SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

Not quite sure what you're asking, but you are eligible to enroll in Course 20 (SOS by correspondence) as soon as you are selected for promotion to Captain (so everyone who got notified on this most recent board could enroll right now). They have yet to roll out the new course so you can still enroll in the old one...latest guesstimate I heard was sometime before the end of the year for the switchover, so if you want to get in on the old course now is the time.

Any AFI cites? Several of the Lts in my shop that got picked up on the last board are trying to sign up; some were able to but the education center is refusing to sign up anyone who is more than 6 months from pin-on (so the summer session commissionees are getting screwed).

http://www.au.af.mil/au/soc/course_20.html

Eligibility.

US armed forces officers (Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, and Civil Air Patrol) selected for the grade of captain (0-3) or above are eligible for enrollment into the SOS DL course. Federal civilian employees in the grades of GS-9, WG-10, WL-9, and WS-8 and above who possess regionally-accredited baccalaureate degrees and who have completed their probationary periods (that is, have finished one year as federal employees) may enroll. International officers and civilians may refer to AFI 36-2301, Paragraph 11.3 for enrollment criteria and procedures.

There are no time-in-grade restrictions for any of the eligible categories. For example, the SOS

resident program’s 7-year TAFCS restriction (ETCA 36-2223, formerly AFCAT) for active duty officers does not apply to this distance learning program.

If you finish SOS by correspondence your SURF will reflect completion. It doesn't matter which DL course you complete. No need to do multiple versions of DL SOS.

Your SURF still reflects Non-Res or Res, but you are right there is no identification as to which version of Non-Res you do. In theory it shouldn't matter Non-Res vs Res, but unfortunately it does.

Your SURF still reflects Non-Res or Res, but you are right there is no identification as to which version of Non-Res you do. In theory it shouldn't matter Non-Res vs Res, but unfortunately it does.

You're correct. I did both (sts) and my SURF says something like SOS Res/Non-Res. In the end as long as you get it done it doesn't matter the course version.

• 5 weeks later...

I get the distinct honor of attending America's finest learning institution and need some advice. Anyone know of any good places to stay off base while attending SOS? I'll be taking my wife, two very small children and possibly a cat (optional, yet desired). Yes, I like cats. Anyone know of any good places to stay?

Also, besides service dress, a few flight suits, and PT gear, is there anything else that's required? Do I need to bring my ABUs? Honestly, I bought them when the BDUs went out of fashion, but I've never even worn them besides trying them on. I don't really want to mess them up the first time I wear them.

Edited by sky_king

I get the distinct honor of attending America's finest learning institution and need some advice. Anyone know of any good places to stay off base while attending SOS? I'll be taking my wife, two very small children and possibly a cat (optional, yet desired). Yes, I like cats. Anyone know of any good places to stay?

Also, besides service dress, a few flight suits, and PT gear, is there anything else that's required? Do I need to bring my ABUs? Honestly, I bought them when the BDUs went out of fashion, but I've never even worn them besides trying them on. I don't really want to mess them up the first time I wear them.

I stayed at the hometowns suites with the wife and baby In prattville and it was ok. You need abus.

Do I need to bring my ABUs?

Yes, you need them for Project X. Get your shit sewn on.

Lots of families in the TLF on-base. Guys said the TLFs were smaller than the rooms that everyone else was staying in. TLFs were pretty nasty too.

I would try a house rental on airbnb. Might be a bit more money than you want to spend though.

Yes, you need them for Project X.

This SHIT is still going on? Play deployed time...because we don't go enough or know what it's like?

Or is this the leadership course. I've flushed most of the OTS/ASBC specific course names.

Edited by 17D_guy

Leadership course...build a bridge with 3 pieces of rope or whatever.

Still do the peer smear at the end?

Do people actually believe it makes you a better leader later on? Is there any proof this helps people to do it once or twice... then never see each other again? I could understand if I did that with a unit I was going to be with for a few years.

Still do the peer smear at the end?

Do people actually believe it makes you a better leader later on? Is there any proof this helps people to do it once or twice... then never see each other again? I could understand if I did that with a unit I was going to be with for a few years.

Yes, still have the ratings at the end. Had a good flight so they viewed it as more of an 8 week break from work/drinking opportunity

I see it as an 8 week vacation with the family to beautiful Montgomery, Alabama! I actually enjoy the 'leadership' obstacle courses. They're better than power point lectures and at least you have a chance to demonstrate some kind of pseudo real world problem solving.

I see it as an 8 week vacation with the family to beautiful Montgomery, Alabama! I actually enjoy the 'leadership' obstacle courses. They're better than power point lectures and at least you have a chance to demonstrate some kind of pseudo real world problem solving.

More importantly, those incapable of doing so have the chance to demonstrate that they cannot.

This is what I got out of it when I went. It was a good chance to go out and drink beer with a bunch of folks I never would've hung out with otherwise. I didn't take much from the academic side, and didn't spend all my time trying to be DG, but thought it was an overall good experience. Hell, we even found a way to enjoy the flickerball. Like most things, it's all about what you make it and what you decide you want to take away from it.

Yes, still have the ratings at the end. Had a good flight so they viewed it as more of an 8 week break from work/drinking opportunity

I see it as an 8 week vacation

I'm hoping I get the same class. My ASBC one was like this, almost to a fault, "No, I don't want to carry you from the club to the dorms."

Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...