SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

I know, separate topic, but the AF needs to shit can the whole PRF deal for promoting to Captain. It's just stupid.

Word on the street through our wing (33FW) is that there's a package on the CSAF's desk to do just that. Hopefully he signs it. Thankfully sanity prevailed and the DPs from the Wing went forward blank except for a check mark.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it is my little microcosm of AMC, but I still see the people who do the j-o-b getting the top copilot strats.

I'm just a lowly Flt/CC, but in my little kingdom, your worthless Masters degree has 0 bearing on my Flight rankings. Unless you are shirking other responsibilities to do that Masters, at which point you can find yourself in the bottom third. If you are doing it and still the best FP in the flight, good on you. At my level though, with ~15 Lts and Jr Capts in the flight, I haven't ever seen a need to use a Bac+ or Masters as a "tie breaker."

• Upvote 4

It's starting to get a bit disturbing how many new guys showing up to the squadron I have to tell KIO on the masters...there is a correct time to do that, and right now is not it.

I've had to tell guys going through the C-130 schoolhouse to stop working on their masters. Every time I told a student, they looked at me dumbfounded and said that they needed to get it done so they can make captain.

Apparently this shit is being perpetuated early on...

Word on the street through our wing (33FW) is that there's a package on the CSAF's desk to do just that. Hopefully he signs it. Thankfully sanity prevailed and the DPs from the Wing went forward blank except for a check mark.

Let's hope they hurry the eff up on that for this cycle as they are already starting to get prepped at my base.

Every single one of my (non-flying) peers. Some have already completed SOS cor, though I think they were in the old course. We were notified in Dec.

Every. Single. One.

i see no problem with that.....if you were eligible for the old course and didnt register before they changed it........well, that's just dumb.....

Seriously, I told every single Capt-select last year to register for the old course while they still could. Three easy tests with help vs. five tests, papers, and guided discussion? Those who didn't take advantage will regret it when they actually have to do work later.

I certainly wouldn't advocate working a masters at the same time as going through a school house, but speaking for the tanker clowns among us, if you can't hack flying the tanker and doing some classes on the side then you are probably mentally retarded.

• Upvote 1

The irony is, all the leadership here at SOS keep going on about what a problem it is that capts are doing SOS in correspondence and in-residence. I guess it doesn't matter what they say if wings are going to keep stratting their eligibles based on correspondence being complete.

As long as the stated goal is 100% in-residence attendance, the strat list should be based 100% off time in grade (with the ability to heisman the guy who got a DUI).

• Upvote 1

....if you can't hack flying the tanker and doing some classes on the side then you are probably mentally retarded.

Not calling you out, but THIS attitude is pervasive at the SQ/CC & DO level in many MWS's...and is one of the reasons people KEEP starting AAD earlier and earlier...

• Upvote 1

I've had to tell guys going through the C-130 schoolhouse to stop working on their masters. Every time I told a student, they looked at me dumbfounded and said that they needed to get it done so they can make captain.

Apparently this shit is being perpetuated early on...

We heard it at OTS in '09.

i see no problem with that.....if you were eligible for the old course and didnt register before they changed it........well, that's just dumb.....

I am. :banghead:

The irony is, all the leadership here at SOS keep going on about what a problem it is that capts are doing SOS in correspondence and in-residence. I guess it doesn't matter what they say if wings are going to keep stratting their eligibles based on correspondence being complete.

As long as the stated goal is 100% in-residence attendance, the strat list should be based 100% off time in grade (with the ability to heisman the guy who got a DUI).

You can't control what a wg/cc uses to strat his dudes. However, HAF could change the AFI so that captains can't enroll in SOS-C until 7 years TAFCSD or when I ineligible to attend SOS-R (without a waiver)

You can't control what a wg/cc uses to strat his dudes. However, HAF could change the AFI so that captains can't enroll in SOS-C until 7 years TAFCSD or when I ineligible to attend SOS-R (without a waiver)

Works for me.

Had a buddy take Marine Corps Command & Staff College a few years back. At that time you could sign up for it w/o being a Maj(s). It seemed on par with ours, difficulty-wise, with the emphasis on amphibious ops in joint warfare instead of an air focus (natch). Granted, he was a 100lb brain, but I took a look at some of the material & it seemed on a level with ACSC.

On the downside, he didn't get IDE credit for it. Whether that was because he did it as a captain, or because it wasn't ACSC, I don't know, but that's a lot of practice bleeding for nothing.

So I feel the need to call B.S. on what I heard from Air University today. I'm currently enrolled in the Air University Online Masters Program finishing up my last academic class. I'm supposed to PCS shortly and was going to hold off on the thesis until after I PCS'ed so I figured I'd knock out ACSC in correspondance. Evidently, I'm only allowed to be enrolled in the ACSC correspondance OR OLMP but not both. I'm in the "non-ACSC" granting "Operational Leadership" for what it's worth....

Has anyone run into the same problem?

So I feel the need to call B.S. on what I heard from Air University today. I'm currently enrolled in the Air University Online Masters Program finishing up my last academic class. I'm supposed to PCS shortly and was going to hold off on the thesis until after I PCS'ed so I figured I'd knock out ACSC in correspondance. Evidently, I'm only allowed to be enrolled in the ACSC correspondance OR OLMP but not both. I'm in the "non-ACSC" granting "Operational Leadership" for what it's worth....

Has anyone run into the same problem?

Similar. You have two real choices:

1) Drop your current concentration and re-enroll in the JW concentration. To do this, you just email the registrar after your current course is posted and ask to dis-enroll. Then you email the registrar and ask to re-enroll, but in the JW. This will add four courses to your remaining studies (the four JW electives). You can get ACSC completion as soon as you finish all seven of the "ACSC" courses...you have to email the registrar and ask they update your record (this is not published anywhere). They will email the person in another office who updates your record to reflect ACSC in correspondence.

2) Finish the OL concentration and get your AAD + three of seven ACSC "credits." Enroll in ACSC 6.0 to finish the remaining four ACSC courses. This is probably the easiest method.

Anyone know where I can find statistics for in-res ACSC selection for a "candidate" (non DE select). I've had them briefed to me before but my AFPC website navigation skills are weak. I'm curious what the selection rate is AAD and no AAD. I know it may be small but I'd still like to know. Thanks

Anyone know where I can find statistics for in-res ACSC selection for a "candidate" (non DE select). I've had them briefed to me before but my AFPC website navigation skills are weak. I'm curious what the selection rate is AAD and no AAD. I know it may be small but I'd still like to know. Thanks

No idea on statistics, but for me it's all about timing, location and luck. Zero AAD (even told my boss I won't do a master's unless sent by AF), exec exp, and no flt cc, and somehow they fell asleep at the board and selected me for school last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stats won't tell you shit. It is all about what you do, who you work for, and a little luck and timing to top it off.

Work hard and you might get the push. Maybe not.

Second on what ThreeHoler just said about stats not meaning much because in the end he is right. That being said I was told 18% of the '04 board were school selects and the Air Force target for the '04 guys is 33% attend school in-residence. Use the stats for what you want but I am '04 guy who is not a select, I am planning on working hard and hopefully getting lucky. The good news is if you never go to school in-res and check all your boxes you may be able to make Lt Col with about half the work of the bros that go to school, staff, and command.

Edit: sorry I missed the original question about AAD, no idea about that one.

Edited by WHAP

....The good news is if you never go to school in-res and check all your boxes you may be able to make Lt Col with about half the work of the bros that go to school, staff, and command.

Or even O-6. I know a guy...

Edited by Learjetter