SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

This is correct.

There is very little public information about this new board, but expect it to run like a promotion board or DT rack-and-stack. If so, they score each record on 6-10 pt scale at .5 increments to determine rack-and-stack for IDE/SDE. The margins are slim. Last year, all 11Fs IDE slots were selected by 11Fs. This year, there may be no 11Fs on the board that scores your records. If run like a promotion board, expect equal parts ops and support O-6s.

IDE Selects have been ID'd as the top 16% (in '14) to 19% (in '11) of their YrGrp. Whether it was the DFC/BS in combat, working as Group Exec, or coordinating the Xmas Party, the designation came out of a deliberate and pretty transparent promotion board process (even though most of us disagree with the weight given to certain non-operational activities). Many people will defer to the promotion board's evaluation.

The IDE board is a repeat of the promotion board with 1-3 years for Selects to fall off or Candidates to move up; recent experience is on top and probably the most relevant (ADO/deployed DETCO experience, etc). Sr Raters must nom all Selects, but they can rank Candidates above Selects (though unlikely). I would expect the Sr Rater input to have a much stronger impact on the board than Select/non-Select.

Not all Selects will want to spend 18mos getting a Masters or learning Japanese to do ACSC in Tokyo, and DTs may want you closer to home for SAASS, Wing Safety, or DO.

I expect a smaller % of O-3s picked up for IDE than most years, but a higher % of Selects going to non-ACSC programs

Valid...but they till technically 'requested' to go to school with the 3849. They just turned down an assignment (just so happened to be school) and that is what drove the separation. They could have just as easily not applied for school and dropped normal seperation papers if they didn't like the result/next assignment. Either way, the result is the same: A guy wanted out when his time was up, so he got out. If this surprises senior leaders...then good.

"...then good." WTF?

Why would you want to "hide" your intent from your CC and SR?

I am frank and open with my guys, my SR, and everyone in between.

This year alone, I've gotten 4 of 5 guys to their #1 choice (not all were my #1 recommendation for them) of assignment or school, and got the 5th an option he was content with.

That's not going to happen if you keep secrets.

All your career choices are valid. My job is to show you the alternatives to your career choices, then help you on your chosen path.

How can any other method possibly work in your favor?

Don't keep secrets, guys...tell your CC what's important to you, and what you want to go do next, and the follow-on...then let the CC work Magic for you.

• Upvote 1

Don't keep secrets, guys...tell your CC what's important to you, and what you want to go do next, and the follow-on...then let the CC work Magic for you.

That's good and all, if your CC actually is willing to do that for you. Not always the case...

That's good and all, if your CC actually is willing to do that for you. Not always the case...

In general I tend to agree with learjetter- keeping secrets won't help your boss help you. That said, the above observation is completely valid: some commanders take personal offense to subordinates career aspirations. In my mind, this is one of the biggest discriminators between good commandes and bad ones.

"...then good." WTF?

It's good if Senior Leaders are now being surprised by realizing (and now hopefully understanding) that not every shiny penny wants to go to school/stay in. If they're not surprised then I would question if these same Senior Leaders understand the thoughts/concerns of their younger/mid-level officers. IIRC, wasn't the SECAF surprised to find out during the 2010/2011 VSP that so many of his young rated officers wanted out?

Lear, you have shown yourself to be one of the better leaders...unfortunately not all leaders are like you. And if they are, they're not all doing the best at communicating their philosophy with their younger/mid-level officers. I've had good ones, and I've had not so good ones. Just my $.02

That's not going to happen if you keep secrets.

All your career choices are valid. My job is to show you the alternatives to your career choices, then help you on your chosen path.

How can any other method possibly work in your favor?

That only works if you believe your CC will back you up.

For some guys, stating "I want to fly white jets" turns into a perverted logical reason not to strat a guy.

This "honest and open" tactic works great if the boss uses that same method.

How do follow-on assignments from school (IDE specifically) work?

Can a particular senior rater impact this process (i.e. choose to push a candidate based upon return value for one of his communities)? Reaching beyond a follow-on staff tour seems unlikely to me...but, I've heard this discussed recently.

I thought the DTs were career mapping entities, but I've seen little product of such beyond generic labels (RAS/PAS, Staff, etc.).

Is there a "normal" gap there between school graduation and the command select list's generation (somewhere in LtCol select land)?

Doesn't strike me as a well oiled machine, but I admit to a lack of knowledge here...anyone have the lowdown?

Bendy

How do follow-on assignments from school (IDE specifically) work?

Can a particular senior rater impact this process (i.e. choose to push a candidate based upon return value for one of his communities)? Reaching beyond a follow-on staff tour seems unlikely to me...but, I've heard this discussed recently.

I thought the DTs were career mapping entities, but I've seen little product of such beyond generic labels (RAS/PAS, Staff, etc.).

Is there a "normal" gap there between school graduation and the command select list's generation (somewhere in LtCol select land)?

Doesn't strike me as a well oiled machine, but I admit to a lack of knowledge here...anyone have the lowdown?

Bendy

As I understand it, the air staff essentially recruits from ACSC. The best a current SR can do is call one of his bros for a BNR.

The only "beyond the staff tour" planning I've seen is for the AFPAK Hands folks.

I felt the same frustration level you're describing. Up until IDE, we usually have a commander looking out for us and helping orchestrate our next assignment.

But now that you're in IDE, you're just a name without a face because it's up to your functional to determine where you go. In the case of 11Fs last year, this came down to one guy running all 11F staff assignments so we were directed not to contact him because he was too busy (probably valid). The problem is that there is no longer a DT that looks out for you and 11F manning is so short supply, that even 3-star BNRs won't work.

In other words, good luck, because there isn't much you can do but fill out your ADP and wait.

In other words, good luck, because there isn't much you can do but fill out your ADP and wait.

I heard someone in my squadron say that your AFPC functional is like a squadron scheduler that doesn't have to look you in the eye every week. Sounds about right.

• Upvote 1

well I know in Rescue at least they don't forget about you when you go off to school/staff. There's a master list that an O-6 in the community plays chess with for career arcs. (Typically it's someone in the 23 WG who is calling all the shots).

• 2 weeks later...

Failing by not using the rigid format provided, not for content, or so I'm told.

Edit: Those are the details as I understand them, not a first person account, but no reason to believe it's a lie.

Edited by Mandatory

Failing by not using the rigid format provided, not for content, or so I'm told.

Edit: Those are the details as I understand them, not a first person account, but no reason to believe it's a lie.

tumblr_kr3lbo4BRA1qzhiqwo1_1280.png

I'd like to use my "phone a friend" to call Paul Harvey.

• Upvote 1

Update, you can get an LOC now in SOS for failing an assignment. Anyone ever get an LOC for failing a checkride? Or for a better comparison, anyone ever get an LOC for failing a syllabus ride in any training course?

That's an interesting first post. Welcome to BODN.

Edited by HU&W

Update, you can get an LOC now in SOS for failing an assignment. Anyone ever get an LOC for failing a checkride? Or for a better comparison, anyone ever get an LOC for failing a syllabus ride in any training course?

How the fuck does someone fail an SOS assignment?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you fail an SOS assignment, and English is one of your top 4 languages, I honestly have some concerns over your status as a Captain in the Air Force and college graduate.

Funny I had a guy in my class that taught English and was an ROTC instructor but had to redo a writing assignment. He wasn't an idiot so I think it was the twisted grading rubric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny I had a guy in my class that taught English and was an ROTC instructor but had to redo a writing assignment. He wasn't an idiot so I think it was the twisted grading rubric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Twisted grading rubric combined with instructors that can't apply critical thinking and/or instructors that have shitty writing skills and therefore cannot evaluate writing. Only the best of the best have the option to come back as instructors.

If you fail an SOS assignment, and English is one of your top 4 languages, I honestly have some concerns over your status as a Captain in the Air Force and college graduate.

Someone in my flt at COT who had degrees from two Ivy League schools failed an OTS assignment. When asked about it the response was something along the lines of "I wrote a grad-school level paper but what they really wanted was a fill in the squares paper that a ten year old could write."

• Upvote 2