Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

M2, were you guys at that motorcycle cafe place on west 337 last Sunday? I'm not sure exactly where but it was towards Camp Wood. Anyways just looked at your bike and thought I remember seeing it there. We rolled up in a group of about 6. Do you guys meet every Sunday?

Bluto

Are you talking about the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop in Leakey? We usually stop there after breakfast, but I wasn't out last Sunday. However, there is a guy on an 07 Repsol that also have black Alpinestar leathers who it may have been. I rode the Sunday prior and was out in the Jeep last Sunday.

Let me know if you plan on showing, I don't go every Sunday but the same crowd will be out there. Numbers fluctuate, especially after a track day, but someone will show up.

Cheers! M2

• 2 months later...

While crunching the numbers for getting an old bike to save gas over driving my truck to work every day, I called GEICO and they quoted me over 2K/yr - about 1700 of that was for the minimum level of medical payments coverage. I don't plan on having anyone else ride with me - is it safe to drop the medical option and just rely on TRICARE?

Guest soflguy
While crunching the numbers for getting an old bike to save gas over driving my truck to work every day, I called GEICO and they quoted me over 2K/yr - about 1700 of that was for the minimum level of medical payments coverage. I don't plan on having anyone else ride with me - is it safe to drop the medical option and just rely on TRICARE?

I believe that as long as you are wearing all the minimum safety equipment and weren't trying to do something "unsafe" like a wheelie, etc you are covered. I don't have any medical crap on mine.

I believe that as long as you are wearing all the minimum safety equipment and weren't trying to do something "unsafe" like a wheelie, etc you are covered. I don't have any medical crap on mine.

+2

Try State Farm for insurance too. Not sure of type of bike you're looking at but they only care about cc's.

Guest MizzNav

anyone on here ride cruisers? I currently have a 95 cbr 600, but its kinda small framed for me (6'2", 215lbs) and My wife isn't comfy on the back. I was thinking maybe a harley night rod, but i want to still be able to play with sportbikes, so i didn't know what kind of options are around.

Anyone with a VFR that rides distance? Or maybe a 'busa or something like that? Harley's are too expensive, i was wanting something around 7-10 Gs that was kinda sporty but fun long distance with someone on the back.

here's my bike:

Justin_Motorcycle_4_14_07.pdf

anyone on here ride cruisers? I currently have a 95 cbr 600, but its kinda small framed for me (6'2", 215lbs) and My wife isn't comfy on the back. I was thinking maybe a harley night rod, but i want to still be able to play with sportbikes, so i didn't know what kind of options are around.

Anyone with a VFR that rides distance? Or maybe a 'busa or something like that? Harley's are too expensive, i was wanting something around 7-10 Gs that was kinda sporty but fun long distance with someone on the back.

here's my bike:

I have a ZX-14 and love it! I've ridden it on a 1400/4-day road trip from the Smokies to NC and back thru TN and MO (SR-32 thru Mark Twain Nat'l Forest is sweet!) when I was stationed at Whiteman. I felt pretty good during the trip and constantly did 160-200 mile legs. My longest day was 480. My ass did get sore the last day (sts) but that's still with the stock seat. I've heard good things about Corbin seats but haven't tried one. The Concours 14 sport touring bike is out if you're interested in the sportbike look. I've heard many good things about it.

If you want a big cruiser then look at the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. My Dad has one and we've taken a road trip together through TN and it's a nice bike. He did well with it on the dragon too.

Concours 1400

08-concours-14.jpg

Guest echofox

Shop around for motorcycle insurance. I've got full coverage on my 82 and it costs just over $200 a year. Got mine through USAA. USAA doesn't actually provide the insurance, it is through progressive. Don't remember what type, if any, medical is on there although I think that there is some for riders.

Guest soflguy

Have any of yall used Motovation frame/swing arm sliders? I just ordered some today, because they looked pretty solid and some review places said they were, but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience with them. Thanks

Guest MizzNav
Have any of yall used Motovation frame/swing arm sliders? I just ordered some today, because they looked pretty solid and some review places said they were, but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience with them. Thanks

I have used the ebay cheapo ones twice, with one of them being a pretty solid impact (as a new rider) and they held up fine. I'm not sure if it helps, but if the cheap ones work, i am sure the more expensive ones will. Just make sure when you put them on they ar long anough to prevent the bodywork from touching the ground. I have heard the swingarm sliders help out quite a bit as well, since just frame sliders still leave the tail out to scratch a little.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so I underestimated the number of people out there who want to learn to ride and waited one day after online MSF registration opened. It's booked. So I'm looking into alternatives. The Harley-Davidson course appears legit... for $295. Can someone vouch for it and say that it's really worth the $295? My other option is to go to one of the MSF courses the day of and hope that there is a no-show. Anyone ever done this successfully?

-PD

Edited by Port Dog

Okay, so I underestimated the number of people out there who want to learn to ride and waited one day after online MSF registration opened. It's booked. So I'm looking into alternatives. The Harley-Davidson course appears legit... for $295. Can someone vouch for it and say that it's really worth the $295? My other option is to go to one of the MSF courses the day of and hope that there is a no-show. Anyone ever done this successfully?

-PD

It books up quick in the summer months. I tried to do the walk-on thing to no avail. There were three other people there trying to walk-on and we drew straws for the one slot that was open...

In LA MSF does courses all year. The guy at the MSF course I did said that the Harley was a watered down version of the state course. He said that for the extra money you get a tour of the harley showroom and they try to push a Harley on you. You spend less time in the class and on the bike because you're in the showroom talking about their bikes. That's just hearsay, but it's what I've heard. However, it does accomplish the same thing as the state course if you can't wait to start riding...

Call a local motorcycle shop (not a Harley dealership) and ask about MSF courses. I think they run about $75 for the beginner or the experienced rider course. There is nothing the H-D course could teach that would be worth that money. I suspect a lot of the time is spent learning how to "polish your chrome" (STS)...

Otherwise, I would keep trying the free on-base course. So you show up and it's full...all you lose is about a half hour of your time. But you'll never know until you try...

And see if any other military installation near you has it.

Cheers! M2

Call a local motorcycle shop (not a Harley dealership) and ask about MSF courses. I think they run about $75 for the beginner or the experienced rider course. There is nothing the H-D course could teach that would be worth that money. I suspect a lot of the time is spent learning how to "polish your chrome" (STS)...

Otherwise, I would keep trying the free on-base course. So you show up and it's full...all you lose is about a half hour of your time. But you'll never know until you try...

And see if any other military installation near you has it.

Cheers! M2

Speaking of the on-base course... I'm about to go on active duty and go to ASBC. On the site they say that you have to make sure you meet all the military requirements before trying to ride on base. I'm thinking about taking my bike with me to ASBC. I was only aware of the safety requirements (helmet, long pants, long sleeves, reflective vest, etc.). I took the local MSF course and I have the motorcycle endorsement on my license. Is this enough or should I wait to get to my first base to take the base safety course? Does taking the state course satisfy the USAF requirements? Thanks.

Yeah, you're good. As long as you've taken any MSF course, you don't need to take it again on base. Well, except that I think some commands require you to retake it every two years.

I remember when I took my first USAF motorcycle safety course back in June 1982 ("Motor Cycle Challenges Course VII, IAW AFR 50-24" I still have the training certificate, the old blue ones that have the moon, a satellite, a rocket and some kind of futuristic jet on it...anyone remember those?), we were told it was the only course we would have to take during our entire career. Well, that may have been true at the time; but it sure wasn't true years later as I had to take it several more times during my career.

I haven't ridden to work for years, but I would suspect that with the base decal program gone, if you have all the proper gear on and show your ID, you most likely won't even be asked for a MSF card. Hell, I don't even know where mine is...

Cheers! M2

Here's the verbiage from AFI91-207 THE US AIR FORCE TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM

4.6. Motorcycle and ATV Operator Training.

4.6.1. Initial Training. All military personnel at any time, on or off an AF installation, and all AF civilian personnel on a AF installation or off an installation in a duty status who operate a motorcycle on a roadway, and all operators of government owned motorcycles, are required to attend and complete an approved motorcycle rider education course. Those seeking to become motorcycle operators on roadways must comply with the skills training, permit and license requirements of state, territory, host nation or applicable Status of Forces agreements. MAJCOM or equivalent (unless delegated to the installation) will develop procedures to comply with the requirement.

4.6.2. Absent exceptional circumstances, personnel should not be required to wait more than 30 days during the local riding season to receive training. Commanders may authorize riders awaiting training to ride on and off base for up to 30 days in accordance with MAJCOM or equivalent guidance, provided riders are complying with all permit and license requirements of the state, territory, host nation or applicable Status of Forces agreements.

4.6.3. Recommended Refresher Training. Personnel as listed in paragraphs 1.1.1.1. and 1.1.1.2. who operate a motorcycle on a roadway, and all operators of government owned motorcycles, should attend and complete at least one MAJCOM approved motorcycle rider education course every three years. This may include retaking a previously completed course, completing an additional hands-on course or module, or completing an instructor certification course or workshop. MAJCOM or equivalent (unless delegated to the installation) should develop procedures as necessary.

4.6.4. Commanding officers of installations within the same commuting area as other DoD installations are encouraged to establish joint training programs.

4.6.5. Air Force Foreign Nationals (AFFN) working at overseas installations will comply with the Status of Forces Agreement in effect at the overseas location. If training is required, it will be provided at no cost.

4.6.6. All other retirees, contractors, dependents, and civilians who operate a motorcycle while on an AF installation are encouraged, but not required, to attend an approved motorcycle rider safety course. Installation safety offices may provide this training on a space-available basis.

4.6.7. Air Force and DoD Approved Motorcycle Rider Education Training Courses.

4.6.7.1. Safety training must include the appropriate Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or MSF-based State curriculum for motorcycle operators. Courses must be taught by certified or licensed instructors and include hands-on training, a riding skills evaluation and a knowledge based evaluation. Commanders shall accept the completion card of any MSF or MSF-based state motorcycle training course that includes a written and riding evaluation as proof of successful completion of the required training. The following are approved MSF hands-on courses that meet the DoD and Air Force initial course completion requirement for motorcycle operators:

4.6.7.1.1. Course IVA, Basic Rider Course (BRC). Courses in use, or used in the past, that meet this course completion requirement are the MSF BRC, Motorcycle Rider Course: Riding and Street Skills (MRC:RSS).

4.6.7.1.2. Course IVB, Experienced Rider Course. Courses in use, or used in the past, that meet this course completion requirement are the MSF Experienced Rider Course Suite (ERC-S), and the Experienced Riders Course (ERC).

4.6.7.2. Invalid DoD and Air Force Sponsored Motorcycle Courses. Courses used by the DoD and Air Force in the past, which no longer meet the current hands-on training requirement, include MOST, MOST II (Alt MOST), MMII, and a classroom only course previously called Motorcycle Challenges Course VII.

4.6.7.3. Operators of motorcycles with attached sidecars or three wheeled motorcycles do not require MSF training. In the event the side car is removed MSF training is required.

A few points:

4.6.1 - If you're active duty, you HAVE to have the course before your ride, on or off base. (Can anyone say "line of duty determination"?)

4.6.2 - The base is supposed to bend over backwards to get you the training (shouldn't have to wait more than 30 days). Commanders MAY authorize a 30 day waiver (good luck getting that one).

4.6.7.1 - The official MSF course counts and commanders SHALL accept completion as proof of training. I read that to mean that MSF out in town works just like base course.

4.6.7.3 - Get a sidecar, you don't have to deal with all this training crap!!!

Edited by Toro

Are these on-base courses at AD bases only? I'm just a bum.

Nothing wrong with being a bum! :rock:

As for your question, call your safety office!

Cheers! M2

Here's the verbiage from AFI91-207 THE US AIR FORCE TRAFFIC SAFETY PROGRAM

A few points:

4.6.1 - If you're active duty, you HAVE to have the course before your ride, on or off base. (Can anyone say "line of duty determination"?)

4.6.2 - The base is supposed to bend over backwards to get you the training (shouldn't have to wait more than 30 days). Commanders MAY authorize a 30 day waiver (good luck getting that one).

4.6.7.1 - The official MSF course counts and commanders SHALL accept completion as proof of training. I read that to mean that MSF out in town works just like base course.

4.6.7.3 - Get a sidecar, you don't have to deal with all this training crap!!!

You forgot one important point...

4.6.6. All other retirees, contractors, dependents, and civilians who operate a motorcycle while on an

AF installation are encouraged, but not required, to attend an approved motorcycle rider safety course.

Outstanding! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

You forgot one important point...

4.6.6. All other retirees, contractors, dependents, and civilians who operate a motorcycle while on an

AF installation are encouraged, but not required, to attend an approved motorcycle rider safety course.

Outstanding! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

That is outstanding for you retired guys...

Better go to the e-publishing site and search for 91-207 though. There's two pages of search results - yup you guessed it - command and base supplements.

Heck AETC's is longer than the basic pub and there appears to be two separate supplements!!!!

Guest loydma3

02 Yamaha R6- it looks alot different now since i flipped it at the track- thats my baby and i love her- almost as much as i love my wifepost-5235-1208919154_thumb.jpg

Edited by loydma3

Seriously Mom, it just followed me home from school!!!

Here's my new ride:

95007cf9.jpg

Brand new 2006 (leftover) KTM 950 Adventure...

95002hw2.jpg

The most fun I've had on pavement!!!

My other orange bike has been lonely without a big brother.

156632188myu3.jpg

That's a 2007 KTM 450 EXC - the most fun I've had off the pavement!!!

Any of you guys ride on base with this vest? It looks a lot better than the typical road guard vest, plus its got a waterproof pouch on the back and an ID card thingy for the front. I think I might pick one up here in Tucson.

BTW, during a safety day coming up here at D-M, the safety guys are going to inspect everyones bike, MSF card, and PPE and if your in compliance they'll give you an ACC sticker or something. I think this will help out the whole, "show me your MSF card" at the gate. Sounds gay, but it'll save hassle going through the gate.