SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

I started right after Thanksgiving and finished all 8 self-paced courses by Christmas. I have done the applied classes all back-to-back and will finish the last one on March 23. So it will be a little less than 4 months. Like others have said, I don't think it is possible to do it in less time because of the delays between applied classes. The key is that when you finish a self-paced class, and your next class is applied, go in and sign up for the applied class then wait a day or so til the registration goes through and then immediately start your next self-paced class.

• 1 month later...

Seeking some help/insight if there are any folks at Maxwell. I'm attempting to be as proactive as possible without pushing the limits of being overbearing.

Situation: I'm between UPT and follow-on training. I've got 4 months of nothingness and my family has already departed the area to visit extended family before we go OCONUS. I'm an alternate for the SOS class starting 24 March. My Sq/CC knows that I'm willing to drive to Maxwell and scratch at the windows to get in, but I'm afraid the folks who need to know, don't know. (I'm referring to the last minute fill in for no-shows).

Anyone have any other idea of how to get this thing done?

I'd rather do this now while already geographically separated from the fam and before getting mission qual'd again.

Do they tell you what alternate number you are? Guaranteed about 16-19 people will fail the PFT, then you'll get alt'd in a week after the thing starts, win win lose (you still lose since you have to waste 7 weeks of your life).

This year's IDE/SDE PSDM came out on Friday. It specifically mentions that school selects will not be allowed to sign up for ACSC/AWC DL until they are vectored to a program which requires its completion (e.g. Legislative Fellowship). Seems like a win in the battle against practice bleeding.

• Upvote 3

You can speed this up slightly by signing up for and completing the next self paced course in the sequence while waiting on your applied course to start.

Actually, you can complete all the self paced courses before ever starting the first applied course, at least it let me do that.

Do they tell you what alternate number you are? Guaranteed about 16-19 people will fail the PFT, then you'll get alt'd in a week after the thing starts, win win lose (you still lose since you have to waste 7 weeks of your life).

Just as long as he doesn't go the route of a female LtCol guest speaker we had....she actually drove to SOS without orders (verbal or written) because she "thought she was supposed to go" or something to that effect. In any case, she came across as a total idiot and made us wonder how the hell she was selected to talk to us, let alone make it to O-5. Insert your own theories on that one....

This year's IDE/SDE PSDM came out on Friday. It specifically mentions that school selects will not be allowed to sign up for ACSC/AWC DL until they are vectored to a program which requires its completion (e.g. Legislative Fellowship). Seems like a win in the battle against practice bleeding.

Yea, I read that too. I took it as just another perk for the 'Selects'. The rest of us (80% of the AF) will still have to do it in correspondence before we are competitive to go in residence. But even that might not be worth it (as far as going to school, still worth it as far as getting promoted) as AFPC announced last year that for the next three years virtually no candidates will have the chance to go to school as AFPC over produced selects compared to the number of actual school slots.

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Astronauts_train_at_Maxwell_999.html

So apparently we are spreading this to other organizations:

international-astronauts-project-x-leade

The training was modified over the course of a year to fit the astronauts' training needs in a coordinated effort between NASA and the Academy of Military Science here on Maxwell AFB, said Lt. Col. Reid Rasmussen, the AMS commander.

It took them longer than a year to redesign!!

"The way we ran the LRC for NASA is very different than how we would run it for our students," Rasmussen said. "They are more highly trained and come with a much broader skill set than your average lieutenant shows up with."

Copy, this course is designed for idiots.

The AMS instructors provided them with distractors and inputs to constantly test their ability to operate in a high stress environment. "Our instructor core gets to grow out this experience," Rasmussen said. "Just getting outside of your comfort zone as an instructor to broaden some of the things that we are allowing them to do is a way to make our instructors think a little bit more, be ready to debrief something they not have ever seen before. It's definitely beneficial to both sides.

"outside of your comfort zone"... WOW, I've got to sit down, crack a beer and have a serious debrief after this one.

I don't know why that pic reminded me of it...but during this last SOS class, our Flt/CC told us the higher ups decided to start using the "Lego Movie" as the leadership film they show midway through the course. Great direction we're headed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was extremely embarrassed when we did our trade with the Maneuver Captains Career Course and got an Army Infantry Captain. SOS in its infinite wisdom had us making towers out of spaghetti noodles and marshmallows.

"Is this what you guys do all the time here?"

"Nah dude, last week we played with puzzles and watched a Hollywood movie."

• Upvote 4

Almost worse was the exchange with the NCO academy - our flight had an infantry Marine who'd been to AFG x3 and Iraq x1. If that guy didn't already think 90% of the AF was a bunch of useless asshats, he sure did after that. At least he was smart enough to see there is the other 10%. It was hilarious and embarrassing at the same time to listen to the "analyst" who admittedly worked from home 2 days a week on a normal basis argue how irreplaceable she was and vital to the military, then try to pull rank on the Marine when he respectfully argued nobody is irreplaceable.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why that pic reminded me of it...but during this last SOS class, our Flt/CC told us the higher ups decided to start using the "Lego Movie" as the leadership film they show midway through the course. Great direction we're headed in.

Can't be worse than Red Tails.

So what does ol "CZ" get pissed at these days since morale patches are allowed?

He got real antsy anytime one of the speakers got anywhere near their 60 minute cutoff and ran up on stage to stop them. Except for the one guy talking about the Tuskegee Airmen...he went well over his 90 minute allotment, and CZ was nowhere to be seen.

• Upvote 2

He got real antsy anytime one of the speakers got anywhere near their 60 minute cutoff and ran up on stage to stop them. Except for the one guy talking about the Tuskegee Airmen...he went well over his 90 minute allotment, and CZ was nowhere to be seen.

Well as a graduated squadron, and wing commander...

• Upvote 1

Well as a graduated squadron, and wing commander...

Didn't know anything about this guy until I checked his bio.

Humility is an underestimated and misunderstood art.

Gentlemen, take note: Nobody cares if you commanded the squadron or wing that won x or y award. That's PRF fodder, not bio bullets. Don't take anything away from your people or their effort. Ever.

Technique only.

Chuck

Edit: spelling, call out

Edited by Chuck17

Yes? Please, continue. I'm not sure what being a Sq/Wing king has to do with it

Disclaimer: My sarcasm detector may be inop this afternoon, apologies.

I'm guessing that's how he qualifies each nugget of advice he dispenses to the crowd.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that's how he qualifies each nugget of advice he dispenses to the crowd.

Yup every time he got up on stage...although his phlegm filled lisp speech detracts from all of his attempts at dispensing verbal greatness

• Upvote 2

The best is when HE personally talks about toxic leadership. Apparently the FLT/CCs all take over/unders on how many times he uses the wing/sq/cc line per class.