Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

I'm looking to tow my motorcylce from Colorado Springs to TX for UPT.

Was wondering how well a motorcyle trailer that has the front wheel parked right up on the hitch with the back wheel rolling would be for that length of a trip.

Also if anyone might have a motorcyle trailer of any type to sell in the Springs area or any good suggestions for renting please send me a pm. Thanks.

Ego

I'm looking to tow my motorcylce from Colorado Springs to TX for UPT.

Was wondering how well a motorcyle trailer that has the front wheel parked right up on the hitch with the back wheel rolling would be for that length of a trip.

Also if anyone might have a motorcyle trailer of any type to sell in the Springs area or any good suggestions for renting please send me a pm. Thanks.

Ego

http://www.ourlocalguide.com/motorcyclecarrier/ will work if you've got a tow hitch. Also, if you've got room in your moving truck/trailer, you can just put your bike in there and pack your stuff around it (I know more than one person who has had to do that).

I've had my bike rolled into the same crate as my couch, but usually they will pack it in its own separate container. But if you are hauling yourself, it can easily be put into a U-haul. Probably better off being inside a truck instead of on a trailer, unless you are planning to drive straight through...

Cheers! M2

Guest Chinaman

I'd get the SV650 if it is clean. It would make an ok beginners bike and it won't be boring after a year of riding it. Buying any sportbike used, especially something that has been converted to a street fighter, is asking for trouble. Nine times out of ten the things have been ridden by young guys and abused. Wheelies, stoppies, etc all take their toll and lord knows if they changed the oil.

Guest IncompletePete

I second that, the SV650 would be a much better bet. It's an awesome bike, the British bike press say that it's an awesome bike for a beginner that you'll grow into and still be having fun on years down the line. You'll end up getting used to the power but the bike itself won't get dull. Also, it's a safer bet having a 'stock' machine.

Guest Xtndr50boom

First bike was a 99 CBR600F4, have had an 03 CBR600RR the last two years. NEVER lets me down!

DSC01841.jpg

The SV is a perfect first road bike for someone with dirt experience. It's quick but not super fast, it handles great (very light feel) and always gives you a grin. Once you put a pipe on it the sound is to die for. I like to think of the SV series as the thinking man's Ducati.

I like to think of the SV series as the thinking man's Ducati.

Good analogy! I love V-twin sportbikes, and the Ducatis much like every other Italian marque make great-looking machines, but mechanically they are a nightmare and expensive to own. The SV gives you all the characteristics of a Duc without the ass pain!

Cheers! M2

Actually those educated people will own an italian machine. Seems as neither of you have had the oppurtunity to own one or even ride them. Mechanically they are great and they ride awesome. You should really try them out. If you like the SV, then you will love an Aprilia or Ducati. That mechanical failure stuf is back in the older days...they compete now!!

Ride an 05 636. About to go to UPT. Anyone know if I will have any problems riding during UPT. How about going to trakcdays/Riding schools (if I can find the time)? Barber and Talladega are only 2 hours away :rock:

While I have no doubt that a modern Ducati is a mechanically sound machine, for the price you pay you can't touch the SV. A naked SV650 costs less than a ~600 monster has more power and will cost less in service costs. The deference only gets more pronounced when you start talking liter type displacement.

While I have no doubt that a modern Ducati is a mechanically sound machine, for the price you pay you can't touch the SV. A naked SV650 costs less than a ~600 monster has more power and will cost less in service costs. The deference only gets more pronounced when you start talking liter type displacement.

Im not saying an SV is a bad bike. I really really like them, and know many who use them for race bikes. I guess what Im trying to say is, there is a difference between the bikes. Just because its a v-twin doesnt compare it exactly with a Ducati. Would I buy a low end monster...probably not, but would I buy a Spoirt 1000, Paul Smart, Hypermotard, 1098...YES!! The bikes are made different. Are they the fastes or most powerfull...heck no....but they are fast and they are a joy to ride.

Find a place where you can demo ride something and Im sure you will see my point.

Why not try an Aprilia....italian design and beauty with very little maint costs!!!

post-333-1179332982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jalberts

Little maintenance costs on an Aprilia? Are you shitting me? I worked with a guy who had a brand new Futura when I was in Belgium, and I had to help him load it on a pick-up when it crapped out. My 14-yr-old Honda ST1100 was more reliable. I like Aprilias and Ducatis, but there isn't an Italian marque out there that is cheap to run or maintain. And there is a big difference between an SV650 and Italian V-twins, namely the price!

Cheers! M2

Sorry M2 but your dead wrong. I have owned 3 Aprilia's (RSV, Tuono, and a Futura) and had not had a single mechanical problem that was major. Only issue was a turn signal switch breaking, and that was covered under warranty on the RSV. I have put over 20k miles on those bikes and loved every single minute of it. Do some research and you will retract your statement.

Find yourself a dealer down there in TX and go for a test ride....I wont be surprised if you end up buying one.

I suggest www.af1racing.com or www.apriliaforum.com Some great info!!

Another alternative to the SV650 is the Kawasaki Ninja 650R.

Here's a picture:

201_EX650A7F_40103_R_scale.jpg

Mine's a 2006 (black), and I love it. Great starter bike with lots of potential once you get confident (like the SV650).

www.ninja650R.com

Sorry M2 but your dead wrong. I have owned 3 Aprilia's (RSV, Tuono, and a Futura) and had not had a single mechanical problem that was major. Only issue was a turn signal switch breaking, and that was covered under warranty on the RSV. I have put over 20k miles on those bikes and loved every single minute of it. Do some research and you will retract your statement.

Find yourself a dealer down there in TX and go for a test ride....I wont be surprised if you end up buying one.

I suggest www.af1racing.com or www.apriliaforum.com Some great info!!

"2"!

I've had my Mille R for about 10k miles now (about 3 years) and I love it! I've had absolutley zero problems with it. It's been a true joy to own. I had two Duc's before that and countless japanese bikes. The Mille is the heat!

Also "2" about www.apriliaforum.com!

Guest soflguy
Ride an 05 636. About to go to UPT. Anyone know if I will have any problems riding during UPT. How about going to trakcdays/Riding schools (if I can find the time)? Barber and Talladega are only 2 hours away :rock:

I just bought my brand new R6 right after starting UPT. No problems, just got told that bikes ruin more peoples flying dreams than anything else.

post-285-1179612963_thumb.jpg

post-285-1179613031_thumb.jpg

Guest Xtndr50boom
got told that bikes ruin more peoples flying dreams than anything else.

Probably spoken by someone who has never ridden. Gotta love 'em

Nice bike!

Does anyone have experience with Buells? The Firebolt is looking pretty sharp! The price is not too shabby for them either (around 6-7K for a used one in great shape).

Just like Harleys, you're going to pay more than its worth. HD and Buell are practically the same company, and Buells suffer the same overpricing problem the HDs suffer.

Buells are not over priced in the used market. You can find fairly new bikes for not too much money. I wish people would ride some other makes of bikes other than japanese, before criticizing every other company. Find a bike you like and get it. Who cares what other people think. Try and ride all kinds...dont limit yourself. Thats the best part of bikes....so many options!!!