SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

The reality is that it's a difficult sell to get a candidate to some place other than Maxwell when there are selects fighting for the same slot.

-9-

Rumors going around that at least one MAJCOM/CC sent out a TMT tasker to vaious Wings demanding to know why so many IDE-selects were 7 day opting from IDE, as well as WIC grads 7 day opting in general.

So perhaps there aren't as many people "fighting" to go as some might think.

Rumors going around that at least one MAJCOM/CC sent out a TMT tasker to vaious Wings demanding to know why so many IDE-selects were 7 day opting from IDE, as well as WIC grads 7 day opting in general.

So perhaps there aren't as many people "fighting" to go as some might think.

Shit hot people will do well anywhere. Some have come to believe they are not missing out on career, financial, or service opportunities by leaving. At the same time, they believe they will be missing out on family opportunities by staying in.

I see where you're going with this. And while I'm sure that some candidates have been selected for the primo IDE programs in previous years, I would also argue that it's highly unlikely. The stats over the past few years show that it's a low percentage of candidates who are selected for IDE. The percentage is exponentially lower for candidates who are selected for something other than ACSC.

The reality is that it's a difficult sell to get a candidate to some place other than Maxwell when there are selects fighting for the same slot.

-9-

This is true but I don't understand it. Why are selects more competitive for the unconventional IDE programs while candidates almost always go to ACSC?

As you probably know, CSAF's policy of restricting IDE completion by correspondence by school selects was to specifically prevent wasting an officer's time by doing it twice (i.e. practice bleeding). While not explicitly stated, CSAF's intent of eliminating practice bleeding applies to all officers, regardless of whether they are a select or a candidate.

A senior rater who uses a candidates completion of IDE by correspondence as a metric for 3849 stratification is clearly ignoring CSAF's intent on practice bleeding.

-9-

The re-write of the AFI, based on his policy, was very explicit with regards to SOS. However, not so explicit when it comes to ACSC or AWC. I can see plenty of SRs rationalizing their actions as you stated above, unless he is explicitly clear in the annual Wing CC meetings that he holds.

This is true but I don't understand it. Why are selects more competitive for the unconventional IDE programs while candidates almost always go to ACSC?

There is a discussion about this and a plan to change/fix it. Not sure if it has been "approved" yet.

Others that have seen the process, please chime in, but my understanding is that typically your selects rack and stack higher in the DT. When designating a guy to a particular school, typically the higher on the list you are the "better" the school you go to. Additionally, you'll see HPOs go to a school that may result in joint duty on the back end to get their JSO designation, etc. If already joint complete then you may see the HPOs go to an outside the AF school. YMMV.

There is a discussion about this and a plan to change/fix it. Not sure if it has been "approved" yet.

Others that have seen the process, please chime in, but my understanding is that typically your selects rack and stack higher in the DT. When designating a guy to a particular school, typically the higher on the list you are the "better" the school you go to. Additionally, you'll see HPOs go to a school that may result in joint duty on the back end to get their JSO designation, etc. If already joint complete then you may see the HPOs go to an outside the AF school. YMMV.

The rack and stack will happen at the Central Selection Board this year, prior to the DTs getting the nominations. If selects have been sitting on their ass knowing they are going to school versus candidates that have been trying to prove they should get the opportunity, then selects may miss out on those "better" schools. DTs will still vector towards a school, but I'm not sure how much that will factor in when the rack and stack has already occurred.

Because selects were awesome lieutenants who worked hard for DG at SOS, and were recognized as such as 8-9 captains on their O-4 board. So someone else said they were shit-hot, therefore they must still be shit-hot, so I'll go ahead and rank them highly and feel they're deserving of the opportunities to push them farther.

lol, now we know it's serious!

The rack and stack will happen at the Central Selection Board this year, prior to the DTs getting the nominations. If selects have been sitting on their ass knowing they are going to school versus candidates that have been trying to prove they should get the opportunity, then selects may miss out on those "better" schools. DTs will still vector towards a school, but I'm not sure how much that will factor in when the rack and stack has already occurred.

Agreed, but not what I am talking about. In the past the DT completes rack and stack and then sends the top folks to the other than Maxwell schools.

There is a discussion about (post rack and stack) spreading some of the top folks out to AF schools and other than AF schools. Not sure how much traction it will get.

It makes sense. Dudes "good enough" for IDE should be good enough for any school, should they not? We are basically using IDE in-res as a discriminator for command and, eventually, promotion to O-6.

If we are eventually going to stand them up in front of units as CCs and then potentially later in front of our joint partners as Colonels, why not arm them as best as possible with a school fitting of their talents/work ethic.

Edited by Champ Kind
  • Upvote 1

It makes sense. Dudes "good enough" for IDE should be good enough for any school, should they not?.

This is a pretty simplistic view IMHO. We all know not all schools are created equal. Someone who is going to school is viewed as in the top X% of their peers. Within that group there is still a difference in quality between #1 and #69+. The quality of school that someone gets picked for is obviously going to correlate to their ranking among their peers. Should the last candidate selected really be the one to represent the AF in the joint environment or with our allies? Or should a "better" (for lack of a better word) officer fill that role, someone who will likely spend more of their career operating in that environment?

This is a pretty simplistic view IMHO. We all know not all schools are created equal. Someone who is going to school is viewed as in the top X% of their peers. Within that group there is still a difference in quality between #1 and #69+. The quality of school that someone gets picked for is obviously going to correlate to their ranking among their peers. Should the last candidate selected really be the one to represent the AF in the joint environment or with our allies? Or should a "better" (for lack of a better word) officer fill that role, someone who will likely spend more of their career operating in that environment?

That discussion is taking place. Do all the guys at the top of the rack and stack need to go to JAWS or ( name the school) or do we send some of them to ACSC/ AWC? Do we de-value the AF schools that much? Why? How do the other services view other schools (versus their own)? It's an interesting dynamic.

The quality of school that someone gets picked for is obviously going to correlate to their ranking among their peers. Should the last candidate selected really be the one to represent the AF in the joint environment or with our allies? Or should a "better" (for lack of a better word) officer fill that role, someone who will likely spend more of their career operating in that environment?

This is also a simplistic view; every select or candidate who opts out instead of attending (once matched to a school) is replaced by an alternate. And alternates have already been ranked lower than folks designated as primary to attend, systematically creating a situation at odds with your logic.

Honest question: who opts out of school and stays on the military?

Apparently you can't opt out and stay active duty. You can delay going to IDE in residence as a select, but eventually you have to go- hence the 7 day opt that drives a separation date.

I'm guessing plenty of them continue in the ARC.

Apparently you can't opt out and stay active duty. You can delay going to IDE in residence as a select, but eventually you have to go- hence the 7 day opt that drives a separation date.

I'm guessing plenty of them continue in the ARC.

I'm pretty sure selects have to fill out a 3849 and still 'request' school. That being the case, I imagine they can select that they do not wish to compete for any specific chool and accept the prejudice associated with it...this way they're not turning down an assignment per se.

I'm pretty sure selects have to fill out a 3849 and still 'request' school. That being the case, I imagine they can select that they do not wish to compete for any specific chool and accept the prejudice associated with it...this way they're not turning down an assignment per se.

I've seen selects chuck in a 3849 while trying to land a honey AGR job. AGR job comes through, declining school becomes a 7-day option.

Edited by Dupe

I've seen selects chuck in a 3849 while trying to land a honey AGR job. AGR job comes through, declining school becomes a 7-day option.

Valid...but they till technically 'requested' to go to school with the 3849. They just turned down an assignment (just so happened to be school) and that is what drove the separation. They could have just as easily not applied for school and dropped normal seperation papers if they didn't like the result/next assignment. Either way, the result is the same: A guy wanted out when his time was up, so he got out. If this surprises senior leaders...then good.

Anyone know of the ramifications of marking the box "I am not interested in school right now" on your 3849? I just did that because I'm currently on a 365, and a prior at the 19 year mark. Not ready to commit to another three years just this second. I put that down as my reason as well.

I don't have the PSDM in front of me but I thought I remembered seeing that this year SRs were to rack/stack all selects and 20% of candidates.

May nominate no more than 20% of IDE and 25% of their SDE candidates. They MUST nominate 100% of their selects who meet time on station requirements.