SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

I knocked it out as a LT during MQT. I studied gouge for 1 hr before every test and passed easily. I think it is easier to spend the 6-9 hrs over a couple months and just get it done. So many people, including our SQ/CC, asked me if I had it done and most all of them looked shocked when I said yes. It's easy, just knock it out while there is still good gouge out there.

• 1 month later...

Well - seems like this thread has been hijacked by the SOS Crowd. But, if anyone out there is interested in the ACSC/Masters Distance Learning (DL) Course, I literally just finished it a few weeks ago (just in bloody time, if you know what I mean) and here are my random thoughts on this course:

--It's a long one, took me about 2 years, from the time I started, I did back-to-back courses all the way through and even double-pumped two courses one term.

--There are TEN total courses plus your Research Thesis (25 pages +-5).

--Each course takes 8 weeks, you can take more than one at a time (not recommended) but all courses start and end on the same day (the terms are all synched up).

--You can pick (somewhat) what order you would like to take your courses; some have prerequisites.

--Each course contains 7x weekly online discussion questions (forum format), approx 2x papers (1x800 words, 1x1800 words), some courses have a powerpoint assignment as well.

--There are ZERO tests in this course -- all "exams" are papers or powerpoint assignments.

--The classes are all tied to the Eastern time zone (e.g. each week's classes start Monday morning (EST) and end Sunday night (EST). This can be a bummer for deployed guys on a totally independent optempo and battlerhythm.

--You must log on to the internet as a minimum to download your assignment/readings and to post your discussions and/or submit assignments.

--In the end you get credit for: JPME Phase 1, ACSC, and a Masters Degree -- did I mention it is free with no need for educational assistance and zero ADSC gained?

--Overall I thought it was better (read: less work) than the cookie cutter Torou Univ online Masters.

--You get to pick your topic for your Thesis (as long as it gets approved) - please don't be the umpteenth guy that writes about the AF PT Test!!!!

--You have to buy all of your books (or share with buddies that are in the other courses).

Here are some things I found annoying in the course:

--Getting docked a few points because I listed my instructed as COL instead of Col. on my paper cover sheet (I like the Army way better than the AF way)

--Having to explain to my classmates why the GWOT is a SOF-centric war

--Having to explain to my classmates that there is a war going on outside of IZ and AF

--Listening to people who actually believe that the conventional air force is waging war in cyberspace

I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Yeah - you need to be a Major-select. Then all you have to do is apply via the AU secure website (via the Portal).

I don't give out any career advice since I'm not a Company Man like Toro, but I would recommend guys sign up for this course right after they get their line number. Waiting too long can hurt you - IF you have aspirations to be selected for School in residence as an O-4...

You hit the nail on the head, though -- this program is great for slackers like me that never got their Masters (following the guidance of Johnny Jumper) then suddenly realized there was work to be done... Kill two birds with one painless but annoying stone. Guess it will take another VMI-grad SECAF to remove the silly Masters requirement again...

Well - seems like this thread has been hijacked by the SOS Crowd. But, if anyone out there is interested in the ACSC/Masters Distance Learning (DL) Course, I literally just finished it a few weeks ago (just in bloody time, if you know what I mean) and here are my random thoughts on this course:

Pile on ... I also did the ACSC/Masters thing.

(1) - The books. Many are available electronically in a DRM'd PDF format for 10-50% of the price of a physical book. Also the electronic format is searchable (see #2).

(2) - The Papers, don't fear them. Some people get excited about writing that much. 95% of the reading material provided is given in PDF format. When you write a paper, it is very easy to search terms and ideas in the PDF and find the facts to fit your ideas (as opposed to shaping your ideas to fit the facts). Vista allows you to search the contents of each file within a folder simultaneously ... which speeds things up a lot and adds a lot of depth if you have all the material saved locally. Perhaps a bit "intellectually Lazy" ... but remember the goal.

(3) - You can start doubling up classes after your first 3 are complete (not including the orientation). I doubled up a lot and finished in a little over a year. The "counselors" are getting a lot better at recommending which classes "fit" well (syllabus, assignment, and content-wise) together for doubling up.

If you have any questions ... feel free to PM, etc.

Guest C-21 Pilot

Cooter, Schokie, and the others going soon...

I and ASU Pilot are graduating tomorrow (class 09-C)....here are a few nuggets.

1.) I didn't have a car, and didn't need one. There was plenty of folks in my flight who were more than willing to drive, or let me borrow their rental if needed. You will find that 99.69% of the time, there is a dinner train going somewhere...you won't need to drive.

2.) Restaurants - for BBQ, two places. I've eaten at Jim N' Nicks (in Prattville) BBQ 6 times since I've been here. Pretty good food, GREAT service, and the best freakin' cheese biscuits. The other place we found is called Fat Daddy's (also in Prattville)...but is hard to find w/out a GPS. For Fat Daddy's, the food, in my opinion is better....but not oriented as JnNicks...but it's BBQ. Also, the BoneFish Grill is a popular place which we went to several times. Also, definately hit up Sinclair's. This is a local spot across from the Ten Forty Eight Bar....very cool. Call ahead and get outside seating. Lastly, Five Guys burgers. You have to try this place....I was blown away (sts) as it made In and Out look like Mickey-D's.

3.) Bars. We made the "mistake" of going to Woodmere's (twice)....a total ghetto place w/ your standard dub music. A bit shady, but not a bad place (no cover for military)...there are better. My suggestion, and is where our class hung out, is The Exchange (free cover), which is an outside bar co-located w/ the Renassiance (sp?) Hotel. This is walking distance to the Biscuits Field and in the downtown area. Games start in a few weeks. For The Exchange, it's a bit pricey...$7 Crown and Coke, $15 Cigar type location, but the atmosphere and sophistication (outside fire pits, etc), and the crowd, allow for the exhuberant cost to remain reasonable - plus some of the bands that were there were some of the best I've heard in a while. (But, you can drink cheaper elsewhere). Other places we went were the Montgomery Brew Pub. This reminded me of your typical college bar scene w/ live music (sometimes a $5-8 cover). Also, co-located across from Sinclair's (read #2) is Ten Forty Eight and Bud's...both were pretty cool, but I was too drunk to remember.

Other In-residence tidbits...

1.) Make the most of your flight. Understand that there WILL be tools there. Sorry. Get around it. Don't cut the legs of your flight members. help out the weaker ones. Don't be too vocal - understand that this is a leadership program (cough, cough) and there are varying opinions.

2.) Some folks actually think that "they" are on the tip of the spear, and will try to talk it up. Bring your experience to the game and learn from each other.

3.) The test is fairly difficult. Don't blow it off, but at the sametime, don't kill yourself for the first 3 weeks worrying about it. I studied for a week (approx 3 hours a night) and made a 87.5%.

4.) If you are not in shape, you will not get in shape here. There is a 1.5 mile run on Day 2, and a 3 mile run (coupled w/ problem solving which makes for about a 5 mile run) near the end. Be dedicated to working out....but don't kill yourself gearing up for SOS.

5.) Stay away from the Chow Hall...2 classmate got the Turkish trots after experimenting there on Day 3.

6.) Don't be "that" guy...

7.) If you want to get Top Third, DG, etc...don't step over someone to get there. If you are worthy, it will come to you.

8.) Have a good time. I actually wasn't looking forward to coming here....but, I have to say that I'm glad I did. My flight (C-30) was a laid back clique who all drank Crown & Coke, listened to Randy Rogers, Johnny Cash and Snoop Dogg, and went fishing after class. I met some really, really quaility people here and will maintain that relationship until I retire, and probably years after that. Yes, there were some tools, but we sharpened them and by last weekend, I think that they saw the big picture.

**Things that stood out for me as being enjoyable: Project X, Job Brief's, some of the guest speakers, FLickerball (although ASUPilot's flight whooped on us - we were pretty hung over that game).

Things that I hated - Project X, Job Briefs, some of the guest speakers, FLickerball, etc.

Good luck, and PM if you want more info (hint)...

Edited by C-21 Pilot

• 1 month later...
Guest Joshmoe
I'll be there, found out while I was gone for the past 6 weeks, wife is thrilled. I hope my flight is cool and doesn't expect me to hang around every weekend to practice talking in public. Any recent gouge? Has Montgomery miraculously changed?

:beer:

I just finished this past class. Actually had a decent time--due soley to the fact that my flight was cool and so was our flight commander.

The course is apparently undergoing some significant changes. Flickerball content has apprently been dramatically reduced to the tune of taking about 36 hours of that dumb game out of the curriculum. Not sure what it's being replaced with.

Last time I had been in Montgomery was about five years ago. I actually thought it had improved some over my memories of the early 2004 timeframe. Directly outside the base gates is still a dump, but the little downtown area near the baseball stadium is making an effort.

• 1 month later...

I’m slow on the uptake…but what is the final story with SOS and flickerball? Are they still killing Fridays with it…but just not using it for points? A complete waste of time…the only redeeming thing was beer at the end…and not the swill-foam out of the “grapecrusher” keg. Now there was an “award” that shoes and shoe spouses (and shoe kids?) would get all excited about. God…choke yourselves.

I never understood why mid to senior level captains…most with deployment experience…many with combat experience (in the air…or on the ground) had to kill four weeks solving logic puzzles and engaging in team building activities…not to mention the “command post exercise” and its ugly twin the CAOC simulation.

Really? That’s the best thing you can do with 500+ 0-3s during a four week period? While there were plenty of decent things (some of the briefs were very good) they were not the focus. I recall one clueless member of my flight…thought a C-17 was a fighter and believed any job brief by a pilot was too technical…walked out of the Irregular Warfare Wing concept brief saying “well, that was a waste of time. Why are they telling us about that?” Some folks do not get it….but SOS does not tell them otherwise. Look at the sister services and what they do at their SOS-equivalents (USMC EWS) and you’ll see why we are laughed at. Figuring out what colors go with what numbers…playing flickerball…writing an MFR…that’ll help us win the fight.

The AF has changed in the past 30 years…but the SOS curriculum has not. There is a problem with that. Dig up the flick fields, build the M2 Center for Common Sense Leadership.

• 3 months later...

Quick question for any recent SOS grads....the SOS website says to not book any departing flights before 1400 on graduation day. What time did you all finish graduation/anything else you had to do that day? Is there any way I could make a 1330 flight?

Also, anyone on here in class 10C, starting 22 Feb?

Quick question for any recent SOS grads....the SOS website says to not book any departing flights before 1400 on graduation day. What time did you all finish graduation/anything else you had to do that day? Is there any way I could make a 1330 flight?

Also, anyone on here in class 10C, starting 22 Feb?

We (09F - Sep grad) were done by around 0930. The "graduation" ceremony was the most ridiculous faggy AF circle jerk I've ever encountered. Unfortunately they don't hand you your certificate until that is over, but I was still back in the dorms by 1000. You'd obviously be pressing your luck a little, but a 1330 should be doable.

Edited by HercDude

My squadron wasn't going to pay for a rental car, so I drove my own POV there. A 12 hour one-way trip turned into $850 in my pocket. I spent much less than that in gas, plus I had my car there. However, I didn't use it much during SOS. Almost everyone else in my flight had a rental/POV, so there was no shortage of transportation for lunch/dinner/booze pushes.

I found out several months in advance of my SOS sentence as well. I guess that's the advantage of being a CGO in an AETC squadron. There wasn't much competition, so SQ leadership was able to plan out the SOS slots well in advance.

• 3 months later...
Guest EN_GRAD

Are SOS by correspondents test scores sent to your Commander or considered for selection to go in-residence? Or is it a no shit pass/fail it doesn't matter if you min-run every test deal?

Are SOS by correspondents test scores sent to your Commander or considered for selection to go in-residence? Or is it a no shit pass/fail it doesn't matter if you min-run every test deal?

Pass/fail. All they see is a "P" for your test score. And yes, the gouge is good enough. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Major's board coming up in Dec 2010 and my commander wants to send me to SOS in the summer. I already have correspondence done. I heard you need a waiver past 3 years as Capt, but who grants the waiver and when is it too late to go?

• 1 month later...

can you vouch for allpme.com?

Remember, allpme is just some yahoo like you or I who is posting his/her answers to the study questions. I used it for reference to check against my own stuff and most of it was good. I'd occasionally find nuggets of info that I didn't already know, and there was some stuff that was completely out to lunch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, just took test 2 today. I passed by the last thin hair on my ass. I will say that the gouge is adequate, but only just barely. Test 2 is definitely much harder than test 1, and is the shoe-iest, queepiest crap you may ever see in your life to date. I would review the gouge VERY carefully and be sure to understand the concepts before taking the test. Simply remembering what the gouge says may not be enough to common-sense a few of the questions. Being that this test is clearly written by shoes for shoes, common sense may not be enough.

Ok, just took test 2 today. I passed by the last thin hair on my ass. I will say that the gouge is adequate, but only just barely. Test 2 is definitely much harder than test 1, and is the shoe-iest, queepiest crap you may ever see in your life to date. I would review the gouge VERY carefully and be sure to understand the concepts before taking the test. Simply remembering what the gouge says may not be enough to common-sense a few of the questions. Being that this test is clearly written by shoes for shoes, common sense may not be enough.

Napoleon is spot on. Took test 2 (Course 20) last week, and passed by a slim margin. The gouge is good enough, but I wouldn't cram for just a few hours on test two. Understand the concepts.

Took test 3 today, and it was MUCH easier. Scored very well with a minimum of studying. That said, there was much less material to memorize.

I think I've already forgotten most of it. Short term memory *flush*.

• 2 months later...

I failed by the slimmest margin on my 1st attempt (no real foul), so don't just use the gouge alone. The first test is easy enough to walk in and take it on the first day. The second test is not.

BTW, I retook it and passed in the mid-80s. Read the gouge first and then browse through all the materials for the key points, it'll make 'em stick and you can filter out the useless stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

afdriver.com was the centerpoint of a recent, huge investigation of SOS cheating. Not sure why they shut down, but I do know that multiple people were investigated by OSI for allegedly cheating. That it was related to some kid writing in his SOS course critque that he thought it was silly that people actually try to do SOS legitimately when there was a website that had a lot of the questions and answers to the tests. This is the reason for the revamped tests a while back. I think the owner of the site may still be in the USAF, so he was probably "pressured" to shut down the site.

I think you guys may be overestimating the 'gouge' available. The stuff I have seen is literally nothing more than cliff notes type stuff on the readings. Even the shoeiest shoeclerk would probably be unable to misconstrue a rule to prohibit it. That being said, people around here are going to be very hesitant to share anything that might have the chance of coming back to haunt them with someone who just joined the board to try to get gouge.

Just got this from home station:

A XXXXXX member was recently caught using "allpme.com" or a similar website to gather gouge for SOS in correspondence. This is considered cheating and will not be tolerated. DO NOT go to these websites in an attempt to get a leg up over everyone else trying to make it through PME honestly...you will be caught.

Thoughts?