for them anyway. I'm already a little bitter about leaving my newborn behind for something like PME. I'll take any advice or spears you guys have. 

Show up on time, turn your shit in and talk occasionally during discussion and you’ll be fine.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LoveDumpster said:

Gents,

Has anyone been to SOS recently or have good gouge on how not to suck? I'm the first one in my squadron to attend the new 4 week formatted in residence SOS and no one really knows what to expect. Everyone in the last couple years has done it from their basements due to the wu flu. 

I recently PCA'd and my new squadron gifted me with a surprise, all expense paid trip to Captain camp this summer in Alabama. I'm currently on parental leave with my first born, and I'm also going through upgrade and chugging on a master's degree. Needless to say, I'm trying to keep my nose in the books as much as possible while trying not be a shitty husband/dad so this wrench throws me off guard a bit. 

However, I don't want to completely blow it off, since you go down to SOS only once, and I'd like to get something good out of it. Just like in the jet, I'd rather be an asset, and not a liability to my peers. I'm not going down there to try and get a DG (I don't even know if they still have it). It's never been my style. I remember how insufferable the DG hunters were in ROTC and UPT, and it never worked out for them anyway. I'm already a little bitter about leaving my newborn behind for something like PME. I'll take any advice or spears you guys have. 

Don't over think it. Go there, be a good bro like you already undoubtedly are in your squadron, and just try to help out where you feel you can. 

Don't gun for DG. Appreciate the 4 week vacation from flying the line which we all know can be fun but exhausting sometimes. 

Take what you can from the course, but don't overthink any of it. You might only hear 1-2 useful things there. You might hear a dozen. It depends how much AETC is guzzling their own bullshit at any given time and how comfortable as a leader you've already come into your own style. 

Do go out and drink, party, have a good time. This is 95% a networking event. Skills you get on making connections become super important in any profession. Even if you're not a drinker just go to hang out. 

Try and learn a bit about other AFSCs. You can hate them all you want at your squadrons next roll call but for now get some insights from them. I was surprised when I learned how much responsibility certain Captains in fields like airfield ops get. 

For the wife/little one.... Montgomery isn't a great place to bring them. You totally can but I don't think your wife would be comfortable/happy. I dunno just my 2c. My wife went but we didn't have a newborn. She was REALLY  bored in the hotel room all day. Maybe see if you can send her home to her parents for a month? 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 2

Just be happy you don't have to endure Flickerball anymore...but what the holy fuck is this shit, and what does it have to do with "the fundamental principles of airpower?!?"

"In reality, these captains put some time and effort into building a strategy that represents air power. They have a good time, but there is also a lot of learning involved."  🤣🤣🤣

Assess day 1 if your flight is full of “let’s be the #1 flight!” types - if so, crush that immediately. If not, you can skip step 1 and go directly to step 2-4 of have fun after class/on the weekends, get to know some other AFSC perspectives, and get done exactly what SOS asks of you and no more.

PME is useless, but you can actually learn something from your peers (I guess bringing you together is the one positive PME may produce) and still have a good time. 

10 minutes ago, brabus said:

Assess day 1 if your flight is full of “let’s be the #1 flight!” types - if so, crush that immediately. If not, you can skip step 1 and go directly to step 2-4 of have fun after class/on the weekends, get to know some other AFSC perspectives, and get done exactly what SOS asks of you and no more.

PME is useless, but you can actually learn something from your peers (I guess bringing you together is the one positive PME may produce) and still have a good time. 

Dude in our class easily broke the ice on day one for us when we were choosing flight roles. He self identified as not needing SOS DG and not particular gunning for it. When I went your class had to decide their own flight roles, including the flight lead which is usually a shoe in for DG if you don't screw it up. This was usually an awkward moment because noone wants to come off as someone who is not going to try but noone wants to come off as pushy or start conflict on the first day. Anyway, that sort of broke the tension in the room and everyone else admitted they weren't looking for DG either. Made the rest of the course either. 

That said, another approach is don't immediately look down on anyone who is gunning for DG. There are a lot of c*** blowers for sure but there are some people that are riding a glass tight rope in their home squadron and they are hoping something like a solid SOS performance might turn it around for them. If you have anyone like that, feel free to advocate for them taking the flight lead role so they have the opportunity and giving them chances to prove themselves. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

Dude in our class easily broke the ice on day one for us when we were choosing flight roles. He self identified as not needing SOS DG and not particular gunning for it. When I went your class had to decide their own flight roles, including the flight lead which is usually a shoe in for DG if you don't screw it up. This was usually an awkward moment because noone wants to come off as someone who is not going to try but noone wants to come off as pushy or start conflict on the first day. Anyway, that sort of broke the tension in the room and everyone else admitted they weren't looking for DG either. Made the rest of the course either. 

That said, another approach is don't immediately look down on anyone who is gunning for DG. There are a lot of c*** blowers for sure but there are some people that are riding a glass tight rope in their home squadron and they are hoping something like a solid SOS performance might turn it around for them. If you have anyone like that, feel free to advocate for them taking the flight lead role so they have the opportunity and giving them chances to prove themselves. 

Has been my experience as well.  Have had two great people self ID as looking for an award for whatever reason.  Class agreed they were good people and pushed them at the right times.  Much better than the two faced assholes gunning for whatever bullshit they were giving out.