Motorcycle Riders Thread

Ram

Nice Duc, they're a blast to ride.

And don't be embarrassed by your Bavarian brick, that's a seriously solid motor that's been around for ages. They are true autobahn cruisers!

• Upvote 1

That's a sweet Ducati! I rode my bike to work for the first time this year and it was about 65 and sunny when I rode in; drizzle and 34 on the way home at around midnight. Wouldn't have been so bad but I have ventilated BMX gloves. Lesson learned, the weather in CO can be deceptive.

Is that a monster spaceman? There's a 900 and 400 out here and I'm thinking about getting one. Is the mx as bad on those as their super sports?

Sharp bike.

Yes sir! It's a Monster 695. The maintenance on these things isn't too bad, especially if you're willing to do it yourself. If you take it to a dealer for everything it gets pretty expensive.

The main item that everyone bitches about is adjusting the valves. It is a pain compared to normal (non-desmo) bikes but not too complicated really. Now mine is 2-valve engine which is the simplest one. If you get a 4-valve (like any of the liquid cooled engines) it is much more involved. Super Sports were all air-cooled 2-valvers I think so it's pretty much the same engine. The nice thing on Monsters though is there's no bodywork so everything is easy to get at.

Mine is actually due for a valve adjustment this spring, but I'm getting ready to leave for OTS in a couple weeks so I don't think I'll get around to it. I'm hoping I'll be able to get it done while I'm on casual or something!

But anyway if you're thinking about picking one up I definitely recommend it! They are a blast to ride and most people will assume you are cool if you ride a Ducati. Even if you're a total dweeb like I am.

That's a sweet Ducati! I rode my bike to work for the first time this year and it was about 65 and sunny when I rode in; drizzle and 34 on the way home at around midnight. Wouldn't have been so bad but I have ventilated BMX gloves. Lesson learned, the weather in CO can be deceptive.

• Upvote 1

Anybody in Colorado Springs looking for a motorcycle? I'm going to be looking to get rid of it this spring/summer. I love it but I feel like it would be a death-trap when I move to Manhattan in the summer. Has an almost brand new chain and sprocket and I'll be putting on a new set of tires here shortly.

post-2445-0-33250100-1363737839_thumb.jp

Yeah I love my SV, it was my first bike and I'm going to miss it. The V-twin is nice for commuting since you don't have to rev like crazy to get torque and the 650 is enough power to have fun but not stupid fast for a first time rider. It was also pretty affordable. Hopefully I'll have the money to get a Ducati at some point in the future.

SV crowd checking in - been riding mine at Harris Hill Raceway outside San Antonio since February.

QhBW67D.jpg

Sexy Ducati Monster spaceman, been eye balling those for a long time. That, and Aprilia, and MV Agusta, and a Triumph...

Edited by xaarman

SV crowd checking in - been riding mine at Harris Hill Raceway outside San Antonio since February.

Sexy Ducati Monster spaceman, been eye balling those for a long time. That, and Aprilia, and MV Agusta, and a Triumph...

Legit!!! And thanks!

I have been wanting to try a track day for a while, but I can't bring myself to do it on the Monster. Parts are too frickin expensive for that thing. Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a track slave that I won't care if I crash a bunch of times. Like a CBR or R6 that already has trashed plastics and looks like crap!

I love Ducati's black and red bikes, I don't really think there's a better combination of sexiness than Ducati and those colors.

Do the track day on the Monster.... all you need is a relatively sporty set of tires and the PPE. Nobody wrecks on their first day, you're still too nervous to push the bike to anywhere near its limits. For example, I didn't even start shifting until my third day.

To anyone else reading this and curious about a track day, DO IT! It's literally the most fun, addicting thing I've ever done, and that feeling is universally shared by everyone who attends. It's safe - there is no gravel, curbs, telephone poles, buildings, cross traffic, or big SUVs waiting to pull out, every turn has a run off area and if worse comes to worst, there is always a paramedic or first responder on duty. The people are amazingly helpful, polite and love newbies. It's one of the major fouls the AF does not push more, and ruins your desire to ride "assertively" on the street.

WRT a track bike, check out your local racing forum (CMRA, NESBA, WERAclassifieds.com) and you'll see some amazing deals eg http://weraclassifie.../07-gsxr-600-3/ or http://www.cmraracin...k-Bike-3-800-00

Edited by xaarman

I ride a DR-650 when I'm not on my RK. Honestly, my DR is way more fun, and I ride it with pretty knobby tires. I love the noise from them, and I still get ~50 mpg. I reworked my suspension on it, so I can comfortably do 80 mph on the freeway, but still rock the offload like a mx'er. If I had to choose one bike, DR-650 would be it. Not as fancy as a KTM, but 1000x more reliable. Things a tank!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can comfortably do 80 mph on the freeway, but still rock the offload like a mx'er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use an an Aprilia SXV 450 to cross train with supermoto. I can comfortably go into corners at 80 mph.. sideways.. on pavement. And then hit a 40' tabletop. Not a tank.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up an older CBR 929RR. Doesn't seem quite as fast as my old R1 but the finish is a little nicer. Oh and it's light! A Ducati will have to wait a few years (apples and oranges between a Japanese I-4 and an Italian twin - I know... Maybe by then a used 1098 will be a little more affordable).

It's an awesome feeling getting back on a bike after a few months of not riding.

Congrats, ride safe! Those bikes are a blast. Any planned changes to it?

I just did a complete suspension swap out with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s in the front and a Penske 8983 shock in the rear, both custom built/sprung for my weight. It's a night and day difference.

Anyone hearing about a new DoD policy for all riders to take Intermediate Rider Safety training within a year of the Basic Riders Course, and then every five years subsequently? Haven't gotten the official word yet, but our safety officer says it's on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

So, just wrapped up day two of a semi epic 7 day ride from FL to DC and back. Riding a fairly stock '02 883...forward controls, no windscreen. Just wanted to see if anyone else had an epic cross-country ride story they wanted to share that's not already on this thread (obviously I'm not a regular visitor to this thread).

Prior to this, my longest ride was in the UK...Cambridge-Oxford-Birmingham-Cambridge...shorter ride, more rain, same bike...

Edit: structure

Edited by zrooster99
  • Upvote 1