Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

Any of you guys ride on base with this vest? It looks a lot better than the typical road guard vest, plus its got a waterproof pouch on the back and an ID card thingy for the front. I think I might pick one up here in Tucson.

BTW, during a safety day coming up here at D-M, the safety guys are going to inspect everyones bike, MSF card, and PPE and if your in compliance they'll give you an ACC sticker or something. I think this will help out the whole, "show me your MSF card" at the gate. Sounds gay, but it'll save hassle going through the gate.

Yes I have the vest and it works great with the ID card. They just scan it through the holder so you don't have to remove it. Only after 10:00 pm is when you have to remove it so they can see the back. I've never been asked for a safety card, just had to give a copy to the safety office.

Any of you guys ride on base with this vest? It looks a lot better than the typical road guard vest, plus its got a waterproof pouch on the back and an ID card thingy for the front. I think I might pick one up here in Tucson.

BTW, during a safety day coming up here at D-M, the safety guys are going to inspect everyones bike, MSF card, and PPE and if your in compliance they'll give you an ACC sticker or something. I think this will help out the whole, "show me your MSF card" at the gate. Sounds gay, but it'll save hassle going through the gate.

I have that same vest - seems to be pretty much what I've seen all the military guys around here use. I bought it 2.5 years ago (the orange version) and it's faded quite a bit from being used in the sun. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't breathe very well. I wear it most of the year, but when it gets hot, it makes my mesh jacket pretty much useless so I go back to the mesh road-guard vest. The pocket in the back is great for a spare set of gloves, your wallet or whatever. The ID holder works well, and there's also a zip-up pocket on the right front that'll work for a small cellphone or whatnot. I put my garage door opener in that pocket and can work it with gloves and without unzipping it - pretty nice when I get home...

If you wear a backpack and want to put the vest over it, you'll need to extend the sides a little. I went to REI and bought a longer section of thin bungy-cord for each side. Works great!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Flying Nole

Does anyone on here own or has anyone ridden a Yamaha TW200? I'm looking for a good cheap bike that I can learn on in the dirt, that I can occasionally ride the few miles work. It will probably be used for 80% street/20% dirt. What I like about the TW200 is the fact that for around $2500 I can get a 2005 or newer with low miles that is pretty cheap to work on(Change sprockets, etc). Any input from you guys would be great.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...10/0/specs.aspx

Hey I just got an 06 Katana 750 a few months ago. I'm going up to Deals Gap next weekend. Anyone been? Looks like an awesome ride.

Yes a few times. The cops have gotten bad on the Dragon so watch out. There are plenty other roads to ride like the Hellbender and Cherohala Skyway. Not sure where you are staying but there is a hotel in Robbinsville, NC called Two Wheel Inn (http://www.twowheelinn.com/). You have your own motorcycle garage attached to your room.

If you ride the Dragon then I definitely recommend riding very early in the morning. It gets busy quick.

Falls on the Skyway

trip040.jpg

On the Dragon

RiveratGap1.jpg

Listen to Bluto, he's giving some good advice. For more info on the Dragon, go to the Tail of the Dragon web site. It even has a link to the Two Wheels Inn. Have fun; but be careful. The Dragon takes several motorcyclists every year. I see where it took its first on 28 April, a 'Busa rider from Maryland.

And if you really want a motorcycle adventure, ride the Alps. Nothing comes close.

Cheers! M2

Does anyone on here own or has anyone ridden a Yamaha TW200? I'm looking for a good cheap bike that I can learn on in the dirt, that I can occasionally ride the few miles work. It will probably be used for 80% street/20% dirt. What I like about the TW200 is the fact that for around $2500 I can get a 2005 or newer with low miles that is pretty cheap to work on(Change sprockets, etc). Any input from you guys would be great.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...10/0/specs.aspx

I've got a few buddies that have or have had TW's. They're lots of fun as a little play bike. The fat back tire is perfect for sand and the low seat height is great for putzing around. It'd make the perfect bike to hang off the back of a motorhome for running to the store/cruising around camp.

How big are you (height/weight) - a 200 might get old really quickly, especially on the street (you mention 80% street). What's your dirt and/or street experience like? What's your commute like (I don't think I'd enjoy the TW on any type of freeway or for any longer distances)? What type of dirt are you interested in (sand/goat-trails/graded gravel roads)? Where do you live?

For $2500 you could probably find a late model (less than 5 years old) DRZ-400S that would probably be a better choice given your dirt/street percentages... It's a bit bigger (taller/heavier) but should have the power to pull you around the dirt and up to freeway speeds. Or pick up a used KLR-650 for the street (will do graded gravel and even more dirt if you can handle the weight) and a beater dirtbike (old XR-250 or something) to get your feet dirtier.

Edited by DigDug

Guest Flying Nole
I've got a few buddies that have or have had TW's. They're lots of fun as a little play bike. The fat back tire is perfect for sand and the low seat height is great for putzing around. It'd make the perfect bike to hang off the back of a motorhome for running to the store/cruising around camp.

How big are you (height/weight) - a 200 might get old really quickly, especially on the street (you mention 80% street). What's your dirt and/or street experience like? What's your commute like (I don't think I'd enjoy the TW on any type of freeway or for any longer distances)? What type of dirt are you interested in (sand/goat-trails/graded gravel roads)? Where do you live?

For $2500 you could probably find a late model (less than 5 years old) DRZ-400S that would probably be a better choice given your dirt/street percentages... It's a bit bigger (taller/heavier) but should have the power to pull you around the dirt and up to freeway speeds. Or pick up a used KLR-650 for the street (will do graded gravel and even more dirt if you can handle the weight) and a beater dirtbike (old XR-250 or something) to get your feet dirtier.

I've only ridden a couple times and never owned a bike, and this is going to be the bike I'm going to teach myself on. I'm 6ft, 165 lbs and right now my commute is around 10 miles each way, and mostly in town. I live on the outskirts of a town and the dirt bike side appealed to me because there's tons of dirt roads and trails around my house. I'm finished with school and I have four months to learn how to ride before I leave for OTS, then I'll have casual before UPT. I'm not sure how the areas are around most of the UPT bases but from searching it sounds like most of them are somewhat rural, with not much freeway cruising. I thought that a bike would be an easy way to get around, and make the quick trips on/off base while saving on gas. Like you stated I'm looking for something that I'll be rising mostly on street, but traditional street bikes don't really appeal to me because of the seating position. I'd like the bike to be somewhat new because I don't know much about maintenance, and I was looking at the TW because it has a great support forum and parts are cheap. I'll look at the bikes you recommended and I'd really appreciate any feedback you or anyone could give me.

I've only ridden a couple times and never owned a bike, and this is going to be the bike I'm going to teach myself on. I'm 6ft, 165 lbs and right now my commute is around 10 miles each way, and mostly in town. I live on the outskirts of a town and the dirt bike side appealed to me because there's tons of dirt roads and trails around my house. I'm finished with school and I have four months to learn how to ride before I leave for OTS, then I'll have casual before UPT. I'm not sure how the areas are around most of the UPT bases but from searching it sounds like most of them are somewhat rural, with not much freeway cruising. I thought that a bike would be an easy way to get around, and make the quick trips on/off base while saving on gas. Like you stated I'm looking for something that I'll be rising mostly on street, but traditional street bikes don't really appeal to me because of the seating position. I'd like the bike to be somewhat new because I don't know much about maintenance, and I was looking at the TW because it has a great support forum and parts are cheap. I'll look at the bikes you recommended and I'd really appreciate any feedback you or anyone could give me.

6' tall on a TW is going to be painful for anything other than a short jaunt - just my opinion. Have you sat on one? (Find your nearest Yamaha dealer and check it out).

You'll find that dual-sports are compromises and anything you get will either be good on the street or good in the dirt - but not do both very well. That's why I've got two :thumbsup: ... The 950 is great for the street, but heavy on the dirt (I'd call it a 90/10 - street/dirt bike - but way too much bike on both for a beginner) and the 450 is tiny for the street but awesome in the dirt (10/90 street/dirt bike).

If you're going to do mostly street, but want to try a graded fire road, I'd recommend the KLR-650. They've been around forever, are cheap to buy and maintain, and have better street manners than most of the dual-sports. If you don't mind less comfort on the street (wind/vibration/etc), go with the DRZ-400S and you'll have an easier time in the dirt.

Check out the ThumperTalk board. They've got a pretty good dual-sport forum where you can spend hours reading opinions on bikes.

Oh... and do yourself a favor and don't teach yourself (please, don't become a "self-taught" statistic)! Enroll in an MSF safety course. You'll need that course to ride on base anyways. Also, budget for some good safety gear (helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots, etc...)

Edited by DigDug

Guest Flying Nole

Thanks digdug! Looks like I've got some reading ahead of me.. Not your fault but I'm definitely confused on what to get now. The KLR-650 and DR-Z400S look like great bikes but looking into it the MPG they get isn't much better than my car(around 35mpg), which is one of the main reasons I was getting a bike. As much fun as it might be to have a bike that can hit the dirt, I might scrap the idea because of the limits it puts on my choices. Also, I'm not even sure if there are any good trails around pilot training bases, which is where I'll be for the next two or three years. I'm really just looking for something fun to ride and learn on that gets me from point a to point b with good gas mileage. I'll have to go to the dealership to sit on a few.

Thanks digdug! Looks like I've got some reading ahead of me.. Not your fault but I'm definitely confused on what to get now. The KLR-650 and DR-Z400S look like great bikes but looking into it the MPG they get isn't much better than my car(around 35mpg), which is one of the main reasons I was getting a bike. As much fun as it might be to have a bike that can hit the dirt, I might scrap the idea because of the limits it puts on my choices. Also, I'm not even sure if there are any good trails around pilot training bases, which is where I'll be for the next two or three years. I'm really just looking for something fun to ride and learn on that gets me from point a to point b with good gas mileage. I'll have to go to the dealership to sit on a few.

I have an '07 KLR, and just to give you an idea of mpg.....I get about 35-40 if I'm running out on the highway at 75+ mph, but slow down and you're mileage will go WAY up. When riding the streets to and from work, I'm averaging between 50-60, and on trail/dirt/fire roads I'm getting between 60-65. And I'm running almost everything stock.

Dual-sports aren't the most popular bikes out there, and while they do a couple of things well, they aren't GREAT at any one thing. You're not getting a Ninja & a KX all-in-one, so don't expect that out of the bike. The KLR is a GREAT bike if you know what you're getting into. Like said above, it's extremely reliable and easy to maintain. It's also VERY affordable compared to other bikes out there. I walked out with a brand new one last year for a little under $5K.

If you look, you can ALWAYS find places to go KLRing. Always. Any more ?s, PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone in Columbus ride? I'm debating if I should sell my bike and current car for a newer car. Are there any tracks near Columbus or good roads to ride?

Nope, no good roads/tracks, and tons of cops...sell your bike and get the car.

Anyone in Columbus ride? I'm debating if I should sell my bike and current car for a newer car. Are there any tracks near Columbus or good roads to ride?

Check out www.motorcycleroads.us for recommended roads. The Talladega National Forest is a nice area to ride but it is 2.5 hours away.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boom
I have a year of high school left and am going way out of state for college, anyone have a recomendation for a practical (mileage) and relatively cheap bike?

Used Ninja 250 or SV650.

Guest Boom
The Ninja looks good as far as mileage, handling, and price are concerned. Do you have a preference?

What I like isn't necessarily what you might like.

First bike was the 250 Ninja, rode the hell out of it in HS. Kawi finally updated the 250, but they still fly out of the dealers. You can find them just about anywhere. I'm currently looking for a SV650 as well for the woman to learn on, also plenty of them around, check $bay/craig's list. Should be able to get one of the two for around $3k or less. Most guys think they have outgrown them and sell quick to get that CBR/YZF/Gixxr!

Yeah, "naked" bikes are better for learners as a simple tip-over can be costly on a sportbike with full fairings. Trust me, I know that the hard way...

The Suzuki SV650 is a great choice, and there are others out there that are equally good.

Cheers! M2